NATION

PASSWORD

A Critique of NS Moderation Policy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Taking on the two new mods was a sop.

I kind of resent being likened to a piece of bread or toast that is soaked in liquid food and then eaten.

Well for what it's worth I'm likening you to a high quality brioche...to be dunked in equally high quality coffee ;)

As for the sheepdude...I'm working on that excuse!

More seriously though...my comment was not in anyway to denigrate you or the sheep...however it is clear that your becoming mods, rather than actually addressing any kind of root issues is a sop.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I kind of resent being likened to a piece of bread or toast that is soaked in liquid food and then eaten.

well you did miss the easy set up for a tom lehrer song.

I blame Monday and I wasn't really serious.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The World Famous Octagon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Famous Octagon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

Aurora Novus wrote:Yes, it's number, and that's a very important fact when determining whether or not something is just within a community. Rights do not decend upon us from on high. They are not intrinsic to nature. Rights are man-made. Rights only have meaning if they are agreed upon by a majority of the population. That is why numbers make all the difference. Rights cannot be denied by the majority, because the majority determines what rights even are.

And what keeps that from being a tyranny?

Back to the forum example: If you were kicked out without having broken the rules, because you're were deemed "undesirable" by the majority. And let's say the reverse also happened. This banned user is brought back, because it was what the majority wanted.

Does it really make it the best?

No, it wouldn't.

Because according to the rules of the site, you did nothing wrong. The banned member did.

The "community", here, was against the rules. And such a decision would be unlawful.

I don't suppose I need to explain what this means in national and international politics.

Aurora Novus wrote:Rights can only be denied in a prison setup. When the majority has to bend it's knee to an untouchable minority.

That is the fundamental difference between "tyranny of the majority" and totalitarianism. With the totalitarian model we have now, the community has no way of achieving rights it thinks it should have. That is unjust.

Based on what I just explained, it's very clearly not.

Aurora Novus wrote:I have to be. Because until you understand the difference between the two, we can discuss nothing else. Until you stop spouting this stupid "tyranny of the majority is the same as totalitarianism" line of nonsensical thinking, our discussion can go no further.

Until you understand the concept that majority does not mean absolute power, I don't think I'd be able to explain further.

Aurora Novus wrote:If you're accusing me of not understanding democracy because of what I've said in this thread, I am left with no conclusion other than you must not uderstand democracy yourself. So, yes, you are.

Democracy does not mean tyranny by majority. That is what you must understand. I do.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:I kind of resent being likened to a piece of bread or toast that is soaked in liquid food and then eaten.

Well for what it's worth I'm likening you to a high quality brioche...to be dunked in equally high quality coffee ;)

As for the sheepdude...I'm working on that excuse!

More seriously though...my comment was not in anyway to denigrate you or the sheep...however it is clear that your becoming mods, rather than actually addressing any kind of root issues is a sop.

I know.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 am

Divair wrote:
Taking on the two new mods was a sop.

How to get those meddling kids to shut up:
1. Promote two popular people

Done.

In essence...yes. Although I do happen to think that Farn and Blaat are capable of doing the job right. Question is if they'll be allowed to.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:well you did miss the easy set up for a tom lehrer song.

I blame Monday and I wasn't really serious.

I know right?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am

Divair wrote:How to get those meddling kids to shut up:

Done.

In essence...yes. Although I do happen to think that Farn and Blaat are capable of doing the job right. Question is if they'll be allowed to.

They're great choices. They're just not going to fix the entire forum.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Maybe those agitators should be shown the error of their ways.

I'd rather not rise to the occasion, like the bread did.

I understand. You prefer to let them fail on their own, so that all can see why their banishment was so well-deserved.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Vortukia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Vortukia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am

In my opinion there needs to be a revamp in the rule system. Certain things should be based off the say of the players. People are more inclined to follow rules if they helped make them. Because of the current rules are not well enforced or target players they don't need to be.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am

Divair wrote:

Yep. There's only one person who can do that...

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am

Divair wrote:How to get those meddling kids to shut up:

Done.

THEY probably won't let them.
THEY value the system too much.
THEY have spent too much time building their conspiracy, Farn and Blaat can do nothing against THEM.

*I'm not sure who THEY are.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Caecuser
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am

Vortukia wrote:In my opinion there needs to be a revamp in the rule system. Certain things should be based off the say of the players. People are more inclined to follow rules if they helped make them. Because of the current rules are not well enforced or target players they don't need to be.

Vortukia, players are inclined to follow to the rules regardless of how they're created - if they have any problem with them then they can make a post about it.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 am

Divair wrote:They're great choices. They're just not going to fix the entire forum.

Bob from down the hall?

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

THEY probably won't let them.
THEY value the system too much.
THEY have spent too much time building their conspiracy, Farn and Blaat can do nothing against THEM.

*I'm not sure who THEY are.

Conspiracy :lol:

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 am

If Max Barry and the mods indulged in their natural inclination to be skinhead neo-nazi punks then so be it, one can decide to participate or not.

This isn't a country one is born into, with rights of abode and the need for colorful passports. One can freely join or freely leave.

So while one can voice opinion, and I genuinely think the Mods tend to listen, aside from Blaatie whose job is to bleat but not hear, there''s no inherent need for them to do so.

I do believe that raising issues is important and useful but, to be fair, this whole shebang is laid on for you - and while you might say the community makes the business, the individual can absolutely choose not to take part.

Oddly, given the preference of many a member, it's a benevolent dictatorship not a participatory democracy.

Choose your pill.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am

Divair wrote:

Bob from down the hall?

Is that the name of the janitor?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am

Divair wrote:Bob from down the hall?

Is that the name of the janitor?

Possibly.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am

And what keeps that from being a tyranny?

The majority cannot deny rights, and ergo, is incapable of committing "tyranny" in that sense.

Back to the forum example: If you were kicked out without having broken the rules, because you're were deemed "undesirable" by the majority. And let's say the reverse also happened. This banned user is brought back, because it was what the majority wanted.

Does it really make it the best?

No, it wouldn't.

What do you mean by "best"? I certainly wouldn't agree it would be the wisest decision perhaps, or the most constructive to an intellectual environment. But it would most definitely be the most just.

The "community", here, was against the rules. And such a decision would be unlawful.

The community determines what is lawful and unlawful. A community therefore cannot "break" it's own rules; it changes them.

Based on what I just explained, it's very clearly not.

It has been explained to you very clearly several times now what the difference is. What more do you want me to say? Every time I show you a difference, you just keep saying they're the same. You're close-minded.

Until you understand the concept that majority does not mean absolute power, I don't think I'd be able to explain further.

That statement doesn't even make sense within the context of our discussion. If you're going to try and be snarky, at least be good at it.

Democracy does not mean tyranny by majority. That is what you must understand. I do.

That is, actually, precisely what it means. And it's one of the reaosons why so many people throught history have been fearful of democracies, and instead elect for republics.

Democracy is about the people's will, full stop. That is, by definition, the majority. If you don't like that, maybe you don't like democracy.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 am

Caecuser wrote:
Shaggai wrote:There are a few reason why democracy would not be a good idea here.

1. Puppetspamming and 'for the lulz' candidates.
2. This forum has particular goals. We also agree on the way to achieve those, which is having mods and rules. The job of the mods is to enforce those rules, and sometimes make new ones. They are akin to police officers for he most part. If we only need to choose people to enforce the rules, why do the need to be elected democratically? Yes, they can change the rules, but they also take input as to the rules and usually do not change them without input.
Also, the community i small enough for this sort of thing to work. In national or even local politics, there are generally too many people for selection of trustworthy peopl to work well. On NS, it's small enough that people can generally be known to be reliable. The mods also have less power than most elected officials, as any individual mod cnnot personally alter the rules or try to enforce a differen system.

Democracy? Why on Earth would anybody want to try and implement that on the Internet?

Aurora Novus.
piss

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am

Divair wrote:

Only a purge could do that. And since our moderators actually do not start every day by removing a few dozen accounts and spreading a few hundred warning points to keep everybody on their toes, I guess the forum will continue to do what it unfortunately does best.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Caecuser
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am

Shaggai wrote:
Caecuser wrote:
Democracy? Why on Earth would anybody want to try and implement that on the Internet?

Aurora Novus.

I though I said "Why" not "Who", but that's okay.

Bojikami
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bojikami » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 am

:clap:
Be gay, do crime.
23 year old nonbinary trans woman(She/They), also I'm a Marxist-Leninist.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.33

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am

Caecuser wrote:
Shaggai wrote:Aurora Novus.

I though I said "Why" not "Who", but that's okay.

I misread. I meant ask him.
piss

Caecuser
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am

Bojikami wrote::clap:

Is there a reason for emoticon spamming?

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am

Caecuser wrote:
Bojikami wrote::clap:

Is there a reason for emoticon spamming?

Because it's cool when Sibirsky does it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General