NATION

PASSWORD

Should Racism be a chargeable offense?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should racism be a chargeable offense?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:17 am

Yes
12%
No
67%
Depends on the case
20%

Total votes : 273

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Saint Panda wrote:Now, the last thing we need is a bunch of over sensitive idiots who take everything as offensive to start suing people. But, should undeniable racism be a chargeable offense? Hate crimes invoking murder, rape, theft, etc. could all be caused by racism (a general statement, all cases are different and completely unrelated to each other and don't always involve racism or anything of the like).

Should racism be charge able offense?
If so,
Should it be just a fine
Jail time?
Both?

If not, why?

I think it could but it would be abused by over sensitive idiots.

No, because racism is a mere feeling or belief, yes certain acts that are racist can enhance the culpability in other other crimes (like killing someone just for being black) but no beyond that certainly it shouldn't go. ;)

as to the speech element, yeah i mean incitement to commit crimes is a crime in and of itself regardless of any racial or other discriminatory motives. That said, generally most hate speech still falls under free speech and generally it should remain that way. :)

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:Despite the fact that I find racists to be sub-human, no. Anything, anything that affects free speech should not be touched unless it is both a concrete danger to society and easily identifiable. Even then, it's iffy.

Wait wait wait woah... So you're, in a way, racist against racists (lets just say racists are a race in this situation.)
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Red Team
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm

The Union of the West wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:Despite the fact that I find racists to be sub-human, no. Anything, anything that affects free speech should not be touched unless it is both a concrete danger to society and easily identifiable. Even then, it's iffy.

Wait wait wait woah... So you're, in a way, racist against racists (lets just say racists are a race in this situation.)

Yeah, I know some people like that. It's a very odd concept.

"We don't like these people because they don't like (insert race or group)."
You just got Sarged.

P.S. I'm not a Communist. It's not that kind of Red.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Red Team wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:Wait wait wait woah... So you're, in a way, racist against racists (lets just say racists are a race in this situation.)

Yeah, I know some people like that. It's a very odd concept.

"We don't like these people because they don't like (insert race or group)."

"I hate this person because he hates these people and hating is wrong"
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

CHUCK N0RRIS
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby CHUCK N0RRIS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

The Union of the West wrote:And how do you plan to teach people not to offend?

Simple education. Exposing them to the pains of racism and that all people are people despite their traits (e.g. race, skin color, sex) would be quite effective.
This is a fakeChuck Norris account.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:

Simple education. Exposing them to the pains of racism and that all people are people despite their traits (e.g. race, skin color, sex) would be quite effective.

I think a good way would be to teach about Civil War and Post-Civil War eras. And the horrors of racism (slavery, Jim Crow laws, etc...). Plus the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Red Team
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:

Awesome nation!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyways, they kind of already beat that stuff into the ground in schools. It's rather annoying actually and this type of stuff is the source of most remaining racial resentment (from my experience).
You just got Sarged.

CHUCK N0RRIS
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby CHUCK N0RRIS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Red Team wrote:Anyways, they kind of already beat that stuff into the ground in schools. It's rather annoying actually and this type of stuff is the source of most remaining racial resentment (from my experience).

I don't really see why being shown real experiences of victims of racism would encourage racism.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Red Team wrote:
CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:Simple education. Exposing them to the pains of racism and that all people are people despite their traits (e.g. race, skin color, sex) would be quite effective.

Awesome nation!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyways, they kind of already beat that stuff into the ground in schools. It's rather annoying actually and this type of stuff is the source of most remaining racial resentment (from my experience).

Yea it did get a bit annoying. And it's not just racial either.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:38 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:
Red Team wrote:Anyways, they kind of already beat that stuff into the ground in schools. It's rather annoying actually and this type of stuff is the source of most remaining racial resentment (from my experience).

I don't really see why being shown real experiences of victims of racism would encourage racism.

When something is hammered into one's head, one tends to dislike the nail, as well as the one doing the hammering.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Red Team
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:I don't really see why being shown real experiences of victims of racism would encourage racism.

When something is hammered into one's head, one tends to dislike the nail, as well as the one doing the hammering.

Exactly.
You just got Sarged.

CHUCK N0RRIS
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby CHUCK N0RRIS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 pm

The Union of the West wrote:When something is hammered into one's head, one tends to dislike the nail, as well as the one doing the hammering.

I agree that it would get annoying if the message is repeatedly sent, so maybe it could serve as a "reminder."

As well, I think we might be going a bit off-topic. Anyways, if we were to allow free speech/expression/opinion, then we must have to bear racism. Suppressing it is equivalent to suppressing free speech/expression/opinion.
Last edited by CHUCK N0RRIS on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 pm

No. Thought crime is bad.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:When something is hammered into one's head, one tends to dislike the nail, as well as the one doing the hammering.

I agree that it would get annoying if the message is repeatedly sent, so maybe it could serve as a "reminder."

As well, I think we might be going a bit off-topic. Anyways, if we were to allow free speech/expression/opinion, then we must have to bear racism. Suppressing it is equivalent to suppressing free speech/expression/opinion.

Amen.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Red Team
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:43 pm

CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:

So true, so true. The last thing we want is some ideological inquisition enforcing anti-racism and political correctness.
You just got Sarged.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Red Team wrote:
CHUCK N0RRIS wrote:I agree that it would get annoying if the message is repeatedly sent, so maybe it could serve as a "reminder."

So true, so true. The last thing we want is some ideological inquisition enforcing anti-racism and political correctness.

*cough* American public school system *cough*
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Red Team
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Red Team wrote:

*cough* American public school system *cough*

"Nobody expects the American Public School System!"
You just got Sarged.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Frankly, it isn't "equivalent" to suppressing free speech, it IS suppressing free speech.

Racists have the right to say racist shit. In exchange, we have the right to flip them off and call them assholes. That's free speech.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Little Flowers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Little Flowers » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 pm

You want to eliminate discrimination? File this with eliminating poverty & violence. Why don't you just eliminate humanity? It would sure be simpler.
#1 in NationStates: Most Armed, Most Crime, Least Safe, Least Eco-Friendly

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Red Team wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:*cough* American public school system *cough*

Indeed. Math class: 2+2=5
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Death Metal wrote:Frankly, it isn't "equivalent" to suppressing free speech, it IS suppressing free speech.

Racists have the right to say racist shit. In exchange, we have the right to flip them off and call them assholes. That's free speech.

Free speech: The right to tell someone to shut up and at the same time, the right to not shut up when someone tells you to.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Red Team
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Team » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Death Metal wrote:Frankly, it isn't "equivalent" to suppressing free speech, it IS suppressing free speech.

Seems fair. It's like any other person insulting you.
You just got Sarged.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Shaggai wrote:Well, both should be okay. Crimes based on racism, between any races, should be punished harsher, however.

I disagree. A crime is a crime. Don't waste time trying to figure out why they did it, and punish them.

Not necessarily true. If I murder someone for sleeping with my wife, that might only happen once. If I kill someone for being white, that's effectively a statement of intent to commit murder in the future. It might even be considered terrorism. Hate crimes are both crimes and threats to commit future crimes.
piss

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Shaggai wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:I disagree. A crime is a crime. Don't waste time trying to figure out why they did it, and punish them.

Not necessarily true. If I murder someone for sleeping with my wife, that might only happen once. If I kill someone for being white, that's effectively a statement of intent to commit murder in the future. It might even be considered terrorism. Hate crimes are both crimes and threats to commit future crimes.

I never thought of it that way. But I think all murderers should get life-sentences. (Even though I don't like the concept of public funded health, housing, and food for criminals)
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Red Team wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:*cough* American public school system *cough*

Yeah you know cause they do so well with the core curriculum and are surely able to handle teaching even more crap to kids who would probably rather not even be there. ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General