NATION

PASSWORD

What is the problem with American politics?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is the problem with American politics?

Gridlock
6%
Campaign finance legislation
1%
Lack of third parties
21%
A combination of the above
48%
Other(please specify)
11%
The media and government are oligarchies
13%

Total votes : 356

Liechenstein
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liechenstein » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Liechenstein wrote:A arguable but nonetheless interesting point and that is one of the arguments some have made to return Senate elections to State legislators as they were originally.

Then you'd complain about the corrupt state legislatures electing Senators.

Well that was one of the arguments that people made when originally taking it away. Also it is difficult for people to make that point due to the Senators originally representing States or their governments while the people had their own elected body (the House) and elected their State Legislature (and could thus get rid of them or influence the Legislature to care [easier than influencing the Federal Congress]). Regardless of what happens there will be someone unhappy. I honestly don't see this country going back on its current track but, we shall see over time how the cards are played and their respective effects.
Last edited by Liechenstein on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: What is the problem with American politics?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Shilya wrote:There are factors that support that. For one, the american system with its preliminaries and whatnot favours the incumbent. While the challenging candidates are busy throwing dirt at each other, the incumbent can just sit around presidently and be above such quarrels. He comes off as more dignified. Nearly all elections favour incumbents for this reason. The incumbent is seen as suitable for the office by virtue of already having it.

I disagree that this is the mechanism whereby most incumbents win reelection.

The problem most challengers have in defeating an incumbent lies in the difficulty challengers have in accepting the earlier election results, seeing the incumbent as legitimate, and then acting on the basis of that knowledge to construct an effect coalition for his or her removal.

More specifically: If you think about any election, it should be clear that the winner has NECESSARILY assembled a coalition sufficient to win REELECTION barring no defections from that coalition. IOW, if <Candidate A> wins office in <Year X>, and none of his supporters abandon him come the next election in <Year Y>, then MATHEMATICALLY he cannot lose in his effort to secure reelection (unless there are a whole lot of new voters who didn't participate in the election last time around. A winning coalition, once established, should be able to continue to win until it is demolished.

Losing Parties NEVER go into an incumbent's reelection campaign thinking about the race in these terms. They always seem to have a hard time believing they lost the last time around, and in the vast majority of campaigns all they want to do is relitigate the last race — a strategy that will almost always produce the same result (i.e., defeat), since most of its "charm" lies in trying to convince the voters that they fucked up last time around. "We had the right idea, the right candidate, and the right platform, but you people just didn't GET it!" is NOT an effective campaign theme (see ASB's First Rule of Successful Campaigning™: "Don't insult people if you want them to vote for you"), yet far too often that seems to be the way challengers try to unseat an incumbent. In particular, it was the (implicit) strategy used by Kerry against Bush ("We Democrats can't believe you people voted for Jar-Jar Bush in '00; please pull your heads out of your asses and try again") and by Romney against Obama ("We Republicans can't believe you people voted for Obummer in '08; please pull YOUR heads out of YOUR asses and try again").

No, a SENSIBLE strategy involves:

1. Recognizing that the incumbent earned the trust and support of enough of the electorate to win last time around.

2. Understanding WHY the incumbent was able to do so.

3. Indentifying vulnerable elements within the incumbent's coalition who might be peeled away and aligned behind the challenger.

4. Making a case in favor of such a realignment, NOT on the basis of the failed arguments of the last campaign, but with full understanding, acknowledgement, and ACCEPTANCE of the choice the target audience made, followed by a cogent argument for why a different choice is called for THIS time around.
Political Parties have a hard time doing this, because they have a hard time admitting that the People didn't agree with them in the last campaign. Part of the problem lies in the fact that those running such campaigns made the opposite choice last time around, so clearly those old (and failed) arguments convinced THEM; that they didn't convince OTHERS is therefore hard to accept ("Why can't EVERYBODY see the world as clearly as I do?!?"), which is why you see so many assertions to the effect that the People "were stupid", "were fooled", voted for the incumbent for superficial reasons or because the incumbent pandered effectively for their votes, etc. These are all less than helpful ways of looking at the previous election, yet invariably they end up becoming part of the basis for the campaign to unseat the incumbent.

The thing is, if your argument didn't work LAST time, it'll probably fail THIS time as well. THAT'S what most political Parties fail to grasp, and it kills them again and again and again and again.

Take '04 as an example: The great issue of the '00 campaign was what to do with the growing budget surplus. Gore wanted to use it to lower the debt and place Social Security on a firmer footing, while Bush wanted to give it back to the public in the form of tax cuts. Bush effectively "won the argument", so all of Kerry's subsequent critiques of Bush's handling of the budget should have been couched in such terms as to ACKNOWLEDGE this fact, using an argument such as this:

In 2000, the American People spoke: They said they wanted most of the surplus we had built up at the end of the last decade returned to them in the form of tax cuts. When they did this, the did not vote to take us back into the era of chronic budget deficits, but rather for an era of balanced budgets, in which lower taxes would be paid for by prudence in spending. What the People did not foresee — indeed, what no one COULD foresee, especially in a world where America appeared to be the last Great Power, was that the actions of a few fanatics would lead us into a costly overseas war.

Yet here we are at war, and it does not appear that we will be back at peace any time soon. Can we afford to pretend that no war is going on, that this war isn't costing us billions each year, and that these billions are having no effect on our budget or our National debt? No, we cannot. We should have rolled back the cuts when we realized that we'd be sending our military into harm's way, in order to be able to sustain the conflict without driving our Nation back into debt again. But it's not too late for us to do that; we can still repeal those tax cuts, fix the problem, and then finish this war. Once it's over and our fiscal house is once more in order, we can then reconsider cutting taxes again.

The value of this approach is that it doesn't reject the last election; rather, it AFFIRMS it. It doesn't say to Bush supporters, "You were wrong." Rather, it says, "We hear you and accept your choice, but now things have changed; shouldn't you reconsider your decision in light of this?"

The Republicans COULD have done something similar in 2012: Indeed, unlike John Kerry in 2004 (who was seeking to build upon the foundation Al Gore left him in 2000 — a year in which it could be argued that Democrats had actually WON the electoral argument in popular terms [due to the fact that Gore won more of the popular vote than Bush]), Mitt Romney could not hope to win without expanding his base beyond that which John McCain had left him in 2008. Indeed, it should have been obvious that if Barack Obama won the support of all the same people he'd carried in 2008, he'd win reelection without breaking a sweat.

So here's the question we need to ask ourself about the Romney campaign in 2012: What did they do to persuade people who voted for OBAMA in 2008 to vote for Romney in 2012 INSTEAD?

Political analysts and observers are not used to thinking of elections in these terms (i.e., "What do I need to do to get the other guys' supporters to change sides"). They think in terms of their OWN base, their OWN supporters, their OWN strengths, but never in terms of taking voters AWAY from the other candidate. Any sane observer of politics would grasp immediately and intuitively that taking votes AWAY from the incumbent is the only way to keep the incumbent from repeating their success, yet seldom if ever does a challenger actually approach a campaign in this way.

This is why many of us openly wondered if there was ANYTHING Romney could do to be Obama in '12. Obama was elected by supermajorities of blacks, Latinos, Asians, and gays; he won the women's vote by a full 12 points in a Nation where women outnumber (and outvote men); he did very well among young voters, who both turned out and voted for him in great numbers; and he enjoyed a greater level of support among registered Democrats (who outnumber registered Republicans Nationwide) than most recent Presidential candidates, suffering minimal defection to McCain.

So what did Romney do to win back women? What did he do to appeal to gays and minorities? What did he do to win over young voters? And what did he do to try and persuade registered Democrats to bolt their Party and vote Republican?

The answer to all of these questions is "little or nothing". Romney spent the entire campaign speaking to his base, rallying the same voters who cast their ballots for McCain in '08. Those 59,950,323 voters had given McCain 45.60% of the popular vote; yet as impressive as that is, it's not as good as 50.01% — which has to make any sensible observer wonder how on Earth Mitt Romney thought that would be ENOUGH.

Consequently, Mitt Romney won the support of 60,932,235 votes, and increase of 981,912 votes over McCain's tally. That's an increase of 1.64% in absolute terms — pretty good for a year in which overall turnout went down. It's likely that few if any McCain voters failed to vote from Mitt Romney as well, which means that Romney did indeed achieve his objective: He won over the people who voted for John McCain, and who were that group most heavily predisposed to support him in the first place. Bravo!

<slow golf clap>

The thing is, it still wasn't a majority: It was only 47.15% of the vote. Obama didn't get all 69,499,428 of HIS 2008 supporters to vote for him again in 2012; he only got 65,917,258 votes, or 3,582,170 less. Maybe a few of those people voted for Romney, but most — never motivated to SWITCH SIDES by any positive appeal on Mitt Romney's part — simply stayed home. Those who went and voted, however (being 94.85% of Obama's 2008 base), were still enough to win the race for Obama.

And that illustrates why incumbents win: If you don't give someone good reason to change their vote, you're relying on them simply changing on their own. With a minimal effort and no real counterargument, the incumbent can probably keep them in line. And why not? They voted for that same candidate last time around; without any good reason to change, why shouldn't they vote the same way again and again?

Challengers routinely refuse to aggressive go after an incumbent's supporters, largely because they can't believe the incumbent really gave those supports any good reason to back him in the first place. But people DO have reasons for voting the way the vote, and so — unless those challengers are prepared to actively try and change their minds in a respectful way ("Yes, I understand AND RESPECT why you voted for <Candidate A> last time around, but I'm going to ask you to change your vote this time, and HERE'S WHY..."), they cannot hope to win.

And because they can't believe their side got rejected in a fair race last time around, one in which the voters considered their choice on the merits, they just can't approach those voters in a sensible way and win them over the second time around (or the third, or the fourth, or...).
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Resawa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 pm

There's only two **cking parties
Of course, after carful research I decided the only party I come close to supporting is the modern Whigs, I still think having more major parties would help

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Resawa wrote:There's only two **cking parties
Of course, after carful research I decided the only party I come close to supporting is the modern Whigs, I still think having more major parties would help

Okay, well, how would you go about creating another major party? And what does that mean, major?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Okay, well, how would you go about creating another major party?

In a "winner takes it all" system, you can't. Every third party dies because voters feel like they throw their vote away if they vote for them. You would need a system that grants seats in parliament according to fractions of votes total. It's possible to combine that with a "I want this local representative" attitude, fill up half and half.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Resawa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Okay, well, how would you go about creating another major party? And what does that mean, major?

Major to me means being able to have the same publicity as the democrats and republicans.
And there are plenty of other parties that could become big, I just know how.

Resawa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Ie Libertarians, Constitution Party, and Green Party are all moderately large

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Resawa wrote:Ie Libertarians, Constitution Party, and Green Party are all moderately large

They're so big that they hold no seats in Congress, no governerships, and a whole THREE state Congress seats.. out of 7.5 thousand.

Hmm, ok.

Resawa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Divair wrote:
Resawa wrote:Ie Libertarians, Constitution Party, and Green Party are all moderately large

They're so big that they hold no seats in Congress, no governerships, and a whole THREE state Congress seats.. out of 7.5 thousand.

Hmm, ok.

This is what I mean, they could be big, but they simply arn't as big as the big two

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Resawa wrote:
Divair wrote:They're so big that they hold no seats in Congress, no governerships, and a whole THREE state Congress seats.. out of 7.5 thousand.

Hmm, ok.

This is what I mean, they could be big, but they simply arn't as big as the big two

No, they can't be big. Gerrymandering and strategic voting prevent it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Resawa wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Okay, well, how would you go about creating another major party? And what does that mean, major?

Major to me means being able to have the same publicity as the democrats and republicans.

Publicity is purchased. There's plenty of money around, let them go out and convince people to give them some.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Resawa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Resawa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Resawa wrote:Major to me means being able to have the same publicity as the democrats and republicans.

Publicity is purchased. There's plenty of money around, let them go out and convince people to give them some.

I never said it wasn't those parties faults
Just that they don't have that publicity and they should
I'd join one of these and do it myself, but, as I said, I hate all of them

Shilya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Resawa wrote:Major to me means being able to have the same publicity as the democrats and republicans.

Obama had, in '12, campaign donations worth a billion dollars. Plus the support of established media.

Good luck getting even close to matching that.

Brcm
Civilian

Founded: Nov 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

The thing I would most like to see changed

Postby Brcm » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm

The tax system has to be changed, quickly followed by budget issues.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Shilya wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Publicity is purchased. There's plenty of money around, let them go out and convince people to give them some.

Obama had, in '12, campaign donations worth a billion dollars. Plus the support of established media.

I never said it would be easy.

Shilya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Shilya wrote:

... I guess I had that coming.

Still, the support for the ruling two parties is pretty overwhelming. It would require an enormous feat to go against this establishment and succeed.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Shilya wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I never said it would be easy.

Still, the support for the ruling two parties is pretty overwhelming. It would require an enormous feat to go against this establishment and succeed.

What can I say? I think the minor parties ought to think small and locally, work up to getting someone elected to the House. There ought to be one seat somewhere that's vulnerable. Also, this: viewtopic.php?p=17738426#p17738426

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Shilya wrote:

We do not choose to do this because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Shilya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Shilya wrote:

What can I say? I think the minor parties ought to think small and locally,

Locally is always much easier to pull off - the more local, the less the party matter and the focus switches to the individual. There, a staunch republican might vote for a democrat simply because he knows that the guy is alright.
work up to getting someone elected to the House. There ought to be one seat somewhere that's vulnerable.

Here's the problem. On federal level, parties matter. A lot. Both parties have their core voters that ALWAYS vote for them. What matters in elections are the people between them, the switching voters, and usually they aren't enough to win the vote. If any incumbent is unliked, then the general voter consensus is to vote him out, not another one in, and that works by uniting on the biggest challenging candidate.

Very good points... for close calls. But doesn't adress the inherent problems of a winner-takes-all system.

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:30 pm

A combination of the above.

Plus the media & government are oligarchies.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!
Imperialism makes monsters out of Man. - Comrade Ernesto Che Guevara.
Allah, Souriya, Bashar w bas! - EPIC
Basically, this. Our form of gov..
NS wars: 1/1/1/1.
USSR/Yugo HDIs 1992 - Haters are going to hate
EPIC 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Hezbollah Compass TRUTH

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:*snip*

Once again, ASB, you explain American politics better than most Harvard professors of politics. Seriously, why aren't you teaching in academia?
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: What is the problem with American politics?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:32 pm

There are places where one major Party or the other does not compete. The most obvious example are Republicans, who appear allergic to running for election in urban areas.

If you really want to see your third Party take off, then, arrange to run in one of these places. Offer an alternative to the Democratic candidate in a deep blue city, or an alternative to the Republican candidate in a deep red rural area. As I noted earlier, third Parties CAN emerge under a FPTP system if they focus on a particular segment of the populace (eg., urban voters) or a particular region (eg., the Mountain West).

That said, I will repeat what I said earlier: It is EXTREMELY unlikely that there would be less gridlock or that the U.S. political system would work better if we had more than two major political Parties; more likely than not, we would simply end up with gridlock at an even more profound level.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Shilya wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What can I say? I think the minor parties ought to think small and locally,

Locally is always much easier to pull off - the more local, the less the party matter and the focus switches to the individual. There, a staunch republican might vote for a democrat simply because he knows that the guy is alright.
work up to getting someone elected to the House. There ought to be one seat somewhere that's vulnerable.

Here's the problem. On federal level, parties matter. A lot. Both parties have their core voters that ALWAYS vote for them. What matters in elections are the people between them, the switching voters, and usually they aren't enough to win the vote. If any incumbent is unliked, then the general voter consensus is to vote him out, not another one in, and that works by uniting on the biggest challenging candidate.

Very good points... for close calls. But doesn't adress the inherent problems of a winner-takes-all system.

Bernie Sanders of Vermont was elected to the House as an independent in 1988, the year that Ronald Reagan ate Walter Mondale's lunch. And it need not be the House right away, there are 50 state legislatures. My point is, you have to build from below, not just go for the brass ring of the White House.

ASB doesn't address the FPTP system because there's very little chance of that being done away with. Of course, if you want to concentrate on that issue instead of getting people elected, that's your right but I doubt it will be very satisfying.

Conservative Idealism
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Idealism » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:35 pm

The problem is that two increasingly similar and increasingly totalitarian political parties are dominating the public interest, causing American citizens to either raise their voices more or leave either party in shame at a growing rate of speed.

Meanwhile, various corporations, most media sources, and the federal government are collating and effectively consolidating their interests and infringing upon the freedoms of the individual (about half of which, surprisingly, don't actually matter all that much). This is making people angry; the people who care about this sort of stuff are shouting about it while the vast majority of people (the ones who don't care) are complaining about all of the shouting.

So, uh. Yeah. Not good.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Conservative Idealism wrote:The problem is that two increasingly similar and increasingly totalitarian political parties are dominating the public interest, causing American citizens to either raise their voices more or leave either party in shame at a growing rate of speed.

Meanwhile, various corporations, most media sources, and the federal government are collating and effectively consolidating their interests and infringing upon the freedoms of the individual (about half of which, surprisingly, don't actually matter all that much). This is making people angry; the people who care about this sort of stuff are shouting about it while the vast majority of people (the ones who don't care) are complaining about all of the shouting.

So, uh. Yeah. Not good.

So, uh, what do we do? Shoot the hostage? No, wait, that's a movie.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General