NATION

PASSWORD

Most Important and Influential River in Human History?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Alleniana wrote:Tigris
Euphrates
Rhine
Danube

Nile
Yangtze
Yellow
Ganges
Indus
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Pacifornia wrote:Threeway tie between the Nile, Euphrates and Mississippi.

Niall is gettin some from issippi while Euphrates is all wet.
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals

Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Tiber river.
Long live Great Leader Kim Il Sung, Dear Leader Kim Jong il and Respected Leader Kim Jong Un! Long live the DPRK!

Jack Holland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Holland » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 pm

The Most Important and Influential River in Human History is the Santa Cruz River
Proud Member of the Liberal Democrats in the NSG Senate; Join Now!

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 pm

People are a bit ignorant of the Indus.

Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Jack Holland wrote:The Most Important and Influential River in Human History is the Santa Cruz River

The santa cruz river is not important
Long live Great Leader Kim Il Sung, Dear Leader Kim Jong il and Respected Leader Kim Jong Un! Long live the DPRK!

Jack Holland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Holland » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un wrote:
Jack Holland wrote:The Most Important and Influential River in Southwestern Native AmericanHuman History is the Santa Cruz River

The santa cruz river is not important

Yes it is, if you read my edit

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm

The Rubicon.

Jack Holland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Holland » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm

But realistically, I think the Euphrates and the Tiger Rivers are the most important since they make up the fertile crescent.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm

I'll go with the Yangtze/Huang He River pair.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

The Susquehanna for being the longest river without commercial boat traffic.

But to be serious, I think the Indus river is the most important river.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Jack Holland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Holland » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

The biggest question though to consider is where did man originate and what river did he originally live by? Whatever river that was, there you go, question answered. However, the problem is, since many disagree with the origin of man, this question can't be unlaterally solved

Aryavartha
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Aryavartha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Neo Prutenia wrote:There's no arguing that China is a monoculture, and has been such for thousands of years. It's the textbook definition of "uninterrupted political continuity", and both the Yangtze and Yellow River are relevant to China only. However, the Chinese civilisation and its values have not gone beyond their immediate neighbourhood, the Sinosphere. It's certainly a great contributor to human history and diversity, but on a global level, it has been outcompeted by other cultures.

India is a rather modern concept, barring a few early attempts to unify the sub-continent. Ashoka's Empire comes to mind. We could talk about a Hindu continuity and oikumene, and a unified Hindu monoculture, but it never achieved any particular success outside of its borders. Again, limited to its immediate neighbourhood. Plus, both Indian rivers run just through two countries each, India and Pakistan for the Indus, and India and Bangladesh for the Ganges. In addition, what do the local differences matter if they never managed to expose themselves and establish politically?

Mesopotamia certainly was a monoculture with shifting political regimes until it, like Egypt, was conquered by foreign political entities. In modern times, those two rivers go through three countries - Turkey, Syria, and Iraq, inc.

The Rhine is relevant to six countries, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Switzerland, and partially Austria and Lichtenstein. That's already more diversity than either of the six rivers mentioned above, and those came in pairs. How about we properly pair up the Rhine with the Danube over the Main? You'd have a connection from the North sea to the Black sea. Perhaps as pairs, the Indus/Ganges, Tigris/Euphrates etc can be candidates for most important/influential, but the Rhine can hold up to them alone.

China is much more diverse than being a 'monoculture'. And India is even more so. what is the point of taking 6 small european countries and saying 6 is better than one giant subcontinental country?

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Jack Holland wrote:The biggest question though to consider is where did man originate and what river did he originally live by? Whatever river that was, there you go, question answered. However, the problem is, since many disagree with the origin of man, this question can't be unlaterally solved

Even if we found the One Original Area, Humanity would have picked up somewhere else had it not been there.

Vessalius
Civilian

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vessalius » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:20 pm

The Syr Darya

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm

On second thoughts, the Indus civilsation was lost wasn't it? Though I consider it a great civilisation, was the Indus influential?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Hetalian Indie Rio de Janeiro wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:They were sedentary, but if they were urban in a meaningful sense, it didn't last. Furthermore, they did not develop strong institutions of specialization and divisions of labor, nor is there any evidence for the existence of a social superstructure in the form of government, administrators, priesthoods, standing militaries, etc. They were ephemeral, and could have developed into a permanent recognizable civilization, but they ultimately disintegrated.

Whatever they were, their collapse was so complete that in a scarce amount of time, around one hundred fifty to two hundred years, none of the present inhabitants of the area knew anything about the people who had built the mounds, or what their civilization was like.

In essence this.

Even more irrelevant than the people on the river valleys of the desert on the Southwestern United States. Or, incredibly, the Tupí tribes.

First, by arguing so vociferously against the US rivers, you both implicitly state that every river cannot be the cradle of civilization. However, you also name the Yellow River, the Tigris & Euphrates, the Indus and the Nile, which simply proves their insignificance, because if you take away any one of them, the cradle of civilization would evolve in the remaining trio. And if we were to assume that Mesopotamia is said cradle, welp, you're still down to two rivers, Tigris and Euphrates, making Nana's point, relevant, and your very own arguments, irrelevant. On top of that, rivers which determine boundaries through conquests, or aid in the migration of people, are important, as it's these rivers that carried Civilization from the cradle, to the rest of the planet. Trotsky stated that something might've evolved out of the Native Civilizations, but they were pwnd. However, wouldn't all of the people living in the cradles have been pwnd by Nazis, much like Native Americans were, perhaps even more grotesquely, had Hitler won? Wouldn't that make rivers contributing to Nazi defeat also, quite important?

The bottom line, is that it's a measure of degree. It's a subjective opinion, and to objectively argue for one river, even if you limit it to just rivers of the cradles, is still ludicrous, as we have Tigris & Euphrates, Nile, Yellow and Indus. That was my point.
Last edited by Shofercia on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Magna Libero wrote:
Nervium wrote:
Rubicon is like that one river, that like that one dude crossed, and he said like, "alea iacta est", and then like became like this ruler, of this like city dude.

Mersey is the namegiver of the Mersey-beat, the music genre of the Beatles.

"That one dude"...Right. Julius Caesar is spinning around in his grave.

Doesn't have a grave...
I've retired from the forums.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I forgot our islands famous Gran River of Añasco. That river proved to the local natives that the Spanish were not divine.

Añasco River was also the famous historical site of the Indian drowning of the Spaniard Diego Salcedo in 1511, proving the Spanish Soldiers were not Gods as had been earlier believed by the Taino Indians. A revolt soon arose being lead by the Taínos Cacique Chayoán and suppressed by Spanish soldiers
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Nervium wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:"That one dude"...Right. Julius Caesar is spinning around in his grave.

Doesn't have a grave...

This Grammar really hurts me.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Etha wrote:
Nervium wrote:
Doesn't have a grave...

You must have very soft and thin skin, one may assume.
I've retired from the forums.

GrandKirche
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GrandKirche » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

In all history totted up I'd say the Nile. The Tigris and Euphrates decline after the key advancers of civilisation move away from it to the Med. The Nile has been important from the Pharoahs through to the 1960s.
Read "A Man For All Seasons". That explains most of what I believe in. Except the Catholic bits.

Outside of here I do lead a rather unusual and colourful life. As a Spinster.

I just want a nice man with a good accent and the manners of a Royal.

British, a really cliché G in LGBTQ gentleman a lot of the time.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Etha wrote:
Nervium wrote:
Doesn't have a grave...

If the case, that is:

You cannot survive, make your time!

Oh, and, also: all your base are belong to us!

Additionally: we need education, like and such as...
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

The Tigris-Euphrates obviously. Mesopotamia, the birth of civilization.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

The River of Loooooovve
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General