NATION

PASSWORD

How do you know what gender you identify as?(if any)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 am

Creativalsia wrote:How does one know if they are transgender, gender queer or non-gendered? For that matter, what is gender?

I've decided I must be non-gendered because I don't identify as any particular gender. (In addition to becomming mildly annoyed whenever anyone ascribes a gender to me whatsoever, but that's only arisen the more i've thought about gender and gender identity.)
In fact you've touched upon why I think everyone is probably non-gendered.

What does being male or female even feel like?
How would you know any different?

From the "Outside" of gender it seems to be a whole lot of nonsense and granfalloonery.
The notion of identifying as male or female, when there are no agreed upon qualifications beyond a vague "clap your hands if you believe", makes it a granfalloon.

"I'm a male!"
"What makes you male?"
"I say I am."
"And if you said you were female?"
"I'd be that instead."
^
Granfalloonery in a nutshell.

Pangendered individuals (Ones who traverse particular identities at any one time, being male one day and female the next) may be able to provide some insight, but i've yet to stumble across one.

If there are any pangendered individuals here, could you please try and elaborate as to the differences in how it feels to be male, and how it feels to be female.

If, as I suspect, it's a granfalloon, the answer is going to be simply identifying as part of group A or group B, without any actual change in characteristic or feeling. Just that suddenly you feel like part of one group and not the other.

If however there is something broader, you're incredibly likely (in my experience) to run face first into being considered sexist.

"What's it like to be a male?"
"You feel strong."
BZZZZZ. wrong. etc

EDIT:
I have stuck to the gender binary of male female for the most part in this post for shorthand purposes.

DOUBLEEDIT:
I feel the need to point out that, regardless of what gender truly is, it certainly isn't what the "It's your junk that decides it!" people think.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 am

New Waterford wrote:I know because my reproductive organs are of a certain type, and I wish to keep them that way.

You seem to have a belief that sexual organs determine your gender, then go further on to imply everyone female with a penis could only want to get it switched to a vagina. Am I not too far off from what your post meant?

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:I feel the need to point out that, regardless of what gender truly is, it certainly isn't what the "It's your junk that decides it!" people think.

:hug:
I assume those annoy you to no end too.

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:20 am

Noireaux wrote:Precisely, every deviation is a deviation by definition, therefore an illness. Whomever feels uncomfortable with logic is a psychopath. And whomever fabricates or twists studies for liberal causes, or as we like to call it over here "radical tolerance", should go to jail for crimes against rationality.

Deviation does not equate to an illness: deviation is a statistical term, illness is not really a scientific term at all.
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 am

Luveria wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:I feel the need to point out that, regardless of what gender truly is, it certainly isn't what the "It's your junk that decides it!" people think.

:hug:
I assume those annoy you to no end too.

To some extent I think they are probably just unaware of what's been done to them. I just get sad.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 am

Noireaux wrote:Stop the liberal bullshit. Your sex is whatever genitals you were born with. Denying that is no more than escapism. As for your sexuality, normally it relates to your genitals. Everything else is an illness. Seriously, let's start calling things the way they actually are, without all them fantasies that make life more convenient for a selected few.

That aside. Here's a fun vid I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWIaejCp88

Such a pity that truth has a liberal bias.

Sex is determined by genitals, sure. But neither gender (which is not related to sex) or sexuality relate to what genitals you have: the fact gender has varied historically demonstrates this. And again, illness is not a scientific definition - and no mainstream medical organization regards non-heterosexuality as a disease.
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 am

Sedikal wrote:Because you feel like what you identify as? So like if you feel like you should have a dick and you have a did your good, if you feel like you should have a dick and look down and you see some vagina then you might want to get that fix up a bit.

Not bad, but it's not always the most ideal advice. Not everyone transgender has a conflict with the genitalia they were born with, and those ones will often have conflict with the rest of their body. That only further shows that genitalia and gender are separate things.
Last edited by Luveria on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 am

I know I'm queer because my culture spends remarkable amounts of time and energy enforcing all the rules about the only two genders it is willing to recognize, and therefore it is very clear to me that neither of those gender roles is remotely appropriate for me.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 am

Valendia wrote:
Noireaux wrote:Precisely, every deviation is a deviation by definition, therefore an illness. Whomever feels uncomfortable with logic is a psychopath. And whomever fabricates or twists studies for liberal causes, or as we like to call it over here "radical tolerance", should go to jail for crimes against rationality.

Deviation does not equate to an illness: deviation is a statistical term, illness is not really a scientific term at all.

Indeed. An IQ of 180 is a significant deviation, and is not a disease. Being 6'6" is a deviation, also not a disease. Having perfect pitch, being able to digest lactose as an adult, having an 'outie' belly button, being left-handed, being able to both produce and smell that weird odor when you pee after eating asparagus...all deviations, all non-diseases.

Whether or not something is a disorder or disease largely depends on whether it impairs the individual's ability to perform what are defined as critical or essential functions. The ability to reflexively experience arousal at the thought of fucking a person of the opposite sex just isn't that important. Sorry, straight people.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:29 am

Bottle wrote:I know I'm queer because my culture spends remarkable amounts of time and energy enforcing all the rules about the only two genders it is willing to recognize, and therefore it is very clear to me that neither of those gender roles is remotely appropriate for me.

You seem to be implying that you cant identify as a man if you aren't completely masculine and visa versa.
How do you know you are queer merely because you aren't masculine/feminine?

Is a masculine female not a real female?
Is she in fact, a male?

I could be misunderstanding you, but that seems to be what you're saying here.
Ostro.MOV

Magnifico Tropico
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magnifico Tropico » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 am

You just know.

/thread
Primarily based off the video game Tropico 4 by Kalypso Media,
minor influences include Tropico 3 and Tropico 5
¡Viva El Presidente! ¡Viva Tropico!
Music fit for any Presidente!
Yorkopolis wrote:Most conspiracy theories are quite a lot of bullshit, quite frankly.
Wisconsin9 wrote:The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a 60-ton armored death machine, or an airstrike.

Need a Name
Senator

Founded: Oct 22, 2012

Postby Need a Name » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 am

Does this really need to be discussed? Isn't it obvious what gender someone is?
I'm a Christian and a Patriot
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -- George S. Patton Jr.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 am

Phocidaea wrote:
Shaggai wrote:From what I've heard, you check if you think you have the right genitals. If they don't match what you think you should have, you're probably trans*.

This.

I consider myself to identify as male because I have male genitalia and do not consider them incongruous with my mental conception of myself.

^^

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Shaggai wrote:From what I've heard, you check if you think you have the right genitals. If they don't match what you think you should have, you're probably trans*.

Right... genitals?

I didn't know those two words could go together. I mean genitals are the weirdest parts of the human body.

Wrong. The weirdest part of the human body is the calf.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 am

This seems to be denying the existing of agendered individuals.
It's one of my chief concerns.
Many people identifying as cisgendered may, in fact, be agendered.
They simply don't notice and/or care about it.

An Agendered person isn't likely to care either way. They won't see a "right" set of genitals, just "My genitals." and would continue to see that even if they suddenly switched.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Verdum
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:46 am

Well, lets see.
I have a dick.
I was not born a female.
I must be a male.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:49 am

Verdum wrote:Well, lets see.
I have a dick.
I was not born a female.
I must be a male.

'lies
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:52 am

Bezombia wrote:
Verdum wrote:Well, lets see.
I have a dick.
I was not born a female.
I must be a male.

'lies

I know.
I have an innie and an outie. But that's not the point.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 am

Verdum wrote:
Bezombia wrote:
'lies

I know.

The point is that just because you were born male doesn't mean you're a male.

Also everyone knows you're a bigenderal

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am

Bezombia wrote:
Verdum wrote:I know.

That's probably the worst try you could make considering what I stand for finds them impure.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am

Verdum wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

That's probably the worst try you could make considering what I stand for finds them impure.

I always forget when I'm talking to a nazi...

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 am

Bezombia wrote:
Verdum wrote:That's probably the worst try you could make considering what I stand for finds them impure.

It's okay, communist scum.
I still wove you.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am

Verdum wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

It's okay, communist scum.
I still wove you.

Thank you, and curse you!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 am

Being male is pretty cool.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 am

Verdum wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

That's kind of a horrible thing to say.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Verdum wrote:That's probably the worst try you could make considering what I stand for finds them impure.

That's kind of a horrible thing to say.

Releign/Verdum is a card carrying Nazi, in case you didn't know...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General