NATION

PASSWORD

Bill that requires child molesters be castrated.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
That is a slightly different axiom, not circular logic. If he said "people are fundamentally good because they only do wrong because they don't know any better because they are fundamentally good", that would be circular logic (A -> B ->A). That isn't even slightly what he said. What he said was (A. A -> B. B). That's a perfectly valid logical inference, and if you really want, I can prove that it's valid in a sound proof system.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the argument Bluth is, or rather, has made, concerning te whole "People are fundamentally good" argumet.

You are entirely mistaken, to the point that I'm honestly not sure you've actually been reading his posts.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Vault 1
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Natapoc wrote:Are you seriously advocating eugenics?

Accepting eugenics is the first step to accepting human genetic engineering, which is going to be vital for mankind's survival in an increasingly degrading environment.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, that's the argument Bluth is, or rather, has made, concerning te whole "People are fundamentally good" argumet.

You are entirely mistaken, to the point that I'm honestly not sure you've actually been reading his posts.

I have been.

He's said before that
A: People are fudamentally good and
B: if people do wrong, it's because they don't know any better because
A: People who are fundamentally good would never do wrong, and if they do, it's because they don't know any better because

.....And so on and so on.

Unless I'm missing something, he's saying that A; therefore B, because of A.

He's made that exact claim before, and he's doing it again.
But enough with this threadjack. I guess I'm just not understanding this. Probably because I'm tired at the moment, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Forever a Communist

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I have been.

He's said before that
A: People are fudamentally good and
B: if people do wrong, it's because they don't know any better because
A: People who are fundamentally good would never do wrong, and if they do, it's because they don't know any better because

.....And so on and so on.

Unless I'm missing something, he's saying that A; therefore B, because of A.

He's made that exact claim before, and he's doing it again.
But enough with this threadjack. I guess I'm just not understanding this. Probably because I'm tired at the moment, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Your first and third statements are not in any way the same thing. It's A: People are fundamentally good. B: Therefore, if people do wrong, it's because they don't know any better. That's it. There's no circular logic here, merely a philosophical position taken as axiomatic.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Vazeckta
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazeckta » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:54 pm

This is something one might hear people say every now and then, but getting castrated definitely falls under cruel and/or unusual punishment, so I'm gonna have to say we can't do that. Who knows, maybe rehab and a half decent mental health system could aid the problem too.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
I would probably vote with the American Libertarian Party.
I'm a Christian.
Likes:Capitalism, Classical liberalism, religion, state secularism,gay marriage, charity, God
Dislikes:Left-wing economics, statism, authoritarianism, theocracy, state atheism, social security, welfare, UN, DPRK, PRC
Meh:Teetotalism, pro-choice, EU, legalizing drugs
Blazedtown wrote:
Gladia wrote:I hope you two don't plan on procreating.

Why? A family cross burning is a great bonding activity.

Terrordome
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrordome » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm

I would be for this if it was amended so that rep. Steve hurst is forced to eat the balls raw with no sauce or seasoning. After all we can't put a price on our children's safety can we Steve?
My nation does not reflect my real political views!
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08

Previous

Return to General