NATION

PASSWORD

10 year old boy refuses to do the pledge of alleigence.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:06 pm

BrightonBurg wrote:Life is not fair. he's 10. not a adult, kids follow the rules. without a note excusing the little malcontent,he either leaves the class while the pledge is being said. period.

I don't consern myself with a 10 year olds "feelings."

Not a fan of the constitution, then?
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Alchia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alchia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:07 pm

I never was so big into the pledge as I am the national anthem. When I hear the national anthem playing, I stand to attention, look at the flag, and silently sing the song to myself.

I the the pledge itself is old and out-dated. Needs to be updated to read something like...

"I pledge best wishes to the people of the world, of which we are all one species in which we are all the same and only think there are differences, when whatever higher power - if any - sees us for what we are - the same."

But that's just me. lol

Redwulf
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Redwulf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Nadkor wrote:
BrightonBurg wrote:Life is not fair. he's 10. not a adult, kids follow the rules. without a note excusing the little malcontent,he either leaves the class while the pledge is being said. period.

Not a fan of the constitution, then?

Who needs the constitution? We gots us a pledge!
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Just remember, no one likes an asshole.
Don't make me serious. You wouldn't like me when I'm serious.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Cecilia Penifader wrote:I'm not saying that the kid doesn't believe in his argument or that he doesn't at least mostly understand the situation. I am saying, though, that 10-year-old children rarely form independent thoughts about complicated political and moral issues without some serious guidance.

Rubbish, 10-year olds can be hugely informed, it's just that they tend to focus on single issues, whether that's dinosaurs, politics or whatever.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Alchia wrote:I never was so big into the pledge as I am the national anthem. When I hear the national anthem playing, I stand to attention, look at the flag, and silently sing the song to myself.

I the the pledge itself is old and out-dated. Needs to be updated to read something like...

"I pledge best wishes to the people of the world, of which we are all one species in which we are all the same and only think there are differences, when whatever higher power - if any - sees us for what we are - the same."

But that's just me. lol

It actually was only mandated in the mid-1900's.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 pm

BrightonBurg wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:
BrightonBurg wrote:He is ten years old,he does not have a choice,he is under the age of majority,he either does the pledge OR wait outside the class until it is done, you don't pander to bloody 10 year old,you tell them what to do,if the parent gives the teacher a note saying he does not want his/her child doing the pledge,fine.

Then the 10 year old sits in the class with his gob shut while the pledge is done,simple and easy nice no fuss,BB solvled problems.heheh

My 3 cents..

Thats not fair* that he should have to remove himself from the class. Its a persons right not to say it, i believe some law stated so.

Plus, see it in this light: Hes removed from class, and feels like hes a different person from the norm, or majority of the class.

Life is not fair. he's 10. not a adult, kids follow the rules. without a note excusing the little malcontent,he either leaves the class while the pledge is being said. period.

* A BB rule of life.

Life is unfair, Life if pain,anyone who says different is trying to sell something,and Das BB AINT BUYING! :D

Except you neglect: there's no laws that force him to say it. Why should he separate himself? Because the teacher doesn't like it? And there are precedent that the school can't force anyone to say it. Basically, there's no obligation to say it besides social obligation circa the Cold War. There's also a social obligation to have a bachelor's party before a wedding. Should we ostracize people who choose not to?

I stopped saying the "in God we trust" part of the pledge in 5th grade because that's when I learned my religion doesn't have a God. I stopped saying the pledge in 7th grade altogether because I realized how silly it was. No one made a fuss, so I wasn't in the news. I'm sorry this kid isn't in the same situation.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Seculartopia wrote:
Alchia wrote:I never was so big into the pledge as I am the national anthem. When I hear the national anthem playing, I stand to attention, look at the flag, and silently sing the song to myself.

But that's just me. lol

And George W Bush was only born in the mid-1900s, and he's pretty done and dusted.

Peterbolton
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peterbolton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm

A cynic at 10 years old eh?
I wish I was like that at his age
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

I'm a music warrior, defending sound in the fight against silence.-Skye Sweetnam, Our Majesty

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

But that's just me. lol

And George W Bush was only born in the mid-1900s, and he's pretty done and dusted.

True. :p
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Nateistan
Envoy

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nateistan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Aren't those rules similarly the same for everyone? The Jews and Christians didn't make them up.

Didn't you know? Prior to Judaism, nobody thought that murder was wrong. The Jews invented that idea. Because, as we all know, it is perfectly easy for a stable society to form which allows murder.

Also Buddhism supported peace. Also, Jews kill in the Bible, and thought that God favored their race. And there were countries in Mesopotamia thinking murder was bad in the 2000's B.C.

actually I believe Jesus was the only person to ever think killing was wrong before his time. Also stealing. Which is probably why the Romans and Egyptians had such shitty civilizations.Cuz they could never figure out that killing was bad without Jesus there to help 'em.
I'm kidding
Alliances
N.A.T.E. High Commander and founder viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36686

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 pm

BrightonBurg wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:
BrightonBurg wrote:He is ten years old,he does not have a choice,he is under the age of majority,he either does the pledge OR wait outside the class until it is done, you don't pander to bloody 10 year old,you tell them what to do,if the parent gives the teacher a note saying he does not want his/her child doing the pledge,fine.

Then the 10 year old sits in the class with his gob shut while the pledge is done,simple and easy nice no fuss,BB solvled problems.heheh

My 3 cents..

Thats not fair* that he should have to remove himself from the class. Its a persons right not to say it, i believe some law stated so.

Plus, see it in this light: Hes removed from class, and feels like hes a different person from the norm, or majority of the class.

Life is not fair. he's 10. not a adult, kids follow the rules. without a note excusing the little malcontent,he either leaves the class while the pledge is being said. period.

* A BB rule of life.

Life is unfair, Life if pain,anyone who says different is trying to sell something,and Das BB AINT BUYING! :D

So because YOU don't like it, he should be punished? Sorry but that just sounds extremely non-American to me.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Nateistan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Aren't those rules similarly the same for everyone? The Jews and Christians didn't make them up.

Didn't you know? Prior to Judaism, nobody thought that murder was wrong. The Jews invented that idea. Because, as we all know, it is perfectly easy for a stable society to form which allows murder.

Also Buddhism supported peace. Also, Jews kill in the Bible, and thought that God favored their race. And there were countries in Mesopotamia thinking murder was bad in the 2000's B.C.

actually I believe Jesus was the only person to ever think killing was wrong before his time. Also stealing. Which is probably why the Romans and Egyptians had such shitty civilizations.Cuz they could never figure out that killing was bad without Jesus there to help 'em.
I'm kidding

It's true. Why do you think they killed Caesar? Not because they were worried about the return of a monarchy, but because they didn't know any better. And look where that got them. A monarchy in all but name. The lesson? Killing is bad, and we have Jesus to thank for that knowledge.

Tkdkidsx2
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tkdkidsx2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

THis... is.. bull crap.... I haven't said the pledge in 3 years! (Please note: I am 13 a the writing of this post)
Riaka wrote:Son, you've just entered the exciting and frightening world of religious debate. It's much like a roller coaster, in the sense that in the next few minutes there are going to many twists and turns, potential vertical inversion, a lot of crying children and someone's probably going to throw up at the end.

Wilgrove wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:Texas school book repositories are dangerous places.

JFK can attest to that! *nods*

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

I myself do not believe in gay or lesbian marriages, for which I will not explain. But I never really realized, that he's actually right. Liberty and Justice for ALL. Good for him, he realized a fatal flaw in our country. Whether that flaw should be fixed or not, I don't know. But people like that go on to become great citizens, who contribute to their country by giving it criticism.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Trippoli wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9I-36aim8

He refuses to do the pledge until everyone has freedom.

Sorry if it's already posted.

Kind of shocked that a boy his age was so open about these kind of things.

Good for him,smart boy... Now, where are the neo-cons and r-r's out to crucify him... And his dad looks proud of his smart son too BTW...
Such heroic nonsense!

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Nateistan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

I'm kidding

It's true. Why do you think they killed Caesar? Not because they were worried about the return of a monarchy, but because they didn't know any better. And look where that got them. A monarchy in all but name. The lesson? Killing is bad, and we have Jesus to thank for that knowledge.

What about the Buddha? He lived way before Jesus.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Alchia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alchia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Nadkor, he was kidding. The "show spoiler" button said so.

Killing has always been seen as wrong. Most of the laws in religions are just common sense. They exist in religion though because if its wrote down then it becomes law, not common sense. AND laws can have consequences. AND religions like having consequences, that causes fear and fearful people join out of fear.

Religion is and always has been a system hoping to convert as many as possible in as little time as possible, and will always be so.

We have non-religious laws so that the government can protect people from the breaking of common sense (Summed up as "Treat others as you wish to be treated" fairly well in EVERY religion) by enacting a revenge that can not be avenged.

One day, laws will not be written. They will once again be common sense. Hopefully.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
Nateistan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

I'm kidding

He was cool with killing because he always came back. He just assumed that's what happened with everyone else. Jesus showed us the way.

Remember, people, killing is wrong. Because Jesus said so. You wouldn't kill the baby Jesus, would you? Thought not. Don't Kill.

Nateistan
Envoy

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nateistan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
Nateistan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

I'm kidding

sorry but no dice, Jesus invented morality in his basement in about 10 minutes, while playing assassins creed 2.
Alliances
N.A.T.E. High Commander and founder viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36686

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Vitius wrote:I myself do not believe in gay or lesbian marriages, for which I will not explain. But I never really realized, that he's actually right. Liberty and Justice for ALL. Good for him, he realized a fatal flaw in our country. Whether that flaw should be fixed or not, I don't know. But people like that go on to become great citizens, who contribute to their country by giving it criticism.

Thanks for letting us know. You couldn't have resisted letting your bigotry showing, though, could you? It mars an otherwise vaguely interesting post.

The Sentenial Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sentenial Empire » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

He's a smart kid but I think he is only seeing his parent's side of it...I was raised simmilarly by my conservative parents and had simmilar views untill I actually realized certain things.
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.87
MEMBER OF THE GATESVILLE GUARD
NSEconomy
Military: 4.4% Population
93,500,000 Men and Women
Incident Level 1: Armed Conflict Imminent or Actively Occuring
"A decent plan now is better than a greater plan an hour from now."
Unibot wrote:First, what is a war-warmongering country? It sounds like an incredibly honorable thing, to declare yourself in a war against war at all times.
Waldo followers wrote:Cod wars?
sounds like a show on the discovery channel

Jordtopia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordtopia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Poor misguided boy. :(
Jordtopia is basically a combination of America during the early 20th century, the early stage of the Cold War, and modern America mixed together and topped off with a hint of Social Conservatism
Nation does indeed reflect my views
NOTE: I RP with a population of 1.5 billion. Keep that in mind.
One Big Ass Mistake America

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 pm

The Sentenial Empire wrote:He's a smart kid but I think he is only seeing his parent's side of it...I was raised simmilarly by my conservative parents and had simmilar views untill I actually realized certain things.

Your conservative parents were against saying the Pledge of Allegiance?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Hey, at least we don't sing "God Save the President." :P

:twisted:
Oh yes.... That's a great idea... The Republicans should love that.... :twisted:

"God Save the President!"

If you do not sing it, you let the terrorists win!
Such heroic nonsense!

Odhinnia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Odhinnia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Odhinnia wrote:I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and To the Republic for Which it stands, One nation under The Allfather Odin in Valhalla, Once Divided but now whole again.. despite bickering the bickering of republicans and democrats, with liberty and justice for all who can afford attorneys (Here's looking at you OJ Simpson).

:clap:
    DEFCON STATUS:
  • [5]: No Sign of Conflict
  • [4]: Conflict Perceived <-- Current Level -->
  • [3]: Light Military Skirmishing
  • [2]: Conventional Full Ground/Air Warfare
  • [1]: Tactical Nuclear/Biochemical Warfare

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General