NATION

PASSWORD

Fascism: Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Equestrian Territories
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Feb 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Fascism: Good or Bad?

Postby Equestrian Territories » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I recently visited the website of the now-disbanded Fascist Party of America. Fascism is most commonly associated with Nazism, even though the two concepts don't go hand-in-hand. However, there are some neat aspects to the fascist ideology: state before self, regulated (but free) market, healthy nationalist pride, etc.

So, what's everyone's take on the matter? Is fascism a system of oppression or liberation? Could it survive and thrive in a modern nation, or is it doomed to remain a relic of bygone ages? Is it a guiding beacon of what a state could be, or is it an ugly reminder of what it is only a few bad days away from becoming?

User avatar
Ponyfornia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 402
Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ponyfornia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Bad.
The Pan-Slavian Union wrote:Give a shotgun to a Gay, and he'll eventually find some way to mastrubate with it. Give a shotgun to a Russian, and he'll defend his country.

User avatar
The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57959
Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Left Wing Market Anarchist/Mutualist
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

User avatar
Souseiseki
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17894
Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

it's hard to agree on what fascism is but from what we can (radical authoritarianism, glorification of war and violence) it's quite bad yes
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

User avatar
Amuricio
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 64
Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuricio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Not only bad, but very very bad.

User avatar
East Ormania
Diplomat
 
Posts: 746
Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 pm

If one does not mistake Facism with Nazism then it's not tottally a bad thing.
In fact, some ideas of facism, such as more patriotic propagand are so bad.
The Serbian Empire wrote:It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.

Just like communism. It can end up a good thing tough. If the leader is not a genocidal maniac.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

User avatar
Mewtinigrad
Envoy
 
Posts: 350
Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewtinigrad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.
Ayreonia wrote:I just knew nobody would say they like Fox News without serious incentive.

Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
If your name ends with in, time to get out

User avatar
Imperilia
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Oct 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperilia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

"Its the greatest! not only that we get protected daily but with fair wages, a good police force and an excellent military!. were always safe from harm fascism is the Norm!

-Imperilia "Worker" who always smiles as if it was stitched from ear to ear.
Last edited by Imperilia on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Equestrian Territories wrote:I recently visited the website of the now-disbanded Fascist Party of America. Fascism is most commonly associated with Nazism, even though the two concepts don't go hand-in-hand. However, there are some neat aspects to the fascist ideology: state before self, regulated (but free) market, healthy nationalist pride, etc.

So, what's everyone's take on the matter? Is fascism a system of oppression or liberation? Could it survive and thrive in a modern nation, or is it doomed to remain a relic of bygone ages? Is it a guiding beacon of what a state could be, or is it an ugly reminder of what it is only a few bad days away from becoming?

Well its decent if its Peronist.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Mewtinigrad wrote:Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.

Sounds decent to me.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Utceforp
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10008
Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Utceforp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.

Most things that are "good in theory", aren't, and tend to end badly. I'm gonna go with "it's bad" as well.
Signatures are so 2014.

User avatar
New Acardia
Minister
 
Posts: 3226
Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Moralistic Democracy

Postby New Acardia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Evil But honest .
Quotes
Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.
Faith with out works is a dead faith
Evil wins when Good does nothing
My Factbook
I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian
I am a Tea Party Conservative
I am a American National Unionist
I am a Liberal Conservative

User avatar
Shaggai
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9342
Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Imperilia wrote:"Its the greatest! not only that we get protected daily but with fair wages, a good police force and an excellent military!. were always safe from harm fascism is the Norm!

-Imperilia "Worker" who always smiles as if it was stitched from ear to ear.

General is OOC.
If you come into contact with the Shining Trapezohedron, please bring it to me. Or just look into it. Either one is fine.

SEVEN INTO SEVEN INTO SEVEN

The "Who is Salt?" ending of Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name is a link between Fallen London and Cultist Simulator.

User avatar
The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16992
Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

While I admit that fascism is not as bad as nazism and is not necessarily evil.....

We're talking about FASCISM......
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

User avatar
Pandeeria
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15269
Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.

what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21112
Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Fascism is FABULOUS! Especially when you accessorize with leather.

User avatar
Pandeeria
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15269
Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.

what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.


It's pretty authoritarian. And with corporatist traits. Doesn't seem that good to me.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Fascism is FABULOUS! Especially when you accessorize with leather.

Its fabs with leather....See even NFP agrees.


I was thinking Black leather would be the best.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Vazdania wrote:what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.


It's pretty authoritarian. And with corporatist traits. Doesn't seem that good to me.

But you admit its better than _____[insert ideology here]_________?????
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Pandeeria
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15269
Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
It's pretty authoritarian. And with corporatist traits. Doesn't seem that good to me.

But you admit its better than _____[insert ideology here]_________?????


Depends on the inserted ideology. :p

Seems better then other forms of fascism though. But that's not saying much, as I think fascism is amongst the worst of ideologies.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

User avatar
Mewtinigrad
Envoy
 
Posts: 350
Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewtinigrad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Mewtinigrad wrote:Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.

Sounds decent to me.

Image
Ayreonia wrote:I just knew nobody would say they like Fox News without serious incentive.

Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
If your name ends with in, time to get out

User avatar
Imperium Sidhicum
Senator
 
Posts: 4324
Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

History consistently shows that all ideologies ever implemented in practice begin with the best of intents and then sooner or later eventually devolve into cesspools of shit and piss. Power corrupts, I guess... Universally.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

User avatar
Vazdania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19448
Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

History consistently shows that all ideologies ever implemented in practice begin with the best of intents and then sooner or later eventually devolve into cesspools of shit and piss. Power corrupts, I guess... Universally.

Some ideologies (take communism for example) are inherently evil as they place society above the individual.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

User avatar
Utceforp
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10008
Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Utceforp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

History consistently shows that all ideologies ever implemented in practice begin with the best of intents and then sooner or later eventually devolve into cesspools of shit and piss. Power corrupts, I guess... Universally.

Fascism puts a lot of power in the hands of a few people right away, so the corrupting-stuff happens relatively quickly. Hitler was pretty crazy by the end.
Signatures are so 2014.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaaaaa, Estanglia, Greater Loegria, Phoenicaea, Serconas, Thuzbekistan, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads