NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown? Not any more!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who To Blame?

Obama
12%
House Republicans
46%
House Democrats
4%
Senate Republicans
6%
Senate Democrats
8%
Speaker Boehner
24%

Total votes : 517

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Nalt wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:
Again, Congressional Staff are not exempt from Obamacare. Moreover, everything the GOP offered either included defunding the entire program or delaying the Individual Mandate both which are damaging to the overall bill.

You know exactly what I mean by exemption, but I digress.
Again, you are listening to the wrong republicans. Democrats need to get 18 out of 232 to agree to deal to avoid this mess.

If you wanted to get 200 republicans on board, yep, you'd probably have to defund the program or delay the individual mandate. But again, there are 200 democrats in the house and 232 Republicans. You have to find 18.

No I don't know what you mean by exemptions then. Thus, explain directly what exemptions do they get.

John Bohner won't bring anything up unless it has a majority of the majority, if you just want a plain cross over vote there is already enough Republicans willing to support a Clean CR bill.
Last edited by Revolutopia on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Benuty wrote:The US really needs to implement a mental health check when people run for political office. This whole scandal rings of severe Psychosis mixed in with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Or require that anyone who wants to run for congress or presidency hold at least a bachelor's in political science or constitutional law, and not simply have a informal education of "making shit up" like the Blue Meth Republicans seem to bank on.

I am curious what part of the Constitution says the house must pass the budget?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Or require that anyone who wants to run for congress or presidency hold at least a bachelor's in political science or constitutional law, and not simply have a informal education of "making shit up" like the Blue Meth Republicans seem to bank on.

Because more rich congresspeople is obviously the solution.
What, do you WANT more Republicans winning elections?

I don't recall the US financial situation of its citizens being That bad. Mind you I know it is somewhat off kilter from pre-2007 levels but it cannot possibly be that bad.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Ok so how about piecemeal funding the GOP is offering ?
Happy ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
Nalt wrote:You know exactly what I mean by exemption, but I digress.
Again, you are listening to the wrong republicans. Democrats need to get 18 out of 232 to agree to deal to avoid this mess.

If you wanted to get 200 republicans on board, yep, you'd probably have to defund the program or delay the individual mandate. But again, there are 200 democrats in the house and 232 Republicans. You have to find 18.

No I don't know what you mean by exemptions then. Thus, explain directly what exemptions do they get.

John Boner Bohner won't bring anything up unless it has a majority of the majority, if you just want a plain cross over vote there is already enough Republicans willing to support a Clean CR bill.

Just because you strike out the rude nickname does make any less trolling. Stop it.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:59 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
You forgot to mention all the things they expected with that.....

Yeah they were taking money from another program within the ACA, lets see on the government website.
http://energycommerce.house.gov/fact-sh ... ct-hr-1549

The pet neutering campaign, the campaign to make a soda tax, funding spent advertising the exchanges.

Oh so you are pulling from the delusions of the republicans.

Socialbiology posted it first.

Sociobiology wrote:because it also included a one year delay on implementing healthcare, a new oil pipeline, and allow business to refuse to offer coverage for birth control.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Benuty wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Because more rich congresspeople is obviously the solution.

I don't recall the US financial situation of its citizens being That bad. Mind you I know it is somewhat off kilter from pre-2007 levels but it cannot possibly be that bad.

it really is
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Heltonia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Heltonia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm

*Sigh* Americans. Theyd rather start a war than provide healthcare for itself.

And you're all so ignorantly proud of it too.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Benuty wrote:I don't recall the US financial situation of its citizens being That bad. Mind you I know it is somewhat off kilter from pre-2007 levels but it cannot possibly be that bad.

it really is

Invert it and it reminds me of Sweden. :)

Waygook
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Waygook » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:...

I may be wrong here, but haven't Democrats had the majority (even great majority) of both House and Senate (and Presidential cabinet since '08) for most of the past decade, going back to some of Bush's years as well? Democrats are not immune to criticism here over this gridlock and childish behavior going on in Washington.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm

greed and death wrote:Ok so how about piecemeal funding the GOP is offering ?
Happy ?

I wonder how many things they don't like will get funding?
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yeah they were taking money from another program within the ACA, lets see on the government website.
http://energycommerce.house.gov/fact-sh ... ct-hr-1549

The pet neutering campaign, the campaign to make a soda tax, funding spent advertising the exchanges.

Sociobiology wrote:because it also included a one year delay on implementing healthcare, a new oil pipeline, and allow business to refuse to offer coverage for birth control.

you want to help sick people you got to give us something we want.

Though the supreme court is likely to take the birth control compromise away so I suggest you hurry and get something with that.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Nalt wrote:You're listening to the wrong republicans. Were there several that said that? Oh, for sure, or as I said earlier "youbetcha." :P But, when the Bush admin needed something from congress do you think they checked to see how Dennis Kucinich felt about the matter? No. Fuck Rand Paul, fuck Ted Cruz, in all likelyhood ignore Boehner. You only need about 10% of the house republicans to agree to a deal to pass it. There are 200 democrats in the house and 232 Republicans. ... There are 200 democrats in the house and 232 Republicans. You are making this out to be far more difficult than it is. Put on some big boy pants and read about how people used to lead this nation.

He didn't need to "break" anything. Reid chose to break things. But he could have tried to reach a deal that took out the medical device tax. He could have tried to reach a deal that took away the exemption for congress staffers. He could have tried for a number of small deals that left ACA fine and dandy and paid the bills. He didn't want to. He didn't want to compromise because that is what he thought would help the democrats in the polls.

No, he couldn't have. There was an attempted "moderate revolt" to prevent the shutdown, it failed. And no amount of tit for dat from the Democrats would have changed that, the Tea Partiers want Obamacare dead and gone, and the rest of the Party is terrified of being primaried as a 'liberal traitor' if they deviate from that line. The break will only come when the Republicans reach the point that they are in danger of losing elections due to Tea Party insanity regardless. So I'm guessing before the debt ceiling comes up.

While you're trying to hold up those big boy pants, why don't you point me to all the cases of Democrats being forced to filibuster their own bills, or kill their own toxic budgets, or going on national television and declaring obstructing the Republicans to be their one and only priority in Congress? I mean holy shit, the Democrats hated Bush, he was only the 4th President in our history to lose the popular vote and win by Electoral College, and that by Supreme Court ruling no less...and yet they still worked with him. Republicans have been screaming and digging in their heels since the day Obama was elected, the first time.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Waygook wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:...

I may be wrong here, but haven't Democrats had the majority (even great majority) of both House and Senate (and Presidential cabinet since '08) for most of the past decade, going back to some of Bush's years as well? Democrats are not immune to criticism here over this gridlock and childish behavior going on in Washington.

except it was the republican controlled house that failed to pass a budget.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Heltonia wrote:*Sigh* Americans. Theyd rather start a war than provide healthcare for itself.

And the sweeping generalization award goes to.......

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Heltonia wrote:*Sigh* Americans. Theyd rather start a war than provide healthcare for itself.

Could this be anymore generalized?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Yep deal with it.
Barack Obama

Heltonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heltonia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Luveria wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:it really is

Invert it and it reminds me of Sweden. :)

Yes, instead of government bailouts and CORPORATE welfare, they spend their money on important shit like Education and Healthcare.

This is why Sweden is ranked 5th happiest nation in the world.
IF money can buy you happiness, Swedens got it down in spades.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Though the supreme court is likely to take the birth control compromise away so I suggest you hurry and get something with that.

Indeed. Massive tax increases seem fair for all the massive wealth increases granted by shrubco.

How's that for you?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Though the supreme court is likely to take the birth control compromise so I suggest you hurry and get something with that.

like giving up covering sick people?
because that is what the delay is for to give them more opportunities to vote to repeal it, and of course to make it start after the next election so they can continue to say it is evil.

Nalt
Attaché

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nalt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
Nalt wrote:You know exactly what I mean by exemption, but I digress.

John Boner Bohner won't bring anything up unless it has a majority of the majority, if you just want a plain cross over vote there is already enough Republicans willing to support a Clean CR bill.

Are they exempt? No. But that's what the term has come to be so that is what I used. They, however, do get a better health deal than other federal employees.

Now we do need to address a bit of a pivot here, what is currently happening is I pointed out Harry Reid needed 18 of 232 republicans and could have reached a deal without defunding ACA or delaying the mandate. Because 18 of the most moderate republicans could be convinced with much less than that. Honestly, you could get 18 by doing the key stone pipeline and ignoring healthcare altogether. But now suddenly this is a thread about ACA and we need to debate congressional staffer insurance. No. Let's talk about why Harry Reid could not find ANYTHING that could get 18 of 232 house republicans to accept a deal.

We won't talk about that of course, because clearly he could have. Key Stone is actually a really good idea, I am going to write my congressman an email right now. But anyway, we won't talk about that in this thread because it is very clear a deal could have been made but wasn't because Reid and the Democrats want this shutdown. And that will never be debated here in NSG.
Nalt
Member of the Glorious Magisterium of The East Pacific,
Behold the Sovereign East!

Heltonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heltonia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:04 pm

greed and death wrote:

Yep deal with it.

Not even mad.

Its entertaining to watch the blunderfuck though. It explains why Americans love watching themselves via "reality tv".

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Waygook wrote:

except it was the republican controlled house that failed to pass a budget.

They have passed several budgets the senate has also passed a budget several times.

The budgets just have not matched yet.
Barack Obama

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Though the supreme court is likely to take the birth control compromise so I suggest you hurry and get something with that.

like giving up covering sick people?
because that is what the delay is for to give them more opportunities to vote to repeal it, and of course to make it start after the next election so they can continue to say it is evil.

You big silly. We just need to trust the free market as it will cover everybody!

They are interested in the delay so they can have that for the elections. Repubs are worried that if people start getting coverage they might start liking it and they loose a talking point.

The Tundra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 pm

greed and death wrote:Ok so how about piecemeal funding the GOP is offering ?
Happy ?

i'm still not getting paid, so no, i'm not happy with it and its just ignoring the real issues
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.
Conservative Conservationists wrote:Too many puns and bad media lines
Must... Stop.... Self....

Stuff it

Despite anal probe, no crack found by police
Anal probe was shitty
Implements inserted for a crap reason
Man seeking a rears for police brutality
Man sues asses for penetrating his own
Police demand to spread went too far
Long arm of law goes inside
Lesson: Only stick it up there with permission.

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General