NATION

PASSWORD

Nobel Prize for Putin

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Putin for Peace?

Yes, give it to him
22%
Ummm? NO!!
25%
Neither Putin nor Obama should have one
53%
Other
1%

Total votes : 457

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Nobel Prize for Putin

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:52 pm

So since Russia was able to avert a war in Syria by standing up to the US of A, there are growing rumors that perhaps Vladimir Putin should deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2013/09/pr-campaign-gears-get-nobel-peace-prize-putin
He is clearly a wise leader and although he has some unflattering tendencies (like his attitude towards homosexuals) so did Obama (Drones, NSA, etc) and that didn't stop him from getting one or having said prize revoked.

I know it's a longshot, since the Nobel Committee is ideologically aligned with western values and is probably loath to give a prize to someone who so strongly opposes the liberal transatlantic power structure but it's worth speculating because he arguably is the most formidable statesman of our day.
Last edited by Imperial Nilfgaard on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:55 pm

I would be all for it, but unfortunately he's a dick to people in his own country

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Another thing, Putin has already won a peace prize, so he's got legitimate credentials to at least be considered.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/world/asia/chinas-confucius-prize-awarded-to-vladimir-putin.html
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Nobel Peace Prize for Putin?

The man who suppresses free speech, makes journalists disappear, the man who oversaw the invasion of Georgia, the man who hates homosexuality now deserves a peace prize?

I don't think so.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:00 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Nobel Peace Prize for Putin?

The man who suppresses free speech, makes journalists disappear, the man who oversaw the invasion of Georgia, the man who hates homosexuality now deserves a peace prize?

I don't think so.

The whole invasion thing was kinda justified if you think about it (plus that was technically under Medvedev's watch)
The other stuff is small compared to what he prevented in Syria.
Last edited by Imperial Nilfgaard on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 pm

I don't usually vote for Nobel Prize winners, but when I do, I prefer ones that throw a women's rights band in prison.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:I don't usually vote for Nobel Prize winners, but when I do, I prefer ones that throw a women's rights band in prison.

Pussy Riot was kinda asking for it.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:

I don't think so.

The whole invasion thing was kinda justified if you think about it (plus that was technically under Medvedev's watch)
The other stuff is ancillary compared to what he prevented in Syria.

The invasion was carried out during Putin's last few months in office. Plus the invasion wasn't justified, they simply wanted to make sure South Ossetia didn't become independent or what we.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
The other stuff is ancillary compared to what he prevented in Syria.

The invasion was carried out during Putin's last few months in office. Plus the invasion wasn't justified, they simply wanted to make sure South Ossetia didn't become independent or what we.

Georgia attacked South Ossetia, Russia intervened to defend people under attack from a trigger happy president shelling cities. Very justified.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:I don't usually vote for Nobel Prize winners, but when I do, I prefer ones that throw a women's rights band in prison.

Because when I award Nobel Peace Prizes, I like to do it based upon arguments traditionally reserved for rapists.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Because when I award Nobel Peace Prizes, I like to do it based upon arguments traditionally reserved for rapists.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one that saw the irony there.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Because who cares about the fact that the US had a very large part in the proceedings and its actions are what caused the peace deal to be reached or the fact that Putin is an oppressive, warmongering, corrupt, authoritarian, gay-hating bastard?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Maurepas wrote:

A bunch of dumb girls decide to dance and sing shitty songs in a place of worship, suddenly when they are given consequences for their actions then the western world erupts in self righteous outrage. It's not like they ever accomplished anything meaningful or deserved anyone's sympathy.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Georgia attacked South Ossetia, Russia intervened to defend people under attack from a trigger happy president shelling cities. Very justified.

The war resulted in the loss of a lot of civilian lives and it made the situation even worse.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Greater Vayland
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Vayland » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

My girlfriend, whose family hails from Grozny, would beg to disagree.
The Neo-Latin Union of Vayana
Français | Português | Español | Italiano | Român
CVNCTI ADSINT MERITAEQVE EXPECTENT PRAEMIA PALMAE
This nation's name is Vayana; not Greater Vayland.

Dialogue in this color is spoken in French
Dialogue in this color is spoken in Portuguese
Dialogue in this color is spoken in Spanish
Dialogue in this color is spoken in Italian
Dialogue in this color is spoken in Romanian

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't think so.

This sums up my opinion pretty well.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Maurepas wrote:Because when I award Nobel Peace Prizes, I like to do it based upon arguments traditionally reserved for rapists.

A bunch of dumb girls decide to dance and sing shitty songs in a place of worship, suddenly when they are given consequences for their actions then the western world erupts in self righteous outrage. It's not like they ever accomplished anything meaningful or deserved anyone's sympathy.

Yeah, dumb girls. I bet they have cooties too.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

They'll probably give Obama another one, or is it the pope's turn?
big chungus, small among us

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Maurepas wrote:Because when I award Nobel Peace Prizes, I like to do it based upon arguments traditionally reserved for rapists.

In Western Protestant churches, that's called the "Praise Band."

But seriously, no.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I don't think so.

The other stuff is small compared to what he prevented in Syria.

He prevented a strike from trying to end the war in Syria asap.
What he left was a civil war which can, and often do go on for years at greater cost to the people.
I dont think aiding the continuation of a war makes someone deserve a peace prize, but then I didnt think Obama should have gotten one either.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

The war resulted in the loss of a lot of civilian lives and it made the situation even worse.

it ended the war in five days and Saakeshvilli was sent back to lick his wound, this time with the full knowledge that the West was impotent to save him.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Frisivisia wrote:Because who cares about the fact that the US had a very large part in the proceedings and its actions are what caused the peace deal to be reached or the fact that Putin is an oppressive, warmongering, corrupt, authoritarian, gay-hating bastard?

Riiiight...after all, who cares about our Nobel-awarded, corrupt, warmongering, authoritarian President?
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Obama got one, so... it doesn't really matter, although I hope Obama doesn't get another one.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

Yeah, dumb girls. I bet they have cooties too.

cooties no, stds perhaps..
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Because who cares about the fact that the US had a very large part in the proceedings and its actions are what caused the peace deal to be reached or the fact that Putin is an oppressive, warmongering, corrupt, authoritarian, gay-hating bastard?

Riiiight...after all, who cares about our Nobel-awarded, corrupt, warmongering, authoritarian President?

You're just too edgy for me, son.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General