NATION

PASSWORD

Nintendo taking youtubers profit. (Also Youtubes contentid)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Graknopia wrote:
Lordieth wrote:They're already advertising Nintendo by playing the game. Call it what you like, but this is nothing more than corporate greed, and given Nintendo's recent profits, I can certainly see why they're doing it.

Sega have been at it for some time. Never thought Nintendo would stoop that low.

The thing is though that some people just watch playthroughs with no intent of buying the game. This is why (I assume) Nintendo did this.

So what? It's free advertising. Even paid advertising is no guarantee of a sale. These people are willing to advertise Nintendo for free, and Nintendo wants to make money out of them. I think it's disgusting. You know what will happen? Less people will want to do Nintendo playthroughs. How could that possibly be of benefit? Nintendo may have lined their pockets, but at the cost of losing their credibility of being the underdogs who were meant to be distancing themselves from the competition.

They should be sending these people more games, not squeezing ad revenue out of their content. :palm:
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Forsakia wrote:
Condunum wrote:No, it's literally all about the money. Corporations do this all the time. If there is any legal path they can use to take profits and make it theirs, they'll do it and you'll be damn sure they'll make sure it happens until they won't see a positive gain.

Corporations are about money shock?

So what?

Missing the point 101

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Condunum wrote:No, it's literally all about the money. Corporations do this all the time. If there is any legal path they can use to take profits and make it theirs, they'll do it and you'll be damn sure they'll make sure it happens until they won't see a positive gain.

This is good though, pretty much everyone who makes a living off these things doesn't deserve it. Unfortunately they also tend to focus more on steam games but hopefully they won't be able to profit off that eventually either.

Why don't they deserve it? Are you the master of who does and doesn't "deserve" their earnings? As far as I'm concerned, the copyright laws as they are are immoral and in need of severe revision, or for partnerships to be a requirement. Nintendo shouldn't have the right to strip profit away from people because their "invention" was used to make the profits. At best, they deserve a share.
password scrambled

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Graknopia wrote:The thing is though that some people just watch playthroughs with no intent of buying the game. This is why (I assume) Nintendo did this.

So what? It's free advertising. Even paid advertising is no guarantee of a sale. These people are willing to advertise Nintendo for free, and Nintendo wants to make money out of them. I think it's disgusting. You know what will happen? Less people will want to do Nintendo playthroughs. How could that possibly be of benefit? Nintendo may have lined their pockets, but at the cost of losing their credibility of being the underdogs who were meant to be distancing themselves from the competition.

They should be sending these people more games, not squeezing ad revenue out of their content. :palm:

No, they won't. Content providers want page views on the channels that they pay to keep up, right?

If you can get viewers to your channel with a LP, which you don't make money from, then you have an avenue to funnel people to content that you've created that you CAN make money off of. Simple as that.

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Graknopia wrote:The thing is though that some people just watch playthroughs with no intent of buying the game. This is why (I assume) Nintendo did this.

That's Nintendo's decision to make. Clearly they think they'll be better off getting revenue from the ads (and I'm sure they thought about the cost/benefits of that). Some companies give out free samples, some don't. What's there to be disgusted about?
Member of Arch's fan club.

Charmicarmicat
Envoy

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Charmicarmicat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Lordieth wrote:

"Will you advertise for us?"
"Okay, pay me first."
"Here you go."
[advertisement ensues]

"I'm going to advertise for you."
"What?"
"Well, when I say advertise, I mean spout moronic failed comedian's gibberish, make some disparaging remarks and associate your game with the lowest common denominator. I will make money off of this."
"But I don't wa-"
"HEY IT'S FREE WOW YOU'RE SO GREEDY"

advertising
Corrian wrote:some of the more underground people (us)

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Condunum wrote:

No, it's literally all about the money. Corporations do this all the time. If there is any legal path they can use to take profits and make it theirs, they'll do it and you'll be damn sure they'll make sure it happens until they won't see a positive gain.

Your point being what?

Corporations exist to make money from their products?

If people want to be paid for their youtube clips then make something original not just a game playthru

Graknopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm

How about them just taking the videos down then taking profit?
2% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 98% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Charmicarmicat
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Charmicarmicat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Condunum wrote:Why don't they deserve it?

Because they:
1) had no involvement in producing the content
2) produce absolutely minimal content
3) are generally undeserving of financial reward for their horrible "talents"

Graknopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:

Because they:

Some peope go through great length editing these videos, actually.
2% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 98% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:

Because they:

Don't cherrypick my posts when the rest is relevant.

Cetacea wrote:

Your point being what?

Corporations exist to make money from their products?

If people want to be paid for their youtube clips then make something original not just a game playthru

Oversimplifying what someone is saying is not an argument.
password scrambled

Charmicarmicat
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Charmicarmicat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Graknopia wrote:
Charmicarmicat wrote:Because they:

Some peope go through great length editing these videos, actually.

Which is comparable to producing a AAA title, how.
Condunum wrote:
Charmicarmicat wrote:Because they:

Don't cherrypick my posts

It would be relevant if this was a "cry over copyright" thread, it's a "cry over my failed comedians not getting paid for their shitty comment track tape" thread.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

"Will you advertise for us?"
"Okay, pay me first."
"Here you go."
[advertisement ensues]

"I'm going to advertise for you."
"What?"
"Well, when I say advertise, I mean spout moronic failed comedian's gibberish, make some disparaging remarks and associate your game with the lowest common denominator. I will make money off of this."
"But I don't wa-"
"HEY IT'S FREE WOW YOU'RE SO GREEDY"

advertising

Reputation counts for a lot. Game companies acting like this hardly seems to benefit the company in question. There was that huge uproar not long ago over a small developer who tried to claim TotalBiscuit was infringing on their copyright just because he gave a less than favourable review of their game.

Seeing someone play a game is advertising. Playing a game and watching a game are two different things. It's not like watching someone watch a movie.
Last edited by Lordieth on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Multifarity
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:

Because they:
You just described every single tertiary occupation.

Seems like losing a whole lot of advertising in return for what must be a mathematically insignificant amount of money to a company the size of Nintendo...
Well within their rights of course, but as Aristotle once said:

"Try and milk a cow too many times in a day... And it will kick you in the cunt."

I think that's what he said... I don't speak Ancient Greek.
British Genderqueer Intactivist Pokémon Trainer
Economic Left/Right: -5.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
Time Magazine Person Of The Year
I hate Tories. If I see a Tory, I eat a Tory.
A small and relatively wealthy parliamentary republic with a population of 1.2 million, covering most of northern Yorkshire in Britain, which became independent from the UK in 1987 in the desire to create a state which prioritises civil rights, social mobility, individuality and heterogeneity above all else. It's noted for it's absence of a gender-binary, it's highly progressive taxation and very well funded welfare state.
Map

Graknopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Graknopia wrote:Some peope go through great length editing these videos, actually.

Condunum wrote:Don't cherrypick my posts

It would be relevant if this was a "cry over copyright" thread, it's a "cry over my failed comedians not getting paid for their shitty comment track tape" thread.

Its not at all, but they also make a pittance compared to AAA titles
Last edited by Graknopia on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Graknopia wrote:Some peope go through great length editing these videos, actually.

Condunum wrote:Don't cherrypick my posts

pardon me for being able to see past the one specific instance and notice that this is a trend which needs attention.
password scrambled

Charmicarmicat
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Charmicarmicat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Lordieth wrote:Reputation counts for a lot. Game companies acting like this hardly seems to benefit the company in question.
As opposed to having Pewdiepie screaming rape rape rape over their games? Gets me in the mood to play some Amnesia.
Lordieth wrote:There was that huge uproar not long ago over a small developer who tried to claim TotalBiscuit was infringing on their copyright just because he gave a less than favourable review of their game.
A review isn't a let's play.
Lordieth wrote:Seeing someone play a game is advertising. Playing a game and watching a game are two different things. It's not like watching someone watch a movie.
But there's a difference between a company consenting to let a bunch of amateurs run amok with their brand, characters and work and paying millions to get their products to people.
Multifarity wrote:You just described every single tertiary occupation.
How is that in any way comparable at all.
Graknopia wrote:
Charmicarmicat wrote:Which is comparable to producing a AAA title, how.

Its not at all, but they also make a pittance compared to AAA titles

And yet enough to live on.

Graknopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Lordieth wrote:Reputation counts for a lot. Game companies acting like this hardly seems to benefit the company in question.
As opposed to having Pewdiepie screaming rape rape rape over their games? Gets me in the mood to play some Amnesia.
Lordieth wrote:There was that huge uproar not long ago over a small developer who tried to claim TotalBiscuit was infringing on their copyright just because he gave a less than favourable review of their game.
Lordieth wrote:Seeing someone play a game is advertising. Playing a game and watching a game are two different things. It's not like watching someone watch a movie.
But there's a difference between a company consenting to let a bunch of amateurs run amok with their brand, characters and work and paying millions to get their products to people.
Graknopia wrote:Its not at all, but they also make a pittance compared to AAA titles

Thats not most youtubers. Most use it as a side job

Multifarity
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Your 3 accusations:
Charmicarmicat wrote:1) had no involvement in producing the content

Estate Agent:
1) Did not build the house.
2) Do the least possible to earn their living.
3) Very well paid, viewed by most outsiders to be charlatans.

Supermarket Worker:
1) Did not grow the food.
3) Viewed by most outsiders to be morons.

Telemarketer:
1) Did not make the product.
3) Viewed by most outsiders to be annoying.

I could go on...
Last edited by Multifarity on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A small and relatively wealthy parliamentary republic with a population of 1.2 million, covering most of northern Yorkshire in Britain, which became independent from the UK in 1987 in the desire to create a state which prioritises civil rights, social mobility, individuality and heterogeneity above all else. It's noted for it's absence of a gender-binary, it's highly progressive taxation and very well funded welfare state.
Map

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Graknopia wrote:
Charmicarmicat wrote:As opposed to having Pewdiepie screaming rape rape rape over their games? Gets me in the mood to play some Amnesia.

Thats not most youtubers. Most use it as a side job

Often not even that. It's really only the big names who can use it as a primary income, whereas most just use it as a way to fund improving their youtube channels. Equipment cost greens, sadly.
password scrambled

Graknopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Multifarity wrote:
Charmicarmicat wrote:How is that in any way comparable at all.
Your 3 accusations:
Charmicarmicat wrote:1) had no involvement in producing the content

Estate Agent:

Supermarket Worker:

Telemarketer:

I could go on...

They were all given permissionto advertise/represent

Multifarity
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Graknopia wrote:
Multifarity wrote:Your 3 accusations:

Estate Agent:

Supermarket Worker:

Telemarketer:

I could go on...

They were all given permissionto advertise/represent
Which interestingly wasn't any of Charmander's 3 points.
Map

Charmicarmicat
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Charmicarmicat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Multifarity wrote:Estate Agent:
Values property, finds accommodation for those looking for homes.
Multifarity wrote:Supermarket Worker:

Stacks shelves, brings customers to product they desire, maintains hygiene standards, mans tills.
Multifarity wrote:Telemarketer:
Borderline non existent. Does not shriek loudly when the phone is answered
Multifarity wrote:I could go on...
You could but your point is fucking stupid and it'd be a bit futile.

In the "worst economic recession in history" we should still be looking at people in untrained labour as "morons", yes. Good ideas. Good attitudes.
Last edited by Charmicarmicat on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graknopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Multifarity wrote:
Graknopia wrote:They were all given permissionto advertise/represent
Which interestingly wasn't any of Charmander's 3 points.

Ok, then those people by the company to sell the pruducts. Youtubing a product wasnt reques nor is it necesarry

The Republic of Llamas
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Llamas » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm fine with this. They made the game, after all, and I assume they're only taking a cut of the revenue, not all of it.

Multifarity
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Charmicarmicat wrote:
Multifarity wrote:Estate Agent:
Values property, finds accommodation for those looking for homes.
Multifarity wrote:Supermarket Worker:

Stacks shelves, brings customers to product they desire, maintains hygiene standards, mans tills.
Multifarity wrote:Telemarketer:
Borderline non existent. Does not shriek loudly when the phone is answered
Multifarity wrote:I could go on...
You could but your point is fucking stupid and it'd be a bit futile.
It was a throwaway comment regarding the irrelevancy of your list...
What I said was: 'You just described every tertiary job.'
What you read was: 'You just described every tertiary job and therefore you are wrong.'
Map

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General