NATION

PASSWORD

Transgender-ism and Pronouns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should we call transgender persons 'it'

Yes
24%
No
71%
Not sure
5%

Total votes : 150

West Faristan2
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Transgender-ism and Pronouns

Postby West Faristan2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:33 am

During the discussion of Pvt. Manning the issue of pronouns and transgender issues came up. With some rather douchey members referring to Chelsea Manning as 'it'. So my question is is it acceptable to refer to someone who is transgender as 'it'?

My opinion is that it isn't acceptable.

Now lets see if we can reach a consensus on this issue faster that the Mods can.
DLN refusing to help a poster be cause he disagreed with her in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=265690

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 am

calling people it is bad regardless of the transgender context so
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 am

If and only if they specifically request to be referred to as "it".
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 am

West Faristan2 wrote:During the discussion of Pvt. Manning the issue of pronouns and transgender issues came up. With some rather douchey members referring to Chelsea Manning as 'it'. So my question is is it acceptable to refer to someone who is transgender as 'it'?

My opinion is that it isn't acceptable.

Now lets see if we can reach a consensus on this issue faster that the Mods can.

Absolutely not. People who do obviously don't know how it feels.
And as said above, calling people "it" is bad, period.
Last edited by Saveyou Island on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:39 am

That the mods are taking more than 2 weeks to reach a consensus on this is absolutely apalling.

As for pronouns, no, calling someone an "it" is not acceptable. Personally, I would refer to the person by the gender they identify with, but if someone refers to them by their sex, then I would find it acceptable as well. Acceptable in the sense that it is not insulting.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 am

No
/thread
A trans woman is as much a woman as a regular woman, and the same applies for trans men.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 am

Souseiseki wrote:calling people it is bad regardless of the transgender context so

but not actionable on NS Forums according to the mods so far ;)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Patriarch
Envoy

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Patriarch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:51 am

TaQud wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:calling people it is bad regardless of the transgender context so

but not actionable on NS Forums according to the mods so far ;)

Given that society at large is struggling with this I think it would be unfair to take formal action in that case

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 am

Patriarch wrote:

Given that society at large is struggling with this I think it would be unfair to take formal action in that case

Society at large is struggling with whether to refer to transgendered people by their sex or by their identified gender. Calling them "it" is unacceptable.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Patriarch
Envoy

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Patriarch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am

Keronians wrote:
Patriarch wrote:

Society at large is struggling with whether to refer to transgendered people by their sex or by their identified gender. Calling them "it" is unacceptable.

Nope the 'it' thiing is well and truly mixed in there too given that many, rightly or wrongly, feel trans people are neither male nor female and as such they chose a neutral pronoun
Last edited by Patriarch on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:58 am

Trans* people should be referred to by whatever pronoun they wish to refer to.

End of story.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:59 am

West Faristan2 wrote:Now lets see if we can reach a consensus on this issue faster that the Mods can.

Given that the majority of posters agree it's bad, I don't think this is a challenge we could lose.

Further: Why does it matter if the whole of moderation agrees? I mean, holy fuck, do their personal opinions really matter about what to call someone? Are they really that fucking inept at their job and unable to see their prejudice that they can't equate calling someone "it" to intentionally mislabeling someone? I mean, that's like calling Hippostania "Hippy" or anyone else some name they don't like.

Moderation, you are all trash at your job. Fuck your collective inability to make a decision in TWO FUCKING WEEKS.
password scrambled

Creativalsia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Creativalsia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 am

Tsuntion wrote:If and only if they specifically request to be referred to as "it".

This is also my opinion

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 am

I'll use whatever pronoun the person prefers I use to address them. It's as simple as that.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 am

Refer to people, trans or not, by whatever pronoun they prefer. Most people don't like being called an it, though, so avoid it. Don't be the douche who calls someone an it.
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 am

'They' is more proper and dignified. 'It' dehumanizes them and belittles them.
Seitonjin Jesangkut

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 am

Um....no?

Anybody who calls anybody "it" is a fucking douchebag.

We call animals "it", not people.
Forever a Communist

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 am

Too late because the mods reached a consensus on the issue DAYS ago.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 am

Seitonjin wrote:'They' is more proper and dignified. 'It' dehumanizes them and belittles them.

How is this a difficult concept for people? I mean, this is two sentences. 12 words. Simple. Concept.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 am

Bezombia wrote:Too late because the mods reached a consensus on the issue DAYS ago.

which was?
password scrambled

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 am

Condunum wrote:
West Faristan2 wrote:Now lets see if we can reach a consensus on this issue faster that the Mods can.

Given that the majority of posters agree it's bad, I don't think this is a challenge we could lose.

Further: Why does it matter if the whole of moderation agrees? I mean, holy fuck, do their personal opinions really matter about what to call someone? Are they really that fucking inept at their job and unable to see their prejudice that they can't equate calling someone "it" to intentionally mislabeling someone? I mean, that's like calling Hippostania "Hippy" or anyone else some name they don't like.

Moderation, you are all trash at your job. Fuck your collective inability to make a decision in TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

They are volunteers. They don't have to do this. They aren't getting paid for this, so calm down. Getting mad about it will only make it worse. I don't know what's going in moderation, but please calling them inept is not the right course if action.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:05 am

Lost heros wrote:
Condunum wrote:Given that the majority of posters agree it's bad, I don't think this is a challenge we could lose.

They are volunteers. They don't have to do this. They aren't getting paid for this, so calm down. Getting mad about it will only make it worse. I don't know what's going in moderation, but please calling them inept is not the right course if action.

No, it's the only course of action. They fucking suck at their job if it takes them two weeks to come up with a decision on something like this.

Edit: This is the first major time I've ever come out against moderation. I usually support them on most thing; I've been a moderator (elsewhere) before, I know what it's like. But this is unacceptable.
Last edited by Condunum on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
password scrambled

Heleventia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Heleventia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

Transgenders should be called 'it' as that would be grammatically correct. When you do not know the sex of an animal, you refer to it as 'it' like: The rat ate the grain. It was a naughty rat." Perhaps the same logic could for transgenders.
This is me here:

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 am

"It" /ɪt/ is a third-person, singular neuter pronoun (nominative (subjective) case and oblique (objective) case) in Modern English."

Therefore its fine to call a transgender person an 'it'
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:08 am

Condunum wrote: Condunum wrote:Given that the majority of posters agree it's bad, I don't think this is a challenge we could lose.

No, it's the only course of action. They fucking suck at their job if it takes them two weeks to come up with a decision on something like this.

So what are they supposed to do? Take 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds to make a major decision? :palm:

Anyways, back on the topic of pronouns, I will call them by their identified gender. If that person uses "she, her," et cetera, I use them. Likewise, if that person uses "he, him," et cetera, I use that.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General