NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Group: Teaching science violates religious freedom

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 am

Farnhamia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Ah, yes, The Revisionaries covers the Texas School Board.

I love it how nutritionists and chemical engineers are passing judgement on evolution. Funny how you don't seem to get very many biologists of any stripe doing that.

Whatchou talkin' 'bout.

Nutritionists are scientist-esque. :lol:

You would think they would shun these experts as elitist ivory-tower Asperger atheists, but those Texans are modernizing.

It's embarrassing and it annoys me.

Don't nutritionists and chemical engineers have Codes of Ethics that tell them not to go outside of their true expertise because it would be a disservice not only to their profession, but to the public as well?

I'm a Pre-Social Work major, you don't see me running for the local school board on a damn social engineering platform.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:35 am

Farnhamia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Evolution isn't entirely irrefutable.

It makes sense and it has evidence backing it up, and that's why it's what is taught.

Alternatives otherwise offered have just never measured up to it's standard.

Usually because the people who present it have ulterior motives besides the expansion of knowledge.

I'm not sure that "Certain key elements of living cells are so complex that they can only have been designed and put in place by an external actor with sufficient power to do so" represents an "expansion of knowledge."

I'm not sure how that can be deemed sensible. Even though believers maintain the "omni-ness" of deity the fact that it can be conceptualized is by definition limiting. If you can put it in a box, it's not infinite and not omnipresent, not omniscient, not omnipotent. Since Christians have put these limits on their deity and he(sic) perforce has permitted this, then clearly his intellect is not sufficient to put a hole in a donut. Only limitless complexity can maintain complexity and evolution answeres this.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I'm not sure that "Certain key elements of living cells are so complex that they can only have been designed and put in place by an external actor with sufficient power to do so" represents an "expansion of knowledge."

I'm not sure how that can be deemed sensible. Even though believers maintain the "omni-ness" of deity the fact that it can be conceptualized is by definition limiting. If you can put it in a box, it's not infinite and not omnipresent, not omniscient, not omnipotent. Since Christians have put these limits on their deity and he(sic) perforce has permitted this, then clearly his intellect is not sufficient to put a hole in a donut. Only limitless complexity can maintain complexity and evolution answeres this.

I don't think any Christian claims to fully understand God. What you're saying is equivalent to saying that all politicians understand economics: most understand a little bit, but mostly the follow what other people tell them.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Imsogone wrote:

I don't think any Christian claims to fully understand God. What you're saying is equivalent to saying that all politicians understand economics: most understand a little bit, but mostly the follow what other people tell them.

I'm not sure how your drawing your politician analogy from this (especially since we're all pretty sure that most politicians don't understand squat about much of anything, especially what they say they believe). I was making the point, not at all subtly I thought, that the deity people worship is an invention of the people worshipping him/her/it/(them) - an invention designed pretty much to mirror their own prejudices. As to the existence of an actual deity, independent of the boxes people create for him/her/etc., that's really a moot point and not really relevent. What is relevent is that these Peckans are attempting to impose their invented deity's biases on the rest of the people in their state in the spurious guise of freedom of religion.
Last edited by Imsogone on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I love it how nutritionists and chemical engineers are passing judgement on evolution. Funny how you don't seem to get very many biologists of any stripe doing that.

Whatchou talkin' 'bout.

You would think they would shun these experts as elitist ivory-tower Asperger atheists, but those Texans are modernizing.

Don't nutritionists and chemical engineers have Codes of Ethics that tell them not to go outside of their true expertise because it would be a disservice not only to their profession, but to the public as well?

I'm a Pre-Social Work major, you don't see me running for the local school board on a damn social engineering platform.

I feel I should point something out about the word 'nutritionist'.
Some use the terms "dietitian" and "nutritionist" as basically interchangeable.[1] However in many countries and jurisdictions, the title "nutritionist" is not subject to professional regulation; any person may call themselves a nutrition expert even if they are wholly self-taught.[2] In most US states, parts of Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom, the term nutritionist is not legally protected, whereas the title of dietitian can be used only by those who have met specified professional requirements. One career counselor attempting to describe the difference between the two professions to Canadian students suggested "all dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians."[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionist
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:48 pm

The suit will be dismissed calm down people.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:55 pm

greed and death wrote:The suit will be dismissed calm down people.

Of course it will. But who doesn't love an argument? Blood pressure raised, adrenalin flowing, dudgeon high. It's all fun, except when it's not.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:02 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I love it how nutritionists and chemical engineers are passing judgement on evolution. Funny how you don't seem to get very many biologists of any stripe doing that.

Whatchou talkin' 'bout.

It doesn't really matter to Creationists. They'd throw someone with a degree in Political Science out there as a 'scientist' who disagrees with Evolution and Climate Change. :p Really anybody with some kind of higher education, regardless of field. I'm pretty sure I saw one presentation from the Discovery Institute with a lawyer rambling on about how flawed and wrong evolution is. :blink:

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:36 pm

I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Myrensis wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Whatchou talkin' 'bout.

It doesn't really matter to Creationists. They'd throw someone with a degree in Political Science out there as a 'scientist' who disagrees with Evolution and Climate Change. :p Really anybody with some kind of higher education, regardless of field. I'm pretty sure I saw one presentation from the Discovery Institute with a lawyer rambling on about how flawed and wrong evolution is. :blink:

I have a BSc. ... in Business. That means I qualify as a scientist by these standards.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Why so I live in this godforsaken country?

And why are these people given the power to decide what will be in our science books?
Why?
Forever a Communist

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Blasveck wrote:

And why are these people given the power to decide what will be in our science books?
Why?

Basically, because Texas is such a large state, so textbook producers have to make lots of textbooks for it, they will sell the Texas textbooks all across the country.

Science education in this country is a fucking travesty.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Why?

And it's not just science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/educa ... texas.html

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:51 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Why?

And it's not just science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/educa ... texas.html

That is... beyond idiotic.

I had a Christian fundamentalist, creationist, 8th grade history teacher who spent more time attempting to indoctrinate us than actually teaching, and I hardly learned anything that year. Subjecting students to that for their whole educaitonal career would be mind-numbingly stupid.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Why?

Shame, religious's got no place in public schooling.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Menassa wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Why?

Shame, religious's got no place in public schooling.

Sure it does.

Give the kids a religious studies class or something.

Religion has no place in the Science classroom.
Forever a Communist

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

I have a BSc. ... in Business. That means I qualify as a scientist by these standards.

I have a BA in theatre. Maybe I should run for Texas school board. I'm as qualified as any of these jokers.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Tatooene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tatooene » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:01 pm

As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US. My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact. And there should be at least a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism, since a fairly large minority still believe in it. Even if they don't believe in creationism, it would still be beneficial to students to learn what a good number of others believe.
Just your basic wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Pro: Bacon, Pittsburgh Steelers, 80's Music, Star Wars.
Anti: Salad, Denver Broncos, One Direction, Justin Bieber, The "Brony" fad.
Yes, I know that it's spelled "Tatooine" and not "Tatooene," but the correct spelling was already taken, so don't bug me about it.

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Menassa wrote:Shame, religious's got no place in public schooling.

Sure it does.

I agree. Poeple must at least have basic knowledge on major religions.

But applying it to science is heresy upon the faith I believe and utter nonesense.
Seitonjin Jesangkut

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Menassa wrote:Shame, religious's got no place in public schooling.

Sure it does.

As an elective maybe.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Tatooene wrote:As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US. My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact. And there should be at least a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism, since a fairly large minority still believe in it. Even if they don't believe in creationism, it would still be beneficial to students to learn what a good number of others believe.

Then why not teach kids the hundreds of other creation stories? These are public schools in a secular nation, and we should be teaching kids things that have nearly been proven, and have concrete evidence instead of what some religious text says.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Tatooene wrote:As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US.My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact. And there should be at least a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism, since a fairly large minority still believe in it. Even if they don't believe in creationism, it would still be beneficial to students to learn what a good number of others believe.

1. Learn the definition of scientific theory, please.
2. Evolution is a fact. It happens. You can't stop it from happening.
3. I don't care what the minority believes. The minority is wrong.
Last edited by Blasveck on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever a Communist

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm

As a Kansan high school student, I will say that this saddens me, but doesn't shock me.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Tatooene wrote:As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US. My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact.

You know, I feel like science teachers should spend a fair bit of time explaining what it means when we talk about theories in science. Granted, evolution is a fact as well as a theory (it is a fact that things evolve, but there is a theory to explain how it happens).

It would certainly be a much better use of class time than...

...a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism...

...and other non-scientific nonsense.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Tatooene wrote:As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US. My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact. And there should be at least a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism, since a fairly large minority still believe in it. Even if they don't believe in creationism, it would still be beneficial to students to learn what a good number of others believe.

I think that you aren't really familiar with evolution or science in general, and so should probably not speak on the matter.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General