NATION

PASSWORD

Ukrainian Crisis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:58 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ruridova wrote:Faux News's titling seems to suggest that it finds the vote legitimate

A funny quote from the article:
"It's like they're crazy Texans in western Ukraine. Imagine if the Texans suddenly took over power (in Washington) and told everyone they should speak Texan," said Ilya Khlebanov, a voter in the Crimean capital of Simferopol.

Because Texans don't speak English as far as Ukrainians are concerned, apparently. What do we speak, then?

We speak the Texas dialect of southern, which actually requires translators for non native english speakers. My first after army gig was an 80k/year job in China Translating Bush for some guy named Hu Jintao.

Don't try to educate a Texan on Texas, GaD.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Aterna
Envoy

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aterna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Draakonite wrote:
Aterna wrote:
No, the referendum is exactly why he was there. That is exactly what he wanted.

"pro-Ukrainian" voters have discouraged themselves from voting. Also, unless there is proof that an official russian soldier has threatened people residing in crimea, i will answer every post about "pro-russian forces making referendum illegitimate due to violence" with "euromaidaners are making all decisions by rada illegitimate by beating up a parlamentarian days before it impeached (by unconstitunional measures) president yanukovich"

They have not discouraged themselves. Half the ballots where counted-then Ta-da! Final results! They knew what the turnout would be-they knew there was no chance for victory.

It's common sense. If thousands of soldiers occupied the area where I lived, and then I have to vote on whether to (basically) remove them or let them stay, I might just stay home.

President Yanukovich stole from his country. He broke his constitution long ago. Also, he chose to leave. Don't forget, his police murders dozens of protesters-they where peaceful until they where treated like dogs.

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Aterna wrote:
Draakonite wrote:
"pro-Ukrainian" voters have discouraged themselves from voting. Also, unless there is proof that an official russian soldier has threatened people residing in crimea, i will answer every post about "pro-russian forces making referendum illegitimate due to violence" with "euromaidaners are making all decisions by rada illegitimate by beating up a parlamentarian days before it impeached (by unconstitunional measures) president yanukovich"

1) They have not discouraged themselves. Half the ballots where counted-then Ta-da! Final results! They knew what the turnout would be-they knew there was no chance for victory.

2) It's common sense. If thousands of soldiers occupied the area where I lived, and then I have to vote on whether to (basically) remove them or let them stay, I might just stay home.

3) President Yanukovich stole from his country. He broke his constitution long ago. Also, he chose to leave. Don't forget, his police murders dozens of protesters-they where peaceful until they where treated like dogs.

1) the "pro-western" tatars have said in advance they will boycott the referendum.
2) Just like protesters occupying defending the parlament during passing of legislation.
3) If only every parliament in the world would take a constitution breaking president as an example to do it themselves :roll: . And yeah, "peacefull" protestors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18jWXbZY8U (look at the footage 1:00 onward... and ignore the conspiracy theorist speaking)

Estruia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Draakonite wrote:
Aterna wrote:
1) They have not discouraged themselves. Half the ballots where counted-then Ta-da! Final results! They knew what the turnout would be-they knew there was no chance for victory.

2) It's common sense. If thousands of soldiers occupied the area where I lived, and then I have to vote on whether to (basically) remove them or let them stay, I might just stay home.

3) President Yanukovich stole from his country. He broke his constitution long ago. Also, he chose to leave. Don't forget, his police murders dozens of protesters-they where peaceful until they where treated like dogs.

1) the "pro-western" tatars have said in advance they will boycott the referendum.
2) Just like protesters occupying defending the parlament during passing of legislation.
3) If only every parliament in the world would take a constitution breaking president as an example to do it themselves :roll: . And yeah, "peacefull" protestors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18jWXbZY8U (look at the footage 1:00 onward... and ignore the conspiracy theorist speaking)

So, the Crimean Tatars are the only ones in Crimea who don't want to join Russia? What a broad, and generalized statement.
31/Genderfluid/ENFP Currently living in the US (Michigan).

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Neutral: Gun Rights, British Labour Party, British Tories, Masculism

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Draakonite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Estruia wrote:
Draakonite wrote:

So, the Crimean Tatars are the only ones in Crimea who don't want to join Russia? What a broad, and generalized statement.

I could imagine that anyone, who identifies himself with the current government in kiev, hadn't take part in the referendum. The tatars are only a bigger example of this.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Draakonite wrote:
Estruia wrote:

I could imagine that anyone, who identifies himself with the current government in kiev, hadn't take part in the referendum. The tatars are only a bigger example of this.

So it's only the claimed turnout, and not the claimed vote breakdown, that is falsified.

That makes things much better. All my reservations and concerns may be considered put to rest!
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Palmyrene Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Palmyrene Empire » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/state-tv-says-rus ... 03397.html

Welp, more batshit insane blithering from the state media. Not doing much to help diffuse though if it does anything.

Draakonite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:51 pm

Palmyrene Empire wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/state-tv-says-russia-could-turn-us-radioactive-212003397.html

Welp, more batshit insane blithering from the state media. Not doing much to help diffuse though if it does anything.

"Russia is the only country in the world realistically capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash"

Well that is true... but why anybody should say this on russian state media is beyond me. I would think Putin would enjoy an international deescalation of the crisis (eg. everyone forgetting what happens there due to plane crash in asia), so this might be an example of free speech in russian state media, because why the hell should Putin order him to say something like this

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Obama, the hypocrite.

Zebulor
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zebulor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 pm

So the question is, how can there be a vote in the Crimea that is generally accepted? If the mere presence of troops, without evidence of them actually doing anything to influence the outcome, is enough to delegitimize the whole vote in the eyes of those who dislike the outcome, then why should the same not be said for Ukrainian authorities who would have been there had Putin not gone into the Crimea?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:Obama, the hypocrite.

(Image)

If I'm not mistaken, Russia was butthurt throughout the entire Libya crisis.

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 pm

In america, you vote for the government, in Soviet Russia Government votes for you.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:54 pm

(Image)

-Obama didn't intervene in Libya. There was an international effort.

-Obama didn't INVADE Libya period. All actions were keeping the skies clear of Libyan fighters, with a few ground attacks.

-The intervention only occurred after the international community was asked to intervene.

-The international community was asked by the Libyan people who were being wantonly killed by a despotic government which they were trying to overthrow.

In the immortal words of Dunkey

"Not even close baby!"
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Zebulor wrote:So the question is, how can there be a vote in the Crimea that is generally accepted? If the mere presence of troops, without evidence of them actually doing anything to influence the outcome, is enough to delegitimize the whole vote in the eyes of those who dislike the outcome, then why should the same not be said for Ukrainian authorities who would have been there had Putin not gone into the Crimea?

Firstly, a complete withdraw of all Russian troops from Ukrainian territory

Secondly, elections to replace the Ukrainian interim government

Thirdly, a minimum of 1 year needs to pass.

Fourthly, a plebiscite must be held (with Russian and UN observers) in Crimea with the question "Do you wish for Crimea to stay a part of Ukraine?"

This vote should be limited only to Crimean citizens with documentation proving they have lived in Crimea since before the protests in Kiev by at least 1 year (any citizens who were displaced by the Russian occupation and later returned to Crimea still count).
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Estruia wrote:

(Image)

That it was, the Russian and Chinese leadership were foolish enough to think the intervention would be limited to a no fly zone. Hopefully such idiotic assumptions won't be made in the future.
Last edited by Soviet Russia Republic on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Soviet Russia Republic wrote:
Estruia wrote:

That it was, the Russian and Chinese leadership were foolish enough to think the intervention would be limited to a no fly zone. Hopefully such idiotic assumptions won't be made in the future.

Are you suggesting that Russia and China are incapable of reading the items they vote for in the Security Council?

If they were foolish enough to think that wasn't relevant, then Russia and China's UN reps. need an eye examination and an IQ test because they either can't read or they're idiots.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Okay, Crimea you had your little cute referendum, But now its time to go back to Ukraine.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:21 pm

(Image)

The US came in with an announced exit strategy and under the pretense of peacekeeping, Russia refused to even say it was them. Not the same situation.

Ron Paul is a racist, sexist, classist asshole with shitty ideas and a dumb face.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:05 pm

United States Of Devonta wrote:Okay, Crimea you had your little cute referendum, But now its time to go back to Ukraine.

Or, maybe its people would rather go back to Russia, where it was before.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
United States Of Devonta wrote:Okay, Crimea you had your little cute referendum, But now its time to go back to Ukraine.

Or, maybe its people the ethnic Russians would rather go back to Russia, where it was they were before.

Fixed that for you, Marxy!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 pm

(Image)

Worth pointing out the bombing of Libya had UN approval.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

Are you suggesting that Russia and China are incapable of reading the items they vote for in the Security Council?

No, I assume they were told behind doors that it would be limited to just no fly zone and as a I recall much of the public language leading up to that attack was limited in that sense. I'm was already aware of that particular line. Which as stated was an idiotic assumption by them, seeing how NATO leaders in the past have a poor track record when it comes to keeping past promises.
Chest' i Slava Rossii

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Are you suggesting that Russia and China are incapable of reading the items they vote for in the Security Council?

No, I assume they were told behind doors that it would be limited to just no fly zone and as a I recall much of the public language leading up to that attack was limited in that sense. I'm was already aware of that particular line. Which as stated was an idiotic assumption by them, seeing how NATO leaders in the past have a poor track record when it comes to keeping past promises.

What information do you have that led you to believe Russia and China had been bamboozled over the Libya issue?

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Well that's not going to happen.
Chest' i Slava Rossii

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads