NATION

PASSWORD

"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the phrase "under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes : 689

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Not according to the 9th Circuit court of appeals.

Even if it isn't ruled unconstitutional, I still think it should be removed out of respect to atheists, secularists, and polytheists.

"I want special privileges"
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Not according to the 9th Circuit court of appeals.

Even if it isn't ruled unconstitutional, I still think it should be removed out of respect to atheists, secularists, and polytheists.

Lets just scrap the pledge in general.

And if we can't do that, remove under God.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Warda wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx
*Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,001 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted March 26-28, 2004. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

That poll is almost ten years old.

Picky, picky.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Warda wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx
*Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,001 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted March 26-28, 2004. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

I wouldn't expect much movement on it however.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Not really.

Yes really. It's unconstitutional and should be removed.

Not according to both the first and ninth circuit court of appeals.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Even if it isn't ruled unconstitutional, I still think it should be removed out of respect to atheists, secularists, and polytheists.

Removed for respect of beliefs/=/I Want Special Privileges
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Even if it isn't ruled unconstitutional, I still think it should be removed out of respect to atheists, secularists, and polytheists.

WHAT special privileges?
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Vazdania wrote:

The real "special privilege" here is the privilege of Christians to ram their religion down everyone else's throats.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

That was the last time is was a national issue. I can't say I really think it's changed much though. I mean people got upset about Obama not saying God enough in his campaign speeches.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Vazdania wrote:

Well fine then, I want The statue of liberty removed from New York Harbor.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Warda wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I'd like a link to that study, please.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx

A poll from nine years ago is hardly the most compelling argument.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Warda wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I'd like a link to that study, please.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx

A lot can change in nearly 10 years.
Forever a Communist

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Vazdania wrote:

The real "special privilege" here is the privilege of Christians to ram their religion down everyone else's throats.

Monotheists*

and no it doesn't.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:"Under God" should be removed from the pledge, and "In god we trust" shouldn't be our motto. We could just change the god part to something like "In liberty we trust" or "In justice he trust" or "In freedom we trust" etc.

The original motto was E Pluribus Unum. Out of many, one.

It was never changed, it's never been the official motto.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

United Furry Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Furry Alliance » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm against having god in the pledge. We have a separation of church and state when I stopped doing the pledge because it had god in it I was told to damn stand and heck some teachers had the nerve to ask me to recite it some students look at me eyes filled with hatred.

Of course that was only in elementary and middle school. Possibly because I was in a small town at the time but still it was hard deal with.
Past-A small island nation of warrior monks
Modern-continent sized nation Run by Scholars.
Futuristic-Star sized mobile station that travels the multiverse run by scientists.
Pros-Science and democracies,USA(mostly),Atheism,Blueberries.
Cons-Religon,Monarchy,Cherries,

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Vazdania wrote:

On what grounds?
~~~~~~~~

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

A poll from nine years ago is hardly the most compelling argument.

k then go find a poll giving different data
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Vazdania wrote:

WHAT special privileges?

Because I'm group X and don't like Idea Y, Group Z should remove Idea Y.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Vazdania wrote:

Are you trying to prove a point or something?

Because that's hugely unrelated.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:That poll is almost ten years old.

I wouldn't expect much movement on it however.

Yeah. This is unlikely to go anywhere. I suspect it will remain even if most of America becomes nonreligious for sometime, because nobody really cares. Until somebody gets it to SCOTUS, they now shaped by public opinion, strike it down and 5% of people respond "huh, apparently we had a pledge."

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Warda wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:A poll from nine years ago is hardly the most compelling argument.

k then go find a poll giving different data

Burden of proof is on you.
~~~~~~~~

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Well fine then, I want The statue of liberty removed from New York Harbor.

On what grounds?

it constitutes an establishment of religion in New York.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes really. It's unconstitutional and should be removed.

Not according to both the first and ninth circuit court of appeals.

Not the full court, and as it has been noted, it ain't over till SCOTUS sings.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Vazdania wrote:
NERVUN wrote:WHAT special privileges?

It's more like group X doesn't want to have to be forced to follow the beliefs of Group Y.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Vazdania wrote:
NERVUN wrote:WHAT special privileges?

If idea Y is unconstitutional, then yes.
Forever a Communist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General