NATION

PASSWORD

Nobel Prize for Putin

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Putin for Peace?

Yes, give it to him
22%
Ummm? NO!!
25%
Neither Putin nor Obama should have one
53%
Other
1%

Total votes : 457

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

The Corparation wrote:Putin should win the Nobel Prize in Super-Villainy, for showing us that Bond Style Evil Geniuses don't have to hold the world to ransom with death rays or nukes for gold, they can instead rise to the top of a country through mostly legitimate political means and acquire control of a decent chunk of the world's nuclear arsenal without all that bother of having to worry about whether 007 is banging their mistress.

*implying that he doesn't rig elections*
big chungus, small among us

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Agreed. The Putin deserves the Prize.

Knowing you, I'd think you'd support Bathar Al Athad.

However, one must recognise: One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!
Imperialism makes monsters out of Man. - Comrade Ernesto Che Guevara.
Allah, Souriya, Bashar w bas! - EPIC
Basically, this. Our form of gov..
NS wars: 1/1/1/1.
USSR/Yugo HDIs 1992 - Haters are going to hate
EPIC 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Hezbollah Compass TRUTH

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Wolfenium wrote:To a man who suppressed free speech, outlaws homosexuality and invades breakaway states and unruly ex-puppets, I don't think so. But then, they gave one to Obama solely for being the first non-white president to be elected in the US, so I don't expect to be surprised if Putin somehow got one.
Wolfenium wrote:To a man who actively suppresses free speech, turns the government into a Russian roulette between him and his cronies, outlaws gays and invades breakway states like a boss, I don't think he deserves one. But given the comittee had already given one to Obama for presence alone, I wouldn't be surprised if Tsar Putin actually gets one.

We get it.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
You know who says stuff like that? Rape apologists.

Nope, Pussy Riot wasn't asking for it. Putin is a reactionary leader who doesn't give a fuck about his people. He has no compunction about trampling other people's right. He's not Nobel Prize material.

And for the record, neither was Obama. I thought that him winning it was a travesty.

That's a pretty irrelevant factoid, considering that Pussy Riot was not raped. They were arrested for violating the law. Rape has nothing to do with this.

Exactly, they were nothing but talentless attention seekers who got more publicity then they could possibly deserve.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Knowing you, I'd think you'd support Bathar Al Athad.

Exactly, nobody messes with the Lion.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Being a leader of a major power pretty much automatically entails being a bastard.

That said, Putin doesn't deserve a Nobel peace prize. Neither does Obama. Really, being a national leader should pretty much automatically disqualify you from the running.

Not only that. Giving it to someone like Putin, or Obama, diminishes the importance of holding such a prestigious prize. And it leaves worthier people out.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Pussy Riot was kinda asking for it.

Nope, Pussy Riot wasn't asking for it. Putin is a reactionary leader who doesn't give a fuck about his people. He has no compunction about trampling other people's right. He's not Nobel Prize material.

And for the record, neither was Obama. I thought that him winning it was a travesty.

Out of curiosity, do you believe that being reactionary automatically makes somebody a bad leader who doesn't care about their people?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Hell fucking no.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Finium wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Putin should win the Nobel Prize in Super-Villainy, for showing us that Bond Style Evil Geniuses don't have to hold the world to ransom with death rays or nukes for gold, they can instead rise to the top of a country through mostly legitimate political means and acquire control of a decent chunk of the world's nuclear arsenal without all that bother of having to worry about whether 007 is banging their mistress.

*implying that you have credible evidence that he rigs elections*
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:So since Russia was able to avert a war in Syria by standing up to the US of A, there are growing rumors that perhaps Vladimir Putin should deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2013/09/pr-campaign-gears-get-nobel-peace-prize-putin
He is clearly a wise leader and although he has some unflattering tendencies (like his attitude towards homosexuals) so did Obama (Drones, NSA, etc) and that didn't stop him from getting one or having said prize revoked.

I know it's a longshot, since the Nobel Committee is ideologically aligned with western values and is probably loath to give a prize to someone who so strongly opposes the liberal transatlantic power structure but it's worth speculating because he arguably is the most formidable statesman of our day.

Last I checked, the Nobel Peace Prize was supposed to go to people who furthered the cause of international peace. And by that metric, Putin's certainly done more than Barack Obama.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:So since Russia was able to avert a war in Syria by standing up to the US of A, there are growing rumors that perhaps Vladimir Putin should deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2013/09/pr-campaign-gears-get-nobel-peace-prize-putin
He is clearly a wise leader and although he has some unflattering tendencies (like his attitude towards homosexuals) so did Obama (Drones, NSA, etc) and that didn't stop him from getting one or having said prize revoked.

I know it's a longshot, since the Nobel Committee is ideologically aligned with western values and is probably loath to give a prize to someone who so strongly opposes the liberal transatlantic power structure but it's worth speculating because he arguably is the most formidable statesman of our day.

He averted a war? He's been enabling the already existing war there. How about he brings Assad and the rebels to the conference table and brokers a real peace? That would be worth a Peace Prize.

Hey it worked for Henry Kissinger!
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you believe that being reactionary automatically makes somebody a bad leader who doesn't care about their people?

In Putin's case, absolutely.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

American Culture
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby American Culture » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

He might have just kept America out of another war. So why not? It's not like the some of the people who have received it before him were any more deserving.
Here is a full-size image of the painting in my flag
Name of Painting: Nighthawks

I actually think it's a very beautiful painting, and it's very American, too!

I'm the puppet of a NSer that's proud to be American. It even says in his sig. Try to find out who it is. If you do, you get a treat.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Wolfenium wrote:To a man who actively suppresses free speech, turns the government into a Russian roulette between him and his cronies, outlaws gays and invades breakway states like a boss, I don't think he deserves one. But given the comittee had already given one to Obama for presence alone, I wouldn't be surprised if Tsar Putin actually gets one.

So you admit at least that he is a boss.

It takes a lot more effort to stay up there than people assume. I don't necessarily approve of his policies, but who wouldn't want to be in his position?
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:

Exactly, nobody messes with the Lion.

My point indeed.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:That's a pretty irrelevant factoid, considering that Pussy Riot was not raped. They were arrested for violating the law. Rape has nothing to do with this.

Exactly, they were nothing but talentless attention seekers who got more publicity then they could possibly deserve.

And were expressing free speech. Honestly, this is like the call to arrest Mapplethorpe. Freedom of speech is freedom of expression.
And if "talentless hackiness" were a legitimate crime, 1d and Nickelback would be sharing a very crowded cell.
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Finium wrote:

*Implying that I put legitimate means instead of mostly legitimate. Although I did consider and probably should have used questionably.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Wolfenium wrote:To a man who suppressed free speech, outlaws homosexuality and invades breakaway states and unruly ex-puppets, I don't think so. But then, they gave one to Obama solely for being the first non-white president to be elected in the US, so I don't expect to be surprised if Putin somehow got one.

We get it.

Blame my internet connection...
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:

We get it.

Let me correct that for him: "Restores order against Qutbist insurgents attempting to threaten Russian civilians". (Chechnya versus The Putin)

"Thwarts a nation's flagrant attempt at annexing Russian territories, in which said nation also was occupied massacring its way around in Abkhazia & South Ossetia before wanting to mess with the Bear". (Georgia versus The Putin)

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Putin deserves it. Then again, it's also worthless considering who has been considered for it and why.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Nobel Peace Prize for Putin?

The man who suppresses free speech, makes journalists disappear, the man who oversaw the invasion of Georgia, the man who hates homosexuality now deserves a peace prize?

I don't think so.

The other stuff is small compared to what he prevented in Syria.

:palm: Your argument is "ignore all the bad stuff because of one good thing that happened after 13 years of government"?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Cu Math wrote:

And were expressing free speech. Honestly, this is like the call to arrest Mapplethorpe. Freedom of speech is freedom of expression.
And if "talentless hackiness" were a legitimate crime, 1d and Nickelback would be sharing a very crowded cell.

Miley Cyrus would be looking at hard time for Aggravated Pointlessness.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The other stuff is small compared to what he prevented in Syria.

:palm: Your argument is "ignore all the bad stuff because of one good thing that happened after 13 years of government"?

In essence it seems like he is indeed saying that.
Slava Ukraini

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:We get it.

Let me correct that for him: "Restores order against Qutbist insurgents attempting to threaten Russian civilians". (Chechnya versus The Putin)

"Thwarts a nation's flagrant attempt at annexing Russian territories, in which said nation also was occupied massacring its way around in Abkhazia & South Ossetia before wanting to mess with the Bear". (Georgia versus The Putin)

Shhh, we can't go around admitting that Russia was in the right about something! That's not how civilized people behave!
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Nobel Peace Prize for Putin?

The man who suppresses free speech, makes journalists disappear, the man who oversaw the invasion of Georgia, the man who hates homosexuality now deserves a peace prize?

I don't think so.

Oh, I'm sorry, were we supposed to send Saakashvili a thank you letter for ruthlessly killing our civilians and peacekeepers? Oh wait, no. We were supposed to write a sternly worded resolution, amirite?

The Scientific States wrote:
The whole invasion thing was kinda justified if you think about it (plus that was technically under Medvedev's watch)
The other stuff is ancillary compared to what he prevented in Syria.

The invasion was carried out during Putin's last few months in office. Plus the invasion wasn't justified, they simply wanted to make sure South Ossetia didn't become independent or what we.

Actually, the initial response was justified, but facts don't matter to some when they're talking about the Ossetian War. All they see is "Putin bad!", facts be damned! The second part of the response was Russia overreacting. Don't want us to overreact? Don't attack us. We're tired of being attacked, and will overreact if you start shit with us. Signed, Russians.

Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8281990.stm

Seriously, as a Russian, aside from rebuilding the housing that was destroyed as a result of the war, which we spent $611 million on, helping out the wounded after the war, which we did, I don't particularly feel apologetic.

The conflict erupted on 7 August 2008, as Georgia shelled the breakaway region of South Ossetia, in an attempt to regain control over it. The previous months had seen a series of clashes. Russian forces quickly repelled the assault, and pushed further into Georgia. The conflict lasted for five days before a ceasefire was agreed. Russia pulled back, but built up its military presence in both South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

That's from BBC. They weren't exactly pro-Russian on the war. I can find other sources if you like.

Frisivisia wrote:Because who cares about the fact that the US had a very large part in the proceedings and its actions are what caused the peace deal to be reached or the fact that Putin is an oppressive, warmongering, corrupt, authoritarian, gay-hating bastard?

Warmongering? Seriously?

Greater Vayland wrote:My girlfriend, whose family hails from Grozny, would beg to disagree.

Which year did she leave Grozny?
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General