NATION

PASSWORD

Hawaii has legalized same sex marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Rocopurr wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Though I view homosexuality as disgusting and immoral, it is good that they are finally granting equal marriage rights to everyone.

How are they disgusting?

Sabara wrote:I honestly hate to talk about this, but all I'm going to say is that kids having two dads or two moms is really not fun. I have nothing against gay people, but kids who have gone through a gay divorce are not 'not affected'.

Not all homosexuals get divorces, and divorces, gay or straight, can be really hard on the children.

Not the homosexuals themselves, but homosexuality as a whole.

Lithosano
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lithosano » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Sabara wrote:
Liriena wrote:Divorces of straight couples also affect children, often quite horribly. If this is your argument against same-sex marriage, it's a really crappy one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/healt ... .html?_r=0

"Young adults from broken homes in which a parent had had a same-sex relationship reported modestly more psychological and social problems in their current lives than peers from other families that had experienced divorce and other disruptions, a new study has found, stirring bitter debate among partisans on gay marriage."

New evidence? ... nope, it's the thoroughly discredited and fatally flawed study by Regnerus.
Learn Things AND Feed the Hungry!
Pro: Social Democracy, Humanism, Equality, Roosevelt, Free science, US Dollar Coin, Renewable and Nuclear Energy
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77
Cosmopolitan Social Democrat
Gay Male

Caladaria
Attaché

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caladaria » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

All of you here appear to support this aberration. I cannot see reason with any of you. Only one person agreed with me on the issue. There are people who are able to go against your arguments: they would brilliantly craft a argument which would blast all of your presumptions out of the water. All of you are wrongly equating the gay rights movement with the civil rights movement. And in particular, African-American rights are still ignored. "In the midst of women's rights, gay rights, minority rights, veteran's rights, Indian rights, Asian rights, Hispanic rights, and immigrant rights, black rights remain invisible." (Dirty Little Secrets About Black History, Its Heroes, and Other Troublemakers, pg. 28). You will march and debate for gay rights, but claim that the civil rights of African-Americans are a separate issue. In this way, you are waving it off.......And this concept of multitasking should mean that this country should also be paying attention to the concerns of minorities and of other groups equally, not in a disproportionate manner. The quote should be taken as meaning that the rights of one group, the most oppressed group in the history of the United States, are considered merely "one of many" that can be "handled by a multitasking society". It is erroneous to claim that gay rights are the same as civil rights.

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Rocopurr wrote:How are they disgusting?

Not all homosexuals get divorces, and divorces, gay or straight, can be really hard on the children.

What about homosexuality is disgusting?
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

...What?

This is like saying black people aren't disgusting, but being black is.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Caladaria wrote:All of you here appear to support this aberration. I cannot see reason with any of you. Only one person agreed with me on the issue. There are people who are able to go against your arguments: they would brilliantly craft a argument which would blast all of your presumptions out of the water. All of you are wrongly equating the gay rights movement with the civil rights movement. And in particular, African-American rights are still ignored. "In the midst of women's rights, gay rights, minority rights, veteran's rights, Indian rights, Asian rights, Hispanic rights, and immigrant rights, black rights remain invisible." (Dirty Little Secrets About Black History, Its Heroes, and Other Troublemakers, pg. 28). You will march and debate for gay rights, but claim that the civil rights of African-Americans are a separate issue. In this way, you are waving it off.......And this concept of multitasking should mean that this country should also be paying attention to the concerns of minorities and of other groups equally, not in a disproportionate manner. The quote should be taken as meaning that the rights of one group, the most oppressed group in the history of the United States, are considered merely "one of many" that can be "handled by a multitasking society". It is erroneous to claim that gay rights are the same as civil rights.

From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

Caladaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Caladaria » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Yes! One who agrees with me.....at least to the point that homosexual unions are not biologically compatible.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Caladaria wrote:You will march and debate for gay rights, but claim that the civil rights of African-Americans are a separate issue.

I'm black, and I support gay rights.

Surprise surprise, looks like your straw man is bullshit.
Mavorpen wrote:
Caladaria wrote:
1) Gay marriage would upset the whole definition of marriage For thousands of years, ever since Man first gained consciousness of himself as a being, the relationship that has been established is between men and women.

This is a lie. Marriage has had varying meanings throughout history including:

1) Selling your daughter to another family in exchange for a gift.
2) Polygamy.
3) A woman being bought by a man into marriage after having sex with her if she was not a virgin.
4) Same sex unions in places such as in ancient Native American societies, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Mesopotamia.
etc. etc.

There has never been a set established relationship where there is only one type of marriage.
Caladaria wrote:Men and women are biologically and psychologically compatible to each other: the means by which they procreate and the means by which they fall in love with each other thus shows that there is a natural background thus, to the formation of the institution of marriage.

That's not how the institution of marriage formed. A primitive form of marriage was formed in order to better protect offspring and have more stability within one group. Homosexuals can still be a part of this because they directly contribute to society and ergo help protect offspring and help reach stability within a group.
Caladaria wrote:Over time, this was formalized: every society, since the dawn of civilization, has acknowledged marriage between men and women. Now, of course homosexuality has existed throughout history, and it was a practice in the societies of Greece and Rome: but in the end, heterosexual marriage was confirmed in its position, especially during the Middle Ages and in fact, all the way up into the twentieth century.

This is an oversimplified view of history.

Same sex marriage most definitely occurred during the Middle Ages. Same sex unions were also available in medieval France through "affrèrement."
Caladaria wrote:Historical considerations provide great support for the logic that argues for why gay marriage is wrong. If you legalized it, you would be upsetting the established balance: that is, the way would be opened to absurd relationships, such as bestiality, and eventually, even to polygamy. Gay marriage cannot be allowed. Marriage is for one man and one woman.

This is odd, because for the vast majority of history, this hasn't been the case. As I said above, the vast majority of human history involved women being sold and bought into marriage, polygamy, etc.
Caladaria wrote:2) Marriage denies a child proper parents For some strange reason, it seems as if homosexual couples adopt varying roles: for example, the one acts "feminine" while the other acts "masculine". However, even with this, the child raised by that couple will not be raised in the proper manner. He or she will not have a true, proper father, and (in the case of male homosexual couples) a true, proper mother. This has a psychological impact upon their development, as they do not have the counterbalancing male and female influences in their lives (at least from their parents). The child is left in conflict with himself and is left wondering about his "parents". This will eventually impact the course of their own relationships.

Except, the research has shown this is bullshit.

Caladaria wrote:3)Gay rights are not the same as civil rights Gay rights advocates claim that their movement for the legalization of gay marriage is the same as civil rights. This is false. Sexual orientation and race are of two completely different planes. African-Americans, for example, were enslaved and put under Jim Crowism for a very long time in the United States. Jews, for example, were persecuted on the basis of their race and religion.

...What?

You're completely missing the point of the comparison. The point of the comparison isn't to say that the two are exactly to same. Furthermore, the civil rights movement wasn't to end slavery. No one is comparing homosexuals not having the right to marry to slavery. No one is comparing it to Jim Crow.
Caladaria wrote:In my view, slavery, racial discrimination, and genocide are of a far more serious nature then of merely denying homosexuals the right to marriage.

Except, not being able to be married isn't the only problem homosexuals have faced. Homosexuals have been slaughtered in genocides as well (I guess you have never heard of a man named Hitler). Homosexuals have been lynched by the KKK along with African Americans. Homosexuals are often bullied to the point of suicide.
Caladaria wrote:Besides this, people of varying races, and different genders can marry, without being in contradiction to the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God.

Not according to white Americans before the civil rights era.

Tell me, why is your argument any better than theirs?
Caladaria wrote:Homosexual couples, however, would not follow this, as they are unable to procreate and have children of their own (unless if they use artificial techniques, in the case of female couples, or adopt) and have never been the norm of relationships.

Except, the elderly can get married. Sterile individuals can get married. Clearly marriage has utterly nothing to do with your imaginary "Laws of Nature" and "Nature's God."
Caladaria wrote:Thus, I would march, with all of my being, for justice for those who have been lynched or shut out of a store because of a sign saying "No Coloreds allowed". I would never march for something which is against the laws of society and against common sense.

And yet, homosexuals have faced both of those discriminatory events.

Homosexuals HAVE been lynched, and in many placed in the world, they're downright hunted down to be put to death. Homosexuals HAVE been refused access to stores.
Caladaria wrote:4) The BIOLOGICAL aspect! My fourth and final major reason for why gay marriage is wrong results from common sense. As stated in my first reason, marriage between men and women developed because it was universally recognized that men and women were biologically and psychologically compatible to each other. This is not the case for homosexual couples: two homosexual men or two homosexual women cannot procreate a child. This in itself argues against gay marriage! If they cannot have children, then why should they be in a legally recognized union?

If old people cannot have children, then why should they be in a legally recognized union?
If sterile people cannot have children, then why should they be in a legally recognized union?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Caladaria wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Not the homosexuals themselves, but homosexuality as a whole.

Yes! One who agrees with me.....at least to the point that homosexual unions are not biologically compatible.

The purpose of Marriage is not for reproduction, as has been established.
Forever a Communist

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Not the homosexuals themselves, but homosexuality as a whole.

...What?

How?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Caladaria wrote:

Of course it is. Haven't you seen all of those old people having their marriage terminated because they can't reproduce?

Oh wait.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Caladaria wrote:

...Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Caladaria wrote:

If it is your religion that has you believe this, then present it as your religion.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:...What?

How?

Because homosexuality, like being black, is something that occurs naturally to them.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

How?

You said that homosexuals aren't disgusting, but being homosexual is, did you not?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

How?

...How is it not?

In both cases, you'd be claiming that you hate a fundamental and integral part of the person while not hating the person itself. No matter what, it's silly.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

How?

They're both something that can't be helped. Might as well be the same.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Beta Test wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:How?

Because homosexuality, like being black, is something that occurs naturally to them.

Is there evidence for this? I need sources.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

It's demonstrably true that marriage is not primarily for reproduction.

Otherwise, sterile folks and older folks wouldn't be able to get married.
Forever a Communist

Caladaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Caladaria » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Caladaria wrote:You will march and debate for gay rights, but claim that the civil rights of African-Americans are a separate issue.

I'm black, and I support gay rights.

Surprise surprise, looks like your straw man is bullshit.
Mavorpen wrote:This is a lie. Marriage has had varying meanings throughout history including:

1) Selling your daughter to another family in exchange for a gift.
2) Polygamy.
3) A woman being bought by a man into marriage after having sex with her if she was not a virgin.
4) Same sex unions in places such as in ancient Native American societies, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Mesopotamia.
etc. etc.

There has never been a set established relationship where there is only one type of marriage.

That's not how the institution of marriage formed. A primitive form of marriage was formed in order to better protect offspring and have more stability within one group. Homosexuals can still be a part of this because they directly contribute to society and ergo help protect offspring and help reach stability within a group.

This is an oversimplified view of history.

Same sex marriage most definitely occurred during the Middle Ages. Same sex unions were also available in medieval France through "affrèrement."

This is odd, because for the vast majority of history, this hasn't been the case. As I said above, the vast majority of human history involved women being sold and bought into marriage, polygamy, etc.

Except, the research has shown this is bullshit.

...What?

You're completely missing the point of the comparison. The point of the comparison isn't to say that the two are exactly to same. Furthermore, the civil rights movement wasn't to end slavery. No one is comparing homosexuals not having the right to marry to slavery. No one is comparing it to Jim Crow.

Except, not being able to be married isn't the only problem homosexuals have faced. Homosexuals have been slaughtered in genocides as well (I guess you have never heard of a man named Hitler). Homosexuals have been lynched by the KKK along with African Americans. Homosexuals are often bullied to the point of suicide.

Not according to white Americans before the civil rights era.

Tell me, why is your argument any better than theirs?

Except, the elderly can get married. Sterile individuals can get married. Clearly marriage has utterly nothing to do with your imaginary "Laws of Nature" and "Nature's God."

And yet, homosexuals have faced both of those discriminatory events.

Homosexuals HAVE been lynched, and in many placed in the world, they're downright hunted down to be put to death. Homosexuals HAVE been refused access to stores.

If old people cannot have children, then why should they be in a legally recognized union?
If sterile people cannot have children, then why should they be in a legally recognized union?

I have said time and time again: I bear no prejudice against homosexuals! I only oppose the institution of gay marriage. People here seem not to be able to understand that. And I was talking about African-American and other minority civil rights in general, compared to gay rights: that the one is more immediate than the other. I did not mean to say that there weren't any blacks who supported gay marriage. I know that there are. Misinterpretation of my comments by all the people here: causing a great amount of confusion.

Urmanian
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Urmanian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Caladaria wrote:All of you here appear to support this aberration. I cannot see reason with any of you. Only one person agreed with me on the issue. There are people who are able to go against your arguments: they would brilliantly craft a argument which would blast all of your presumptions out of the water. All of you are wrongly equating the gay rights movement with the civil rights movement. And in particular, African-American rights are still ignored. "In the midst of women's rights, gay rights, minority rights, veteran's rights, Indian rights, Asian rights, Hispanic rights, and immigrant rights, black rights remain invisible." (Dirty Little Secrets About Black History, Its Heroes, and Other Troublemakers, pg. 28). You will march and debate for gay rights, but claim that the civil rights of African-Americans are a separate issue. In this way, you are waving it off.......And this concept of multitasking should mean that this country should also be paying attention to the concerns of minorities and of other groups equally, not in a disproportionate manner. The quote should be taken as meaning that the rights of one group, the most oppressed group in the history of the United States, are considered merely "one of many" that can be "handled by a multitasking society". It is erroneous to claim that gay rights are the same as civil rights.

Merriam-Webster wrote:CIVIL RIGHTS: the nonpolitical rights of a citizen

Wikipedia wrote:Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments and private organizations, and ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the state without discrimination or repression.

When people say "gay marriage is a civil right" they are not equating gay marriage to the African-American Civil Rights Movement of the 50's. They are saying that it's a civil right in the greater sense. And it is.
✮ The Vermillion Republic of Sorrelia ✮
Commie ponies with guns and such. One of the OG MLP nations, funnily enough I don't care for EaW pretty much at all.

This nation represents the voices in my head.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:How?

...How is it not?

In both cases, you'd be claiming that you hate a fundamental and integral part of the person while not hating the person itself. No matter what, it's silly.

Well, I am entitled to my own opinion, and I still view homosexuality as disgusting.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

If you've been in an abortion debate where people explain that the purpose of sex is not solely for reproduction but can also be for improving a relationship, you may be better able to understand the point.
Code: Select all

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Rocopurr wrote:

What about homosexuality is disgusting?

So... I'm guessing you're just going to ignore my post? A+ debating skills right there.
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Caladaria wrote:I have said time and time again: I bear no prejudice against homosexuals! I only oppose the institution of gay marriage. People here seem not to be able to understand that. And I was talking about African-American and other minority civil rights in general, compared to gay rights: that the one is more immediate than the other. I did not mean to say that there weren't any blacks who supported gay marriage. I know that there are. Misinterpretation of my comments by all the people here: causing a great amount of confusion.

You bear no prejudice against them but then go on to oppose an institution which would present them with legal and social equality. Right.

"I bear no prejudice against women, I only oppose the institution of female suffrage."
Last edited by Valendia on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General