NATION

PASSWORD

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In your opinion, do you think God exists?

Yes!
39%
No!
38%
Probably...
7%
Probably Not...
17%

Total votes : 1246

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:02 am

Genivaria wrote:If it did exist then it would be our responsibility as moral human beings to kill the evil creature.

That's already been done.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-completes-52year-mission-to-find-kill-god,19263/

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:50 am

Luveria wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
Well yes, he can. It's not like he's been to outer space.

I see. Then you believe the earth may be flat?

No, but if i did, i would have every right to.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:51 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Who is saying you don't have the right to reject science and replace it with beliefs that are easily proven false?

Caecuser
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:54 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:

As much as I love free speech and free opinions and beliefs and everything... I'm beginning to question that by thinking that nobody should believe the world is flat because they're wrong.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:58 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:
Did you read the link title at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

You've just been proven wrong and you ignore it?

That's nice if you want to believe love isn't explained by biology when that has been proven beyond a doubt. You can also feel free to believe that the earth is flat.

One does not have to go to space to know that the Earth is a spheroid - the curvature of the Earth's surface is demonstrated whenever a sailing ship sails over the horizon then back again.
Last edited by Conscentia on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:09 am

Conscentia wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

One does not have to go to space to know that the Earth is a spheroid - the curvature of the Earth's surface is demonstrated whenever a sailing ship sails over the horizon then back again.

What? Sail over the ... :lol: Who told you that? No one ever does that, why, they'd fall off the edge. :p
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:33 am

The USOT wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:actually in the brain there is no difference.
like many things there is a lot of overlap between atheism and agnosticism based on how you come to the conclusions.
which is why I prefer the Dawkins scale

I have a problem with the Dawkins scale by itself. Mainly that the weak atheist and agnostic position are almost identical, and beyond that its just a system of degree that really puts you into the chart shown earlier.

Personally, I prefer this varient of the earlier chart. To the extent of my knowledge, it covers all possible positions on the atheist/theist agnostic/gnostic spectrum with some small modification (e.g. few would say that a gnostic has to be %100 certain).

that is because they are almost identical. Your chart simplifies it far to much, it puts empirical atheists in the same place as agnostics.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:37 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:

and we have every right to mock you for it, and to ban you from teaching it to children in a government funded school.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:40 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

and we have every right to mock you for it, and to ban you from teaching it to children in a government funded school.

Yes you do.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:41 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:

You don't get rights in academia. You are not free to say whatever you want in academics.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:44 am

Marada wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Not just that - it's not just that they aren't perfect - it's that they must be wrong. The only question is, HOW wrong.

The Old Testament has such a god. He actively punishes those who follow other gods, or even himself if they create images - but is largely indifferent to a simple lack of belief. He even goes so far as to prove his existence when tested.

Or the god that exists is capricious and unjust. You prefer the idea of a just god, but your preference might have no relation to the objective truth.

First part, can you prove scripture must be wrong? You need to study the scriptures in its original language with knowledge of the language and the custom at that time.

Second part, God only punished the worshipper of other gods from the children of israel. No mention in the bible about atheist were exempted. It could be atheist didnt exist. If atheist existed, for sure they wont be exempted from the flood and sodom and gomora.

Third part, indeed you are correct. Since we agree no human can comprehened God if God exist, we should agree that the judgement of the end of days (if God exist) is a prerogative of God.

Thus i cant prove to you that God will be Just in the end of days and you cant prove to me God is unjust before the end of days come. I wasnt trying to persuade you to accept my understanding of the end of days judgement.

Any being that murders children to punish their parents is unjust and unworthy of worship.
The dirt under your feet is more worthy of worship than the being described in any of the bibles.

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 am

Norstal wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

You don't get rights in academia. You are not free to say whatever you want in academics.

But I am free to believe whatever I want in academics.

Caecuser
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:46 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Norstal wrote:You don't get rights in academia. You are not free to say whatever you want in academics.

Personally I disagree, if what you're believing in is explicitly proven to be wrong.

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:48 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Marada wrote:
First part, can you prove scripture must be wrong? You need to study the scriptures in its original language with knowledge of the language and the custom at that time.

Second part, God only punished the worshipper of other gods from the children of israel. No mention in the bible about atheist were exempted. It could be atheist didnt exist. If atheist existed, for sure they wont be exempted from the flood and sodom and gomora.

Third part, indeed you are correct. Since we agree no human can comprehened God if God exist, we should agree that the judgement of the end of days (if God exist) is a prerogative of God.

Thus i cant prove to you that God will be Just in the end of days and you cant prove to me God is unjust before the end of days come. I wasnt trying to persuade you to accept my understanding of the end of days judgement.

Any being that murders children to punish their parents is unjust and unworthy of worship.
The dirt under your feet is more worthy of worship than the being described in any of the bibles.

He murders the children because if he didn't, they would starve to death, a horrible death. The children might have been saved from hell and the curse of their parents. The Old Testament verses of violence don't prove God is evil, but that he is merciful.
Last edited by Polgrusan on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:49 am

Caecuser wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

Personally I disagree, if what you're believing in is explicitly proven to be wrong.

I don't believe the Earth is flat, but I never know if NASA and other space organisations are all lying... I guess I'll have to go to space... Myself 8)
Last edited by Polgrusan on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

East Ormania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:52 am

I believe in one, and i hope i am right.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

Caecuser
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:52 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Caecuser wrote:

I don't believe the Earth is flat, but I never know if NASA and other space organisations are all lying...

You don't need NASA to tell you that the world isn't flat.

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:03 am

East Ormania wrote:I believe in one, and i hope i am right.

I have no doubts about God being real.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:04 am

Polgrusan wrote:
East Ormania wrote:I believe in one, and i hope i am right.

Why not?

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 am

Luveria wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

Why not?

Whenever I pray, I suddenly feel happy, even though I believe the Tribulation is coming soon. It's as if God takes over my mind. Even if he isn't real, it feels great.

Sakash
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sakash » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 am

People Who Say Ni wrote:
Sakash wrote:we are speaking about faith not logic. what you are showing is biology. Faith is not a biological concept, neither is Love.

Love is a biological concept. Love is an intense desire; an emotion triggered in the brain. The evolutionary advantage is obvious.

What you see in biological concept is the physiological result of feeling love. that is not the reason for love. biological explanation never explains why we can feel love for one person but not the other. when we feel love, body responds in a certain way. this way is explained away as love. that is only response not love itself.

Also, your rhetoric is incoherent: all it is telling me is what faith is (although I disagree with your definition, I would imagine). It doesn't tell me why we can believe something based upon faith. Also, assuming faith is an "okay" way of believing, would you be opposed to me being a Hindu or a Muslim? Can't we have faith that leprechauns, fairies and mermaids exist as well?

I would request you to search for Sakash in this thread as i have clarified many aspects about faith in here. if you still need an simple answer,
when we believe in possibility there is hope, when there is hope there is motivation. If we dont believe in anything such a person becomes hopeless and worthless. Faith is a way to access our inherent potentials within out subconscious. Faith is a belief in something unknown and is irrational. Hence a person having faith will remain humble accepting that he doesnt know how or what makes things happen but only remains in faith that faith works. Faith is faith irrespective of religion or object of faith. when faith is based on love then object of faith is immaterial as we remain open to change and revise our understanding about that object until we reach God. This is spiritual growth.

Also, have a look at this:
People Who Say Ni wrote:p1. If He exists, God is omnipotent (all-powerful)
a) An all-powerful god would be able to prevent evil.
p2. If He exists, God is omnibenevolent (all-loving)
a) An all-loving god would be willing to prevent evil.
3. Evil exists.
Therefore, God does not exist.

Finally, I'd ask: "What do you believe and why do you believe it, (in a religious context)?"

People who need to logically explain faith are insecure and dont know what they are talking about. I would ignore them.

I Believe in God as an infinite & absolute source of Peace, Love, Happy, Pure, Wisdom & Power. I receive these qualities when I meditate upon Him. My life becomes better and harmonious. My decisions are more valuable now and my relationships are improving. My faith is working for me. That is why I believe. I belong to Brahma Kumaris organisation. http://www.bkwsu.org

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:Any being that murders children to punish their parents is unjust and unworthy of worship.

He murders the children because if he didn't, they would starve to death, a horrible death. The children might have been saved from hell and the curse of their parents. The Old Testament verses of violence don't prove God is evil, but that he is merciful.

what passage are you talking about?
how does a child with loving parents starve?

also killing a child to keep them from the suffering you ALSO caused is not the act of just being.

is this another translation program problem?
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caecuser
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:11 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:
Why not?

Whenever I pray, I suddenly feel happy, even though I believe the Tribulation is coming soon. It's as if God takes over my mind. Even if he isn't real, it feels great.

Are you sure that is not the placebo effect?

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:11 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

what passage are you talking about?
how does a child with loving parents starve?

You said God kills the children as a punishment for the parents. If the parents are gone, how does a child survive?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:11 am

Caecuser wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:

Are you sure that is not the placebo effect?

or LSD?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General