NATION

PASSWORD

What is reality?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

What is reality?

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 pm

First, I'll preemptively apologize in case this OP becomes a bit too bloggy, but there will be some questions at the end.

So, lately, I've been having these dreams which havr become quite upsetting. In general, they match the real world and my real life exactly except for one or two differences. Sometimes, the only difference is simply that it didn't happen, but it otherwise could have.

Because of the nature of these dreams, I usually end up believing them wholly while I'm asleep and treat them like I'm reviewing a memory. Their typical focus on details does not help this.

In my mind, I have an image of a place embedded so thoroughly that I must actively label it as a dream every time it comes up. So, what happens if I start forgetting to label it? Are there any memories where that has already happened? I continuously question myself because I can never say with 100% certainty that all my memories are true. Some, or even many, may ne fabricated. These false memories may not have even originated from dreams. They could have slowly drained emerged during my waking hours.

So, here's my question for you, General: can you all trust yourselves? How do you know your memories are all factual? Is there any way any of us can be certain? We all must view our minds through our minds, so if something is wrong, we would have no way of truly knowing. We cannot, by it's very nature, objectively analyze our own minds, so without any basis in fact, how can we know everything is working correctly?

These things worry me. In thirty years, my memories of my childhood could be nothing but delusions of a false life, and I have ansolutely no way of stopping this or even seeing it happen. I just feel so pitifully powerless. Do any of you feel this way, too, or am I just thinking too hard?
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Olthar wrote:First, I'll preemptively apologize in case this OP becomes a bit too bloggy, but there will be some questions at the end.

So, lately, I've been having these dreams which havr become quite upsetting. In general, they match the real world and my real life exactly except for one or two differences. Sometimes, the only difference is simply that it didn't happen, but it otherwise could have.

Because of the nature of these dreams, I usually end up believing them wholly while I'm asleep and treat them like I'm reviewing a memory. Their typical focus on details does not help this.

In my mind, I have an image of a place embedded so thoroughly that I must actively label it as a dream every time it comes up. So, what happens if I start forgetting to label it? Are there any memories where that has already happened? I continuously question myself because I can never say with 100% certainty that all my memories are true. Some, or even many, may ne fabricated. These false memories may not have even originated from dreams. They could have slowly drained emerged during my waking hours.

So, here's my question for you, General: can you all trust yourselves? How do you know your memories are all factual? Is there any way any of us can be certain? We all must view our minds through our minds, so if something is wrong, we would have no way of truly knowing. We cannot, by it's very nature, objectively analyze our own minds, so without any basis in fact, how can we know everything is working correctly?

These things worry me. In thirty years, my memories of my childhood could be nothing but delusions of a false life, and I have ansolutely no way of stopping this or even seeing it happen. I just feel so pitifully powerless. Do any of you feel this way, too, or am I just thinking too hard?

I think you're just thinking too hard. We can't all trust ourselves, so we can't know really know everything is working correctly. Anyways, why worry about not being able to have certain memories in thirty years. Memories are nice(usually) but that's thirty years from now, live in the moment.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

I thought this was going to be an OP on solipsism. Thank the Gids.

To address the OP, I think your fears might be a bit exaggerated, but they're in the right place.

We're all naturally afraid of losing our minds and our cherished memories. It's what makes us what we are.
Forever a Communist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm

The Scientific States wrote:I think you're just thinking too hard. We can't all trust ourselves, so we can't know really know everything is working correctly. Anyways, why worry about not being able to have certain memories in thirty years. Memories are nice(usually) but that's thirty years from now, live in the moment.

I'm sorry. I simply cannot do that. It is in my nature to think and ponder. I can't simply ignore the future; it will happen.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm

You're thinking too hard.
But, alas, as someone who is wont to do the same thing, I understand completely.
We can't trust our memories. We can't really trust anything. I suppose whatever you consider your reality is real to you.
Sun Wukong wrote:All hail Stern. Empress of Nerds. Dread-Queen of TeT.
Other Thafoo wrote:hey stern, you should put this quote into your sig, it'll be fun

"bananas"
Esternial wrote:You're a good student, Sterny.

You'll accomplish great things.

Or end up faced down in the gutter, completely wasted.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Olthar wrote:So, here's my question for you, General: can you all trust yourselves?

I can trust myself enough to do what I want and not fdo things I don't want to do.

How do you know your memories are all factual?

Corresponding information from others who are in my memories?
Blind faith?

Is there any way any of us can be certain?

Probably video or corresponding information from multiple people and sources.

We all must view our minds through our minds, so if something is wrong, we would have no way of truly knowing. We cannot, by it's very nature, objectively analyze our own minds, so without any basis in fact, how can we know everything is working correctly?

Scientific method.
Hell if I know. I'm sure neuroscientists can provide answers.

Probably thinking too hard. What relevance do these memories you claim are false have on your current life? Even if said memories are doctored, does it really matter? What I mean is what possible effects could false memories have on your present life?
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Blasveck wrote:I thought this was going to be an OP on solipsism. Thank the Gids.

To address the OP, I think your fears might be a bit exaggerated, but they're in the right place.

We're all naturally afraid of losing our minds and our cherished memories. It's what makes us what we are.

Are they? They might be exaggerated as no one really seems to have any problems with this, but on the other hand, everyone could simply not recognize the problems and ignorantly live lives of delusion, like what I could eventually do, or maybe even do right now. I can't verify my mind with my mind, and that's all I have.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Olthar wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:I think you're just thinking too hard. We can't all trust ourselves, so we can't know really know everything is working correctly. Anyways, why worry about not being able to have certain memories in thirty years. Memories are nice(usually) but that's thirty years from now, live in the moment.

I'm sorry. I simply cannot do that. It is in my nature to think and ponder. I can't simply ignore the future; it will happen.

Worrying about the future is fine, but you're worrying about the inevitable. You cannot stop it, and by the time it happens it won't matter to you anymore.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:You're thinking too hard.
But, alas, as someone who is wont to do the same thing, I understand completely.
We can't trust our memories. We can't really trust anything. I suppose whatever you consider your reality is real to you.

But is that enough? Is it okay to ignore the potential inaccuracies and willfully live with false memories? Maybe to some or most, I suppose...

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:44 pm

The Scientific States wrote:You cannot stop it, and by the time it happens it won't matter to you anymore.

And that's why I worry.

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Olthar wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:You're thinking too hard.

But is that enough? Is it okay to ignore the potential inaccuracies and willfully live with false memories? Maybe to some or most, I suppose...

I tend to think it's not enough. My mindset leans towards yours. However, I imagine it'd be quite hard to tell what's "real" and what's "fake" once you realize that anything you think could be a false truth.
Other Thafoo wrote:hey stern, you should put this quote into your sig, it'll be fun

"bananas"

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Olthar wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:You cannot stop it, and by the time it happens it won't matter to you anymore.

And that's why I worry.

You need to relax. You can't hold on to memories forever, everyday we lose so many memories and it doesn't cause the slightest inconvenience to us because we won't remember. Remember the more memories we lose the more we gain.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I once dreamed an entire lifetime.
I had a wife, kids, and a very happy home.
Then I woke up. :(

Sometimes I hate reality.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Write a journal. Keep a record. Hell, write down your dreams. If you feel you have to, get some therapy. Whatever it is you feel you need to do to keep yourself aware of what is real and what is imagined. Plenty of us, even those of us given to daydreaming and wild imaginations, manage on a daily basis. Even the ones who RP and surround themselves purposefully with fantasy worlds, stories, and situations.

You're right - this is coming across fairly bloggish.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Mkuki wrote:<snip>

I don't carry a video camera 24/7, nor am I around other people every moment of the day. There are lots of times when I am alone. There are also lots of small things that most others won't bother to even remember.

Probably thinking too hard. What relevance do these memories you claim are false have on your current life? Even if said memories are doctored, does it really matter? What I mean is what possible effects could false memories have on your present life?

They matter simply because I care about these sorts of things.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:
Olthar wrote:But is that enough? Is it okay to ignore the potential inaccuracies and willfully live with false memories? Maybe to some or most, I suppose...

I tend to think it's not enough. My mindset leans towards yours. However, I imagine it'd be quite hard to tell what's "real" and what's "fake" once you realize that anything you think could be a false truth.

And therein lies the problem. We must simply accept our minds as truth on blind faith or risk going mad trying in vain to figure it out. Unfortunately, I can't help but continue on down this road. I couldn't live with myself if I simply dropped this.

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Olthar wrote:
Stern des Meeres wrote:I tend to think it's not enough. My mindset leans towards yours. However, I imagine it'd be quite hard to tell what's "real" and what's "fake" once you realize that anything you think could be a false truth.

And therein lies the problem. We must simply accept our minds as truth on blind faith or risk going mad trying in vain to figure it out. Unfortunately, I can't help but continue on down this road. I couldn't live with myself if I simply dropped this.

It's a double-edged sword.
You either admit that you're crazy and lying to yourself and accept it, or go crazy while trying to avoid lying to yourself.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I can't say I have an answer of which is better.

"bananas"

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Olthar wrote:And that's why I worry.

You need to relax. You can't hold on to memories forever, everyday we lose so many memories and it doesn't cause the slightest inconvenience to us because we won't remember. Remember the more memories we lose the more we gain.

Indeed. That is true, but I am a perfectionist and completionist. I want a wholly flawless and untainted collection of memories. I want the truth, not a false life of false memories.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Genivaria wrote:I once dreamed an entire lifetime.

True. Reality can be harsh, but is blissful ignorance more preferable than lurid reality? I do not know.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm

"Zorblak, subject #3174 is asking questions again. Get off your cloaca and realign her will ya?"
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Olthar wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:

Indeed. That is true, but I am a perfectionist and completionist. I want a wholly flawless and untainted collection of memories. I want the truth, not a false life of false memories.

Many want that, but it's impossible. Despite what my national motto claims, don't spend your whole life worrying about the inevitable and don't try to achieve what is truly impossible. It's a big waste of a short life you're lucky to live.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Stern des Meeres
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Stern des Meeres » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Olthar wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I once dreamed an entire lifetime.

True. Reality can be harsh, but is blissful ignorance more preferable than lurid reality? I do not know.

The problem is, you're never going to achieve this lurid reality. We have an imperfect understanding of the world. Is there a point in worrying about so useless a goal?

"bananas"

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Ahh, memory. One of the most unreliable things, in my opinion.

You see, the brain is imperfect. That's why almost everyone is ignorant one way or the other. Occasionally, your memory slips up, and puts the wrong thing in the wrong place, or puts something there that never happened. Sometimes it puts something in the past that really is happening right now(this would be a deja vu) So, if you keep remembering things that never happened, blame your memory. It's probably playing some cruel joke. I know mine does that all the time.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Write a journal. Keep a record. Hell, write down your dreams. If you feel you have to, get some therapy. Whatever it is you feel you need to do to keep yourself aware of what is real and what is imagined. Plenty of us, even those of us given to daydreaming and wild imaginations, manage on a daily basis. Even the ones who RP and surround themselves purposefully with fantasy worlds, stories, and situations.

You're right - this is coming across fairly bloggish.

I have no problems distinguishing fantasy. I am not a nutcase. Obviously, Frodo didn't exist, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about something more subtle and elusive. I'm talking about memories and the flawed method of archiving them in our brains. Sure, the important stuff will stay there unharmed by time, but I am not content with that and want to hold onto the small stuff, too, the small stuff everyone else ignores.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 pm

I have confidence that one day we will build a machine that can see past our cognitive limitations.

Until then, I try to think of it more positively: I get to be a new person every few years, and there are huge continuity problems... just like with The Doctor.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General