NATION

PASSWORD

Nintendo taking youtubers profit. (Also Youtubes contentid)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't watch ads. So I couldn't care less. When adblock fails, then you'll hear me complaining.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Multifarity
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:In the "worst economic recession in history" we should still be looking at people in untrained labour as "morons", yes. Good ideas. Good attitudes.
Most people dear.
I worked in a furnisher store for 3 years... And yes, unfortunately people very much still do in my experience.
Last edited by Multifarity on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Genderqueer Intactivist Pokémon Trainer
Economic Left/Right: -5.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
Time Magazine Person Of The Year
I hate Tories. If I see a Tory, I eat a Tory.
A small and relatively wealthy parliamentary republic with a population of 1.2 million, covering most of northern Yorkshire in Britain, which became independent from the UK in 1987 in the desire to create a state which prioritises civil rights, social mobility, individuality and heterogeneity above all else. It's noted for it's absence of a gender-binary, it's highly progressive taxation and very well funded welfare state.
Map

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

The Republic of Llamas wrote:I'm fine with this. They made the game, after all, and I assume they're only taking a cut of the revenue, not all of it.

nah, it was all of it they were taking
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I don't watch ads. So I couldn't care less. When adblock fails, then you'll hear me complaining.

Honestly, I'm waiting for adblock to be removed from Chrome. I use it, but far too many people abuse the extension.
Last edited by Condunum on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
password scrambled

Multifarity
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I don't watch ads. So I couldn't care less. When adblock fails, then you'll hear me complaining.
Why complain only in that case? They had ads on before, the only thing that has changed is who gets the money, it doesn't effect you unless you make the vids.
Last edited by Multifarity on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Genderqueer Intactivist Pokémon Trainer
Economic Left/Right: -5.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
Time Magazine Person Of The Year
I hate Tories. If I see a Tory, I eat a Tory.
A small and relatively wealthy parliamentary republic with a population of 1.2 million, covering most of northern Yorkshire in Britain, which became independent from the UK in 1987 in the desire to create a state which prioritises civil rights, social mobility, individuality and heterogeneity above all else. It's noted for it's absence of a gender-binary, it's highly progressive taxation and very well funded welfare state.
Map

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Condunum wrote:

Honestly, I'm waiting for adblock to be removed from Chrome. I use it, but far too many people abuse the extension.

last month (i think?) i heard the adblock dev/s were working with totalbiscuit to add a feature to disable adblock for specific youtube channels

that might help
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm

San wrote:
Condunum wrote:Honestly, I'm waiting for adblock to be removed from Chrome. I use it, but far too many people abuse the extension.

last month (i think?) i heard the adblock dev/s were working with totalbiscuit to add a feature to disable adblock for specific youtube channels

that might help

Good. From what I know a few sites might put it into their TOS that advertisement blocking features are forbidden. I know some video hosting sites remove access to videos until you turn the adblock off for the page. Good idea on their part, because adblock really eats into the revenue of some sites.
password scrambled

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Condunum wrote:
San wrote:last month (i think?) i heard the adblock dev/s were working with totalbiscuit to add a feature to disable adblock for specific youtube channels

that might help

Good. From what I know a few sites might put it into their TOS that advertisement blocking features are forbidden. I know some video hosting sites remove access to videos until you turn the adblock off for the page. Good idea on their part, because adblock really eats into the revenue of some sites.

What the hell am I reading?

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:16 pm

San wrote:last month (i think?) i heard the adblock dev/s were working with totalbiscuit to add a feature to disable adblock for specific youtube channels

that might help

Great. So I'll have to have two ad-blocking extensions installed once someone immediately comes out with an extension to block that hole.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:16 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:
Condunum wrote:Good. From what I know a few sites might put it into their TOS that advertisement blocking features are forbidden. I know some video hosting sites remove access to videos until you turn the adblock off for the page. Good idea on their part, because adblock really eats into the revenue of some sites.

What the hell am I reading?

Reason?
password scrambled

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Condunum wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:What the hell am I reading?

Reason?

If a feature of ad-block is that ads get blocked, blocking ads is not an "abuse" of services. That's just nonsense.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Condunum wrote:Reason?

If a feature of ad-block is that ads get blocked, blocking ads is not an "abuse" of services. That's just nonsense.

Is it really that difficult to know what I was saying?
password scrambled

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Condunum wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:If a feature of ad-block is that ads get blocked, blocking ads is not an "abuse" of services. That's just nonsense.

Is it really that difficult to know what I was saying?

I don't owe sites revenue when they actively provide me the means to avoid paying, and encourage me to use them. ;)

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Condunum wrote:Is it really that difficult to know what I was saying?

No, but your position itself is fairly ridiculous.

AdBlock exists to block ads. That's what it's for. Using it to block an ad - even if it's by a site which relies on ad revenue to stay up - isn't abuse.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I don't owe sites revenue when they actively provide me the means to avoid paying, and encourage me to use them. ;)

"they" don't provide you the means to avoid paying, nor do they encourage you to use them.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:

No, but your position itself is fairly ridiculous.

AdBlock exists to block ads. That's what it's for. Using it to block an ad - even if it's by a site which relies on ad revenue to stay up - isn't abuse.

So that it exists to block ads makes my point ridiculous? I think the fact that many sites are taking measures to combat adblock would suggest my point isn't ridiculous. And since when is saying "too much of a universal service" worthy of ridicule?
password scrambled

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm

that might help

Great. So I'll have to have two ad-blocking extensions installed once someone immediately comes out with an extension to block that hole.

Rejoice, for the great virulent spawning pool that is the Internet has a solution.

Condunum wrote:Good. From what I know a few sites might put it into their TOS that advertisement blocking features are forbidden. I know some video hosting sites remove access to videos until you turn the adblock off for the page. Good idea on their part, because adblock really eats into the revenue of some sites.

If the ubiquity of adblocking programs means that websites don't go down the path of turning into the vidscreen from Idiocracy, I think lost revenue is a reasonable price to pay.

After all, if ads weren't annoying, most people wouldn't bother blocking them. The fact that these programs are overtaking the fact that ~80% of all users of the Internet keep their browser settings at default and are growing at 43% per year means that website designers and advertisers need to take notice, not close the barn door after the horse has fled.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Seems fine.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Avenio wrote:

Rejoice, for the great virulent spawning pool that is the Internet has a solution.

If the ubiquity of adblocking programs means that websites don't go down the path of turning into the vidscreen from Idiocracy, I think lost revenue is a reasonable price to pay.

After all, if ads weren't annoying, most people wouldn't bother blocking them. The fact that these programs are overtaking the fact that ~80% of all users of the Internet keep their browser settings at default and are growing at 43% per year means that website designers and advertisers need to take notice, not close the barn door after the horse has fled.

I never said they were a bad thing, just that using them to such a heavy extent is bad. They have plenty of purpose and I never said they didn't.
password scrambled

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Condunum wrote:I never said they were a bad thing, just that using them to such a heavy extent is bad. They have plenty of purpose and I never said they didn't.

What does 'to a heavy extent' mean? Are too many people using them? Is it because people are using the default settings on Adblock or whatever and blocking all of the ads on every site they visit? Be more specific.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't see a big problem here. Nintendo gets to uphold their copyrights, the people who made the videos don't get in trouble, and anyone who is interested in the videos can still watch them.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Condunum wrote:I never said they were a bad thing, just that using them to such a heavy extent is bad. They have plenty of purpose and I never said they didn't.

Really, now? What purpose is that? Is it to only block the ads you personally don't like?

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Avenio wrote:

What does 'to a heavy extent' mean? Are too many people using them? Is it because people are using the default settings on Adblock or whatever and blocking all of the ads on every site they visit? Be more specific.

You should have asked for that in the first place.

For example, ads are the primary source of revenue for YouTube partners. I don't exactly know the formula, but number of ads on screen for x amount of seconds for y number of users = z cash. The more adblock is used, the less revenue is generated and the less a YouTube partner receives, contrary to the view counter. YouTube doesn't use too many ads. A promotion on the top, one before a video (not always) and one to the side. It's not much. Adblock was made primarily to combat the obsessive use of noise ads and the endless ads on some sites, but ends up being used everywhere for user convenience.

Now, what I mean by what I'd said is that, while Adblock has a good purpose and although it does point out the issue of there being too many ads, it's not that many major sites that use a lot of ads. They're doing the right thing by limiting or blocking the use of Adblock and other extensions on their sites, because they aren't the flagrant offenders.
Last edited by Condunum on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Condunum wrote:They're doing the right thing by limiting or blocking the use of Adblock and other extensions on their sites, because they aren't the flagrant offenders.

No site is going to tell me what extensions I can and can't use.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Condunum wrote:They're doing the right thing by limiting or blocking the use of Adblock and other extensions on their sites, because they aren't the flagrant offenders.

No site is going to tell me what extensions I can and can't use.

They can and will. If you don't like it, you don't get to use their site. Because, y'know... It's theirs?
password scrambled

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General