NATION

PASSWORD

What is the problem with American politics?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is the problem with American politics?

Gridlock
6%
Campaign finance legislation
1%
Lack of third parties
21%
A combination of the above
48%
Other(please specify)
11%
The media and government are oligarchies
13%

Total votes : 356

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:48 pm

It is that we let some of the most ignorant people in the world be involved in politics at all, when governance should be left to the superior gentlemen.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:21 pm

The Godly Nations wrote:It is that we let some of the most ignorant people in the world be involved in politics at all, when governance should be left to the superior gentlemen.

Fuck no. It's bad enough that general elections for electing the President don't technically exist as per the Constitution.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:Politicians shouldn't force businesses to provide medical care...

Actually, I don't think businesses should be providing health insurance at all. That's why I'd prefer to see government-funded universal health care, preferably delivered by a public health system augmented by private specialty providers, and paid for through some kind of social insurance program, either on the French or German model (the tax that pays for the German model is shared by employer and employee alike, which is similar to the American model for Social Security; the French funding model [which I would prefer] is paid for by the employee alone). Private insurance should be available as an add-on, but it should not be needed for most individuals.

Requiring businesses to provide health insurance reduces worker mobility; health coverage should be portable, so that individuals can retain their coverage even as their employment circumstances change. This is one of the positive benefits of the ACA: Businesses that essentially turn their employees loose to buy health through the State and Federal exchanges are doing their workers a favor, because those workers can choose the plan that best suits their needs and then take it with them when they go someplace else.

Another drawback of requiring employers to provide health insurance is that is distorts the labor market in all sorts of ways that are undesirable. For one thing, it fosters age discrimination (even with the ACA, it costs more to insure an older worker than a younger one), which is highly undesirable in any society. Better that employees and society in general bear the cost of health care, and labor cost be kept free of complications.

Freiheit Reich wrote:... hospitals are businesses and should have the right to accept or deny medical care to anybody they choose.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the story of Harry T. Moore.

Moore was Executive Director of the Florida NAACP in the late 1940's and early 1950's. On Christmas Night of 1951, he and his wife were mortally wounded by a bomb that had been planted in the floorboards underneath their bed.

Moore was taken by neighbors to the nearest hospital, where he was refused treatment. He subsequently died en route to a second hospital that was over an hour away.

Granted, Moore was refused treatment because he was a black man who had been targeted for death by the KKK in the Jim Crow South; but the mere idea that a person who is fighting for his or her life can be refused treatment "for any reason" is morally repugnant. Private property is all very well and good, but once you've accepted a public license to practice medicine, you owe something to society for allowing you to hold a position of such great responsibility and high esteem.

Today this would be bad publicity for the hospital which might reduce business. Most hospitalswould provide minimum and cheap treatment for emergency cases (ex. bandages to slow the bleeding) to avoid bad publicity although they wouldn't provide expensive treatments to people unwilling to pay. Yes, some will die but there will probably be some lower quality charity hospitals set up to help the poor. Businesses, whether it is a barber shop, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, or a hospital, should have the right to refuse service to those who can't pay. Additionally, the govt. needs to get out of the occupational licensing business. Private professional groups can do this. There will be shady low quality doctors that don't belong to the private certification groups but many customers will refuse to go to these doctors.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Capital Zealand
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Capital Zealand » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:22 am

All of the above three.
Why did omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent God create impotent, anti-scientific, never-present-day, malevolent man?
When a discriminator invasion occurs in a thread, leave the thread. If you don't want to, then ignore their comments. Never give them attention.
Impeach government, legalize freedom, welfare is theft. RICHARD MCGRATH 2014
NZ ☆☆ Is for capitalizm, libertarianizm, McGrathism and zealousness.
ZN ☆☆ Is against Aussieism and commieism.

Oppressed Slaver Union
Envoy

Founded: Jul 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oppressed Slaver Union » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:27 am

Shouldn't the all of the above option be on the bottom?
It is all of them.
You could very easily make a Pelican variant capable of killing up to 39 Marines when it crashes while the Master Chief climbs out to go it alone.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: What is the problem with American politics?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:Today this would be bad publicity for the hospital which might reduce business. Most hospitalswould provide minimum and cheap treatment for emergency cases (ex. bandages to slow the bleeding) to avoid bad publicity although they wouldn't provide expensive treatments to people unwilling to pay. Yes, some will die but there will probably be some lower quality charity hospitals set up to help the poor. Businesses, whether it is a barber shop, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, or a hospital, should have the right to refuse service to those who can't pay. Additionally, the govt. needs to get out of the occupational licensing business. Private professional groups can do this. There will be shady low quality doctors that don't belong to the private certification groups but many customers will refuse to go to these doctors.

Is there some reason you think it would be good for humanity to make the world a Hellscape for the poor?
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Sealand of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sealand of America » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Trezchoix wrote:Heavy mixture of all and uninformed voters.

This is also very true.

So which way is an informed voter suppose to vote.
Patriarchy my favorite mythology

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: What is the problem with American politics?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:32 am

Sealand of America wrote:So which way is an informed voter suppose to vote.

The obvious answer to that question is: "The same way I do."
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:02 am

Cracked? Really?

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 am

Divair wrote:

Cracked? Really?

What's wrong with cracked?
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Cookie Clickers
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cookie Clickers » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:47 am

A lack of Cookies in politics.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt and a glass of milk. Chocolate milk.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 am

Cookie Clickers wrote:A lack of Cookies in politics.

*** Warned for spam ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ardkonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardkonia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:01 am

It puts it's nose not where they should.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21
I'm actually an Ordoliberal.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=270920
Tsardom of Ardkonia factbook.

Gerada
Civilian

Founded: Aug 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

american politics

Postby Gerada » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:04 am

i am a american but i am not proud of it. in many instances when i have spoken to other individuials they have called me "anti-American" because of the facts about how america has sponsered terroism, how it has caused disorder in the world, how it has not even made a single attempt to make civil discussions with the people they continue to supress.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:04 am

Ardkonia wrote:It puts it's nose not where they should.

American politics does that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The US government might but our internal politics? And why are you whispering?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:10 am

The problem lies in two things: A) the system itself makes it very hard for positive legislative or judicial changes to occur, and B) the American public is largely misinformed and ignorant and politicians play off of that.
✡☭♀

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Divair wrote:

Cracked? Really?

Actually, Cracked does do a lot of "Fucked up but true" articles. Well, most of them are more "Fucked up if we didn't conveniently forget to mention key details". Like this one.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General