NATION

PASSWORD

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

In your opinion, do you think God exists?

Yes!
39%
No!
38%
Probably...
7%
Probably Not...
17%

Total votes : 1246

Korena
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

Postby Korena » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 pm

So, what do you think? Do you think God (the one that is mentioned in the Bible) actually exists? It's a question that I want to hear (hopefully different) answers and explanations for. Remember, nobody should try and force their own religion on others. I just would like to hear your opinion and some explanation as to why or why not, and maybe respectful response to others' arguments.
President: Mason U. Jin
Vice President: Vestor Roh
Secretary of State: Henry T. Kim
Secretary of Defense: Eric Yoh
Secretary of Treasury: Amy Yang
Attorney General: William E. Lang

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm pretty sure that there is already a thread for this.

The Shia Califate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shia Califate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm

The Christian god = the muslim god = the jewish god = pretty much all gods.

Hint: There is only one God.
Likes: Religion, Iran, Capitalism, Business, Democracy, Theocracy
Dislikes: Anarchy, Atheism, Polytheism, Kurds, Unions
Neuhausen wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Hell, in most Islamic countries, male homosexuality is punishable by death, while female homosexuality is legal.

Don't worry. I'm equally (lesbians also) against same-sex marriage.

I apologize for my strange sense of grammar; I type like Charles Dickens fell down the stairs and suffered a traumatic injury

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:I'm pretty sure that there is already a thread for this.

That thread is on God in general. This one is specifically on the Christian God.

Imperia Mlytoria
Envoy

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperia Mlytoria » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

No.

Korena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Korena » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:I'm pretty sure that there is already a thread for this.

I couldn't find one. The only other Christian thread I could find was one that compared different types of Christianity, which really excludes those that don't believe in God. I wanted to have one where I could read the arguments of believers AND atheists.
Last edited by Korena on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

depends on what you believe
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Sapin Military District
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapin Military District » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

If god doesn't exist, then why does a tissue pop up every time you take the old one out of the box?

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Sapin Military District wrote:If god doesn't exist, then why does a tissue pop up every time you take the old one out of the box?

O_O
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Why don't you ask him?
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Imperia Mlytoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperia Mlytoria » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Sapin Military District wrote:If god doesn't exist, then why does a tissue pop up every time you take the old one out of the box?
You can't explain that!

The Shia Califate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shia Califate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:26 pm

UED wrote:depends on what you believe

They're trying to ask you what you believe.
Likes: Religion, Iran, Capitalism, Business, Democracy, Theocracy
Dislikes: Anarchy, Atheism, Polytheism, Kurds, Unions
Neuhausen wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Hell, in most Islamic countries, male homosexuality is punishable by death, while female homosexuality is legal.

Don't worry. I'm equally (lesbians also) against same-sex marriage.

I apologize for my strange sense of grammar; I type like Charles Dickens fell down the stairs and suffered a traumatic injury

UED
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 pm

The Shia Califate wrote:

They're trying to ask you what you believe.

Well, i'm Buddhist so in my opinion god doesn't exist.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Prediction: Christians, Jews, and Muslims will say yes; everyone else will say no.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Korena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Korena » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Prediction: Christians, Jews, and Muslims will say yes; everyone else will say no.

That's the point. I want to see arguments made by both sides...

Imperia Mlytoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperia Mlytoria » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 pm

The existence of something does not depend upon what one believes. Something either is, or is not. If a thing is, those who believe it is not are simply wrong, and those who believe it is are right; if a thing is not, those who believe it is are simply wrong, and those who believe it is not are right.

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Imperia Mlytoria wrote:
The existence of something does not depend upon what one believes. Something either is, or is not. If a thing is, those who believe it is not are simply wrong, and those who believe it is are right; if a thing is not, those who believe it is are simply wrong, and those who believe it is not are right.

I love your argument, it's... original.

:p

Resawa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Here we go..

Korena
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Korena » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Imperia Mlytoria wrote:

Quite true. :lol:

So maybe give a 'why' as to why you think God doesn't exist?

Imperia Mlytoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperia Mlytoria » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Korena wrote:
Imperia Mlytoria wrote:The existence of something does not depend upon what one believes. Something either is, or is not. If a thing is, those who believe it is not are simply wrong, and those who believe it is are right; if a thing is not, those who believe it is are simply wrong, and those who believe it is not are right.

Quite true. :lol:

So maybe give a 'why' as to why you think God doesn't exist?
Well, the absolute, complete, omnipresent nonexistence of even the teeniest, tiniest little stitch of evidence that would support such a claim, throughout the entire world and universe, sure doesn't help my "faith."

If anything resembling the Christian idea of god -- lordship over heaven and all -- does exist, either it will be sensible enough to admit me to heaven in light of my having the brains and balls to see there's no evidence of its existence in the natural world and man up and not believe in it until the moment I see it with my own two eyes, ...

... or I won't want to be in a "heaven" made by an irrational, tyrranical god that insists I believe in it in spite of the the apparently most logical option anyway; in fact, under the commonly held Christian view that nonbelievers go to hell, I'd imagine that the idea of "hell" to such a god -- filled with many scientiststs, and probably most of my friends and family -- would be far more pleasant to me anyway.

Why, then, would I even want to put irrational "faith" in such a god and have a ghost of a chance of getting into heaven, when hell is decidedly the better option?

Novalandia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Novalandia » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Checkmate Atheists! :lol2:

-------------------------------------

I believe he doesn't. I mean, if none of the other gods exist, why should the Abrahamic one exist?
Novalandia is an autocratic, fascist-like empire ruled by an AI, though the vast majority of the populace are unaware of that fact.

***Nation does not represent my beliefs***

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm

The Shia Califate wrote:The Christian god = the muslim god = the jewish god = pretty much all gods.

Hint: There is only one God.

But he's like a babushka doll.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm glad someone finally asked this question on NSG.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

There's no evidence for the Christian god's existence.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Resawa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:There's no evidence for the Christian god's existence.

But is there evidence he does not?
Just playing devils advocate, I'm not Christian

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General