NATION

PASSWORD

How should the US handle relations with China?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

How should the US handle relations with China?

Postby Blasveck » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm

It's been a while since we've had a foreign policy thread so I figured, why not?

With Vice President Biden's visits in the Eastern Pacific, the US and China are going to be competing for influence and trade partners within that area.

So, NSG, how do you think the US (or China, take your pick) should move forward with relations in that area?
Should the US move forward with a more militaristic bent?
Or seek better trade opportunities?
Should it strengthen relations with its two best allies in the region, Japan and South Korea?

Because as China's power grows, so does its' desire for Pacific dominance. And with partners like Japan and South Korea, the US certainly isn't interested in sharing power.

What say ye, NSG?
Forever a Communist

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Keep relations with SK and Japan good. Improve and reach out to other countries (such as India). Continue the pivot to Asia. Keep trade ties open with China.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Obviously we should make clear our support for free and democratic elections to ensure the Kuomintang does not institute a one-party state as they had for a while. Maintaining our posture of trade and military guarantee of their sovereignty in the face of their rebellious provinces on the mainland would probably be helpful as well.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 pm

The US-China economic relationship seems to be taking a frosty turn. The US is constantly complaining about Chinese export subsidization and currency manipulation (some are even suggesting retaliatory tariffs as an option), and is trying to block a lot of technology exchanges from going on (the ban on Chinese nationals visiting NASA facilities and the various aerospace trade restrictions, for example).

Some people in Washington are convinced that the PRC is the next "evil empire" that must be contained. I would favor a more open (though still reserved) relationship with China. Political reforms are kind of inevitable as their middle class and economy grows.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lianhua (Ancient)
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lianhua (Ancient) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Keep applying pressure on those civil rights issues, and not get involved in the territorial rows the PRC has with its neighbors. They'll sort it out themselves.

Oh, and turn the other cheek as we naughtily try and penetrate the European markets.
21 y.o. Sine-Japanese female from Tokyo, Japan; Song Xingyiquan/Dai Xinyiquan/Xinyi Liuhe Quan. Sister+Lover of Kapao Pango & Nabeshima. <3.

Careful, jack. My patience has limits, unlike my Kung Fuuuuuuuu.. (^~^) - Lian Sifu

Resistance is futile if less than one ohm.
Remember this, and you shall go far.
Taoist-Buddhist; apparently retainer and daughter of Divair and Stern des Meeres, and sister to Aeken.

I love you, -New Sealand-! Why so pretty, Chinese lady? <3 RenaxJiao!
Quotes about me go here, because I still want a sig, tyvm. Also, Esternial
ヽ(^Д^)ノ Bee doo bee doo bee doo! ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ

Azaflaza
Senator

Founded: Jun 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Azaflaza » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 pm

David cameron is visiting china at the moment for trade talks, but they requested that he never meet with the Dalai lama again or else trade is off the menu, to which he agreed. Personally I'm torn between the economic security of Britain and my ethics. I'm aware money should come second to morality but ruining relations with china isn't likely to change there stance on human rights.

Pingxiang
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pingxiang » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

The US use to have very good ties to China during WW II. So why not continue this historical trend. When it comes to territories claimed by China and Japan, they needed to work this out but only years after the war ended. Afterll, China had more pressing problems since it was involved in a civil war and then in economic development and rebuilding of the economy.

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:49 pm

The US should seek better trade relations with China; China is already looking at the US dollar warily, and it is best to make it easy for them to retain their confidence in the US's currency. Furthermore, enough with the complaining about the Chinese artificially keeping the yuan low; the US needs China's savings if they are going to be able to sustain their enormous public and private debt, and it's not as though many of the US's products are worth exporting anyway.

Furthermore, the US should find a way to extricate itself from the situation concerning North and South Korea, so that the preceding and their neighbors can work things out; China doesn't like having such craziness on its border, but it sure as Hell doesn't want any US style regime change so close to home.
Last edited by Seleucas on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Dragomere
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomere » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Blasveck wrote:It's been a while since we've had a foreign policy thread so I figured, why not?

With Vice President Biden's visits in the Eastern Pacific, the US and China are going to be competing for influence and trade partners within that area.

So, NSG, how do you think the US (or China, take your pick) should move forward with relations in that area?
Should the US move forward with a more militaristic bent?
Or seek better trade opportunities?
Should it strengthen relations with its two best allies in the region, Japan and South Korea?

Because as China's power grows, so does its' desire for Pacific dominance. And with partners like Japan and South Korea, the US certainly isn't interested in sharing power.

What say ye, NSG?

I say that the US should enforce our opportunities for trade with military force intervention.
Senator Draco Dragomere of the NSG Senate
DEFCON 1=Total War
DEFCON 2=Conflict
DEFCON 3=Peace Time
CURRENT LEVEL=DEFCON 2
The Great Dragomerian War
War on Dragomere- MT
NONE CURRENTLY

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm

How should the US handle relations with China? Carefully.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Obviously we should make clear our support for free and democratic elections to ensure the Kuomintang

WTF?

Oh, you're holding on to the quaint-but-false notion that Taiwan is somehow the "real China."

It's not.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Recognize the Republic of China as the rightful government of China, demand the imposters in Beijing to cut their support to the DPRK, and reopen our bases in the Philippines.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 pm

We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.
For: Canoli's, NFL, Christmas, Thanksgiving, pizza, ice cream, watermelon, doggies, snow, summer nights, Santa Claus

Against: Slushy stuff that snow turns into after it rains, feminists,I kinda dislike anime, when people call American Football "egghand" because that is a stupid name even if it has some logic

Zhe pure und righteous rashe of dogs und canine zhuperiors zhat are deshtined to vrule zhe vorld! -The New Sea Territory

I am Roman Catholic.
Don't ask to source everything I say.
Blazedtown wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

We don't need the PRC, we have Santa.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 pm

German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

We don't need the PRC, we have Santa.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Obviously we should make clear our support for free and democratic elections to ensure the Kuomintang

WTF?

Oh, you're holding on to the quaint-but-false notion that Taiwan is somehow the "real China."

It's not.

Yeah. Taiwan should declare independence, be admitted in the UN and have American support.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Estado Paulista wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:WTF?

It's not.

Yeah. Taiwan should declare independence, be admitted in the UN and have American support.

What an absurd notion.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Estado Paulista wrote:

What an absurd notion.

Why?

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Perhaps we should actually collaborate, since we are on the downward slope of history. We can't maintain empire forever. We can either break and fall, or bend and float. I would prefer the latter.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Estado Paulista wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:What an absurd notion.

Why?

It was poorly executed /sarc...just...nevermind carry on.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Strengthen relations. The US, Japan, SK, NK, China, Russia need to all improve relations, cooperate with eachother and even ally.

New Nassrau
Senator

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Nassrau » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

The People's Republic of China is a menace to the Western World, and should be dealt with by strong diplomacy and containment
-Wombat Character
-Martina Del Sol looks like this
Sexy Nass Looks like this
I try my best RP-ing now a different character, like… this woman
-Nass adoptive parent of Aidannadia
-Friends are mostly everyone in Wombat
-Torrocca and I are not dating
-RIP, I WILL MISS THIS

I'm Jewish, AKA I killed Jesus
Lanos... where are you

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 pm

New Laikland wrote:Strengthen relations. The US, Japan, SK, NK, China, Russia need to all improve relations, cooperate with eachother and even ally.

never going to happen, to much blood has been spilled between China, Japan, and the Koreas, plus NK's leadership certifiably crazy.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 pm

New Laikland wrote:Strengthen relations. The US, Japan, SK, NK, China, Russia need to all improve relations, cooperate with eachother and even ally.

And then disarm, light a fire in a fireplace and sing Kumbaya.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 pm

New Nassrau wrote:The People's Republic of China is a menace to the Western World, and should be dealt with by strong diplomacy and containment

I agree. :clap:

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

With thermonuclear weapons.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General