NATION

PASSWORD

Things that are democracies

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I consider the ability for politicians to alter the district map in a closed room as anti-democratic in nature. If it was a non-partisan committee I would have no qualms about it, but the gerrymandered district in the state level of 2000 alters the Congressional map for 2020 assuming the state has no term limits in the state house and senate.

We do need to control gerrymandering and adopt a more representative system.

Agreed completely.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Siaos wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I consider the ability for politicians to alter the district map in a closed room as anti-democratic in nature. If it was a non-partisan committee I would have no qualms about it, but the gerrymandered district in the state level of 2000 alters the Congressional map for 2020 assuming the state has no term limits in the state house and senate.

But it doesn't matter, no matter how corrupt it is, you have the power the help put a person in power, so it is a democracy. A badly done democracy, but a democracy none the less.

This^. Russia, though an authoritarian state, is still a democracy, just a terribly flawed one.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Geilinor wrote:Why are so many people calling direct democracy "real democracy"? Representative democracy is quite real.

I consider a proportional representation to be the purest form of Democracy myself. The Winner-Takes All model is the exact opposite of Democracy for everyone and merely Democracy of the most vocal plurality who may not even garner 30% of the voting age population's votes.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Why are so many people calling direct democracy "real democracy"? Representative democracy is quite real.

I consider a proportional representation to be the purest form of Democracy myself. The Winner-Takes All model is the exact opposite of Democracy for everyone and merely Democracy of the most vocal plurality who may not even garner 30% of the voting age population's votes.

There is a middle ground between Winner Take All and Proportional. Preferential Voting.
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I agree with that. The two party system is not inherently desirable as many seem to believe.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Valendia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I consider a proportional representation to be the purest form of Democracy myself. The Winner-Takes All model is the exact opposite of Democracy for everyone and merely Democracy of the most vocal plurality who may not even garner 30% of the voting age population's votes.

There is a middle ground between Winner Take All and Proportional. Preferential Voting.

It's also harder to keep track of everything without multi-round elections that reduce the field or more polling assistance in each polling area.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Avenio wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Can you, like, extrapolate?

The Athenians, for instance, believed that women were pretty much subhuman, that slavery was perfectly alright and that poor people shouldn't have the right to vote.

And yet they were, by most estimates, a democratic society, and one that intensely valued that trait.

What an utterly bizarre array of cultural norms to describe as "democratic."

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:Just coz it's a democracy doesn't mean it's good.

Can you, like, extrapolate?

Democratic Athens was like hella bad. Like they didn't even have like electoral and/or political rights for like women and slaves and stuff. The current liberal democratic paradigm is like totally flawed right now, but if the Athenians came and saw our democracy today they'd be like "that's hella cray". It's like all subjective yah?
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

Democratic Athens was like hella bad. Like they didn't even have like electoral and/or political rights for like women and slaves and stuff. The current liberal democratic paradigm is like totally flawed right now, but if the Athenians came and saw our democracy today they'd be like "that's hella cray". It's like all subjective yah?

Whoa, I could talk politics with you for hours, man.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

Like they didn't even have like electoral and/or political rights for like women and slaves and stuff.

Basically the US for most of its history.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Avenio wrote:
The Athenians, for instance, believed that women were pretty much subhuman, that slavery was perfectly alright and that poor people shouldn't have the right to vote.

And yet they were, by most estimates, a democratic society, and one that intensely valued that trait.

Indeed, it resembles the one of the US founding fathers come to think of it.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Avenio wrote:

Yep. Hence why it's a bit strange to call the Athenian democracy 'more democratic' than ours or as being 'an actual democracy', since, well, by every definition but a bunch of 2000-year-old dead Hellenes', it pretty much is demonstrably more just, inclusive and better fitting the definition of the word than what the Athenians had.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:What an utterly bizarre array of cultural norms to describe as "democratic."

Indeed, it resembles the one of the US founding fathers come to think of it.

Dismal, truly dismal that all of the "best" examples of democracy throughout history are only half assed.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:Indeed, it resembles the one of the US founding fathers come to think of it.

The US' Founding Fathers liked the Roman Republic a lot too, and the Republic was basically the Mediterranean blend of Athenian democracy taken to its natural conclusion. Lots of focus on the citizen-farmer-statesman, only landowners got the vote, legislative body called a Senate, etc etc.

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:Indeed, it resembles the one of the US founding fathers come to think of it.

Dismal, truly dismal that all of the "best" examples of democracy throughout history are only half assed.

Well, to be fair to the founding fathers, US was a prototype of representative democracy, they couldn't possibly have thought of half the issues which came with the form of democracy they created. The problem is that people are too reluctant to change the system like the founding fathers did, in fear of losing the democracy. The politicians play off these fears to their party's benefit and nothing gets done.
Last edited by Siaos on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 pm

In fact, I consider the one in the US to still be that way. It still has the archaic bicameral first-past-the-post system with a separate executive branch that hasn't been attempted by anyone else since for good reason. It's about as about as lethargic as a Snorlax after eating a Thanksgiving dinner without bipartisanship. Snorlax will do little more than sleep.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Democracy is government by the people. That is the literal definition, and the application of the term is only appropriate for a system in which the people rule. The ability to vote does not in and of itself make a democracy.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

Whoa, I could talk politics with you for hours, man.

We've done it before. :P
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Like they didn't even have like electoral and/or political rights for like women and slaves and stuff.

Basically the US for most of its history.

Quite so.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Siaos wrote:Some people don't seem to understand that democratic representative Republics exist, and are democracies. The only real requirement for a democracy is that a certain group of citizens vote on laws/representatives which vote on laws. This group can be as small as land-owning white males inside a small town in North Dakota or as large as everyone on Earth, but they are all democracies.

So Imperial Japan was democratic because of the Imperial Diet?
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Mushet wrote:
Siaos wrote:Some people don't seem to understand that democratic representative Republics exist, and are democracies. The only real requirement for a democracy is that a certain group of citizens vote on laws/representatives which vote on laws. This group can be as small as land-owning white males inside a small town in North Dakota or as large as everyone on Earth, but they are all democracies.

So Imperial Japan was democratic because of the Imperial Diet?

Root vegetables and legumes are proven to promote and enhance democracy.
Last edited by Forster Keys on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 pm

It's pretty simple. When I see this paraded around it's usually so the "Republicans" can try to "one-up" the "Democrats" on a name basis without making any points. As if if they can dictate the terms "Republic" and "Democracy" it counts as a win.

But in reality, a Republic is simply a government without a hereditary ruler. The Soviet Union was a Republic(well, a group of Republics), China is a Republic, etc.

This doesn't mean that one can't be a Democracy and a Republic, or a Democracy and not a Republic(the UK, for example), or any other combination in between, the terms are not antithetical.

The US is a Republic and a Representative Democracy. A democratic system where the people are represented by representatives, hence the term.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

The US is a plutocracy, and due to the electoral college popular vote is nothing but pageantry.

Representative democracy might be the easiest way for nation-states to facilitate democracy but the US isn't one and really the 2 party plutocracy systems is no different to single party systems.

GCMG
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby GCMG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Avenio wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:What an utterly bizarre array of cultural norms to describe as "democratic."

Yep. Hence why it's a bit strange to call the Athenian democracy 'more democratic' than ours or as being 'an actual democracy', since, well, by every definition but a bunch of 2000-year-old dead Hellenes', it pretty much is demonstrably more just, inclusive and better fitting the definition of the word than what the Athenians had.

Are you sure about that poor people not having the right to vote? Because they actually took measures against the practical exclusions of not being able to leave work by paying people to attend assemblies (earlier they tried rounding them up, or maybe this happened at the same time). This would be from what we did in school but yeah (I think this largely proves what I have said, I may have got the jury thing confused with this though).

Athens is every bit as democratic as the US. Every single citizen had the right to vote. It just so happens that their idea of "citizen" was much more stringent than the US (which is a democracy, albeit a deeply flawed one). So, not really. But technically yes.
Term limits remove power from the People and give it to a piece of paper.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:00 am

GCMG wrote:Are you sure about that poor people not having the right to vote? Because they actually took measures against the practical exclusions of not being able to leave work by paying people to attend assemblies (earlier they tried rounding them up, or maybe this happened at the same time). This would be from what we did in school but yeah (I think this largely proves what I have said, I may have got the jury thing confused with this though).

They had the right to vote in some things, but not others. Athens' constitution, as devised by Solon, was purposefully timocratic - political enfranchisement was based upon one's ability to produce food on the property they owned; the three topmost classes in Athens were gradations of that production. ie the topmost class was composed of people that could produce 500 or more bushels of food per year, the second highest was 300-500 and so on. The lowest class, the thetes, were composed of everyone who didn't own land - which generally meant free peasant laborers that worked for food and shelter in a sort of pseudo-serfdom. The thetes could vote in the popular assemblies, but in practice it was very difficult for them to do so; the poor didn't generally have the time or resources to spend whole days arguing in a citizen's assembly, regardless of the pay offered. And, of course, the thetes were excluded from every other democratic body in Athens, like the Council of Four Hundred or the law courts or the magistracies.

GCMG wrote:Athens is every bit as democratic as the US. Every single citizen had the right to vote. It just so happens that their idea of "citizen" was much more stringent than the US (which is a democracy, albeit a deeply flawed one). So, not really. But technically yes.

Athens most certainly was not just as democratic as the US, by just about any measure. Saying that they were democratic, they just restricted their definition of 'citizen' more is a massive cop-out and is quite frankly insulting to the people in the US that fought for universal suffrage and the underclasses of Athens who had no say in the political process whatsoever.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General