NATION

PASSWORD

Semiautomatic rifles to be Assault Weapons in CA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:13 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Sevvania wrote:Let us imagine a gun-free scenario, then. Let us, if only for a moment, say that no firearms exist in the United States of America, criminally owned or otherwise. A gun is an equalizer and a deterrent. But let us imagine that there are no guns, and violent crimes are committed with blades, cudgels, and bare hands. It would seem to me that in such a scenario, the bigger, stronger individuals would be relatively free to do as they please until local law enforcement arrives. An old man isn't going to be able to bring down an athletic thug in hand-to-hand combat.

what sort of mad max dystopia do you live in? i mean, there are some places that work sorta like this now (for the rest of us, we have strong enough institutions that it doesn't even rank as a concern). but there its the guns that do most of the work. because the abstract idea of guns in the hands of a lone citizen simply does not act as an equalizer and deterrent. instead, they are used by the criminals to get what they want with minimal risk to themselves.

ah, you say, but what if even moar people had guns. an armed society is a polite society, right? well, no. because it turns out that the same thought patterns that lend themselves to violent criminality also lend themselves to poor impulse control and being terrible at assessing risk.

Sevvania wrote:But, "all those dead kids," while tragic losses, are a very small percentage of gun crime in general. If one looks to the notorious mass shooters, it can be seen that almost all of them invariably plead insanity or commit suicide, which would imply that their mental health is somewhat less-than-ideal. Rather than pinning the blame on inanimate objects that do not act autonomously, perhaps one might look to the single aspect that has remained constant throughout every crime that has been committed since time immemorial; human beings. Would it be better to have no guns and individuals with mass-killer mentalities, or better would guns be less of an issue if there were improved treatments for individuals with such warped mentalities?

how about we take the best of both worlds and improve access to and effectiveness of treatments while at the same time making it significantly more difficult for the crazy and the criminal to access guns?

also, inanimate objects quite clearly are causal. in fact, the constant of humanity is part of how we know this - people is people but rates change, which means we can reasonably assume that its not the people that make the difference. consider again the easy case. if nuclear weapons were uncontrolled and readily accessible, would there be more or less nuclear explosions than there are today?

Edit: I just realized something that could be considered ironic:
"Mad Max" is set in Australia, a nation that is often referenced for its strict gun laws. Granted, it is a fictional movie, and as such it cannot be interpreted as hard evidence for or against the effects of gun control.

Note, I did not say that moar guns equals moar better; I don't aspire to have a gun in every home. I simply said that, when looking at the number of mass shootings (which are generally the crimes that raise attention issue of gun control) committed by the mentally ill, that I would feel more secure amongst individuals who may or may not have guns, but have superior counseling and/or other treatment options available to those amongst them with mass-killer mentalities. As opposed to a gun-free environment in which individuals with a known history of mental health problems and mass-killer mentalities could simply find another way of carrying out their ill-intents. Explosive devices were found in the apartment of James Holmes, despite his having seen three different mental health professionals prior to his shooting. "Despite the fact that she was seeing him as a patient, she decided not to hospitalize him for saying he wanted to kill people. Her reasoning is unknown."

I do agree with "improve access to and effectiveness of treatments while at the same time making it significantly more difficult for the crazy and the criminal to access guns". No one here wants criminals or crazy people to have guns. However, I also don't want a full-on ban or severe restrictions with questionable effectiveness imposed upon individuals who do not use their weapons unlawfully.

If guns were not part of this equation, would this individual who expressed a desire to kill people on more than one occasion not have done what he did, instead choosing to sit at him with his improvised explosive devices? The largest school massacre in the history of the United States belongs not to a shooter, but to a bomber.

There are always going to be loopholes and alternative weapons for the crazy and criminal, whether that be a bomb, a knife, or "any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute"(United States Gun Control Act of 1968), as such firearms are largely exempt from most gun restrictions in place in the United States. This means that a cap-and-ball revolver with a detachable cylinder (during the Civil War, it was not uncommon for soldiers to carry several pre-loaded cylinders) is unaffected by regulations that affect other handguns. The same exemption applies for LeMat-style revolvers capable of feeding from a 9-round cylinder wrapped around an underbarrel shotgun. These weapons also fire solid lead rounds (lead and other expanding rounds have been outlawed for use in warfare since ~WWI, as they mangle and maim rather than just punching through a target), as opposed to a round with a brass jacket, as is the norm amongst semi-automatic handguns.

To address the age-old guns = nuclear weapons train of thought, one can also interpret it this way: When America was the only nation in the world with nuclear weapons, we dropped two of them on a nation that had no capability of fighting back against such weapons in order to get what we wanted. During the Cold War, when Russia developed nuclear weapons of their own, and in the years beyond where even more nations have acquired nuclear capability? It has become a saber to rattle, a deterrant, rather than being used as a means to an end. Not one nuclear weapon has been used against a human being during any war since Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Last edited by Sevvania on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 am

Nazeroth wrote:you know what else I love, people who want gun control(like politicians) but have armed security with them.

I wish I could have the luxury of sitting back and spouting how bad guns are while having armed staff surrounding me.

Is actually thinking about things passe among the freedom-hating right now?

Because if you had actually stopped to think, perhaps you would have realized that if there were fewer guns around, they wouldn't feel the need to have armed security.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:21 am

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:you know what else I love, people who want gun control(like politicians) but have armed security with them.

I wish I could have the luxury of sitting back and spouting how bad guns are while having armed staff surrounding me.

Is actually thinking about things passe among the freedom-hating right now?

Because if you had actually stopped to think, perhaps you would have realized that if there were fewer guns around, they wouldn't feel the need to have armed security.

THAT'S why the Queen of England stopped that whole silly business of the Queen's Guard.

I knew there was a reason.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am

Confederated Southern States wrote:*Sigh*

The lefties in congress just want to scrap the 2nd amendment, don't they?

Yes, because unlike you we actually like freedom and recognize that weapons possession has no place in a free society.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I think I'm beginning to support gun control just so I can see the gun crowd bitch and moan. It's entertaining.

Us gun crowd? bitching? Maybe you should see the look at Obama's face when we shot down the Universal Background Check bill. I enjoyed it so much I played it over 5 times.

Why do you hate freedom so much? Is it because the authoritarian ruling class promised you a boon in exchange for your loyal and slavish service?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 pm

So Franklin Delano Bluth, the Southern Plantation owners made it illegal for a person of color to own a gun because they wanted those people to be more free? Because obviously
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:weapons possession has no place in a free society.

Or say maybe it was because they feared an armed insurrection from the people they were systematically oppressing?

This is all besides the fact that a gun can be used for nice legal practice of hunting, or sports shooting. Neither of which hurt another person.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:So Franklin Delano Bluth, the Southern Plantation owners made it illegal for a person of color to own a gun because they wanted those people to be more free? Because obviously
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:weapons possession has no place in a free society.

Or say maybe it was because they feared an armed insurrection from the people they were systematically oppressing?

Meanwhile, we're in a different context.

This is all besides the fact that a gun can be used for nice legal practice of hunting, or sports shooting. Neither of which hurt another person.

Hunting does. It reinforces social and cultural structures of hierarchy and dominance that manifest themselves in interpersonal affairs.

Target shooting, I've addressed earlier.
Last edited by Franklin Delano Bluth on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:So Franklin Delano Bluth, the Southern Plantation owners made it illegal for a person of color to own a gun because they wanted those people to be more free? Because obviously

Meanwhile, we're in a different context.

We are alway in the context of a peoples right to be armed in both self defense of their person and their ideas.

Hunting does. It reinforces social and cultural structures of hierarchy and dominance that manifest themselves in interpersonal affairs.

Target shooting, I've addressed earlier.

Could you provide a link to your address on target shooting, I do not see it here, and there are 19 pages of discussion here plus multiple other threads on the issue.

As to hunting it is a sport, how does it "reinforces social and cultural structures of hierarchy and dominance that manifest themselves in interpersonal affairs" outside of me saying, yum this meat tastes good? Or sharing said meat with my friends? Or helping my development and understanding of nature and conservation? I'll admit I went hunting with my Dad, but thats mostly because he's the one who wants to go to the out doors with me.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I never could figure out this Red Dawn fantasy some people have, that unrestricted gun access will magically prevent some imaginary dictatorship from forming in the United States government.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Gauthier wrote:I never could figure out this Red Dawn fantasy some people have, that unrestricted gun access will magically prevent some imaginary dictatorship from forming in the United States government.

Mostly I would like guns for myself because I would like to be able to defend my person in the case of a mugging, or say a burglary. Registration I don't care as much about though I would prefer it didn't happen.
Fact Book.

Downeistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Downeistan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Gauthier wrote:I never could figure out this Red Dawn fantasy some people have, that unrestricted gun access will magically prevent some imaginary dictatorship from forming in the United States government.

Mostly I would like guns for myself because I would like to be able to defend my person in the case of a mugging, or say a burglary. Registration I don't care as much about though I would prefer it didn't happen.

Spirit -- I don't pretend to be an expert of specific guns, but no sarcasm intended here, in the context of the OP can you help me understand how banning these particular types of weapons would make you less able to defend yourself in the event of a mugging or burglary (or other violent crime, not trying to hammer semantics)?

In my limited understanding semiautomatic rifles wouldn't be used as concealed weapons (i.e. defense on the streets in the event of a mugging), and handguns are far more frequently used for potential at home defense. I grant that some folks have pointed out that some handguns would be verboten in this legislation, but are >10 rounds (or whatever the details are) needed in that circumstance anyhow?

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Downeistan wrote:In my limited understanding semiautomatic rifles wouldn't be used as concealed weapons (i.e. defense on the streets in the event of a mugging)

Semi-automatic pistols aren't exactly uncommon.

Quite frankly, I'm having trouble thinking of a popular, modern non-revolver handgun that's not at least semi-automatic.
Last edited by Franklin Delano Bluth on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Downeistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Downeistan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Downeistan wrote:In my limited understanding semiautomatic rifles wouldn't be used as concealed weapons (i.e. defense on the streets in the event of a mugging)

And in reading the language of the bill clearly some handguns would be banned, but again from a very layman it appears that those are more 'elaborate' for lack of better words, weapons. Those capable of silencers and expanded magazines and such.
I'm not asserting anything here, just trying to better understand if the weapons herein are commonly used for protection in the manner Spirit of Hope lays out.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Downeistan wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Mostly I would like guns for myself because I would like to be able to defend my person in the case of a mugging, or say a burglary. Registration I don't care as much about though I would prefer it didn't happen.

Spirit -- I don't pretend to be an expert of specific guns, but no sarcasm intended here, in the context of the OP can you help me understand how banning these particular types of weapons would make you less able to defend yourself in the event of a mugging or burglary (or other violent crime, not trying to hammer semantics)?

In my limited understanding semiautomatic rifles wouldn't be used as concealed weapons (i.e. defense on the streets in the event of a mugging), and handguns are far more frequently used for potential at home defense. I grant that some folks have pointed out that some handguns would be verboten in this legislation, but are >10 rounds (or whatever the details are) needed in that circumstance anyhow?

Mostly imagine it this way, why should I as a legal citizen who has committed no crimes not be allowed to have a centerfire rifle with a ten round magazine? Besides self defense (for which I will admit in most cases a pistol or a shotgun are far superior), I like to go shooting on the range. If any center fire rifle with a ten round magazine is an assault weapon, almost every rifle I know of is an assault weapon. It is a massive inconvenience for me as a citizen that I know have all kinds of loops to jump through if say I want to give the gun to my son. Or I want to buy a rifle for fun shooting in the future.

Plus it just makes it inconvenient at the range, lauding magazines is boring, and if I can't have anything more than ten rounds I will do that a lot. A great comparison is a cars gas tank, given two similar cars would you take the 5 gallon gas tank or the 20 gallon gas tank? 20 gallons of course, it is way more convenient for you.

Now a magazine limit isn't going to slow down a gunman, first and foremost it is way to easy to get larger magazines and so long as a gun can accept 10 round magazines it can almost always accept larger ones. Secondly I can do a magazine change in 2 seconds, the longest it has ever taken me is 5 seconds when I first began shooting. So if for some reason I was going on a massive shooting spree I would load up lot of ten round magazines and head off, reloading when I needed to. This is all besides the fact that most shootings have only 1-3 shots fired and magazine capacity never becomes an issue.

Back to the car comparison, would the 5 gallon gas tank really stop you from driving around? No, you would just have to stop and get gas more, and wonder why you didn't get the larger gas tank.

Target shooting is completely, so why am I as a citizen being punished for my sport and hobby.
Fact Book.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Downeistan wrote:

And in reading the language of the bill clearly some handguns would be banned, but again from a very layman it appears that those are more 'elaborate' for lack of better words, weapons. Those capable of silencers and expanded magazines and such.
I'm not asserting anything here, just trying to better understand if the weapons herein are commonly used for protection in the manner Spirit of Hope lays out.

Most of the things that are currently banned aren't "elaborate" they are safety features or ergonomic features. I want a barrel shroud so I can touch the barrel without burning myself, accepting a magazine outside the pistol grip has nothing to do with function and in fact makes the gun bigger so I can have better control, a flash suppressor so I don't blind myself. (Hint a flash suppressor doesn't stop others from seeing the flash, it just protects the shooters eyes)

On some of the other features they target: A pistol grip just makes rifles more comfortable, why would a bayonet lug make a difference on my rifle, the ability to attach a grenade launcher just means it has rails, a common feature so I can upgrade my rifles sights and thus reduce eye strain. The list goes on, they ban cosmetic features that make guns look scary instead of the underlying mechanisms.
Fact Book.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Downeistan wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Mostly I would like guns for myself because I would like to be able to defend my person in the case of a mugging, or say a burglary. Registration I don't care as much about though I would prefer it didn't happen.

And this is true: you typically don't concealed carry a semi-automatic rifle. But since most crimes are committed with handguns, with semi-automatic rifles only accounting for <4% of gun crime, it would be trivial to ban the category of weapon responsible for the least amounts of gun crime in an effort to bring about a substantial reduction in gun crime.

"Elaborate" semi-automatic handguns are not imbued with a degree of hyper-lethality superior to that of their less-elaborate counterparts. Sound suppressors are already regulated in most places, if I remember correctly, and do not actually silence the sound of gunfire, merely dampen it to levels that are slightly less damaging to unprotected ears. Less-elaborate magazine-fed handguns can accept high-capacity magazines just as easily as their elaborate counterparts, which means that rather than banning a particularly category of weapon, perhaps a simple magazine capacity limit would be more effective and more acceptable to both parties.

"Secondly I can do a magazine change in 2 seconds, the longest it has ever taken me is 5 seconds when I first began shooting. So if for some reason I was going on a massive shooting spree I would load up lot of ten round magazines and head off, reloading when I needed to. "
- Spirit of Hope

@Spirit of Hope: While magazine changes can be relatively quick, carrying three 10-round magazines is more cumbersome than carrying a single 30-round magazine, and changing magazines still requires ceasing fire, however briefly. While target and sport shooting is a legitimate past time that I myself enjoy, the minor inconvenience of reloading more often in an environment where you are not under fire is an acceptable inconvenience, I think. Loading magazines with individual rounds can be bothersome, but SKS rifles can accept stripper clips which speed up the process. A rifle that accepts clips might be a good compromise between convenience for target shooters and limits on magazine capacity.
Last edited by Sevvania on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Downeistan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Downeistan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Downeistan wrote:

Mostly imagine it this way, why should I as a legal citizen who has committed no crimes not be allowed to have a centerfire rifle with a ten round magazine? Besides self defense (for which I will admit in most cases a pistol or a shotgun are far superior), I like to go shooting on the range. If any center fire rifle with a ten round magazine is an assault weapon, almost every rifle I know of is an assault weapon. It is a massive inconvenience for me as a citizen that I know have all kinds of loops to jump through if say I want to give the gun to my son. Or I want to buy a rifle for fun shooting in the future.

Plus it just makes it inconvenient at the range, lauding magazines is boring, and if I can't have anything more than ten rounds I will do that a lot. A great comparison is a cars gas tank, given two similar cars would you take the 5 gallon gas tank or the 20 gallon gas tank? 20 gallons of course, it is way more convenient for you.

Now a magazine limit isn't going to slow down a gunman, first and foremost it is way to easy to get larger magazines and so long as a gun can accept 10 round magazines it can almost always accept larger ones. Secondly I can do a magazine change in 2 seconds, the longest it has ever taken me is 5 seconds when I first began shooting. So if for some reason I was going on a massive shooting spree I would load up lot of ten round magazines and head off, reloading when I needed to. This is all besides the fact that most shootings have only 1-3 shots fired and magazine capacity never becomes an issue.

Back to the car comparison, would the 5 gallon gas tank really stop you from driving around? No, you would just have to stop and get gas more, and wonder why you didn't get the larger gas tank.

Target shooting is completely, so why am I as a citizen being punished for my sport and hobby.

I can appreciate the philosophical rationale and the technical reasoning makes sense as well, but I guess my thought is this:
It seems that we're relatively agreed that these weapons aren't optimal, designed, whatever, for defense purposes. If you roughly concur with that, then what would be the counter-argument to allowing these types of weapons, but only at designated gun/hunting ranges?
I know I'm proposing something outside exactly what we're discussing, but for the sake of trying to find solutions, in my mind if those weapons had to remain at a 'gun club' so to speak, where you could target shoot, or a hunting preserve, or whatever wouldn't you be able to get the same utility? I'm not saying it would be without inconvenience or issues, I mean this more as a hypothetical.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Sevvania wrote:@Spirit of Hope: While magazine changes can be relatively quick, carrying three 10-round magazines is more cumbersome than carrying a single 30-round magazine, and changing magazines still requires ceasing fire, however briefly. While target and sport shooting is a legitimate past time that I myself enjoy, the minor inconvenience of reloading more often in an environment where you are not under fire is an acceptable inconvenience, I think. Loading magazines with individual rounds can be bothersome, but SKS rifles can accept stripper clips which speed up the process. A rifle that accepts clips might be a good compromise between convenience for target shooters and limits on magazine capacity.

Yes but the difference in bulk is not going to be enough to stop me from carrying hundreds of rounds, it will just be slightly less convenient. As to the stopping to reload, most mass shooters firing rates can be matched by a bolt action rifle, they usually have plenty of time to reload as they don't normally just unload the gun. They fire at some targets until those targets are dead, run, or hidden. Then the shooter moves on, during this time the shooter can easily reload. I just don't see how inconveniencing a person for no gain in safety makes any sense.

Downeistan wrote:I can appreciate the philosophical rationale and the technical reasoning makes sense as well, but I guess my thought is this:
It seems that we're relatively agreed that these weapons aren't optimal, designed, whatever, for defense purposes. If you roughly concur with that, then what would be the counter-argument to allowing these types of weapons, but only at designated gun/hunting ranges?
I know I'm proposing something outside exactly what we're discussing, but for the sake of trying to find solutions, in my mind if those weapons had to remain at a 'gun club' so to speak, where you could target shoot, or a hunting preserve, or whatever wouldn't you be able to get the same utility? I'm not saying it would be without inconvenience or issues, I mean this more as a hypothetical.

Well I can come up with situations where I would like to have a long gun around for selfdefense but most of those are remote to say the least. No keeping the gun at a range would require that I trust someone else to its maintenance or I carry out maintenance at the range. The first option I hate my gun, I'm taking care of it that way I know exactly what is going on. Second option just seams stupid in my opinion but we can disagree there.

Now as to me going hunting I would have to be able to check the gun out for days to weeks at a time and take it somewhere else, and be able to transport it in my car. If I wan't to go on a mass shooting I check it out of the shop, then go out and kill people. I don't see how this increases safety, only how it hampers me, especially since in 2010 there were less than 400 rifle related homicides. Honestly pools kill 6 times as many people, worry about them before you worry about my rifle of all things. Concentrate on mental health, whose failure allows madmen to go on shooting sprees. Concentrate on reducing crime which causes most shootings, concentrate on reducing income inequality which creates most crime. Don't concentrate on the smallest used weapon for crimes that we should attempt to avoid through means that will help more people.
Fact Book.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
In some ways, extremely short-sighted. In others, extremely long-sighted.

When the FFs drafted the Constitution, they did so under enormous pressure from both Federalist and anti-Federalist camps, from their own consciousness and from outside groups.

They drafted the Constitution to both get it out of the way as quickly as possible without ruffling any feathers (hence it's incredibly nebulous language) and to be clarified at a later date.

Up until 2008, the SCOTUS upheld the right of the government to regulate firearms because the Constitution said nowhere that it's citizens had a right to arm themselves except to form a militia to protect themselves from oppression.

Only, the Supreme Court considers the right to bear arms to apply to regular citizens.

Not before 2008 when gun nuttery reached it's apex.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Sevvania wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:what sort of mad max dystopia do you live in? i mean, there are some places that work sorta like this now (for the rest of us, we have strong enough institutions that it doesn't even rank as a concern). but there its the guns that do most of the work. because the abstract idea of guns in the hands of a lone citizen simply does not act as an equalizer and deterrent. instead, they are used by the criminals to get what they want with minimal risk to themselves.

ah, you say, but what if even moar people had guns. an armed society is a polite society, right? well, no. because it turns out that the same thought patterns that lend themselves to violent criminality also lend themselves to poor impulse control and being terrible at assessing risk.

how about we take the best of both worlds and improve access to and effectiveness of treatments while at the same time making it significantly more difficult for the crazy and the criminal to access guns?

also, inanimate objects quite clearly are causal. in fact, the constant of humanity is part of how we know this - people is people but rates change, which means we can reasonably assume that its not the people that make the difference. consider again the easy case. if nuclear weapons were uncontrolled and readily accessible, would there be more or less nuclear explosions than there are today?

Edit: I just realized something that could be considered ironic:
"Mad Max" is set in Australia, a nation that is often referenced for its strict gun laws. Granted, it is a fictional movie, and as such it cannot be interpreted as hard evidence for or against the effects of gun control.

Note, I did not say that moar guns equals moar better; I don't aspire to have a gun in every home. I simply said that, when looking at the number of mass shootings (which are generally the crimes that raise attention issue of gun control) committed by the mentally ill, that I would feel more secure amongst individuals who may or may not have guns, but have superior counseling and/or other treatment options available to those amongst them with mass-killer mentalities. As opposed to a gun-free environment in which individuals with a known history of mental health problems and mass-killer mentalities could simply find another way of carrying out their ill-intents. Explosive devices were found in the apartment of James Holmes, despite his having seen three different mental health professionals prior to his shooting. "Despite the fact that she was seeing him as a patient, she decided not to hospitalize him for saying he wanted to kill people. Her reasoning is unknown."

I do agree with "improve access to and effectiveness of treatments while at the same time making it significantly more difficult for the crazy and the criminal to access guns". No one here wants criminals or crazy people to have guns. However, I also don't want a full-on ban or severe restrictions with questionable effectiveness imposed upon individuals who do not use their weapons unlawfully.

If guns were not part of this equation, would this individual who expressed a desire to kill people on more than one occasion not have done what he did, instead choosing to sit at him with his improvised explosive devices? The largest school massacre in the history of the United States belongs not to a shooter, but to a bomber.

There are always going to be loopholes and alternative weapons for the crazy and criminal, whether that be a bomb, a knife, or "any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute"(United States Gun Control Act of 1968), as such firearms are largely exempt from most gun restrictions in place in the United States. This means that a cap-and-ball revolver with a detachable cylinder (during the Civil War, it was not uncommon for soldiers to carry several pre-loaded cylinders) is unaffected by regulations that affect other handguns. The same exemption applies for LeMat-style revolvers capable of feeding from a 9-round cylinder wrapped around an underbarrel shotgun. These weapons also fire solid lead rounds (lead and other expanding rounds have been outlawed for use in warfare since ~WWI, as they mangle and maim rather than just punching through a target), as opposed to a round with a brass jacket, as is the norm amongst semi-automatic handguns.

i have no comments on the specific proposals in any particular law - they are usually terrible in one way or another.

i would like to point out that the issue with guns even in the limited mass-killing cases is that guns are significantly easier for mass-killers (who aren't part of an organization of some sort) to kill people with than other weapons. including bombs, which require quite a bit of technical knowledge to build and use compared to just getting a gun. crazy people have a difficult time not blowing themselves up, even if they are solid enough to be able to plan that much.

even if reducing access to guns had no impact on the number of mass-killing attempts, it would still bring down the total number of fatalities. but given the convenience factor at play in a lot of these shootings, and the experience of other countries, i strongly suspect the number of attempts would decline if we reduced the availability of guns to do it with.

Sevvania wrote:To address the age-old guns = nuclear weapons train of thought, one can also interpret it this way: When America was the only nation in the world with nuclear weapons, we dropped two of them on a nation that had no capability of fighting back against such weapons in order to get what we wanted. During the Cold War, when Russia developed nuclear weapons of their own, and in the years beyond where even more nations have acquired nuclear capability? It has become a saber to rattle, a deterrant, rather than being used as a means to an end. Not one nuclear weapon has been used against a human being during any war since Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

i'm not actually making a guns=nukes argument. its about the way that mere access to some inanimate objects has very real consequences in the world, despite literally nothing else about humanity changing. the object itself is the cause. we can do the same for most anything - cars without seatbelts, say. the point is that it is right and proper to blame the thing rather than wish for better people. we can change things much more easily than we can change people. so when things give us shitty outcomes, then we must change something about them.

anyways, nukes have a deterrent effect among states in much the same way that conventional arms do, sure. the games among the limited number of states is very different from how things work in mass society. but even there, we rightfully worry about the spread of nukes or the buildup of arms among the nations that are known to be a bit on the chaotic and belligerent end, and we take active steps to prevent such. because not doing so obviously results in bad things happening that could have been avoided.
Last edited by Free Soviets on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:Only, the Supreme Court considers the right to bear arms to apply to regular citizens.

Well, they do now.
Go launch an appeals process on the ruling if you so wish.

As I recall, the argument in the case was that Chicago citizen's 2nd Amendment rights were being unduly infringed by restrictive firearms regulations that prevented citizens from acquiring firearms for personal defence and defence of property, and the 2nd Amendment was interpreted thusly in the ruling.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:19 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:Only, the Supreme Court considers the right to bear arms to apply to regular citizens.

Not really.
I mean, seriously, Heller didn't say 'No infringements! Govment can't do NUTTIN!' It said "Hey, you can't totally ban these things because this amendment says right here you can't ban the things."

That hardly seems like gun-nuttery, especially in the context of all the other cases they have taken up that have OKed various forms of regulation on firearms.
I'm General Patton.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Well, they do now.
Go launch an appeals process on the ruling if you so wish.

As I recall, the argument in the case was that Chicago citizen's 2nd Amendment rights were being unduly infringed by restrictive firearms regulations that prevented citizens from acquiring firearms for personal defence and defence of property, and the 2nd Amendment was interpreted thusly in the ruling.

I'll wait until Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito are either dead or caught up in a sex scandal. Speaking of which, where's my camera...

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Not really.
I mean, seriously, Heller didn't say 'No infringements! Govment can't do NUTTIN!' It said "Hey, you can't totally ban these things because this amendment says right here you can't ban the things."

That hardly seems like gun-nuttery, especially in the context of all the other cases they have taken up that have OKed various forms of regulation on firearms.

2008 was the year George Bush signed a 700 billion dollar stimulus package nobody then or today seems to remember and yet are totally OK with criticizing Obama for it.

There was something wrong with this damn country the whole time that guy was in office.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:30 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Not really.

2008 was the year George Bush signed a 700 billion dollar stimulus package nobody then or today seems to remember and yet are totally OK with criticizing Obama for it.

There was something wrong with this damn country the whole time that guy was in office.

O--kayyy. That came outta nowhere and has nothing to do with what I said.
There's some nuttery here, but I don't think it's got anything to do with guns. I'll just back up slowly.
I'm General Patton.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

O--kayyy. That came outta nowhere and has nothing to do with what I said.
There's some nuttery here, but I don't think it's got anything to do with guns. I'll just back up slowly.

It was the height of the Republican Party, damn it.

Yeah, it's popularity sank afterwards like a ton of bricks because people woke the fuck up, but it's probably what got that bullshit through SCOTUS.

Or do you have a goddamn memory problem?
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General