NATION

PASSWORD

A Critique of NS Moderation Policy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:57 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Luveria wrote:I've fallen victim to it more than once from how utterly idiotic the Summer Jugend posts can be.

I haven't, but then I have a window open to Moderation and another to the General forum at all times. A real professional of how to contain the out of hand summer crowd.

I should probably have window to Moderation open at all times to remind me to behave.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 am

Luveria wrote:I've fallen victim to it more than once from how utterly idiotic the Summer Jugend posts can be.

I haven't, but then I have a window open to Moderation and another to the General forum at all times. A real professional of how to contain the out of hand summer crowd.

How quaint. The implants are so much better.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Well, go elsewhere and you will see that it's either flaming on 4chan which in reality actually approaches on civil lawsuits if they weren't named anonymous or you'll see far more tyrannical moderation.

Not really. I've been around the net for awhile now, and I've seen plenty of communities that run on the basis of democratically elected staff, and function just fine.

Though admittedly, I tend to hang around small communties. It's atypical for me to be an active member of a forum like this.

The larger it gets, the more wild it gets as the anonymity factor grows in a crowd.
Last edited by The Serbian Empire on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

Free Tristania wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=263933 Racist title. Racist ideas. All aimed against one particular group who gets the blame for everything that has happened to mankind. And where did we hear that before ? 1930s maybe ?

Yes, locking a thread and refusing to open it after several appeals is certainly "letting a racist thread run riot."

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

Free Tristania wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=263933 Racist title. Racist ideas. All aimed against one particular group who gets the blame for everything that has happened to mankind. And where did we hear that before ? 1930s maybe ?

You not understanding the thread =/= the mods having an ideological bias.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 am

Edlichbury wrote:

Yes, locking a thread and refusing to open it after several appeals is certainly "letting a racist thread run riot."

They only dealt with the criticism.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 am

Free Tristania wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:Yes, locking a thread and refusing to open it after several appeals is certainly "letting a racist thread run riot."

You also realize that you missed the point of the thread entirely as it only advocated for eliminating the social construct of the "white race," correct?

Now back on topic, any ideas to ensure consistency in moderation?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 am

Farnhamia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I haven't, but then I have a window open to Moderation and another to the General forum at all times. A real professional of how to contain the out of hand summer crowd.

How quaint. The implants are so much better.

Budget cuts have hit me hard.

Luveria wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I haven't, but then I have a window open to Moderation and another to the General forum at all times. A real professional of how to contain the out of hand summer crowd.

I should probably have window to Moderation open at all times to remind me to behave.

Well that might not be a bad idea. I don't do that during the slow season though.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

Free Tristania wrote:My main critique would be that they are not-neutral and themselves protective of ideologies that suit their own ideas.

They are people. Bias will slip in and that's why there is a process to challenge a mod ruling.

Now if you are claiming that process does not work....then an example would be good.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

Edlichbury wrote:
Free Tristania wrote:They only dealt with the criticism.

You also realize that you missed the point of the thread entirely as it only advocated for eliminating the social construct of the "white race," correct?

Social construct. The term itself is a post-1968 social construct. Invented in a time when everyone was "oppressed" or at least claimed to be and can now just be used to call for the elimination of one particular race. Well I have made my point: I have no real trust in the functioning of the team as it is. Unfortunately.
Last edited by Free Tristania on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Well, go elsewhere and you will see that it's either flaming on 4chan which in reality actually approaches on civil lawsuits if they weren't named anonymous or you'll see far more tyrannical moderation.

Not really. I've been around the net for awhile now, and I've seen plenty of communities that run on the basis of democratically elected staff, and function just fine.

Though admittedly, I tend to hang around small communties. It's atypical for me to be an active member of a forum like this.

And how large where those communities. Do you know who many people frequent this site?

What were the topics of those communities?

The topics here are rather divisive.

Popularity contests aren't a way to get decent moderation for a site like this.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 am

Luveria wrote:I should probably have window to Moderation open at all times to remind me to behave.

Well that might not be a bad idea. I don't do that during the slow season though.

But summer never truly ended, due to climate change.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 am

Free Tristania wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:You also realize that you missed the point of the thread entirely as it only advocated for eliminating the social construct of the "white race," correct?

Social construct. 1. The term itself is a post-1968 social construct. Invented in a time when everyone was "oppressed" or at least claimed to be and 2. can now just be used to call for the elimination of one particular race. 3. Well I have made my point: 4. I have no real trust in the functioning of the team as it is. Unfortunately.

1. :roll: You have no clue how sociology works, do you?

2. Bullshit.

3. What is your point, exactly? That you have no clue what you're talking about?

4. And you have failed to prove that you have any real reasons for that mistrust.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The World Famous Octagon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Famous Octagon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am

Aurora Novus wrote:And your point? That does not even begin to make an argument against what I've said.

You really are not able to see the point in "Hitler was elected democratically"?

Aurora Novus wrote:And yes, tyranny of the majority cannot deny rights. As righs are determined by people, what makes a right a right withi society is whether or not the majority of that society believes in it. If the majority doesn't believe in it, it's not a right.

Yet we see rights having been denied right after Hitler was elected into power.

Aurora Novus wrote:The only time rights can be denied are in situation where the majority believe in a right, but do not have the power to recognize it, because a minority holds power over them. Only minorities can deny rights.

Rights of minorities can and have been denied throughout history through majority decisions.

Aurora Novus wrote:That every member clicked "agree" does not mean they actually agree that it should be that way, nor does it mean thei opoinion may not change at a later date. Agreeing to abide by preexisting rules does not mean you agree with those rules.

Then you shouldn't have joined.

Aurora Novus wrote:I don't ignore your arguments. I address them, and explain to you why they are flawed. Simply put, I'm right, you're wrong. There is a differene, and your refuse to recognize it. This is not a matter of opinion, but of fact.

And I do the same. But I don't need this latter part to back my position up.

Aurora Novus wrote:Justness deals with the feulfillment of societal expectations. Justness deals with the upkeep of rights. As I've explained to you previously, rights cannot be violated by the majority.

If justice is your definition of "best", then by definition, democracy is "the best".

And you'd be wrong, for reasons previously explained and linked.

Aurora Novus wrote:What's your point? That a majority of a society does things you don't like? Okay. Bu they aren't violating rights. Rather, they are denying the existence of those rights within their society. Big difference there.

That depends on what rules society is bound to. Under the circumstances of this forum, clearly not.

Aurora Novus wrote:If you don't like that they don't recognize those right, the solution is to enagge in argument with members of that society, and attempt to change their minds. Not force them to conform to your will by oppressing their ability for self-determination.

Hard to argue with someone that wants you gone, isn't it?

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 am

Grenartia wrote:
Free Tristania wrote:Social construct. 1. The term itself is a post-1968 social construct. Invented in a time when everyone was "oppressed" or at least claimed to be and 2. can now just be used to call for the elimination of one particular race. 3. Well I have made my point: 4. I have no real trust in the functioning of the team as it is. Unfortunately.

2. Bullshit.

3. What is your point, exactly? That you have no clue what you're talking about?

4. And you have failed to prove that you have any real reasons for that mistrust.

1. You can look it up for yourself. It has nothing to do with sociology but all the more with ideology.

2. Proof it.

3. Keep on reading. I have no confidence in them for a good reason as they are not neutral.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:17 am

Free Tristania wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:Yes, locking a thread and refusing to open it after several appeals is certainly "letting a racist thread run riot."

Yes and you could have handled it better. You were warned for trolling.

Parkus isn't a racist. It was a fair question and it looks like you went in to fight.

This site tries to allow for free speech and it seems you wish to define what that means?

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Free Tristania wrote:They only dealt with the criticism.

Yes and you could have handled it better. You were warned for trolling.

Parkus isn't a racist. It was a fair question and it looks like you went in to fight.

This site tries to allow for free speech and it seems you wish to define what that means?

What has racism to do with freedom of speech ?

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 am

You really are not able to see the point in "Hitler was elected democratically"?

Yes, I'm not seeing it. Even if you're trying to draw a parallel to the actions of the Nazis, the fact that Hitler was democractically elected does not help you advance that point. Hitler, after all, abolished democracy in his nation, and therefore the people could not act against him when he began performing some of the atrocious actions we associate him with.

Yet we see rights having been denied right after Hitler was elected into power.

If Hitler did not recognize rights that the majority of the population recognized, we would see a denail of rights, yes.

But if the majority of the population did not believe in them either, no rights were denied. Those rights ceased to exist. Again, rights are not given from on high. They are not intrinsic to the universe. They are man-made.

Then those rights were not being denied. They did not exist in that society.

If there is a society in which the majority of people do not ban murder, and someone commits murder and is not punished, person killed did not have their rights violated. The society does not recognize a right to life to begin with.

You don't seem to understand that for a right to be violated, that society has to accept that right as being a right to begin with. That is why only minorities can violate right. If a majority agrees something isn't a right, it isn't a right.

Then you shouldn't have joined.

Your opinion is your own, but also meaningless.

And I do the same. But I don't need this latter part to back my position up.

You do not do the same. Rather you refuse to recognize reality. Unless you believe rights are intrinsic or handed down to us from on high, you have no grounds to disagree with anything that I'm telling you.

And you'd be wrong, for reasons previously explained and linked.

No, I would not be. Justice is the upholding of rights. Majorities determine what a right is. Ergo, majorites cannot violate rights. Only minorities can violate rights.

That depends on what rules society is bound to.

No, it doesn't. It's a fact of life that pervades all socieites.

Hard to argue with someone that wants you gone, isn't it?

That it may be hard doesn't change reality. And it is for this reason that we need to be encourging intellectualism in our societies.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

Octagon, before we continue, answer this.

Rights are not handed down from on high. They are not intrinsic to life. They are man made, and are determined by the majority of a society. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Caecuser
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 am

Aurora Novus wrote:Octagon, before we continue, answer this.

Rights are not handed down from on high. They are not intrinsic to life. They are man made, and are determined by the majority of a society. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

What about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:26 am

I'll gently note that this is not a thread for discussing whether or not "the white race" is a social construct or not.

Stay on topic, please.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 am

Free Tristania wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

2. Bullshit.

1. You can look it up for yourself. It has nothing to do with sociology but all the more with ideology.

2. Proof it.

3. Keep on reading. I have no confidence in them for a good reason as they are not neutral.

1. I've taken sociology. Its a sociological term. Saying that the term "social construct" has nothing to do with sociology is like saying that the term "spacetime" has nothing to do with cosmology.

2. Its self-evident to anybody who has ever taken a high school sociology course. But if you really think that "social construct" is used for "eliminating a particular race", then read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_construct

3. Nobody is truly neutral. If you're going to bitch and complain about "non-neutrality", then bitch and complain about everybody. Including yourself.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Verdum
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 am

NS would be a lot better if Mod's stopped stealing pieces of peoples souls after they warn them.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 am

Caecuser wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:Octagon, before we continue, answer this.

What about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?

What about it?

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 am

Verdum wrote:NS would be a lot better if Mod's stopped stealing pieces of peoples souls after they warn them.

That is just a myth.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General