NATION

PASSWORD

The (Semi-) Myth Of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:02 pm

not so much a myth, as a phrase invented for propaganda purposes, to belittle real morality.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Cameroi wrote:not so much a myth, as a phrase invented for propaganda purposes, to belittle real morality.

It's really little more than another way to avoid justifying one's self. If it's PC madness, you aren't being grilled anymore.
password scrambled

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:Let's be honest with ourselves: Conservative carpring about political correctness is largely an effort to avoid getting called out for being racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's as if Conservative America is telling the rest of us, "Look, if I want to call a black man 'nigger', a woman 'slut', and a gay man 'faggot", that's not my problem — it's yours. Grow a pair, accept my right to offend you, AND DON'T TALK BACK."

Thus, my response to criticism of "political correctness": If you want to be a racist, sexist, homophobic, or religious bigot, go ahead — shoot off your mouth. Use whatever hateful language and vile epithets you want; that IS indeed your right.

But don't whine when I rhetorically tear you a bloody new asshole, calling you out for your small-minded hatefulness and unsuitability as even a poor facsimile of a human being. If you're going to reserve the right to be insensitive to others around you, then I'm going to reserve the right to make your asshattery abundantly clear to the world, and ride you off into the sunset like a broken quarterhorse until you can't stand the sound of my voice in your ear.

Because if you insist on exercising your God-given right to bring discomfort and misery to the loves of others, then I'm going to make it my Karmic mission to bring discomfort and misery to yours. First Amendment, bitches.

I agree with this one hundred percent. Talk as much shit as you want, but don't get cry foul when people respond.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Kumrann
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kumrann » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I hate rudeness and I think the idea behind political correctness is (in the words of Stewart Lee) to create a form of organised politeness. Whilst I think its good that we try not to offend people It's bad when it gets to the stage were people feel unable to express themselves because they fear saying something that will have them labeled as some sort of bigot. This of course seriously limits political discourse and our ability to have debates about sensitive issues - to the extent were our elected politicians refuse to talk about them. To the truth of the matter is I would rather live in country with free speech which sometimes offended listeners than one were peoples speech is limited.
Born in Cambridge 1993
Messed around a lot for 18 years
Now a student of Politics & Intentional Relations at the University of Manchester

If you cant say something simply, then you simply don't understand it.

PRO: British Unionism, Liberalism, Commonwealth, Decriminalizing Drugs, WestHam, Garage Music, Dancing & Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties
Cosmopolitan 32%
Secular 37%
Visionary 20%
Anarchist 32%
Capitalistic 17%
Militaristic 21%
Anthropocentric 95%

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Kumrann wrote:I hate rudeness and I think the idea behind political correctness is (in the words of Stewart Lee) to create a form of organised politeness. Whilst I think its good that we try not to offend people It's bad when it gets to the stage were people feel unable to express themselves because they fear saying something that will have them labeled as some sort of bigot. This of course seriously limits political discourse and our ability to have debates about sensitive issues - to the extent were our elected politicians refuse to talk about them. To the truth of the matter is I would rather live in country with free speech which sometimes offended listeners than one were peoples speech is limited.

If people fear being labeled some sort of bigot, and they aren't bigoted, then they should be able to explain why. "That's bigoted" doesn't need to be the end of the discussion. It can be the beginning. Of course, for those who believe that there may be some truth to the charge, I can see why they'd be reluctant to confront the label.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Kumrann wrote:I hate rudeness and I think the idea behind political correctness is (in the words of Stewart Lee) to create a form of organised politeness. Whilst I think its good that we try not to offend people It's bad when it gets to the stage were people feel unable to express themselves because they fear saying something that will have them labeled as some sort of bigot. This of course seriously limits political discourse and our ability to have debates about sensitive issues - to the extent were our elected politicians refuse to talk about them. To the truth of the matter is I would rather live in country with free speech which sometimes offended listeners than one were peoples speech is limited.

If people fear being labeled some sort of bigot, and they aren't bigoted, then they should be able to explain why. "That's bigoted" doesn't need to be the end of the discussion. It can be the beginning. Of course, for those who believe that there may be some truth to the charge, I can see why they'd be reluctant to confront the label.

Your expecting people to actually follow information and not just follow buzz words.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Sealand of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sealand of America » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:39 pm

The only thing I have to say is speech has power. It can convince action or inaction. Too few people take that into account when they use their so called freedom. More people need to do a lot less talking and take a speech Charlie Chappline did to heart its on YouTube.
Patriarchy my favorite mythology

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Warda wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Your expecting people to actually follow information and not just follow buzz words.

Like "politically correct"?

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:53 pm

You can be politically correct and still have free and uncensored discussion. Though I do admit PCness has gotten a bit out of hand lately.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Pandeeria wrote:You can be politically correct and still have free and uncensored discussion. Though I do admit PCness has gotten a bit out of hand lately.

Use examples.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:You can be politically correct and still have free and uncensored discussion. Though I do admit PCness has gotten a bit out of hand lately.

Use examples.

The main thing I can think of is when black people from non-America get called African Americans.

I find that hilarious.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Use examples.

If I say the word retard (even if it's completely out of context and I'm not in anyway referring to mentally ill people) they will freak out and correct. Same goes for if I use the word black instead of African American. Etc.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Use examples.

The main thing I can think of is when black people from non-America get called African Americans.

I find that hilarious.

Okay, that's stupid. But it doesn't limit speech, which was my original point. In fact, it's a perfect example of my favorite side benefit of free and unfettered speech, which is the opportunity for people to show themselves to be utter idiots.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Use examples.

If I say the word retard (even if it's completely out of context and I'm not in anyway referring to mentally ill people) they will freak out and correct. Same goes for if I use the word black instead of African American. Etc.

Yes, if you use the word retard, people will take offense, as it's an offensive slang term, like "fag". So deal with it and explain why it isn't offensive. Bonus points if you can do that to a mentally challenged person without feeling a small bit of your soul shrivel away.

Nobody's going to seriously take offense to your use of the word "black".

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Use examples.

I find that hilarious.

I find it more hilarious when black people from America go to other predominately white nations and they're thought of (by some) as welfare leeching immigrants who must've fled from Sudan or wherever else.

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Condunum wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Yeah, political correctness is for black pussy liberal nigger-faggots, and don't you get offended.

Fixed for the reference

:rofl:

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:04 pm

I think people should be allowed to say when they're offended, but that it should not be assumed that they are right to be offended or that whoever offended them needs to shut up. People need to be more willing to stand their ground when expressing controversial opinions. The only reason why political correctness shuts down debate is because people allow themselves to be shut down. Just because someone regurgitates a pedantic lecture about institutional racism and white privilege doesn't mean you have to stop talking and bow down to the lesbian Lizardwomen.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I think people should be allowed to say when they're offended, but that it should not be assumed that they are right to be offended or that whoever offended them needs to shut up. People need to be more willing to stand their ground when expressing controversial opinions. The only reason why political correctness shuts down debate is because people allow themselves to be shut down. Just because someone regurgitates a pedantic lecture about institutional racism and white privilege doesn't mean you have to stop talking and bow down to the lesbian Lizardwomen.

Exactly my point, except for the lesbian LIzardwomen. I have no clue what that's about, but now I'm going to go see how far this Rule 34 thing goes.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:31 pm

To hell with PC. Some people deserve to be offended.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Same goes for if I use the word black instead of African American. Etc.

People always cite this as an example of political correctness, but I haven't really seen it. I use "black" all the time and nobody gives me a hard time about it.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:I think people should be allowed to say when they're offended, but that it should not be assumed that they are right to be offended or that whoever offended them needs to shut up. People need to be more willing to stand their ground when expressing controversial opinions. The only reason why political correctness shuts down debate is because people allow themselves to be shut down. Just because someone regurgitates a pedantic lecture about institutional racism and white privilege doesn't mean you have to stop talking and bow down to the lesbian Lizardwomen.

Exactly my point, except for the lesbian LIzardwomen. I have no clue what that's about, but now I'm going to go see how far this Rule 34 thing goes.

Well, I thought lesbian Lizardwomen are what the far-right is so afraid of...

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:04 pm

This is generally true, although of course there are definitely examples of PC taken way too far.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Quintium wrote:My signature has a very sensible point on political correctness. The subjects for political correctness may have changed since the early 1940s, but the ways in which it is generally carried out have not. It's not so much overt government censorship - which is a shame, because then people couldn't deny it - but rather a sickening, deceptive form of self-censorship by those genuinely afraid of offending someone or something they're afraid to offend.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Conservative carpring about political correctness is largely an effort to avoid getting called out for being racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's as if Conservative America is telling the rest of us, "Look, if I want to call a black man 'nigger', a woman 'slut', and a gay man 'faggot", that's not my problem — it's yours. Grow a pair, accept my right to offend you, AND DON'T TALK BACK."

Thus, my response to criticism of "political correctness": If you want to be a racist, sexist, homophobic, or religious bigot, go ahead — shoot off your mouth. Use whatever hateful language and vile epithets you want; that IS indeed your right.

But don't whine when I rhetorically tear you a bloody new asshole, calling you out for your small-minded hatefulness and unsuitability as even a poor facsimile of a human being. If you're going to reserve the right to be insensitive to others around you, then I'm going to reserve the right to make your asshattery abundantly clear to the world, and ride you off into the sunset like a broken quarterhorse until you can't stand the sound of my voice in your ear.

Because if you insist on exercising your God-given right to bring discomfort and misery to the loves of others, then I'm going to make it my Karmic mission to bring discomfort and misery to yours. First Amendment, bitches.

I... I, ... I love you for this.
I've retired from the forums.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 pm

I find that the hype over it, on both sides, is overrated severely.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Nationstatesology
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatesology » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 am

There is no such thing as Political correctness your all Conspiracy theorists.
Political Correctness in action.
If i post something that you want to talk to me about then you will need to send a telegram i do not make a habit of revisiting old threads and once i have posted it's old to me.
This is a very effective filter to keep people who can't read or can't care away from me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General