NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown? Not any more!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who To Blame?

Obama
12%
House Republicans
46%
House Democrats
4%
Senate Republicans
6%
Senate Democrats
8%
Speaker Boehner
24%

Total votes : 517

Kaapstad
Secretary

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaapstad » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 pm

This is a complete propaganda operation. The media is crying OMG SHUTDOWN and then in an article further down says "how it will affect you" and basically only says that National Parks will be closed. Not to worry, the IRS will still steal your money, the CIA and army will still bomb foreigners, the NSA will still spy on you, the FBI/SS will still stomp on your rights, etc.

Its a complete joke, and the fact that the media is doing this, openly lying and misleading, and then even further, covering up the true source of the shutdown: that Democrats refuse to pass a reasonable budget or be open about the massive debt and spending they want to take on, is downright terrifying. The media, with few exceptions, has become a mouthpiece for the White House.
Principality of Kaapstad
Princess Anna (r. 2008 - present)

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
greed and death wrote:The Republicans have left the house, they are not coming back until the senate passes their last offer. So we have to go without a budget until 2015 now.

The longer they wait; I suspect violent acts will start happening against the repubs and the tea party?

Are you calling for violence against elected officials?
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Tundra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
greed and death wrote:The Republicans have left the house, they are not coming back until the senate passes their last offer. So we have to go without a budget until 2015 now.

The longer they wait; I suspect violent acts will start happening against the repubs and the tea party?

i doubt it, but we are 3 square meals away from ripping eachother to pieces. I like to think if the government stays closed for more than a month, all the government employees lynch congress. literally, strap them to horses and lynch them on the national mall.
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.
Conservative Conservationists wrote:Too many puns and bad media lines
Must... Stop.... Self....

Stuff it

Despite anal probe, no crack found by police
Anal probe was shitty
Implements inserted for a crap reason
Man seeking a rears for police brutality
Man sues asses for penetrating his own
Police demand to spread went too far
Long arm of law goes inside
Lesson: Only stick it up there with permission.

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Indecisive people in government = a vacation day for them and the overall disappointment of the American people
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Kaapstad wrote:Its a complete joke, and the fact that the media is doing this, openly lying and misleading, and then even further, covering up the true source of the shutdown: that Democrats refuse to pass a reasonable budget or be open about the massive debt and spending they want to take on, is downright terrifying. The media, with few exceptions, has become a mouthpiece for the White House.

No, it is because the Democrats will not give into the GOP's blackmail, that is only around because the Republicans refuse to admit that they lost the elections.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

The Tundra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Are you calling for violence against elected officials.

i believe that is called "speculating"
I suffer from many communicative disorders with the written word do to brain damage sustained during surgery, i apologies for appalling grammar and spelling.

Stuff it

Anal probe was shitty

Jormengand wrote:If you wish to continue this banal line of thought about the whys and the wherefores, the wall is over there and is very interested in what you have to say

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
...That is not what they are saying.

So funded federal government with a delayed mandate or an unfunded federal government either one of those makes them happy.

:D I like the childish logic. I didn't fuck you over; the President made me do that to you.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

The Tundra wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

i doubt it, but we are 3 square meals away from ripping eachother to pieces. I like to think if the government stays closed for more than a month, all the government employees lynch congress. literally, strap them to horses and lynch them on the national mall.

Are there enough trees on the national mall for that?

I guess we could use the flagpoles around the Washington munument for it too. Maybe even the monument itself (although if we were going for appropriateness we should probably find some way to hang them from the Jefferson memorial).
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Kaapstad wrote:This is a complete propaganda operation. The media is crying OMG SHUTDOWN and then in an article further down says "how it will affect you" and basically only says that National Parks will be closed. Not to worry, the IRS will still steal your money, the CIA and army will still bomb foreigners, the NSA will still spy on you, the FBI/SS will still stomp on your rights, etc.

Its a complete joke, and the fact that the media is doing this, openly lying and misleading, and then even further, covering up the true source of the shutdown: that Democrats refuse to pass a reasonable budget or be open about the massive debt and spending they want to take on, is downright terrifying. The media, with few exceptions, has become a mouthpiece for the White House.

So much Alex Jones up in there. Seriously, a propaganda operation? You honestly believe that? :rofl:
Last edited by Luveria on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
Kaapstad wrote:Its a complete joke, and the fact that the media is doing this, openly lying and misleading, and then even further, covering up the true source of the shutdown: that Democrats refuse to pass a reasonable budget or be open about the massive debt and spending they want to take on, is downright terrifying. The media, with few exceptions, has become a mouthpiece for the White House.

No, it is because the Democrats will not give into the GOP's blackmail, that is only around because the Republicans refuse to admit that they lost the elections.

They won the house they are allowed to do this.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Feux
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Yuktova wrote:Indecisive people in government = a vacation day for them and the overall disappointment of the American people

I wouldn't say it is indecisive people in government has much as people that need to be more indecisive...
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
greed and death wrote:So funded federal government with a delayed mandate or an unfunded federal government either one of those makes them happy.

:D I like the childish logic. I didn't fuck you over; the President made me do that to you.

Yes, shifting the blame. Something the GOP is very talented at.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm

greed and death wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

Only, because of gerrymandering. Additionally, the polls speak differently with people opposing their efforts.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Who is Tom Joad?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm

greed and death wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

Next elections will be interesting.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
greed and death wrote:They won the house they are allowed to do this.

Only, because of gerrymandering. Additionally, the polls speak differently with people opposing their efforts.

The Democrats gerrymander too. If you're going to be upset about gerrymandering, be fair and blame everyone doing it.

The Tundra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tundra » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Tundra wrote:i doubt it, but we are 3 square meals away from ripping eachother to pieces. I like to think if the government stays closed for more than a month, all the government employees lynch congress. literally, strap them to horses and lynch them on the national mall.

Are there enough trees on the national mall for that?

I guess we could use the flagpoles around the Washington munument for it too. Maybe even the monument itself (although if we were going for appropriateness we should probably find some way to hang them from the Jefferson memorial).

alas, its only a misc in my mind of proper mob justice

*sigh* its nice to dream

Stuff it

Anal probe was shitty

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:19 pm

The Tundra wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Somehow I can imagine mass drownings in the reflection pool would be a more economical route.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
greed and death wrote:They won the house they are allowed to do this.

Yeah, losing at Gerrymandering is just another way of saying we lost the earlier more important elections.
Barack Obama

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Luveria wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

The Democrats gerrymander too. If you're going to be upset about gerrymandering, be fair and blame everyone doing it.

That's a big issue that needs to be addressed as well.

The issue of figuring out how to separate districts.
Forever a Communist

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Luveria wrote:The Democrats gerrymander too. If you're going to be upset about gerrymandering, be fair and blame everyone doing it.

how about having people who are not under the direct control of congress do it.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Nalt
Attaché

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nalt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Nalt wrote:No, the will was there for a deal, a deal could have been made that favored the democrats. Not just because the will isn't there for a government shutdown anymore, but even politically there are groups in the house that want to undercut Cruz and be the group that actually solved the problem for 2016 reasons. A deal could have been negotiated if the Reid had wanted one and it wouldn't have been that harmful for Obamacare. I believe that strongly.

What deal? What specifically did the perpetrators of this shutdown IE the tea party wingnuts I've mentioned time and again offer in exchange for a delay of the implementation of healthcare reform? Did they offer campaign finance reform? Firearms control legislation? Expanded women's health rights? The re-enstatement of the Voting Rights Act in its entirety? Where were these magical bargaing chips that somehow every media outlet missed that were being offered in exchange for that delay? Because "do what we want or else we'll put government workers out of work and make life hard for US Citizens at large" is no deal, it's still an act of hostage-taking.

Neutraligon wrote:
So, what deal would have been accepted that favored democrats? And, what do you mean by wouldn't be that harmful, postponing the individual mandate is very harmful to Obamacare.

One thing I heard repeatedly (and when I use the term repeatedly, I mean it was clearly a talking point, like the use of "hostage-taking" in a majority of the posts in this thread) was the medical device tax. Now when you hear something brought up in several interviews with different people, they are being told to say that. Or, they are aware of background information. Another that I heard a few times was opening up insurance to be easier to buy across state lines. I also heard talk (this time not from a republican in the house, but one that tried to run in my district) of lowering the fines associated with the individual mandate for a year.

There was plenty that could have been put out there. You don't need to get many moderate republicans in the house on your side to get a majority of Dems and moderate Reps.

You don't get to tell the Republicans, "look, we have the senate, we have the Presidency, that's 2/3 so please pass exactly what we want until you get 2/3." That's not how American governance works. You have to give up a little bit when you need a little support from the other party.
Last edited by Nalt on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalt
Member of the Glorious Magisterium of The East Pacific,
Behold the Sovereign East!

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Luveria wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that without it the Republicans would have lost the House, as they got less votes then the Democrats in the house elections.

Who is Tom Joad?

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Luveria wrote:The Democrats gerrymander too. If you're going to be upset about gerrymandering, be fair and blame everyone doing it.

Slightly relevant.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Revolutopia wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that without it the Republicans would have lost the House, as they got less votes then the Democrats in the house elections.

That just means the Republicans are more skilled at Gerrymandering.
Barack Obama

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Luveria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Yes, shifting the blame. Something the GOP is very talented at.

Why are you hitting yourself.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General