NATION

PASSWORD

"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should the phrase "under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes : 689

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 pm

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

These words were added to the Pledge in 1954 due to Cold War-era political pressure to differentiate America from the "godless commies" of the Soviet Union. However, this addition is growing more and more controversial due to its conflict with the principle of separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution. Supporters of the phrase's inclusion claim that because most Americans are Christian, the phrase is a simple reflection of the will of the people. However, opponents of the phrase's presence in the Pledge argue that it is violates the constitutional principles of church-state separation and freedom of religion, as well as that the US is not a Christian nation.

My opinion:
The addition of "Under God" to the Pledge was unacceptable even considering the circumstances of the Cold War, and now that the Cold War has long been over, it is especially egregious. America is not meant to be a Christian nation, and this is especially true nowadays considering that more and more Americans are not following the Christian religion. Based on Pew Research data from 2012, 27 percent of Americans are not followers of Christianity. When the many non-Christians of America have to recite the Pledge, they are being forced to acknowledge a religious deity that they do not believe to exist. Also, the phrase's presence in the Pledge contradicts freedom of religion and separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution.

So, what is your opinion? Should the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance stay, or should it go?

mod permission to repost this thread granted here
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 pm

1. You don't have to say it
2. God can refer to any god
3. I think it sounds better with it in it
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 pm

It presents an air of legitimacy to Monotheism by the government.
It needs to be removed.

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Your opinion is my opinion too.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Warda wrote:1. You don't have to say it

The government should not be taking any stance on religion and having 'under god' in the Pledge is taking a stance.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 pm

That's often not true.

Which doesn't change the fact that 21 percent of Americans do not adhere to any religion.

Why does that even matter?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 pm

My opinion.

Pretty much exactly what you said Regnum.

I mean, sure you don't have to do it, but that doesn't make it any less unconstitutional.
Forever a Communist

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

That's often not true.

Which doesn't change the fact that 21 percent of Americans do not adhere to any religion.

That's not even touching the fact that it excludes not only atheists, but polytheists as well.

Warda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

That's often not true.

1. If 1 isn't true you need to sue your school.
2. Then they dont have to say it.
3. CAUSE IT DOES OK
Nation Described As

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Warda wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:That's often not true.

3. CAUSE IT DOES OK

That doesn't make it any less unconstitutional.
Forever a Communist

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Remove it, for a nation that claims to have no state religion, it seems Christianity is the state religion due to the countless references of the Christian God in our government, having our president swear to oath with a bible etc.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Warda wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:That's often not true.

3. CAUSE IT DOES OK

1. It depends on how the pledge is said. At my elementary school, it was an entire school wide assembly in the morning and nobody gave a damn what you said. If it's a small classroom in the Bible Belt, however...
2. Again, refer to number one.
3. Yes, great argument here with no content substantive enough to uphold your point.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

"Under God" should be removed from the pledge, and "In god we trust" shouldn't be our motto. We could just change the god part to something like "In liberty we trust" or "In justice he trust" or "In freedom we trust" etc.

The Scientific States wrote:Remove it, for a nation that claims to have no state religion, it seems Christianity is the state religion due to the countless references of the Christian God in our government, having our president swear to oath with a bible etc.

I also think that we should stop the tradition/custom of swearing an oath to the bible. The US and all governments should be secular.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Pandeeria wrote:"Under God" should be removed from the pledge, and "In god we trust" shouldn't be our motto. We could just change the god part to something like "In liberty we trust" or "In justice he trust" or "In freedom we trust" etc.

The original motto was E Pluribus Unum. Out of many, one.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm

I honestly don't have a problem with it either way. Remove it, keep it, I'm really indifferent.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

These words were added to the Pledge in 1954 due to Cold War-era political pressure to differentiate America from the "godless commies" of the Soviet Union. However, this addition is growing more and more controversial due to its conflict with the principle of separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution. Supporters of the phrase's inclusion claim that because most Americans are Christian, the phrase is a simple reflection of the will of the people. However, opponents of the phrase's presence in the Pledge argue that it is violates the constitutional principles of church-state separation and freedom of religion, as well as that the US is not a Christian nation.

My opinion:
The addition of "Under God" to the Pledge was unacceptable even considering the circumstances of the Cold War, and now that the Cold War has long been over, it is especially egregious. America is not meant to be a Christian nation, and this is especially true nowadays considering that more and more Americans are not following the Christian religion. Based on Pew Research data from 2012, 27 percent of Americans are not followers of Christianity. When the many non-Christians of America have to recite the Pledge, they are being forced to acknowledge a religious deity that they do not believe to exist. Also, the phrase's presence in the Pledge contradicts freedom of religion and separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution.

So, what is your opinion? Should the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance stay, or should it go?

mod permission to repost this thread granted here

It should be removed, it's insertion was a McCarthy era violation of separation of church and state.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Warda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:I honestly don't have a problem with it either way. Remove it, keep it, I'm really indifferent.

I just don't want it to be replaced with something stupid.
Nation Described As

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Warda wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:I honestly don't have a problem with it either way. Remove it, keep it, I'm really indifferent.

Something stupid < Something Religious?
Last edited by Pandeeria on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Warda wrote:

As long as it's not "Yes we can", or some lame campaign slogan. I won't lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

1. Having it there is still close to state sponsorship of theism.
2. Not everyone believes in a God.
3. "Under glorious and beautiful God" sounds even better, does that mean we should change it to that?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Warda wrote:

Removing under god but keeping the rest sounds just fine.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Geilinor wrote:

1. Having it there is still close to state sponsorship of theism.
3. "Under glorious and beautiful God" sounds even better, does that mean we should change it to that?

Actually, that doesn't sound better. At all.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Warda wrote:

It will be removed and returned to its original state. Nobody wants to replace it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Geilinor wrote:1. Having it there is still close to state sponsorship of theism.

It was a bad attempt at sarcasm. :p

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Geilinor wrote:1. Having it there is still close to state sponsorship of theism.

How about 'Under Canada and above Mexico'?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General