NATION

PASSWORD

Should There Be a Christian Nation, Like Israel?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Siaos wrote:
Menassa wrote:I'm no geography major, but I don't think Georgia's in the middle east brother. ;)

No, it's on the coast of the Black Sea, in an area I would say is still Middle East.

Unless you're talking about the state Georgia, I'm talking about the country.

Wiki disagrees, stopping short of including the Caucusus region.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:44 pm

My view, as a practicing Christian is...

No.

"Go out unto the world and preach the Gospel."

Isolating ourselves for no reason is, well, pointless.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:44 pm

How about no?

Everywhere should be for everyone.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:My view, as a practicing Christian is...

No.

Wouldn't it be easier to preach if there was a centralized place in which the preachers can come from?

(I'm only making it worse for myself)
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Siaos wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Azerbaijan and Armenia are perfectly tame in that regard too.

Both of those countries aren't tolerant of gays much at all, but as far as law is concerned, they're a better place for LGBT people than Russia.

Most of that area seems much more ahead than the rest of the Middle East, probably due to its previous inclusion in the Soviet Union.

Not only that, but the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918-1920) was the first secular independent country in the Muslim world, even beating Turkey to it.

There's a strong tradition of secularism in the South Caucasus. There's a ton of other issues, but religion doesn't usually play a role in actual government.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm

The Lupercal Imperium wrote:
Menassa wrote:In terms of preaching the Gospel?
No. I am Saying that Sint Paul said there is no difference between Greek or Hebrew, no difference between slave pr free. We are all God's children and we are all sinners. A hetrosexual that cheats on his wife is no better or no worse than other sins I can think of. There is no biggy sin-according to the Bible the right judgement by God is DEATH; in other words, I beleive, total and absolute destruction of the person. I get so sick of people that replace THEIR JUGMENTS from GOD'S JUDGEMENT. Like, whyh don't churches have sermons against hetrosexual couples that divorce for any other reason but divorce? I'll tell you why; because a lot of them are divorced!! It makes me sick when they make homosexuality seem so uber evil.

You really only needed the first sentence to answer my question, but I appreciate your tangent.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:The Vatican was not pacifist back when it had military puissance (the Papal States). It can't really do much now.

"Puissance"?

La-ti-dah.

In memory of Fass.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Siaos wrote:No, it's on the coast of the Black Sea, in an area I would say is still Middle East.

Unless you're talking about the state Georgia, I'm talking about the country.

Wiki disagrees, stopping short of including the Caucusus region.

Well, you learn something new everyday.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Need a Name
Senator

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Need a Name » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 pm

No.

The nation could be a staging ground for a massive missionary organization.
I'm a Christian and a Patriot
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -- George S. Patton Jr.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Theocracies are bad m'kay.
Besides there already is a 'Christian Nation'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_city

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

The Lupercal Imperium wrote:I have been hearing what has been happening to Christians in other nations ( the Middle East, for example) and I have been refledcting that perhaps it might be possible for a Christian only nation. The reason that I write this is because I am Christian, and allthough I politely disagree with people of other religions and they politely disagree with me, it seems like Christians are gettinbg killed a lot in the Middle East. I was just thinking it would save a lot of lives if we had a nation sort of like Israel, where any Christian could fly in if they were being persecuted. Of course, I understand the horror of the Holocaust and the impact it had on Jewish communities, so I'm not trying to compare the two. Still, do you think it is a good idea or a bad idea? Why?

It's a good idea. And it exists.

The Vatican is real.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Need a name wrote:

No.

Like Utah?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Need a name wrote:

Like Utah?

Oh dear god...

Need a Name
Senator

Postby Need a Name » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Need a name wrote:

Like Utah?

Utah isn't fully Christian though.
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The Lupercal Imperium wrote:I have been hearing what has been happening to Christians in other nations ( the Middle East, for example) and I have been refledcting that perhaps it might be possible for a Christian only nation. The reason that I write this is because I am Christian, and allthough I politely disagree with people of other religions and they politely disagree with me, it seems like Christians are gettinbg killed a lot in the Middle East. I was just thinking it would save a lot of lives if we had a nation sort of like Israel, where any Christian could fly in if they were being persecuted. Of course, I understand the horror of the Holocaust and the impact it had on Jewish communities, so I'm not trying to compare the two. Still, do you think it is a good idea or a bad idea? Why?

It's a good idea. And it exists.

The Vatican is real.

Hah, nothing's real.

Someone needs to spend more time on the internet.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Genivaria wrote:Theocracies are bad m'kay.
[....]

The majority of them are, yes.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Need a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Like Utah?

It's close enough for government work. Besides, you need a few tokens of other creeds to make sure people leave you alone.

Timothia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Sure, we could put it where Christianity originated ... oh, wait ... dang.

Christians who are being persecuted can come to the US. Religious persecution is grounds for granting asylum. No need to bother those peaceful folks in the Middle East.

There you go, end of debate. C'mon, Middle East, give us your huddled masses!
The only unofficial person in the room still wearing a monocle. ಠ_ರೃ

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Need a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Like Utah?

Doesn't it have a majority of Xenu-worshippers?

Need a Name
Senator

Postby Need a Name » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Need a name wrote:

It's close enough for government work. Besides, you need a few tokens of other creeds to make sure people leave you alone.

Hmm, I just realized that a Christian nation would be wiped of the map. Considering we're supposed to be pacifists.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Need a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's close enough for government work. Besides, you need a few tokens of other creeds to make sure people leave you alone.

Hmm, I just realized that a Christian nation would be wiped of the map. Considering we're supposed to be pacifists.

Depending on which verses you adhere to I suppose.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Need a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's close enough for government work. Besides, you need a few tokens of other creeds to make sure people leave you alone.

Not since you took over the Roman Empire.

Need a Name
Senator

Postby Need a Name » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Need a name wrote:

Depending on which verses you adhere to I suppose.

Jesus was pretty big on not doing anything that might harm others.

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Christianity runs on adversity and on the diversity of its members. And besides, for the time being, I don't think a Christian nation is really necessary.
I'm a Christian and an avid Star Wars fan!!!
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Member of Transversal Red Cross and Western Coalition. IATA Member
Political compass-
Economic left/right: -3.25
Social libertarian/authoritarianism: 0.0

“We know nothing of religion here: we only think of Christ.” -C.S. Lewis.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Need a name wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Depending on which verses you adhere to I suppose.

Jesus was pretty big on not doing anything that might harm others.

He was also pretty big on throwing the money changers out of the temple forcibly.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General