NATION

PASSWORD

A Critique of NS Moderation Policy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Verdum wrote:NS would be a lot better if Mod's stopped stealing pieces of peoples souls after they warn them.

That is just a myth.

*looks up and smiles ... and very cold chills run up and down your spine*
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I'll gently note that this is not a thread for discussing whether or not "the white race" is a social construct or not.

Stay on topic, please.

Sorry.

Verdum wrote:NS would be a lot better if Mod's stopped stealing pieces of peoples souls after they warn them.

Hell, you should see what they do to you after you're banned.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Verdum
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:

That is just a myth.

That's what they want you to think ,man! The only place we are safe is...is...in an abandoned mine shaft in Yellow Rock! Yeah, yeah they cant get me there!
*Smeagal laugh/crawl away combo*

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 am

Luveria wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
That just sounds like a popularity contest, which will encourage the concept of rock star mods and election rigging.

And making moderation itself being a popularity contest by catering to the whims of their constituency so they can re-elected next term. For some reason, that doesn't sound like a good system of moderating when properly doing their job results in their voterbase being pissed off at them.

Well, plus we saw how much poll puppeteering happens in meaningless contests like the Sexiest Poster one. Can you imagine how terrible that shit would be if we were electing mods?

Yue-Laou
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yue-Laou » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 am

If anything this forum is over-moderated. Mods should let much more slide.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 am

Yue-Laou wrote:If anything this forum is over-moderated. Mods should let much more slide.

Examples of things being over moderated?
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 am

Yue-Laou wrote:If anything this forum is over-moderated. Mods should let much more slide.

You're not serious, are you? If that would be allowed, this forum would become hell on earth.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 am

oh my god no this would be hell
piss

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 am

Such as?

I find they do allow stuff to slide.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 am

Dakini wrote:
Luveria wrote:And making moderation itself being a popularity contest by catering to the whims of their constituency so they can re-elected next term. For some reason, that doesn't sound like a good system of moderating when properly doing their job results in their voterbase being pissed off at them.

Well, plus we saw how much poll puppeteering happens in meaningless contests like the Sexiest Poster one. Can you imagine how terrible that shit would be if we were electing mods?

Remember Sibirsky's an-cap water army? Yeah, that might happen in mod elections.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:

You're not serious, are you? If that would be allowed, this forum would become hell on earth.

*Legions of Racists, Bigots, Radical Feminists, and other devil spawn flood the forum*

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am

Grenartia wrote:

I went into severe withdrawal during my one-day ban. Never again. :( *shudders*

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Dakini wrote:Well, plus we saw how much poll puppeteering happens in meaningless contests like the Sexiest Poster one. Can you imagine how terrible that shit would be if we were electing mods?

Remember Sibirsky's an-cap water army? Yeah, that might happen in mod elections.

I don't remember that one at all, seems like I missed the whole thing. I'm grateful for that.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

Dakini wrote:
Luveria wrote:And making moderation itself being a popularity contest by catering to the whims of their constituency so they can re-elected next term. For some reason, that doesn't sound like a good system of moderating when properly doing their job results in their voterbase being pissed off at them.

If someone were hellbent on becoming a mod, they could easily set up a legion of dated puppets with passable post histories so they could rig a text-based election too. If people do that kind of sockpuppeteering to advance through the ranks of Wikipedia, it would inevitably happen here too.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

Shaggai wrote:

oh my god no this would be hell

Indeed. It would be a total shithole.

Luveria wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I went into severe withdrawal during my one-day ban. Never again. :( *shudders*

I've had 3. Each one is progressively worse than the last.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 am

Luveria wrote:
Dakini wrote:Well, plus we saw how much poll puppeteering happens in meaningless contests like the Sexiest Poster one. Can you imagine how terrible that shit would be if we were electing mods?

If someone were hellbent on becoming a mod, they could easily set up a legion of dated puppets with passable post histories so they could rig a text-based election too. If people do that kind of sockpuppeteering to advance through the ranks of Wikipedia, it would inevitably happen here too.

Also expect entities from other forums trying to gain a foothold here by means of trickery and manipulation. And it's not as if we need that kind of behaviour in here, unless it's me who's doing said trickery and manipulation.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 am

Grenartia wrote:
Luveria wrote:I went into severe withdrawal during my one-day ban. Never again. :( *shudders*

Morphine withdrawal is less painful.

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Luveria wrote:If someone were hellbent on becoming a mod, they could easily set up a legion of dated puppets with passable post histories so they could rig a text-based election too. If people do that kind of sockpuppeteering to advance through the ranks of Wikipedia, it would inevitably happen here too.

Also expect entities from other forums trying to gain a foothold here by means of trickery and manipulation. And it's not as if we need that kind of behaviour in here, unless it's me who's doing said trickery and manipulation.

I'll recruit a clique of people to puppeteer with me so we can eventually replace the entire mod organization with our people. Then under our leadership this forum will experience a golden age.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Remember Sibirsky's an-cap water army? Yeah, that might happen in mod elections.

I don't remember that one at all, seems like I missed the whole thing. I'm grateful for that.

It's how he got his silver medal debating title.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 am

Luveria wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Hurdegaryp wrote:Also expect entities from other forums trying to gain a foothold here by means of trickery and manipulation. And it's not as if we need that kind of behaviour in here, unless it's me who's doing said trickery and manipulation.

I'll recruit a clique of people to puppeteer with me so we can eventually replace the entire mod organization with our people. Then under our leadership this forum will experience a golden age.

"And all shall love me and despair!"
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 am

Luveria wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Hurdegaryp wrote:Also expect entities from other forums trying to gain a foothold here by means of trickery and manipulation. And it's not as if we need that kind of behaviour in here, unless it's me who's doing said trickery and manipulation.

Luveria as mod...
Sex, sex everywhere.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Luveria wrote:Morphine withdrawal is less painful.

"And all shall love me and despair!"

This is why democracy is a bad idea for mod positions. :p Even if there was enough paranoia to ensure multiple text-votes from the same IP aren't counted, that's not stopping someone from forming political alliances with other posters to get one of them in as a mod.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 am

Verdum wrote:
Luveria wrote:Morphine withdrawal is less painful.

Luveria as mod...
Sex, sex everywhere.

Luveria for mod 2013!
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 am

Lost heros wrote:
Verdum wrote:Luveria as mod...
Sex, sex everywhere.

Luveria for mod 2013!

Psst. Get your people to campaign for me and next mod election I'll get my political machine to endorse you.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 am

Luveria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:"And all shall love me and despair!"

This is why democracy is a bad idea for mod positions. :p Even if there was enough paranoia to ensure multiple text-votes from the same IP aren't counted, that's not stopping someone from forming political alliances with other posters to get one of them in as a mod.

1. Mods are elected.
2. Form alliance and get friends made Mods.
3. Mods begin fighting among themselves, reversing rulings all over the place.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Verdum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

Luveria wrote:
Lost heros wrote:...
Luveria for mod 2013!

Psst. Get your people to campaign for me and next mod election I'll get my political machine to endorse you.

Elections?
Gurl u be fewlish.
Mods aren't really elected; they are part of the system. Well, the first mods were elected. Long ago in a distant time, the creator of NS found a few like-minded people and stole their consciousness...
...then he put them in dat durr computer.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General