NATION

PASSWORD

Organic vs. Conventional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Luxew
Senator

Founded: Jun 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Organic vs. Conventional

Postby Luxew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:51 pm

At our school lately, our class had a debate of organic vs. conventional (this was later organic vs. local), and as we move on to a new subject in our Communications class, I was left indifferent. I want to eat organic, but I would have to surrender so many foods and have a sustainable cash flow (which I don't have). We read a 2007 Times Magazine article called Eating Better Than Organic where the author decided he would go for the locally grown, conventional one. We also read Michael Pollan's An Omnivore's Dilemma and Bryan Walsh's article on how we should all eat organic. So, I wanted to see what you prefer, and what I should do.
I am extremely incompetent. Ask anyone.
That Awkward Moment When the Duke of Burgundy Dies
Liberal, and if I was old enough, would vote Democrat.
I do RP. Sometimes. Just TG me if you are interested (probably not, tho).
Lives in that other city in Pennsylvania
The worst klutz who has ever lived. Also likes to read and write. Fanatic over GoT, Veep, and House Hunters
Why the UK Election Results are the Worst in History
Steam: ald678 | Gmail: TG me for that.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Luxew wrote:At our school lately, our class had a debate of organic vs. conventional (this was later organic vs. local), and as we move on to a new subject in our Communications class, I was left indifferent. I want to eat organic, but I would have to surrender so many foods and have a sustainable cash flow (which I don't have). We read a 2007 Times Magazine article called Eating Better Than Organic where the author decided he would go for the locally grown, conventional one. We also read Michael Pollan's An Omnivore's Dilemma and Bryan Walsh's article on how we should all eat organic. So, I wanted to see what you prefer, and what I should do.

Organic foods are often deficient compared to GMOs.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm

You really should specify that you're talking about food before you start explaining.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

The Tundra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Organic all day every day.

mostly for religious reasons, but because organic foods have alot of vitamins, minerals, proteins and many other things that normally extremely processed foods just don't think to have. my protip to eating organic: learn to cook. cooking will save you money, and you can make the best god damn dishes you want. plus, it will get you laided easier if you cook food for the girl you want. (wouldn't suggest it for women hoping to seduce guys, it will make him feel entitled.)

i have a smoker, a gas powered stove, and i get all my meats from local farmers who slaughter them day of for best freshness. you have not lived until you've had a stake so tender and flavorful it just melts in your mouth. you won't ever want to go back.
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.
Conservative Conservationists wrote:Too many puns and bad media lines
Must... Stop.... Self....

Stuff it

Despite anal probe, no crack found by police
Anal probe was shitty
Implements inserted for a crap reason
Man seeking a rears for police brutality
Man sues asses for penetrating his own
Police demand to spread went too far
Long arm of law goes inside
Lesson: Only stick it up there with permission.

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

Luxew
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Luxew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Bezombia wrote:You really should specify that you're talking about food before you start explaining.

I'm sorry (I am very apologetic).
I'm talking about all types of agriculture, like ranchers, farmers, etc.
The worst klutz who has ever lived. Also likes to read and write. Fanatic over GoT, Veep, and House Hunters

Alancar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alancar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:02 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Organic foods are often deficient compared to GMOs.

Aren't organic foods, foods produced without chemical pesticides?

I think technically GMOs can be considered organic, though generally they are not.
"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand."
"I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."

Mal's song - Firefly

Westward - Scifi webcomic
"I wouldn't know an answer if I saw one Francis. I have only ever found clues." - Phobos

Uieurnthlaal
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Uieurnthlaal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:02 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Luxew wrote:At our school lately, our class had a debate of organic vs. conventional (this was later organic vs. local), and as we move on to a new subject in our Communications class, I was left indifferent. I want to eat organic, but I would have to surrender so many foods and have a sustainable cash flow (which I don't have). We read a 2007 Times Magazine article called Eating Better Than Organic where the author decided he would go for the locally grown, conventional one. We also read Michael Pollan's An Omnivore's Dilemma and Bryan Walsh's article on how we should all eat organic. So, I wanted to see what you prefer, and what I should do.

Organic foods are often deficient compared to GMOs.

Deficient in what? Deficient in CRY 3A Bt toxin, yes.
Official Name : Hanruskë Vangareksau Vjörnatlalos

Language : Vjörnissa

Alancar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alancar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm

The Tundra wrote:but because organic foods have alot of vitamins, minerals, proteins and many other things that normally extremely processed foods just don't think to have.

I think you are a little confused. The question is between organic produce and conventional. Organic produce being produce made without chemical additives such as pesticides or hormones.

What you are talking about is between pre-packaged processed food and regular food.
"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand."
"I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."

Mal's song - Firefly

Westward - Scifi webcomic
"I wouldn't know an answer if I saw one Francis. I have only ever found clues." - Phobos

Luxew
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Luxew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm

The Tundra wrote:Organic all day every day.

mostly for religious reasons, but because organic foods have alot of vitamins, minerals, proteins and many other things that normally extremely processed foods just don't think to have. my protip to eating organic: learn to cook. cooking will save you money, and you can make the best god damn dishes you want. plus, it will get you laided easier if you cook food for the girl you want. (wouldn't suggest it for women hoping to seduce guys, it will make him feel entitled.)

i have a smoker, a gas powered stove, and i get all my meats from local farmers who slaughter them day of for best freshness. you have not lived until you've had a stake so tender and flavorful it just melts in your mouth. you won't ever want to go back.

I really thought that I was going pro-organic until I read the last article! It sounds so different after reading John Cloud's opinion. He says he would rather go for the local (but conventional) apple grown his home state of New York, other than the organic one grown in California. He also does the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), where the grow conventional. He also said "... local farming feels like I can connect with my food". And I do like what you said it does. But what is your stance on the locality of your food?

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Luxew wrote:
Bezombia wrote:You really should specify that you're talking about food before you start explaining.

I'm sorry (I am very apologetic).
I'm talking about all types of agriculture, like ranchers, farmers, etc.

I thought you were talking about bombs.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Luxew
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Luxew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Alancar wrote:
The Tundra wrote:but because organic foods have alot of vitamins, minerals, proteins and many other things that normally extremely processed foods just don't think to have.

I think you are a little confused. The question is between organic produce and conventional. Organic produce being produce made without chemical additives such as pesticides or hormones.

What you are talking about is between pre-packaged processed food and regular food.

Thank you for reminding me but I know remember a line from Eating Better Than Organic: that scientists don't know what makes organic healthy, but they know it is healthy.
Last edited by Luxew on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Uieurnthlaal wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Organic foods are often deficient compared to GMOs.

Deficient in what? Deficient in CRY 3A Bt toxin, yes.

No study has ever found GMO's to be toxic to people; they provide better yields, and are thus able to feed more people than organic foods ever could hope to.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Holy Empire of Avalon
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Empire of Avalon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I myself really like Organic foods, every since I cut GMO foods out of my diet I am a lot healthier and have lost many pounds. Now mind you I am not your usual Organic food guy either, I am a strong Conservative so I am not just preaching Organic food because it fits my political agenda; I do actually like Organic foods better.
Global War on Crime
______
Operation: VENGEFUL SPIRIT
|____|
Order of the Purple Cross
______
Al-Khalifiya Campaign
_|||_|||_
Arabic Spain Remembrance
______
Aravean Liberation
______
Magian Defense
||||||||

The Tundra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Alancar wrote:

i am retarded then

Conventional all the way, its just part of our growing as a civilisation.
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.

Stuff it

Anal probe was shitty

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Luxew wrote:
Alancar wrote:I think you are a little confused. The question is between organic produce and conventional. Organic produce being produce made without chemical additives such as pesticides or hormones.

Thank you for reminding me but I know remember a line from Eating Better Than Organic: that scientists don't know what makes organic healthy, but they know it is healthy.

Really? If you have a copy handy, could you find what he's citing for that? Because there are definitely problems with organic.
Alancar wrote:

Aren't organic foods, foods produced without chemical pesticides?

I think technically GMOs can be considered organic, though generally they are not.

Unfortunately not.
piss

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Holy Empire of Avalon wrote:I myself really like Organic foods, every since I cut GMO foods out of my diet I am a lot healthier and have lost many pounds. Now mind you I am not your usual Organic food guy either, I am a strong Conservative so I am not just preaching Organic food because it fits my political agenda; I do actually like Organic foods better.

I think you may be confusing correlation with causation. What other dietary changes did you make besides not eating GMOs? Did you eat exactly the same sorts of foods, just without GMOs? Because otherwise it was likely other factors which changed your health status.
piss

Nedial
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nedial » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:16 pm

They grew organic in the middle ages. Tons of people starved.

Uieurnthlaal
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uieurnthlaal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:17 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Uieurnthlaal wrote:Deficient in what? Deficient in CRY 3A Bt toxin, yes.

No study has ever found GMO's to be toxic to people; they provide better yields, and are thus able to feed more people than organic foods ever could hope to.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... fied-crops
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 013.806408

You'd be surprised.

The Tundra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Luxew wrote:
The Tundra wrote:Organic all day every day.

I really thought that I was going pro-organic until I read the last article! It sounds so different after reading John Cloud's opinion. He says he would rather go for the local (but conventional) apple grown his home state of New York, other than the organic one grown in California. He also does the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), where the grow conventional. He also said "... local farming feels like I can connect with my food". And I do like what you said it does. But what is your stance on the locality of your food?

only local foods are on my table for religious and personal reasons. for one, i know exactly what is in my foods, and for two, i get them cheap cheap cheap. i live in a pretty big farming community on the east coast, so Shellfish, Meat, and vegies are all dirt cheap.

Stuff it

Anal probe was shitty

Uieurnthlaal
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uieurnthlaal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Nedial wrote:They grew organic in the middle ages. Tons of people starved.

Holy Empire of Avalon wrote:I myself really like Organic foods, every since I cut GMO foods out of my diet I am a lot healthier and have lost many pounds. Now mind you I am not your usual Organic food guy either, I am a strong Conservative so I am not just preaching Organic food because it fits my political agenda; I do actually like Organic foods better.

What do these two quotes have in common? They both demonstrate that their authors are unaware of the correlation-causation fallacy.

Luxew
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Luxew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Luxew wrote:

Really? If you have a copy handy, could you find what he's citing for that? Because there are definitely problems with organic.
Alancar wrote:Aren't organic foods, foods produced without chemical pesticides?

Unfortunately not.

I couldn't find it, but here's a line from it:
"In a paper published in October in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a team from the University of California, Davis, demonstrates that organically grown tomatoes have significantly more vitamin C than conventional tomatoes. Even so, the same study shows
no significant differences between conventional and organic bell peppers."

So not all organic foods are healthier.

Nedial
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nedial » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Uieurnthlaal wrote:
Nedial wrote:They grew organic in the middle ages. Tons of people starved.

What do these two quotes have in common? They both demonstrate that their authors are unaware of the correlation-causation fallacy.

How else would they starve?

Holy Empire of Avalon
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Empire of Avalon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Shaggai wrote:

I think you may be confusing correlation with causation. What other dietary changes did you make besides not eating GMOs? Did you eat exactly the same sorts of foods, just without GMOs? Because otherwise it was likely other factors which changed your health status.

Yeah same foods just GMO free, I still eat chips and all too they are just GMO free now. The weight I dropped was about the ten extra pounds of fat I had on my sides to clarify. Not saying everyone should be forced or brainwashed into eating Organic food, because after all this is America land of freedom, but I do know the results for me have been good; so I support the Organic side.
Global War on Crime
______
Operation: VENGEFUL SPIRIT
|____|
Order of the Purple Cross
______
Al-Khalifiya Campaign
_|||_|||_
Arabic Spain Remembrance
______
Aravean Liberation
______
Magian Defense
||||||||

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:21 pm

When it comes to health benefits and environmental stuff: Organic > Conventional

When it comes to the economy, price, and efficiency: Conventional > Organic
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Holy Empire of Avalon wrote:
Shaggai wrote:I think you may be confusing correlation with causation. What other dietary changes did you make besides not eating GMOs? Did you eat exactly the same sorts of foods, just without GMOs? Because otherwise it was likely other factors which changed your health status.

Yeah same foods just GMO free, I still eat chips and all too they are just GMO free now. The weight I dropped was about the ten extra pounds of fat I had on my sides to clarify. Not saying everyone should be forced or brainwashed into eating Organic food, because after all this is America land of freedom, but I do know the results for me have been good; so I support the Organic side.

Interesting. Did you make any other lifestyle changes around then?
piss

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General