NATION

PASSWORD

Nintendo taking youtubers profit. (Also Youtubes contentid)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Condunum wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:It doesn't work that way all the time. The ranters will rant when a product is greatly disappointing, or when something interests them. For example, Someguy827 is a man who has made nearly fifty videos on the topic of Onision, a notable YouTube personality. Others like Bluemagus make play throughs often enough that it might be his main video type at this point. However most of the games are older ones that are years old.

Yes well, Onision receives a lot of hate for quite a few reasons.

But like I said, it really depends on the content of each video. I could understand Activision being upset about someone making money off of singleplayer footage, but I doubt they'd care much about multiplayer footage, for much the same reason as the ESRB doesn't rate online gameplay.

Onision is a rather shady fellow. Still, I should note that Bluemagus's rants actually get more views than his video game playing ones which suggest the communities of ranting and let's plays are quite distinct from each other.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Condunum wrote:Yes well, Onision receives a lot of hate for quite a few reasons.

But like I said, it really depends on the content of each video. I could understand Activision being upset about someone making money off of singleplayer footage, but I doubt they'd care much about multiplayer footage, for much the same reason as the ESRB doesn't rate online gameplay.

Onision is a rather shady fellow. Still, I should note that Bluemagus's rants actually get more views than his video game playing ones which suggest the communities of ranting and let's plays are quite distinct from each other.

Generally there is some overlap but yes, they are. The ranting is more popular because, well, obvious internet reasons.
password scrambled

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Condunum wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Onision is a rather shady fellow. Still, I should note that Bluemagus's rants actually get more views than his video game playing ones which suggest the communities of ranting and let's plays are quite distinct from each other.

Generally there is some overlap but yes, they are. The ranting is more popular because, well, obvious internet reasons.

And the likes of Onision being as abrasive as they are also explains the nature of ranters. See a mess up from Onision and fifty or sixty ranters will be able to pull thousands of views a piece.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Condunum wrote:Generally there is some overlap but yes, they are. The ranting is more popular because, well, obvious internet reasons.

And the likes of Onision being as abrasive as they are also explains the nature of ranters. See a mess up from Onision and fifty or sixty ranters will be able to pull thousands of views a piece.

Well yes. He's hated largely for the same reason as TheAmazingAtheist is hated, because he's overall a dickish and spiteful guy. I dunno most of the issue with Onision, just that he had some really depraved issues with his ex-girlfriend over some sort of coercive sex incident or something like that.
password scrambled

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Condunum wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:And the likes of Onision being as abrasive as they are also explains the nature of ranters. See a mess up from Onision and fifty or sixty ranters will be able to pull thousands of views a piece.

Well yes. He's hated largely for the same reason as TheAmazingAtheist is hated, because he's overall a dickish and spiteful guy. I dunno most of the issue with Onision, just that he had some really depraved issues with his ex-girlfriend over some sort of coercive sex incident or something like that.

And it gets worse if one knows that he was filming Shiloh when she was having memory loss issues, but I will save that for a different thread.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:
San wrote:last month (i think?) i heard the adblock dev/s were working with totalbiscuit to add a feature to disable adblock for specific youtube channels

that might help

Great. So I'll have to have two ad-blocking extensions installed once someone immediately comes out with an extension to block that hole.

i meant there'll be options in the adblock settings to disable ads for videos uploading by channels of your choosing (i.e. your subscriptions, perhaps?) if you want to support them.
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Given there are only two alternatives, let other people make money off of your product or DMCA takedown, I'm totally good with this.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Condunum wrote:Well yes. He's hated largely for the same reason as TheAmazingAtheist is hated, because he's overall a dickish and spiteful guy. I dunno most of the issue with Onision, just that he had some really depraved issues with his ex-girlfriend over some sort of coercive sex incident or something like that.

And it gets worse if one knows that he was filming Shiloh when she was having memory loss issues, but I will save that for a different thread.

Yeah, I was a frequent viewer of Coughlan616 at the time, I know about that incident.
password scrambled

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Lordieth wrote:They're already advertising Nintendo by playing the game. Call it what you like, but this is nothing more than corporate greed, and given Nintendo's recent profits, I can certainly see why they're doing it.

Sega have been at it for some time. Never thought Nintendo would stoop that low.

This really, they are already getting good represnation from this.

Well at least Roosterteeth can still give them a finger, they have 343 backing biatch, plus other games who they have promoted, no real money loss for them.

But the other Lets Play people who don't have a better income source might be screwed, though I guess individuals like PewDiePie are not going to get hit, I wouldn't know.

But from my opinion, its just shameless money grabbing, sure its their right, but they honestly don't need it.

I just have a hard time finding the positive in this, morally in my opinion, they have more than enough income, and these people are generally having a positive time showing off the product, boosting the overall sign that the companies products are doing great, and that they should be purchased for fun.

I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree with it.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Also I want to point out that even if it doesn't mean people are going to buy the game from watching, how the hell does paid advertisement guarantee it more so?

So sweet a trailer, I don't know if this game is worth my time.

It snot like if I see a new trailer I buy the game right away.

Edit: Well shit, nobody else posted, I feel dumb.
Last edited by -The Unified Earth Governments- on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 pm

>Lets Plays

Watchable to terrible ratio is so bad, I'd feel worse about charitable donations to NAMBLA not being tax deductible.

Now, the speedrunning community being hit by this is rather more of a concern. That's quality well deserving of revenue.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Zavea wrote:"oh no, my plan to make a living playing video games in my basement all day has hit a snag. damn you big money!"

Gross overstatement of everyone.

Makes lets plays, doesn't live in a basement.

Well...to be fair their biggest work has been Machinima, but that could be a target itself.

But still, not everyone who does lets plays are people who live in their basements and only get revenue from it. True RT won't be impacted, at least a little, they probably won't give a shit, but overall the idea that all people who do Lets Plays are like how you mention them is rather rude, even their Lets Play content is great and doen with professional methods, and they even have support.

I mean they even got their "Tower of Pimps" from their Minecraft Lets Plays into the game itself.

Even Lets Players who are not in a production Company, even by their selves are doing good, (Ugh) even PewDiePie is doing good from what I heard, and thats because of how he spreads his content, and how he attracts a certain audience. And he does have a legitimate base of people who like his videos, and he seems to be having fun too.

Sure, they're might be a few people who are doing a Lets Play in a basement, but your statement is the same type that has been used on people from Video Games, to Movies, it doesn't hold up and it is a rude statement overall.

And I mean fuck, who plays video games in their basement anyways? How can i even take you seriously with that statement?
/// A.N.N. \\\

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:>Lets Plays

Watchable to terrible ratio is so bad, I'd feel worse about charitable donations to NAMBLA not being tax deductible.

Now, the speedrunning community being hit by this is rather more of a concern. That's quality well deserving of revenue.

I wouldn't say that, my main source of Lets plays have put good work into their videos, even going as far as too use sound equipment and using it correctly to get great audio.....Fails of the Weak has gotten a little quiet though.......

For me, I have also seen some good lets Plays off my main source, though I admit that some of the accents do rub off weird.
/// A.N.N. \\\

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:>Lets Plays

I used to be a speedrunner, then I started to care more about strategy and winning with the weakest team possible.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Graknopia wrote:
A number of YouTube members report that Nintendo is issuing "Content ID Match" copyright claims en masse for videos featuring gameplay from its published titles.

The move appears to target the "Let's Play" community, in particular. Let's Play series authors often produce full video walkthroughs of featured games, with voiced or subtitled commentary accompanying gameplay.

When a "Content ID Match" is claimed for a YouTube clip, the claimant is given the right to place an advertisement at the beginning or the end of the video. Content ID Matches differ from DMCA takedown notices or outright video removals, in that matched videos remain viewable by the public and do not count as a copyright strike against their producers. All revenue earned from views, however, will go to the content's copyright owner, rather than the video uploader. The act is common for publishers like Activision, Electronic Arts, and Square Enix, but it's only recently that Nintendo has joined in the practice.

Multiple affected authors have come forward on Reddit to confirm Nintendo's new policy. To date, Nintendo's Content ID Matching spree seems to focus on recent releases like Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and New Super Mario Bros. U. Currently, Let's Play videos for older Nintendo-published games are unaffected.

Nintendo explains its position in a statement issued to GameFront: "As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database.

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintend ... ay-videos/
What do you think? The story is rather old but im sure it applies today.. Not just with games but with for example, music videos.

Personally I think its perfectly fine for a company to claim profit off of a game or ad that they produced. (Although it may not be the best marketng strategy) After all, they never did gve permission to the uploader to use that footage.

Uploaders on youtube do not normally receive money.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Tundra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:07 pm

greed and death wrote:
Graknopia wrote:
A number of YouTube members report that Nintendo is issuing "Content ID Match" copyright claims en masse for videos featuring gameplay from its published titles.

The move appears to target the "Let's Play" community, in particular. Let's Play series authors often produce full video walkthroughs of featured games, with voiced or subtitled commentary accompanying gameplay.

When a "Content ID Match" is claimed for a YouTube clip, the claimant is given the right to place an advertisement at the beginning or the end of the video. Content ID Matches differ from DMCA takedown notices or outright video removals, in that matched videos remain viewable by the public and do not count as a copyright strike against their producers. All revenue earned from views, however, will go to the content's copyright owner, rather than the video uploader. The act is common for publishers like Activision, Electronic Arts, and Square Enix, but it's only recently that Nintendo has joined in the practice.

Multiple affected authors have come forward on Reddit to confirm Nintendo's new policy. To date, Nintendo's Content ID Matching spree seems to focus on recent releases like Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and New Super Mario Bros. U. Currently, Let's Play videos for older Nintendo-published games are unaffected.

Nintendo explains its position in a statement issued to GameFront: "As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database.

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintend ... ay-videos/
What do you think? The story is rather old but im sure it applies today.. Not just with games but with for example, music videos.

Personally I think its perfectly fine for a company to claim profit off of a game or ad that they produced. (Although it may not be the best marketng strategy) After all, they never did gve permission to the uploader to use that footage.

but people who amke there living off of it, like Totalbiscuit and Jessie Cox its very important

they are actually protected under fair use, Letsplays are technically commentaries about the game that is being played. and is watched for the content producer and his insights on the game.
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.
Conservative Conservationists wrote:Too many puns and bad media lines
Must... Stop.... Self....

Stuff it

Despite anal probe, no crack found by police
Anal probe was shitty
Implements inserted for a crap reason
Man seeking a rears for police brutality
Man sues asses for penetrating his own
Police demand to spread went too far
Long arm of law goes inside
Lesson: Only stick it up there with permission.

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 pm

The Tundra wrote:
greed and death wrote:

but people who amke there living off of it, like Totalbiscuit and Jessie Cox its very important

they are actually protected under fair use, Letsplays are technically commentaries about the game that is being played. and is watched for the content producer and his insights on the game.

Also shouldn't multiplayer be fair from these type of things?

After all it is the uploaders property now, they own the disk or download they payed for.

Or is there something I don't get there?

It just doesn't make much sense for me......
/// A.N.N. \\\

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baader-Meinhof Gruppe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:03 am

It depends on the game. As most Nintendo games are simply going to show you how to play the game, basically a strategy guide, then it should still fall under Nintendo's umbrella. If you have a game like Skyrim where you end up using mods and such then it no longer should fall under the companies umbrella as the content is not entirely theirs, and more often that their material won't even be the majority. Making profit from youtube videos isn't all that ethical to begin with as anyone can spam their videos and get a bunch of hits in a day, even if they have to go behind proxies or Tor.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:11 am

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:It depends on the game. As most Nintendo games are simply going to show you how to play the game, basically a strategy guide, then it should still fall under Nintendo's umbrella. If you have a game like Skyrim where you end up using mods and such then it no longer should fall under the companies umbrella as the content is not entirely theirs, and more often that their material won't even be the majority. Making profit from youtube videos isn't all that ethical to begin with as anyone can spam their videos and get a bunch of hits in a day, even if they have to go behind proxies or Tor.

To actually get money from youtube, you have to get a lot of views, the only time way you are really going to hit it is if you try, and I am sure that Youtube at least checks to see if there is actual content and is appropriate before giving money.
/// A.N.N. \\\

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote: and I am sure that Youtube at least checks to see if there is actual content and is appropriate before giving money.

aye, they're somewhat careful about who they admit to their partnership program. but more or less you just need to be uploading content (that isn't content-ID'd, mind, so no lyric videos for taking back sunday) regularly with a few thousand subscribers and a good amount of views.
Last edited by San on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baader-Meinhof Gruppe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:14 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:It depends on the game. As most Nintendo games are simply going to show you how to play the game, basically a strategy guide, then it should still fall under Nintendo's umbrella. If you have a game like Skyrim where you end up using mods and such then it no longer should fall under the companies umbrella as the content is not entirely theirs, and more often that their material won't even be the majority. Making profit from youtube videos isn't all that ethical to begin with as anyone can spam their videos and get a bunch of hits in a day, even if they have to go behind proxies or Tor.

To actually get money from youtube, you have to get a lot of views, the only time way you are really going to hit it is if you try, and I am sure that Youtube at least checks to see if there is actual content and is appropriate before giving money.

"A lot of views" is a relative term. Though with an average speed internet connection you could easily get around a million views in a day. Now if you have friends help, or a program to help, then you hit some good money. They probably check, and even when they pay out the amount is nominal(Boxxy ain't exactly living large).

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:16 am

Graknopia wrote:
Condunum wrote:No, it's literally all about the money. Corporations do this all the time. If there is any legal path they can use to take profits and make it theirs, they'll do it and you'll be damn sure they'll make sure it happens until they won't see a positive gain.

Of course it is. But the people uploading the game did not get permission. What im tryng to ask you is if you think it is understandable that Nintendo takes profits from these ads that may or may not depict the game in the way they want it to

Nintendo has no right to decide what is an acceptable depiction and what's not. If they want positive ones, they just need to make good games.
Last edited by Jetan on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Lianhua (Ancient)
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lianhua (Ancient) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:16 am

Just innovative marketing. :)
21 y.o. Sine-Japanese female from Tokyo, Japan; Song Xingyiquan/Dai Xinyiquan/Xinyi Liuhe Quan. Sister+Lover of Kapao Pango & Nabeshima. <3.

Careful, jack. My patience has limits, unlike my Kung Fuuuuuuuu.. (^~^) - Lian Sifu

Resistance is futile if less than one ohm.
Remember this, and you shall go far.
Taoist-Buddhist; apparently retainer and daughter of Divair and Stern des Meeres, and sister to Aeken.

I love you, -New Sealand-! Why so pretty, Chinese lady? <3 RenaxJiao!
Quotes about me go here, because I still want a sig, tyvm. Also, Esternial
ヽ(^Д^)ノ Bee doo bee doo bee doo! ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Jetan wrote:
Graknopia wrote:Of course it is. But the people uploading the game did not get permission. What im tryng to ask you is if you think it is understandable that Nintendo takes profits from these ads that may or may not depict the game in the way they want it to

Nintendo has no right to decide what is an acceptable depiction and what's not. If they want positive ones, they just need to make good games.

This, plus the way I see it, it isn't their shit anymore really, the person bought the game, they got it with their cash, why bother them?
/// A.N.N. \\\

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Jetan wrote:Nintendo has no right to decide what is an acceptable depiction and what's not. If they want positive ones, they just need to make good games.

This, plus the way I see it, it isn't their shit anymore really, the person bought the game, they got it with their cash, why bother them?

The way I see it, you have no idea how Fair Use works.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General