NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown? Not any more!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who To Blame?

Obama
12%
House Republicans
46%
House Democrats
4%
Senate Republicans
6%
Senate Democrats
8%
Speaker Boehner
24%

Total votes : 517

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 am

All I can really see this as is a political stunt to turn America's opinion of Obamacare even further south which is backfiring horribly for Republicans in office, because the public already views them are ridiculous cunts.
password scrambled

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Belmaria wrote:Coverage until I'm 26 will cause my premiums to go up.

Prove it.

Will extension of coverage not cause the cost to provide said coverage to increase?
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:02 am

Condunum wrote:All I can really see this as is a political stunt to turn America's opinion of Obamacare even further south which is backfiring horribly for Republicans in office, because the public already views them are ridiculous cunts.

and in 10 days the exchanges open and people start talking about the great deal they are getting on insurance.

then its all over for the obamacare foes.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

Belmaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Prove it.

Will extension of coverage not cause the cost to provide said coverage to increase?

it hasn't yet.
whatever

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

Belmaria wrote:

That isn't proving your claim.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

Belmaria wrote:

By itself? Probably.

Thank goodness that isn't the only thing in the bill, eh?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Belmaria wrote:Will extension of coverage not cause the cost to provide said coverage to increase?

That isn't proving your claim.

The burden of proof is actually on you, considering you support the changes in the new bill.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 am

Belmaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:That isn't proving your claim.

The burden of proof is actually on you, considering you support the changes in the new bill.

The burden of proof is on the person making absolutely no claims at all? I don't think you understand burden of proof.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 am

Belmaria wrote:

Lolwat.

That isn't how it works. The bill is currently law. You want to change it. You need a reason, with evidence. Don't have it? Don't post on a debate forum.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 am

Belmaria wrote:

no

if you make a claim you have to prove it.

and you cant prove it since the "to age 26" thing has been in effect for 3 years and hasn't cause a rise in premiums.
whatever

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Condunum wrote:All I can really see this as is a political stunt to turn America's opinion of Obamacare even further south which is backfiring horribly for Republicans in office, because the public already views them are ridiculous cunts.

and in 10 days the exchanges open and people start talking about the great deal they are getting on insurance.

then its all over for the obamacare foes.

Reading this makes me giddy, it seems.

Maybe I do hate the GOP as much as I'm supposed to.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Belmaria wrote:The burden of proof is actually on you, considering you support the changes in the new bill.

no

and you cant prove it since the "to age 26" thing has been in effect for 3 years and hasn't cause a rise in premiums.

Just in time, too. I would have been without insurance for years.
password scrambled

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Belmaria wrote:The burden of proof is actually on you, considering you support the changes in the new bill.

no

Considering the fact that premiums increase every year, it would be incredibly difficult to find data for that point.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 am

Belmaria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:no

Considering the fact that premiums increase every year, it would be incredibly difficult to find data for that point.

No it isn't. All you need to do is demonstrate the premiums are rising faster than before.

Too bad we see the opposite.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 am

Belmaria wrote:

No it wouldn't. An increase in the rise of rates would be an indicator.
password scrambled

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 am

Let's take the debate on specifics of Obamacare here, shall we? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=261512

This thread is about the looming government shutdown. I know the PPACA is central to the Republican argument but the discussion has gotten off topic and into things that more properly belong in the other thread.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 am

The Red Star Union wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/politics/shutdown-groundhog-day/index.html
So apparently, because of the Obamacare standoff, the US government might shutdown. What do you think NSers? Im blaming the Republicans, but please do not turn this into a flaming debate.

Discuss.

SHUT DOWN TIME! :clap: :clap: :clap:
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 am

Condunum wrote:

Just in time, too. I would have been without insurance for years.

it is such a boon to so very many people.

its sad that so many republican governors (but not the governor of newmexico) and legislatures have decided that it is in their best interest to screw their low income residents out of the Medicaid expansion.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 am

Farnhamia wrote:Let's take the debate on specifics of Obamacare here, shall we? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=261512

This thread is about the looming government shutdown. I know the PPACA is central to the Republican argument but the discussion has gotten off topic and into things that more properly belong in the other thread.

yes ma'am.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 am

Vazdania wrote:
The Red Star Union wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/politics/shutdown-groundhog-day/index.html
So apparently, because of the Obamacare standoff, the US government might shutdown. What do you think NSers? Im blaming the Republicans, but please do not turn this into a flaming debate.

Discuss.

SHUT DOWN TIME! :clap: :clap: :clap:

what do you see that is good about this?
whatever

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 am

WAIT! THE US GOVERNMENT IS SHUTTING DOWN!?

Oh....false alarm. If were really shutting down, I'd be so happy.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 am

Farnhamia wrote:Let's take the debate on specifics of Obamacare here, shall we? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=261512

Why debate a waste of paper?
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Condunum wrote:Just in time, too. I would have been without insurance for years.

it is such a boon to so very many people.

its sad that so many republican governors (but not the governor of newmexico) and legislatures have decided that it is in their best interest to screw their low income residents out of the Medicaid expansion.

Somehow, they believe if they get all their money from the poor, they can make stuff better.
password scrambled

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:19 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Vazdania wrote:SHUT DOWN TIME! :clap: :clap: :clap:

what do you see that is good about this?

It'll just highlight how divided our country really is.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:19 am

Ashmoria wrote:
oh so you aren't a healthcare or insurance professional who actually knows what needs to be covered in an insurance plan.

you are just the kind of person who gets tricked into cheap but useless insurance.

He kind of has a point, though, in saying that he probably doesn't need abortion coverage/histerectomy coverage. It doesn't require healthcare expertise to say that's not a real risk.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General