NATION

PASSWORD

The Mac Donald's Strike

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should minimum wage be raised?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Yes
51%
No
22%
No minimum wage
12%
Give everyone benefits but keep minimal
5%
Give more benefits and increase
10%

Total votes : 123

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:49 am

As a person whom works a Mickeydees, I don't think raising the minimum wage agains is a good idea.

Since this wage doesn't just increase it just specifically for Mickeydees, but it increases it for all places, which makes it harder for smaller and struggling new competition to inch it's way anywhere.

While it is always nice to be payed more, there tends to be less people working in the restaurant which makes my job and the jobs of others more valued. . .but incredibly more harder.

Also 15 dollars and hour is just silly. The best raise one gets is probably 10 cents every few months.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 pm

The Holy Michigan Empire wrote:As a person whom works a Mickeydees, I don't think raising the minimum wage agains is a good idea.

Since this wage doesn't just increase it just specifically for Mickeydees, but it increases it for all places, which makes it harder for smaller and struggling new competition to inch it's way anywhere.

While it is always nice to be payed more, there tends to be less people working in the restaurant which makes my job and the jobs of others more valued. . .but incredibly more harder.

Also 15 dollars and hour is just silly. The best raise one gets is probably 10 cents every few months.

15 is just a bargaining chip. When negotiating, you always ask for higher than you actually want, so you can negotiate down and seem like a reasonable person/group of people.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Albion Rhodesia
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Albion Rhodesia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Seperates wrote:
Albion Rhodesia wrote:
Considering that everything up in Canada is taxed, they may as well pay you a $100.00 an hour as minimum wage, as your socialized medicine will suck up a majority of your money, along with your crazy high state and federal tax you pay on all products purchased.

Yup. But then they have free healthcare benefits, along with a support system. And they likely get quite a bit back after taxes, if they are low wage, as what happens here in the states. Overall, though you may 'earn less' in Canada, you probably get more bang for your buck than you do here.

Considering the "quality" of Canadian Healthcare, I'll take my private insurance any day of the week, because at least I know that I'll receive quality medical care, instead of waiting in line, and hoping and praying that the Government Run System doesn't reject my claim, because they couldn't give a damn about your treatment, since you're only a number to them, unlike at least with private insurance where you're a customer and have some rights to recourse.

Also, I don't know how low income earning works in Canada, but a majority of low income people in the United States have a ton of federal programs to fall back on, so I don't think it's much better in that regard.

Finally, I don't see how you get more bang for your buck in Canada, since you're making less, getting paid less, and paying more up front to the government, to live on food stamps in government housing...doesn't sound too appealing to me.
Embassies of the Dominion of Albion Rhodesia:
The Constitutional Monarchy of Third Mexican Empire

Divided America
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Divided America » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm

This is what happens when you don't go to school kids.
My nation is supposed to have a Powerful Economy. If you don't like it then Boo Hoo

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Divided America wrote:This is what happens when you don't go to school kids.

Because there's a huge stack of college degree jobs that are gathering dust waiting to be filled. Uh oh...
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:25 pm

The thing about raising minimum rage means it makes everything cost more, therefore making the raise worthless and making it so another is "required" and will again ultimately become worthless.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Hornesia wrote:The thing about raising minimum rage means it makes everything cost more, therefore making the raise worthless and making it so another is "required" and will again ultimately become worthless.

And yet, Costco is not only staying in business, it's making record profits.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Hornesia wrote:The thing about raising minimum rage means it makes everything cost more, therefore making the raise worthless and making it so another is "required" and will again ultimately become worthless.

And yet, Costco is not only staying in business, it's making record profits.

Yes, but they're not paying minimum wage now, are they? Once you raise it across the board, it drives up prices.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm

It's like not bothering to stop and think about something beyond a knee-jerk, prima facie assessment (if even that much) is a badge of pride for you...
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Gauthier wrote:Because there's a huge stack of college degree jobs that are gathering dust waiting to be filled. Uh oh...

Indeed, what is the point of going to college if it won't make you any better off financially? It is an investment based off of the fact that statistically speaking, a higher level of education insulates you from the risk of unemployment- provided you pick the right career field.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Because there's a huge stack of college degree jobs that are gathering dust waiting to be filled. Uh oh...

Indeed, what is the point of going to college if it won't make you any better off financially?

I don't know. What's the point of going to see a movie if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of taking that vacation to Disney World if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of stuffing dollar bills into Foxxy Bubbles's bra if it won't make you any better off financially?

It is an investment.

Only if you choose to view it that way.

Those who actually belong in college, don't.

Your ridiculous, depraved, and immoral instrumentalism is part of the problem.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
Indeed, what is the point of going to college if it won't make you any better off financially?

I don't know. What's the point of going to see a movie if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of taking that vacation to Disney World if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of stuffing dollar bills into Foxxy Bubbles's bra if it won't make you any better off financially?

It is an investment.

Of course the obcessive focus on technical fields for careers as opposed to liberal arts doesn't help.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Gauthier wrote:Of course the obsessive focus on technical fields for careers as opposed to liberal arts doesn't help.

You want more people taking liberal arts? How about the fact that they would, if careers using liberal arts actually paid well enough to justify the cost of the tuition for a liberal arts education? Quite simply, the technical fields are where the demand and future economic growth is.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 am

Distruzio wrote:
Saint Kitten wrote:Benefits as in payed vacation, longer leaves, etc. only applying to lower end jobs (again, no offense to anyone)

ABC News
New York Times
USA Today
Feel free to pick which ever news source you wish, I picked the major ones.

So, basically, these workers that are employed by Mac Donald's are striking about their pay. They (assuming everyone in the protest is on the same page) want to be payed $15.00 an hour instead of the minimal wage of $7.25 depending on your state.

USA Map of wages

So, do you agree that they should be payed more?
Should it be kept the same?

Opinions, more facts, and other fun related stuff dealing with Mac Donald's strikes is what this topic is about.

No. They should not be paid more. They earn what their labor skills are valued at.

And what's it valued at?
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 am

They should be striking about the ground up torture, hatred and mistreatment they serve between two buns.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 am

One of the problems with legislated wage scales is that a worker in Hornell NY can live quite handsomely on $40k per year while one in NYC would be in bad shape. How can you make a universal standard, then? Regionalize it somehow?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Empire of Vlissingen
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Vlissingen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:11 am

Yes but the minimum wage should be raised to 10$
I live in The Netherlands.
Economic Left/Right: 4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:55 am

Pope Joan wrote:One of the problems with legislated wage scales is that a worker in Hornell NY can live quite handsomely on $40k per year while one in NYC would be in bad shape. How can you make a universal standard, then? Regionalize it somehow?

Make it slightly higher than the cost of living in the county/county equivalent.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:59 am

Saint Kitten wrote:
Blasveck wrote:What's your opinion, OP?

15 is a lot for just handing out burgers (no offense, have to do what you have to do), I guess if you work there a while a pay raise should be a question but 15 is kinda high

They ask for $15 hoping to get $10.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 am

Divided America wrote:This is what happens when you don't go to school kids.

Or when you do and you can't pay for it..

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 am

Well, the costs are rising to such an extent that a 7.25 bucks an hour tab will almost certainly require some housing assistance to get by even though it is an entry-level job. Raising it to 10 would be prudent which I think will be the ultimate goal. Making it go up over twice as much however is not going to happen.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 am

If the minimum wage rose in pace with the rise in top level salaries it would have broken $26 an hour by 2006, so I see no problem with their demands and I don't think they go far enough.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:35 am

Gauthier wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:I don't know. What's the point of going to see a movie if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of taking that vacation to Disney World if it won't make you any better off financially? What's the point of stuffing dollar bills into Foxxy Bubbles's bra if it won't make you any better off financially?

Of course the obcessive focus on technical fields for careers as opposed to liberal arts doesn't help.

I didn't choose STEM - STEM chose me.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 am

We could shut down McDonalds and encourage citizens to eat healthier.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:We could shut down McDonalds and encourage citizens to eat healthier.
You but that would upset a lot of people
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General