NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Group: Teaching science violates religious freedom

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Marquette of Pacific wrote:
Benuty wrote:
Oh now come on "Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood" were great shows no need to insult them.

He said evolution is a fact and that believing creationism denies reality, LOL!!

Would you care to support your apparent allegation that creationism is real and evolution is not with some actual facts - facts that don't depend on a book of myths that's badly translated and several millenia old?

Oh, and as a point of reality - it's she, not he.

Reading some of your posts, I must conclude that you have to be misrepresenting your true opinion in order to create a controversy and draw people into needless and pointless argument. Either that or you are sublimely and willfully undereducated.
Last edited by Imsogone on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Benuty wrote:
Oh now come on "Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood" were great shows no need to insult them.

He said evolution is a fact and that believing creationism denies reality, LOL!!

Yes. We get it that you find acceptance of reality amusing. You can stop reminding us.

Or, you know, argue your point. But I assume you know that you will be soundly thrashed, which is why you resort to infantilism.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Benuty wrote:

I dunno what's so funny about reality.

I'm also wondering if you mean to make any meaningful contributions to the thread.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Benuty wrote:

Maybe I'm missing a pun or something?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:This post combines total ignorance, a caps lock, and smiley abuse. I hereby award it the NSG Congressional Medal of :palm:

I am truly honored sir, but I abused no smileys. What Anachronous Rex said was legitimately funny. 8)

Now THAT is smiley abuse for you ^

Oh right and there was absolutely zero ignorance in that post.

Of course, somebody who is ignorant of their ignorance would be ignorant of any ignorance in the post.

Benuty wrote:

Both of which are true statements. Occam's razor tells us that the simplest explanation that fits the facts is most likely to be true. Evolution is the simplest explanation that fits the facts, while YEC is overly complex and convoluted, to the point where most of the time anybody claims there's ANY extra-biblical evidence for it, they're either lying through their teeth, mis-measuring something, etc, while all the biblical evidence is circular logic.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Global warning has nothing to do with religion, but then again, it's probably the same sort of people who get upset if you teach kids not to think being molested is normal.

Hm....

No, it's because they don't like Al Gore. We've been over this.

More likely because combating global warming isn't corporate friendly, which must mean it's poor friendly, and Jesus hates poor people.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:25 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, it's because they don't like Al Gore. We've been over this.

More likely because combating global warming isn't corporate friendly, which must mean it's poor friendly, and Jesus hates poor people.

*Yawn* Boring come up with something new for once please.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Benuty wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:More likely because combating global warming isn't corporate friendly, which must mean it's poor friendly, and Jesus hates poor people.

Well it's not like the Messiah can be called at will can he. So be patient, it's the best we've got for now.
Last edited by Seitonjin on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seitonjin Jesangkut

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Benuty wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:More likely because combating global warming isn't corporate friendly, which must mean it's poor friendly, and Jesus hates poor people.

It's not my job to entertain you.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:54 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Benuty wrote:*Yawn* Boring come up with something new for once please.

It's not my job to entertain you.

Says the person with a cross dressing kumquat holding an umbrella for a flag.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Cant Kansas, I don't know...succeed...I'm really starting to feel ashamed have that place in the US.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

You want your child to be taught Christian beliefs? Then send them to a Christian school instead of Public.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Spartan Philidelphia wrote:What the hell does global warming have to do with religious freedom or creationism?

Because environmentalism calls into question our divine right to do whatever the hell we want with this planet and everything on it. :p If it was important God would have put it in the Bible.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Hornesia wrote:You want your child to be taught Christian beliefs? Then send them to a Christian school instead of Public.

This shouldn't be allowed tbh and I'm saying this as a theist. Sending children to faith schools is tantamount to indoctrination.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Spartan Philidelphia wrote:What the hell does global warming have to do with religious freedom or creationism?

Because environmentalism calls into question our divine right to do whatever the hell we want with this planet and everything on it. :p If it was important God would have put it in the Bible.

Or that argument's cousin, "Only God has the power to change the conditions on Earth, not humans.".

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Hornesia wrote:You want your child to be taught Christian beliefs? Then send them to a Christian school instead of Public.

This shouldn't be allowed tbh and I'm saying this as a theist. Sending children to faith schools is tantamount to indoctrination.

Good point. Sorry about my stupid post.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:03 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Cant Kansas, I don't know...succeed...I'm really starting to feel ashamed have that place in the US.

Kansas isn't really succeeding at all, but yeah, pretty much all of the Bible Belt seceding would be an overall gain for 'Murica.
Signatures are so 2014.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Starkiller101 wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:It's not called the theory of evolution.
There's evolution, and there's the (scientific) theory of evolution by natural selection.
Evolution is still a bunch of BS

Tell that to drug resistant bacteria. Translation: you lose
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Natair wrote:
Mewtinigrad wrote:Its hysterical how often people confuse the conventional and scientific definitions of "theory".

The people aren't sure so it is actually considered a theory and unless concrete proof one way or the other is found it will remain a theory.

I paid attention in class.

The scientific method, heard of it? wash, rinse, repeat and continue. If you're able to replicate it over and over it's a little more concrete than Maybe God and Baby Jesus did it. And I'm a Christian.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Benuty wrote:

I have a question for you - how the fuck is evolution not real?

Given the existence of self-replicating organisms whose genetic code goes through random transcription errors (mutations) with each replication, and the effects of those mutations, some harmful and some beneficial, on the organism, how the fuck would the organisms with the beneficial mutations not outlast and out-breed the organisms with the harmful mutations?

Because that's evolution in a nutshell.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

The Waking Dreams Foundation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Waking Dreams Foundation » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

I have a question for you - how the fuck is evolution not real?

Given the existence of self-replicating organisms whose genetic code goes through random transcription errors (mutations) with each replication, and the effects of those mutations, some harmful and some beneficial, on the organism, how the fuck would the organisms with the beneficial mutations not outlast and out-breed the organisms with the harmful mutations?

Because that's evolution in a nutshell.

The leprechauns prevent it.

Seriously, though, evolution is a mathematical inevitability unless something actively suppresses it. And since experiments have conclusively shown that it isn't being suppressed, either the leprechauns are personally doing it or math is.
A puppet of Shaggai.
Soon to be my IC nation whenever I figure out what the hell it is.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Creationism is a belief, evolution is a fact. Teaching evolution doesn't deny anybody anything. Teaching creationism denies reality.

OK SUUUURE :rofl:

Instead of just going "nu-uh" and laughing at us, why don't you actually, y'know, provide an argument? Even one of those illogical, circular-reasoning based "arguments" that you YECs are so fond of would be better than what you've provided so far.
Signatures are so 2014.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Myrensis wrote:

They're seriously sciencephobic. http://www.policymic.com/articles/58295/5-reasons-conservatives-don-t-believe-climate-change-is-our-fault
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I agree with this article completely. It only makes sense that teachers should only teach things that are irrefutable. So, we could follow the logical steps and not teach anything at all! Wow, think of all the money that would save.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 pm

What does global warming have to do with religious freedom???

And I personally think creationism should not be taught in schools (note, this is coming from a devout Christian). The state and religion should always remain separated.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General