NATION

PASSWORD

The Klan rides again in Mississippi

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Ainin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13975
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ainin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 pm

The Free Kingdom of Proprius wrote:...I think it's very important that we protect the KKK's rights.

Wait, what? Are you some sort of racist?

The Klan are a bunch of disgusting freaks. They also seem to have problems spelling the word "clan". But as long as they don't do anything illegal (like robbing a bank or inciting racial violence), they have the full right to make protests and use their freedom of speech. I think that we need to respect this right. We can't make the Klan an illegal organization or repress their freedom of speech without suppressing our own rights.

I think the "Hate Speech" idea is dangerous ground. At what point does denying Neo-Nazis and KKK members their racist rhetoric start curtailing our own rights? At what point do we create the power for someone to be arrested because they disagree with you?

I think you should put some salt on that slope. Might become too slippery.
Just a guy who does things. | IIwiki | Esquarium, a fun, realistic MT RP region. Join us!
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

User avatar
Dracoria
Senator
 
Posts: 4575
Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Ainin wrote:
The Free Kingdom of Proprius wrote:...I think it's very important that we protect the KKK's rights.

Wait, what? Are you some sort of racist?

The Klan are a bunch of disgusting freaks. They also seem to have problems spelling the word "clan". But as long as they don't do anything illegal (like robbing a bank or inciting racial violence), they have the full right to make protests and use their freedom of speech. I think that we need to respect this right. We can't make the Klan an illegal organization or repress their freedom of speech without suppressing our own rights.

I think the "Hate Speech" idea is dangerous ground. At what point does denying Neo-Nazis and KKK members their racist rhetoric start curtailing our own rights? At what point do we create the power for someone to be arrested because they disagree with you?

I think you should put some salt on that slope. Might become too slippery.


Considering even the ACLU has acted to protect hate groups' speech due to that argument...
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

User avatar
Ainin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13975
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ainin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ainin wrote:I think you should put some salt on that slope. Might become too slippery.


Considering even the ACLU has acted to protect hate groups' speech due to that argument...

So what? How does that affect anything?
Just a guy who does things. | IIwiki | Esquarium, a fun, realistic MT RP region. Join us!
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

User avatar
Dracoria
Senator
 
Posts: 4575
Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Ainin wrote:
Dracoria wrote:
Considering even the ACLU has acted to protect hate groups' speech due to that argument...

So what? How does that affect anything?


Just that a group with a large number of lawyers looked cases over and decided that this slope did, in fact, exist.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

User avatar
Ainin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13975
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ainin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ainin wrote:So what? How does that affect anything?


Just that a group with a large number of lawyers looked cases over and decided that this slope did, in fact, exist.

Wait, I'm confused here. Are you saying that the slope exists because the ACLU says so?


(Honest to goodness question, not an attempt to create a strawman)
Just a guy who does things. | IIwiki | Esquarium, a fun, realistic MT RP region. Join us!
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

User avatar
Dracoria
Senator
 
Posts: 4575
Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Ainin wrote:
Dracoria wrote:
Just that a group with a large number of lawyers looked cases over and decided that this slope did, in fact, exist.

Wait, I'm confused here. Are you saying that the slope exists because the ACLU says so?


(Honest to goodness question, not an attempt to create a strawman)


I'm taking issue with the appearance of your above reply being dismissive toward Proprius's statement. Frankly, the ACLU tends to side with 'victims' whatever they may be in the case at hand, and they -are- loaded with lawyers. If a group that would be so normally opposed to neo-nazis and and the klan stands up to protect them due to their lawyers warning it would supply a good precedent to shut down the First Amendment in other situations, they may be on to something.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

User avatar
Ainin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13975
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ainin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ainin wrote:Wait, I'm confused here. Are you saying that the slope exists because the ACLU says so?


(Honest to goodness question, not an attempt to create a strawman)


I'm taking issue with the appearance of your above reply being dismissive toward Proprius's statement.
There's a difference between dismissing an argument and a statement.

Frankly, the ACLU tends to side with 'victims' whatever they may be in the case at hand, and they -are- loaded with lawyers. If a group that would be so normally opposed to neo-nazis and and the klan stands up to protect them due to their lawyers warning it would supply a good precedent to shut down the First Amendment in other situations, they may be on to something.
...just like they may not be.

The ACLU's opinion proves absolutely nothing.
Just a guy who does things. | IIwiki | Esquarium, a fun, realistic MT RP region. Join us!
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

User avatar
Zakuvia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1989
Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zakuvia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Ainin wrote:The ACLU's opinion proves absolutely nothing.


Thank you. This nation gets it. Powerful as they undeniably are, the ACLU is still just a lobbying group, not a legislative element.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46


User avatar
Scholencia
Minister
 
Posts: 3017
Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm

South American Indochina wrote:http://www.vice.com/read/the-wizard-of-the-saddle-rides-again-000410-v20n5 The Article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUnobHHAKxo The Documentary

Just when I think that these maniacs would be gone for good, they start a strife about changing the name of a park. Joy.

What do you think would be the aftermath of this, NSG? Personally, I am worried that this would start something more significant. Just a nagging feeling, but still.

Liberals just need an enemy of their ideology to make the existence of their ideology makes sense; sometimes that habit turns into paranoia; in that purpose they will create a supposedly "Klan danger" as a scapegoat;. But, dont worry there wont be a Klan riding again.

I bet that every such liberal clown checks under his bed for a Klan member before going to sleep.
Last edited by Scholencia on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28799
Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Scholencia wrote:
South American Indochina wrote:http://www.vice.com/read/the-wizard-of-the-saddle-rides-again-000410-v20n5 The Article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUnobHHAKxo The Documentary

Just when I think that these maniacs would be gone for good, they start a strife about changing the name of a park. Joy.

What do you think would be the aftermath of this, NSG? Personally, I am worried that this would start something more significant. Just a nagging feeling, but still.

Liberals just need an enemy of their ideology to make the existence of their ideology makes sense; sometimes that habit turns into paranoia; in that purpose they will create a supposedly "Klan danger" as a scapegoat;. But, dont worry there wont be a Klan riding again.

I bet that every such liberal checks under his bed for a Klan member before going to sleep.


We don't check under our beds for monsters.

We try to dissuade people from believing in fairy tales.

Also, we know that the Klan is irrelevant. If anything, they exist to make the more common forms of racists feel better about themselves, giving them enough cover to say "Well, I'm not like THAT".

User avatar
Scholencia
Minister
 
Posts: 3017
Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Also, we know that the Klan is irrelevant. If anything, they exist to make the more common forms of racists feel better about themselves, giving them enough cover to say "Well, I'm not like THAT".

Also, you should ignore them and not give them publicity, by doing otherwise you just make a big deal from stupid stuffs. You also admit that the KKK is irrelevant, so you dont have to be paranoid about them. Also, the Crips from the videos are evil as the KKK, just as you are not worried about them your should also not be worried about the clan.

And yes, the Park of the Confederate general should not be renamed since he was not a racist, in fact it is otherwise, he was a humanist.

"KKK NOT BITE"
Last edited by Scholencia on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
South American Indochina
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 192
Founded: Aug 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby South American Indochina » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Scholencia wrote:
South American Indochina wrote:http://www.vice.com/read/the-wizard-of-the-saddle-rides-again-000410-v20n5 The Article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUnobHHAKxo The Documentary

Just when I think that these maniacs would be gone for good, they start a strife about changing the name of a park. Joy.

What do you think would be the aftermath of this, NSG? Personally, I am worried that this would start something more significant. Just a nagging feeling, but still.

Liberals just need an enemy of their ideology to make the existence of their ideology makes sense; sometimes that habit turns into paranoia; in that purpose they will create a supposedly "Klan danger" as a scapegoat;. But, dont worry there wont be a Klan riding again.

I bet that every such liberal checks under his bed for a Klan member before going to sleep.

Liberals need an enemy to scapegoat, eh? Is it not the same for American conservatives as well, being anti-LGBTQIA*, anti-immigration and anti-communist on their agenda?
DANSAI = The Democratic Allied Nations of South American Indochina. Call our people Dansaiyans.
Agnostic atheist, civic nationalist, direct democrat, free marketeer, green syndicalist, libertarian socialist, non-interventionist and a pirate politician.

User avatar
Sodankyla
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 144
Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sodankyla » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 pm

The KKK is quite a serious concept, but I agree that they're not too much of a threat in this era and likely these are all empty threats. However, the Memphis police force needs to be very well handled for a situation like this. The simplest and safest thing is to keep these hate speech activists in a nice compressed area with heavy security surrounding the perimeter at all times and if these hate protesters don't like it, then that's too damn bad. The city government and the state needs to take these threats with a more aggressive attitude because I think they're actually afraid of these incompetent and dumb neo-nazis. They say they'll call in gangs, then the state should say "ok, then we'll call in SWAT on your asses."
A simple Leninist and supporter of the vanguard party.

Pro: LGBT Rights, Abortion Rights only in cases of rape or likely maternal fatality, Economic Interventionism, Economic Protectionism, Worker's rights, Proletariat Dictatorship, Native Cultural maintenance in harmony with secular practice, Pragmatism.

Anti: Censorship in any and all forms, Neo-Liberal Capitalism, Idiocracy of the Masses, Globalism, Imperialism, Monarchies and nobility.

User avatar
L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9054
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:05 am

Can they ride, and chew gum, at the same time?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

User avatar
Skrewalkers
Envoy
 
Posts: 268
Founded: Aug 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skrewalkers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 am

Minarchist States wrote:From what we know of the Klan, they'll never die. They can only be reborn into a more terrifying form.


Like really racist Pokemon.

"Semi-Literate Pasty Bow Legged Hill-Billy with an AR-15, I choose you!!!"

User avatar
Disserbia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12012
Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 am

I think the klan and WBC should have a gay sex orgy with tons of Lenny Kravitz clones as strippers.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

User avatar
Skrewalkers
Envoy
 
Posts: 268
Founded: Aug 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skrewalkers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:17 am

Disserbia wrote:I think the klan and WBC should have a gay sex orgy with tons of Lenny Kravitz clones as strippers.


Won't be any more unsettling than Episode II.

User avatar
Draakonite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1782
Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:56 am

Sodankyla wrote:The KKK is quite a serious concept, but I agree that they're not too much of a threat in this era and likely these are all empty threats. However, the Memphis police force needs to be very well handled for a situation like this. The simplest and safest thing is to keep these hate speech activists in a nice compressed area with heavy security surrounding the perimeter at all times and if these hate protesters don't like it, then that's too damn bad. The city government and the state needs to take these threats with a more aggressive attitude because I think they're actually afraid of these incompetent and dumb neo-nazis. They say they'll call in gangs, then the state should say "ok, then we'll call in SWAT on your asses."


If i think of such situtuations, the Rascist are already surrounded by police... but to protect them from radical left-wingers.

User avatar
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28799
Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 am

Scholencia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Also, we know that the Klan is irrelevant. If anything, they exist to make the more common forms of racists feel better about themselves, giving them enough cover to say "Well, I'm not like THAT".

Also, you should ignore them and not give them publicity, by doing otherwise you just make a big deal from stupid stuffs. You also admit that the KKK is irrelevant, so you dont have to be paranoid about them. Also, the Crips from the videos are evil as the KKK, just as you are not worried about them your should also not be worried about the clan.

And yes, the Park of the Confederate general should not be renamed since he was not a racist, in fact it is otherwise, he was a humanist.

"KKK NOT BITE"


Forrest, the founder of the Klan, was not a racist?

User avatar
Vicswampia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1172
Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicswampia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am

Libertarian California wrote:Rednecks, the Kardashians, and gangsta rap.

'Merica.


Fuck yeah!
Last edited by Vicswampia on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
George Kaplan
Envoy
 
Posts: 297
Founded: Nov 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby George Kaplan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 am

Did the Klan ever go away?
"I am fucking awesome" -Me, 11/16/2011

"Fuck sympathy! I don't need your fuckin' sympathy, man, I need my fucking johnson!" -The Dude

Hot! Dickings!

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 101301
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

George Kaplan wrote:Did the Klan ever go away?

As an organization, yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_klux_klan
Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Hetalian Indie Rio de Janeiro
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10235
Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalian Indie Rio de Janeiro » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

George Kaplan wrote:Did the Klan ever go away?

Until a book/film that inspired people to be racist again caused its second or third phase, AFAIK, it was very very very very underground.
Aequalitia's bromancey mancrush.
Test: Seemingly, libertarian communism was renamed "social democracy"
Compass: economic left -9.85, social libertarian -8.97
Socio-Economic Ideology: Democratic Socialist (92% ditto/Marxist, 75% Anarchist/Social democrat, 0% etc)

Born 12/94. Weird in all senses starting at 07/2000. NSG's resident euro-carioca bara-fudanshi useless lazy perv. Agnostic atheist (not anti-religious), bi-affective homosexual/demiheterosexual (and bi-curious i.e. chronologically 95% bisexual-ish but 5% true bi), slightly more masculine of both tad neutral and tad ambiguous gender (human-/oneself-identified genderqueer; he, xe or ou, your preference), naturist, "worker" class, mildly hipster/japanophile, etc.

User avatar
Releign
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7696
Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Releign » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

Lol whut?
Why u care nao?
I mean, they have no power compared to these guys...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amaseia, Argotera, Bhang Bhang Duc, Bolkenia, Definitely Not Trumptonium, Diopolis, Ethel mermania, Fael Gehv, Genivaria, Heloin, Hurdergaryp, Ifreann, Jean-Paul Sartre, Loben The 2nd, Nea Byzantia, Ngelmish, Ostroeuropa, Outer Sparta, Page, Talvezout, The Emerald Legion, The New California Republic, Thomas More, Totally Not OEP, Vassenor, Window Land, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads