NATION

PASSWORD

How would history be affected if JFK lived

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Demontopia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

How would history be affected if JFK lived

Postby Demontopia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:42 am

Dallas Texas, 1963, a convertible sedan driving in the middle of a enormous motorcade, crowds of thousands cram to get a glimpse of the sedan containing a young man in his 30's, a woman in a pink dress, and a congressman. As the sedan draws near a 6 story book depository, a loud bang fills the air, marking the beginning of one of the most terrifying comments in US history. The young man in the back of the sedan, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, start a wriggling his spine. Unknown to him he has been struck in the spine by a 22.cal Italian rifle with telescopic sights, And here is what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED NEXT. The driver noticed in the car mirror that President Kennedy was acting strange and blood was slowly expand from his back. Realizing what happens he started swerving from lane to lane and floored it straight to Parkland Hospital.there doctors were able to save the President. But what happened next? This is for you to discuss here. :ugeek:
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 am

Civil rights act would have been harder to pass.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 am

The U.S would be better than now?
RP: 34 million

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

Jamjai wrote:The U.S would be better than now?

Nixon still wins in 1968 because LBJ is a bit too soft on the commies.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Demontopia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Demontopia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 am

greed and death wrote:Civil rights act would have been harder to pass.

Actually JFK was a huge supporter of civil rights. Nearly all the Presidents up until JFK were racists.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:50 am

"efdected"

Next Washington
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Next Washington » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:50 am

the fed wouldn't have much power as the dollar still would be printed by the gov, saying "united states note"
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so" - RR
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the very structure of our government." - AG
Factbook Military Statistics
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:51 am

Iirc Kennedy's impeached, Hoover becomes president, soviet nukes in cuba, people fleeing cities makes it really hard to get a decent curry.
Member of Arch's fan club.

Demontopia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Demontopia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am

Next Washington wrote:the fed wouldn't have much power as the dollar still would be printed by the gov, saying "united states note"

Elaborate

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am

Demontopia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Civil rights act would have been harder to pass.

Actually JFK was a huge supporter of civil rights. Nearly all the Presidents up until JFK were racists.

That's his point. His death made the civil rights act pass easier. Cause you don't wanna disrespect a dead president, do you?
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am

Demontopia wrote:Dallas Texas, 1963, a convertible sedan driving in the middle of a enormous motorcade, crowds of thousands cram to get a glimpse of the sedan containing a young man in his 30's, a woman in a pink dress, and a congressman. As the sedan draws near a 6 story book depository, a loud bang fills the air, marking the beginning of one of the most terrifying comments in US history. The young man in the back of the sedan, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, start a wriggling his spine. Unknown to him he has been struck in the spine by a 22.cal Italian rifle with telescopic sights, And here is what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED NEXT. The driver noticed in the car mirror that President Kennedy was acting strange and blood was slowly expand from his back. Realizing what happens he started swerving from lane to lane and floored it straight to Parkland Hospital.there doctors were able to save the President. But what happened next? This is for you to discuss here. :ugeek:

President Kennedy was 46, not "in his 30's." There was no Congress man in the back seat with him and the First Lady. Texas Governor John Connally was in the front seat. The gun was not a "22.cal" rifle, it was a "6.5×52mm Carcano or 6.5×52mm Paraviccini-Carcano is an Italian military 6.5 mm (.268 cal, actually 0.2675 inches) rimless bottle-necked rifle cartridge, developed from 1889 to 1891 and used in the Carcano 1891 rifle and many of its successors. A common synonym in American gun literature is "6.5mm Italian"". And I suspect the President knew perfectly well what had happened to him, in the brief moment he had before losing consciousness. I also doubt the driver could see that "blood was slowly expand from his back" since Kennedy was shot from behind.

Really, if you're going to do alternate history at least get the starting point right.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 am

The great society probably wouldn't have gotten through congress
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:03 am

Norstal wrote:
Demontopia wrote:Actually JFK was a huge supporter of civil rights. Nearly all the Presidents up until JFK were racists.

That's his point. His death made the civil rights act pass easier. Cause you don't wanna disrespect a dead president, do you?

Well that and the fact that LBJ was a very skillful legislative leader. He was both very good at getting people to vote the way he wanted, and had an intimate understanding of how things in congress worked, that quite frankly JFK really didn't have.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

As I don't understand the question ("defected", i.e. changed in some way?) I'm just going to leave this link here (see first para of the Plot Summary for its relevance) and see what I can think up for myself later...

(Hang on. That's a key-slip typo of "effected", isn't it. Which maybe should be "affected", anyway.)
Last edited by Breadknife on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

New Waterford
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waterford » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Forsakia wrote:Iirc Kennedy's impeached, Hoover becomes president, soviet nukes in cuba, people fleeing cities makes it really hard to get a decent curry.

:p
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Now known IC'ly as An Déise.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I think they already explained in an episode of Red Dwarf.

Edit: Damnit, Forsakia beat me to it.
Last edited by Lordieth on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:44 pm

It was a Carcano, firing 6x55mm, one of the many underpowered 6mm turn-of-the-century cartridges adopted by many second-rate armies of the period. Learn to spell and learn to history.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Especially Dirty Hippies
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Especially Dirty Hippies » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:President Kennedy was 46, not "in his 30's." There was no Congress man in the back seat with him and the First Lady. Texas Governor John Connally was in the front seat. The gun was not a "22.cal" rifle, it was a "6.5×52mm Carcano or 6.5×52mm Paraviccini-Carcano is an Italian military 6.5 mm (.268 cal, actually 0.2675 inches) rimless bottle-necked rifle cartridge, developed from 1889 to 1891 and used in the Carcano 1891 rifle and many of its successors. A common synonym in American gun literature is "6.5mm Italian"". And I suspect the President knew perfectly well what had happened to him, in the brief moment he had before losing consciousness. I also doubt the driver could see that "blood was slowly expand from his back" since Kennedy was shot from behind.

Really, if you're going to do alternate history at least get the starting point right.

You know quite a bit about what happened that day...almost as if...

Where were YOU when Kennedy was shot?
In sixteenth-century Europe, the disease of virgins, or green sickness, was seen as a common disorder affecting young unmarried girls. Its symptoms included weakness, dietary disturbance, lack of menstruation and most significantly, a change in skin colour. Understanding of the condition turned puberty and virginity into medical problems, and proposed to cure them by bloodletting, diet, exercise, and marriage. - The Disease of Virgins, a book I saw a promo for while trying to learn how babies are made.

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Especially Dirty Hippies wrote:You know quite a bit about what happened that day...almost as if...

Commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Lebanon gaining independance from France?

I don't know about Farn, but it's what I was doing, in an ante-room of the New World Order headquarters, with all the other truly influential people. ...randomly. Just randomly. For no reason whatsoever. Just forget I mentioned it.
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Moon landing may have been delayed or not happened, or the soviets might have got there first. The assassination was an inspirational catalyst for the national effort to get to the moon. :)

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Hmm "efdected" is that a word?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Especially Dirty Hippies wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:President Kennedy was 46, not "in his 30's." There was no Congress man in the back seat with him and the First Lady. Texas Governor John Connally was in the front seat. The gun was not a "22.cal" rifle, it was a "6.5×52mm Carcano or 6.5×52mm Paraviccini-Carcano is an Italian military 6.5 mm (.268 cal, actually 0.2675 inches) rimless bottle-necked rifle cartridge, developed from 1889 to 1891 and used in the Carcano 1891 rifle and many of its successors. A common synonym in American gun literature is "6.5mm Italian"". And I suspect the President knew perfectly well what had happened to him, in the brief moment he had before losing consciousness. I also doubt the driver could see that "blood was slowly expand from his back" since Kennedy was shot from behind.

You know quite a bit about what happened that day...almost as if...

In 7th grade. I looked up all of that in WIki.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Especially Dirty Hippies
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Especially Dirty Hippies » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Breadknife wrote:
Especially Dirty Hippies wrote:You know quite a bit about what happened that day...almost as if...

Commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Lebanon gaining independance from France?

I don't know about Farn, but it's what I was doing, in an ante-room of the New World Order headquarters, with all the other truly influential people. ...randomly. Just randomly. For no reason whatsoever. Just forget I mentioned it.

Okay...let's look at what we know. Breadknife and Farnhamia are involved in a global conspiracy that involved killing JFK and liberating Lebanon.

Kennedy was Catholic. So were the Templars.

The Templars feature in the game "Assassin's Creed", much of which takes place in Italy.

Which was the kind of rifle used to kill Kennedy...

Someone once told me that Reagan's survival after being shot was a major part of how he was re-elected. Maybe Kennedy surviving would have resulted in him being more like Reagan.

That doesn't make any sense.
In sixteenth-century Europe, the disease of virgins, or green sickness, was seen as a common disorder affecting young unmarried girls. Its symptoms included weakness, dietary disturbance, lack of menstruation and most significantly, a change in skin colour. Understanding of the condition turned puberty and virginity into medical problems, and proposed to cure them by bloodletting, diet, exercise, and marriage. - The Disease of Virgins, a book I saw a promo for while trying to learn how babies are made.

Ricoslavia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ricoslavia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Demontopia wrote:Dallas Texas, 1963, a convertible sedan driving in the middle of a enormous motorcade, crowds of thousands cram to get a glimpse of the sedan containing a young man in his 30's, a woman in a pink dress, and a congressman. As the sedan draws near a 6 story book depository, a loud bang fills the air, marking the beginning of one of the most terrifying comments in US history. The young man in the back of the sedan, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, start a wriggling his spine. Unknown to him he has been struck in the spine by a 22.cal Italian rifle with telescopic sights, And here is what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED NEXT. The driver noticed in the car mirror that President Kennedy was acting strange and blood was slowly expand from his back. Realizing what happens he started swerving from lane to lane and floored it straight to Parkland Hospital.there doctors were able to save the President. But what happened next? This is for you to discuss here. :ugeek:

JFK got shot in the head, i've seen the video
Pro: Democratic-Communist, Wealth
Anti: Dictatorship, Poverty

Find more @ http://www.nstracker.net/ricoslavia

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 pm

As Kennedy had become wary of using military force in conflicts against communism due to the Cuban missile crisis, involvement in Vietnam probably wouldn't have reached the scale it did.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General