NATION

PASSWORD

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In your opinion, do you think God exists?

Yes!
39%
No!
38%
Probably...
7%
Probably Not...
17%

Total votes : 1246

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:23 am

Jormengand wrote:
Divair wrote:So you could say that he's.. an agnostic atheist!
gasp shock horror

Yeah, but then the agnostic theist is occupying a rather unfortunate slot in my analysis.

That's their own fault.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:23 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Jormengand wrote:In a sense, I suppose. He's just an atheist who doesn't specifically think God doesn't exist either.

Right, which is the fundamental definition of atheism. Not sure why you made that unnecessarily complicated.

Hey, I was trying to reduce it from their four categories down to three! Give me some credit!
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:24 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Yeah, but then the agnostic theist is occupying a rather unfortunate slot in my analysis.

That's their own fault.

Well, I would say that anyone who thinks God exists and that he doesn't exist has a fairly big problem, to be sure, but...

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:24 am

Jormengand wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Right, which is the fundamental definition of atheism. Not sure why you made that unnecessarily complicated.

Hey, I was trying to reduce it from their four categories down to three! Give me some credit!

This is no free-response test, son.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:25 am

Jormengand wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That's their own fault.

Well, I would say that anyone who thinks God exists and that he doesn't exist has a fairly big problem, to be sure, but...

Go big or go home. *nods*

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:25 am

Jormengand wrote:
Divair wrote:So you could say that he's.. an agnostic atheist!
gasp shock horror

Yeah, but then the agnostic theist is occupying a rather unfortunate slot in my analysis.

A shame for the few agnostic theists out there.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 am

Jormengand wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Agnostic by itself is not a third option.

Oh, please. Having "Agnostic atheists" and "Agnostic theists" is like having "Straight bisexuals" and "Gay bisexuals."

The atheist believes that God doesn't exist, and doesn't believe He does exist.
The theist doesn't believe that God doesn't exist, and believes He does exist.
The agnostic doesn't believe that God doesn't exist, and doesn't believe He does exist.

There, three categories, done.

Now can we please resume saving the world?

Not at all, agnosticism means not knowing for sure.
A Gnostic Theist knows there is a God.
An Agnostic Theist thinks there is a God, but isn't sure.
A Gnostic Atheist knows there isn't a God.
An Agnostic Atheist thinks there isn't a God, but isn't sure.
Of course we could separate the theists and atheists down into each religion; for example:
A Gnostic Theist Christian knows there is the Christian God.
An Agnostic Theist Christian thinks there is the Christian God, but isn't sure.
A Gnostic Atheist Christian knows the Christian God doesn't exist.
An Agnostic Atheist Christian thinks the Christian God doesn't exist, but isn't sure.
This second level is rather trivial, however, because it makes it look like theists of one religion are atheists considering a different religion.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:29 am

Lost heros wrote:A Gnostic Theist knows there is a God.

What about someone who has no opinion on whether or not there's a God? Do they fall into Agnostic Atheist because they don't specifically believe that there is a god? But then, the agnostic theist doesn't really believe there's a god, they just think there might be. Does that mean they're an atheist too?

I have a new idea, let's put all these people together and just call them agnostics for simplicity. Oh, wait.

(Anyway, aren't we supposed to be debating whether or not God exists rather than dreaming up names for people who don't know whether or not He exists?)

Kzaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kzaria » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:31 am

Korena wrote:So, what do you think? Do you think God (the one that is mentioned in the Bible) actually exists? It's a question that I want to hear (hopefully different) answers and explanations for. Remember, nobody should try and force their own religion on others. I just would like to hear your opinion and some explanation as to why or why not, and maybe respectful response to others' arguments.

No I belive in Hellenism (the Greek Gods,Goddess'and Nymphs and such
You can't spell Slaughter with out Laughter XD
(Underlined it so its easy to see)
Also can't spell Awesome without me!

Kzaria
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kzaria » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

Kzaria wrote:
Korena wrote:So, what do you think? Do you think God (the one that is mentioned in the Bible) actually exists? It's a question that I want to hear (hopefully different) answers and explanations for. Remember, nobody should try and force their own religion on others. I just would like to hear your opinion and some explanation as to why or why not, and maybe respectful response to others' arguments.

You can look at my factbook a look into Hellenism for deatils

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

Jormengand wrote:
Lost heros wrote:A Gnostic Theist knows there is a God.

What about someone who has no opinion on whether or not there's a God?
Somewhere between Agnostic Atheist and Agnostic Theist, leaning towards Atheist.
Do they fall into Agnostic Atheist because they don't specifically believe that there is a god?
Yes.
But then, the agnostic theist doesn't really believe there's a god, they just think there might be. Does that mean they're an atheist too?

No. If they think there is a God they are a theist. If they aren't sure they are agnostic.

I have a new idea, let's put all these people together and just call them agnostics for simplicity. Oh, wait.

That would ignore all Gnostics.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 am

Lost heros wrote:That would ignore all Gnostics.

No, "Gnostics" are theists and atheists. People who actually think they know whether or not god exists. Agnostics are people who don't, regardless of what probabilities they assign to it.

Kzaria
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kzaria » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 am

Kzaria wrote:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 am

Jormengand wrote:
Lost heros wrote:That would ignore all Gnostics.

No, "Gnostics" are theists and atheists. People who actually think they know whether or not god exists. Agnostics are people who don't, regardless of what probabilities they assign to it.

Again, wrong.

agnostic
Syllabification: (ag·nos·tic)
Pronunciation: /agˈnästik/
Translate agnostic | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Agnostic doesn't mean, "I don't believe God does or does not exist." It means that you actively believe that you cannot know. It is NOT, nor can it be, a third option all on its own.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 am

Mavorpen wrote:Agnostic doesn't mean, "I don't believe God does or does not exist." It means that you actively believe that you cannot know. It is NOT, nor can it be, a third option all on its own.

My point is, there are people who believe that god exists, people who believe he does not and people who believe neither. Those are my categories, and I don't really care what probabilities you assign to God X existing, only whether you think he does exist, think he doesn't or think you don't know.

Now can we please go slightly closer to the topic? Please?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 am

Jormengand wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Agnostic doesn't mean, "I don't believe God does or does not exist." It means that you actively believe that you cannot know. It is NOT, nor can it be, a third option all on its own.

My point is, there are people who believe that god exists, people who believe he does not and people who believe neither. Those are my categories, and I don't really care what probabilities you assign to God X existing, only whether you think he does exist, think he doesn't or think you don't know.

Now can we please go slightly closer to the topic? Please?

So your point had nothing to do with our discussion?

...Okay?

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 am

The New World Oceania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Right, which is the fundamental definition of atheism. Not sure why you made that unnecessarily complicated.

So atheism is not a lack of belief in a god, but a lack of belief in a lack of belief in a god.

Not sure why you made that unnecessarily complicated.

What?
Atheism is literally just that first part.
A lack of belief in a deity.

So if someone says "Im agnostic because I dont know/am undecided" untill they have a belief either way, they are an agnostic atheist.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 am

The USOT wrote:
So atheism is not a lack of belief in a god, but a lack of belief in a lack of belief in a god.

Not sure why you made that unnecessarily complicated.

What?

So if someone says "Im agnostic because I dont know/am undecided" untill they have a belief either way, they are an agnostic atheist.

The earlier argument was involved with Mavorpen and he can't be wrong so you have to fight him with sass regardless of whether the argument makes sense or not.
The topic is changing too drastically at this point, however.
Last edited by The New World Oceania on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 am

The USOT wrote:What?

The earlier argument was involved with Mavorpen and he can't be wrong so you have to fight him with sass regardless of whether the argument makes sense or not.
...but he is right? I mean he provided the definition for you...

He claimed
Not believing in God makes you an atheist.

"Agnostic" is not a third option. You either don't believe in a deity/deities, or you don't.
He even provided a quote to demonstrate this. Incidently if you want a real world example of his point in practice, if you want to have agnostic as its own position (despite as shown evidence to the contrary) then Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet who even accepted the title of "the four horsemen of atheism" would not be atheist. ALL identified as agnostic.

I will give you Mavorpen has Sass, but he provided definitions and demonstrations to back up his point. It was not nonsensical at all.

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 am

The USOT wrote:

He claimed

"Agnostic" is not a third option. You either don't believe in a deity/deities, or you don't.
He even provided a quote to demonstrate this. Incidently if you want a real world example of his point in practice, if you want to have agnostic as its own position (despite as shown evidence to the contrary) then Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet who even accepted the title of "the four horsemen of atheism" would not be atheist. ALL identified as agnostic.

I will give you Mavorpen has Sass, but he provided definitions and demonstrations to back up his point. It was not nonsensical at all.

I thought New Atheists used the Dawkins scale? http://dirkpurvy.files.wordpress.com/20 ... .png?w=640
Which would still allow for a middle ground between Atheism and Theism, but still allow those Atheists not 100% convinced, to still be Atheists.
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethical and Metaphysical: (Pan) Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical Civic universalist on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:59 am

The USOT wrote:

He claimed

You're right in that it wasn't nonsensical, but since several arguments were going on about related (but different) topics at once, it was difficult to maintain clarity.

On an entirely unrelated note, how are we defining the "Christian God?" What's to differentiate between a Catholic interpretation and a Mormon interpretation? And since some churches view Christ and God as one entity, would both have to be proven to prove one, or vice versa?
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

We actually had perfectly good words in "Atheist", "Agnostic", and "Theist" for the longest time. Then the semantic bullshit of "Well, if you're agnostic, then you don't really BELIEVE in God, which makes you a kind of atheist" started, which, despite all of my respect for the New Atheist movement, is so smug and cutesy that it makes me want to vomit.

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:01 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:We actually had perfectly good words in "Atheist", "Agnostic", and "Theist" for the longest time. Then the semantic bullshit of "Well, if you're agnostic, then you don't really BELIEVE in God, which makes you a kind of atheist" started, which, despite all of my respect for the New Atheist movement, is so smug and cutesy that it makes me want to vomit.

I prefer petty fidians, and nullifidians myself.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:We actually had perfectly good words in "Atheist", "Agnostic", and "Theist" for the longest time. Then the semantic bullshit of "Well, if you're agnostic, then you don't really BELIEVE in God, which makes you a kind of atheist" started, which, despite all of my respect for the New Atheist movement, is so smug and cutesy that it makes me want to vomit.

Yeah, the New Atheist movement didn't start that battle.

The silly Christian crowd claimed that atheism means "you believe God doesn't exist" and pretended as though this is enough to make atheism an article of faith. Their goal is to prove that atheists are no better than they are and that they also adhere to their own "religion." Thus, they paint agnosticism as the "middle ground," and atheism as a fringe religious belief.

The argument of agnosticism not meaning what they want it to mean was a response to said bullshit.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:06 am

NEO Rome Republic wrote:
The USOT wrote:...but he is right? I mean he provided the definition for you...

He claimed

I thought New Atheists used the Dawkins scale? http://ntrygg.files.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -scale.jpg
Which would still allow for a middle ground between Atheism and Theism, but still allow those Atheists not 100% convinced, to still be Atheists.

Not all agree with the Dawkins scale taken literally. Even Dawkins takes it with a pinch of salt placing himself at a 6 but calling himself agnostic.

This chart is what tends to be used.
ImageIts generally useful because it removes all the dilly dallying of theistic/atheistic positioning and can sum up whatever diverse and complex belief system you have regarding the belief in a god in a combination of four words.

Agnostic Atheist
Gnostic Atheist
Agnostic Theist
Gnostic Theist.

As I have said before, people are fine to have whatever definitions they want, but they A) complicate things and B) have to call Richard Dawkins not an Atheist (if you go with the definition of New World Order anyway).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General