NATION

PASSWORD

Those donuts are racist!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Gunstan wrote:Not Racist,

Stupid, yes. Racist, no.

I'm not sure how it's stupid?
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Well for starters that donut looks like shit.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Given the EXTENSIVE historical use of blackface as derogatory racial comedy in Thailand, I have no choice but to conclude this is racist.

:palm: Come on, people. Context is everything.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Ainin wrote:Well for starters that donut looks like shit.

Don't judge a donut by its looks.

Speaking of the donut, what exactly is a charcoal donut supposed to taste like?

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Rocopurr wrote:
Ainin wrote:Well for starters that donut looks like shit.

Don't judge a donut by its looks.

Burnt wood?
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Ainin wrote:
Rocopurr wrote:Don't judge a donut by its looks.

Burnt wood?

Maybe it's Activated Charcoal donuts. Great for when you've had too much booze.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ainin wrote:Burnt wood?

or liek maybe its dark chocolate
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Warda wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

or liek maybe its dark chocolate

Heresy.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:Given the EXTENSIVE historical use of blackface as derogatory racial comedy in Thailand, I have no choice but to conclude this is racist.

Oh, so contrary to the claims of all the people who were complaining about how it's not racist because blackface isn't a thing outside North America, it's actually a thing in Thailand?

I'm unfamiliar with Thai media, but that's useful information.

Warda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Dakini wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:Given the EXTENSIVE historical use of blackface as derogatory racial comedy in Thailand, I have no choice but to conclude this is racist.

Oh, so contrary to the claims of all the people who were complaining about how it's not racist because blackface isn't a thing outside North America, it's actually a thing in Thailand?

i know this may be shocking, but body paint isnt a new thing.
Nation Described As

Neoconstantius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Dakini wrote:

...that was sarcasm.
GO ILLINI

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Gauthier wrote:

Do you think this is a joke? Donuts are a serious matter, and I'd appreciate if you two treated them as such.

Warda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Guys what if she was trying to look like a ninja? :shock:
Nation Described As

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Warda wrote:Guys what if she was trying to look like a ninja? :shock:

Then Dunkin Donuts needs a new makeup department.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Warda wrote:
Dakini wrote:Oh, so contrary to the claims of all the people who were complaining about how it's not racist because blackface isn't a thing outside North America, it's actually a thing in Thailand?

i know this may be shocking, but body paint isnt a new thing.

...because the only use of body paint is blackface and minstrel shows. Thanks.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Dakini wrote:Oh, so contrary to the claims of all the people who were complaining about how it's not racist because blackface isn't a thing outside North America, it's actually a thing in Thailand?

...that was sarcasm.

Right. So you're claiming that it's okay for a US-based company is in the right for featuring blackface in their advertisements overseas?

That's what you're going with here?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Warda wrote:Guys what if she was trying to look like a ninja? :shock:

Then she failed miserably.

Ninja typically dressed like civilians.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Could I just point out that (1) Thai culture is different than American culture and things considered racist and/or offensive in America may not be considered as such in Thailand, (2) Thai standards of what is and is not offensive in an advertisement are not taken into account in America so why should American standards be forced onto Thai advertising, (3) thais may be unaware of American standards of racism and vice versa, and (4) no Thais (who would actually be the ones seeing the ad) complained about it.

Standards for what does and does not constitute racism vary throughout the world. There is usually very little reason to attempt to impose one country's standards of racism on another country (Apartheid South Africa would be an exception), and especially not over an advertisement that was in no way intended to offend or otherwise slight a group of people and is only under attack because it fails to adhere to the cultural standards of a country halfway around the world.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Neoconstantius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Dakini wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:...that was sarcasm.

Right. So you're claiming that it's okay for a US-based company is in the right for featuring blackface in their advertisements overseas?

Yep, pretty much.

When marketing to a population, one does not necessarily need to worry about offending the apparent cultural sensitivities of another. It doesn't make any sense. Had this ad been targeted at a US audience, then there's certainly reason to question it (I wouldn't venture so far as to beat the racism drum, however). But in this context, there was no outcry among the Thai population, nor is there any historical background of blackface being applied as a means of dehumanization in the country. Furthermore, I fail to see any implication or intent of racism in the aforementioned advertisement. Ergo, not racist.

Are we done here?
Last edited by Neoconstantius on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GO ILLINI

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Dakini wrote:Right. So you're claiming that it's okay for a US-based company is in the right for featuring blackface in their advertisements overseas?

Yep, pretty much.

When marketing to a population, one does not necessarily need to adhere to the apparent cultural sensitivities of another. It doesn't make any sense. Had this ad been targeted at a US audience, then there's certainly reason to question it (I wouldn't venture so far as to beat the racism drum, however). But in this context, there was no outcry among the Thai population, nor is there any historical background of blackface being applied as a means of dehumanization in the country. Ergo, not racist.

I don't think anyone has been claiming that the intent was to be racist. The ad is clearly problematic for a US-based company to produce anywhere and was rightly pulled in the same way a Chinese advert for BMW full of swastikas would be pulled.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Dakini wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:Yep, pretty much.

When marketing to a population, one does not necessarily need to adhere to the apparent cultural sensitivities of another. It doesn't make any sense. Had this ad been targeted at a US audience, then there's certainly reason to question it (I wouldn't venture so far as to beat the racism drum, however). But in this context, there was no outcry among the Thai population, nor is there any historical background of blackface being applied as a means of dehumanization in the country. Ergo, not racist.

I don't think anyone has been claiming that the intent was to be racist. The ad is clearly problematic for a US-based company to produce anywhere and was rightly pulled in the same way a Chinese advert for BMW full of swastikas would be pulled.

Given that Buddhism is (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) relatively popular in China, and that the swastika is a symbol of peace in Buddhism, I don't see why that should be a problem either. The ad would probably be written by the head of BMW in China. Just as this was probably written by the advertising department of Dunkin' Donuts Thailand.

Of course, given that BMW is a German company, the BMW HQ would probably never allow the example ad to be aired for obvious reasons (if the BMW HQ heard about it from BMW's Chinese headquarters, that is). But still it could be entirely acceptable in Chinese culture, thus I would see no problem with it.

If Dunkin' Donuts administration had pulled the ad of their own accord I would see no problem with this. When they're being coerced by outside groups to pull an ad that offends none of the actual target population, then I have a problem with that.

And you really can't compare the actions of Nazi Germany to those in the post-Reconstruction era US southeast. There's a major difference between the state-sponsored elimination of entire ethnic/religious groups and a long-standing cultural bias (admittedly an extreme one) against a people group.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

POLAND
STRONG!

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:05 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:
Dakini wrote:I don't think anyone has been claiming that the intent was to be racist. The ad is clearly problematic for a US-based company to produce anywhere and was rightly pulled in the same way a Chinese advert for BMW full of swastikas would be pulled.

Given that Buddhism is (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) relatively popular in China, and that the swastika is a symbol of peace in Buddhism, I don't see why that should be a problem either. The ad would probably be written by the head of BMW in China. Just as this was probably written by the advertising department of Dunkin' Donuts Thailand.

Of course, given that BMW is a German company, the BMW HQ would probably never allow the example ad to be aired for obvious reasons (if the BMW HQ heard about it from BMW's Chinese headquarters, that is). But still it could be entirely acceptable in Chinese culture, thus I would see no problem with it.

If Dunkin' Donuts administration had pulled the ad of their own accord I would see no problem with this. When they're being coerced by outside groups to pull an ad that offends none of the actual target population, then I have a problem with that.

What.

They did pull the ad of their own accord. Did you just read the OP which presented this ad as a "dark skinned person" and skip to the end of the thread or...?

And you really can't compare the actions of Nazi Germany to those in the post-Reconstruction era US southeast. There's a major difference between the state-sponsored elimination of entire ethnic/religious groups and a long-standing cultural bias (admittedly an extreme one) against a people group.

...I wasn't comparing to post-reconstruction era. If anything, the roots of blackface and minstrel shows are in slavery which involved abduction, cultural genocide, forced work and extensive abuse. Followed, of course, by widespread discrimination which persists to this day.

But you know, thanks for trying to pretend you know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Dakini on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Hippo,

You have said in the past that the sole responsibility of a business is to generate profit:

Hippostania wrote:
Caninope wrote:Additionally, a company's prime obligation is not producing maximum profit to shareholders.

Yes it is. Everything else is secondary.

And that's exactly what this business was doing. Consumers complained, and the company responded by doing what the consumers asked of them. If they had ignored the consumers, their bottom line would have suffered, and the company would have failed to generate maximum profit for its shareholders. To ignore the demands of these consumers would have been a blatantly anti-profit move, and you know it.

Stop being so hypocritical - or, should I say, hippocritical, and stop ignoring your own principles when it suits your "EVIL AMERICA-HATING LIBERALS" narrative.

But that's just the commie's two cents.
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Gauthier wrote:

Activated Carbon does everything!

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Dakini wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Given that Buddhism is (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) relatively popular in China, and that the swastika is a symbol of peace in Buddhism, I don't see why that should be a problem either. The ad would probably be written by the head of BMW in China. Just as this was probably written by the advertising department of Dunkin' Donuts Thailand.

What.

They did pull the ad of their own accord. Did you just read the OP which presented this ad as a "dark skinned person" and skip to the end of the thread or...?

Having read the whole OP before posting in the thread and having just re-read it after seeing your post, I got the impression that Dunkin' Donuts Thailand HQ was essentially coerced by Western groups into removing an ad that no one in Thailand viewed as offensive. That is not "pulling the ad of their own accord."

...I wasn't comparing to post-reconstruction era. If anything, the roots of blackface and minstrel shows are in slavery which involved abduction, cultural genocide, forced work and extensive abuse. Followed, of course, by widespread discrimination which persists to this day.

I'm still not quite seeing that as quite equal to the actions of Nazi Germany. Point taken however.
But you know, thanks for trying to pretend you know what I'm talking about.

Oh gee, you're welcome.

POLAND
STRONG!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General