NATION

PASSWORD

The Official Syria (and all things about it) Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Dangelia wrote:Syriac Christianity. Ther's a difference.

I was referring to Syrian Christianity in general, not just Syriac Orthodoxy.

OK. The poor people. The two kidnapped bishops have been under captivity for overnight 100 days.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:
How about we don't have one enermous monsterous military riding around the world totally unchallenged? Let's not have US military force dictating the legitimacy of other governments.

So you are ok with governments that are run by people like Omar al-Bashir, Pol Pot, etc. because they are the "legitimate" government?

Sorry, when a government starts to murder its own people over trivial things like Religion, politics, or whatever, it lose its legitimacy.

Last i checked armed combatants killing armed combatants is called warfare, not "murder"
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Dangelia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Orcoa wrote:So you are ok with governments that are run by people like Omar al-Bashir, Pol Pot, etc. because they are the "legitimate" government?

Sorry, when a government starts to murder its own people over trivial things like Religion, politics, or whatever, it lose its legitimacy.

Last i checked armed combatants killing armed combatants is called warfare, not "murder"

The rebels are also killing civilians.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Killing thousands in a civil war isn't a good reason to do something?

US has stated it would be "limited strikes, with no regime change" as the end game.

Basically - bomb Syria a bit and then leave.

Hundreds, if not thousands of civilians will die as US collateral and no significant change will be achieved.

"Assad killed people the wrong way, so we'll go kill them the right way" - imperialist US war machine
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Orcoa wrote:So you are ok with governments that are run by people like Omar al-Bashir, Pol Pot, etc. because they are the "legitimate" government?

Last I checked, sending tanks in to a demonstration in order to break it up got China in some hot water.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:I was referring to Syrian Christianity in general, not just Syriac Orthodoxy.

OK. The poor people. The two kidnapped bishops have been under captivity for overnight 100 days.

Indeed. Not to mention this news which surfaced earlier today: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-576 ... n-village/

Simply atrocious.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Dangelia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Killing thousands in a civil war isn't a good reason to do something?

US has stated it would be "limited strikes, with no regime change" as the end game.

Hundreds, if not thousands of civilians will die as US collateral and no significant change will be achieved.

"Assad killed people the wrong way, so we'll go kill them the right way" - imperialist US war machine

:rofl:
I just put it in my sig.
Last edited by Dangelia on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Srboslavija wrote:

It's ok when you do it with a remotely piloted terror-robot or a ship or something they can't fight back against, but not when you actually fight in the streets. Yay America.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Dangelia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Dangelia wrote:OK. The poor people. The two kidnapped bishops have been under captivity for overnight 100 days.

Indeed. Not to mention this news which surfaced earlier today: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-576 ... n-village/

Simply atrocious.

This is what the government needs to put a stop on.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:

The rebels are also killing civilians.

Indeed they have. FSA is going to go the same was as the RUF in Sierra Leone, brutality for sake of brutality.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Orcoa wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:
Another good point, but as I've said countless times we shouldn't jump straight to force and military intervention.

Sometimes to not use force allows people like Assad or Omar al-Bashir to get away with murder and crimes agasint Humanity.

I would hate to see the world if we decided to not fight in WW2 agasint Hitler because the Anti-War groups got their way.

War is a horrible terrible thing that should never been used...but the world is never perfect so when duty calls, we have to choose either to fight or to allow monsters to get away with their crimes...I would pick fighting everytime.

Erm, you do realize that anti-war groups initially got their way, and Hitler still lost, right? Did you miss all of your history lessons, or just part of them?

Since people love comparing this to Hitler, let me point out the differences.

Prior to 1938, (that's before the end of December, 1937,) Hitler was just your average European Politician. He wasn't even the worst. Just ask the Congolese. Anyways, Hitler's Crimes began to manifest in 1938. And that was the year to take him down. In 1938, Hitler could've been stopped, because there was:

1. A clear aggressor, beyond a reasonable doubt: Hitler demanded that Czechs & Slovaks give him land!
2. A coalition willing and ready to fight: Romania, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, USSR & France.

Are any of those terms met here? Where's the coalition? The French, with no popular domestic support? War weary Americans? And where's the proof? "Oh, we said so, we know more!" Doesn't count.
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Dangelia wrote: The rebels are also killing civilians.

Indeed they have. FSA is going to go the same was as the RUF in Sierra Leone, brutality for sake of brutality.

Or the UNITA in Angola, or the contras in Latin America... need I say more?

The FSA is so vile I can be compared to those examples. (May Bashar smite them all)

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!
Imperialism makes monsters out of Man. - Comrade Ernesto Che Guevara.
Allah, Souriya, Bashar w bas! - EPIC
Basically, this. Our form of gov..
NS wars: 1/1/1/1.
USSR/Yugo HDIs 1992 - Haters are going to hate
EPIC 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Hezbollah Compass TRUTH

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Srboslavija wrote:

So where is your sources for our strikes that will be launched at civilians?

Oh and I love your little Imperialist US war machine and how you seem to enjoy Russia a bit. Let me remind you who is imperialist again.
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Chechen_War[/url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Chechen_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Ossetia_war
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

I just put it in my sig.

:rofl: I might as well too.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

Oh and I love your little Imperialist US war machine and how you seem to enjoy Russia a bit. Let me remind you who is imperialist again.
[url]

:rofl: Russia has only intervened in five wars (most of whom she was unwittingly dragged into), compared to more than 160 by the American government, or many more if you add our European governments into the equation.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

[url]

Right. Because defending your own citizens against radical Islamist separatists is imperialism now. Better go change the dictionary.
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Neville, is that you?

Neville had a coalition ready to go, against a clear aggressor. It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Hitler was guilty, and Czechs and Slovaks were innocent. All I'm asking for, is the same standard of proof. But you're not giving that to me. All you're saying is "I said so, trust me!" That's not going to win my support.

He had a piece of paper proving Hitler wasn't going to act further.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Sometimes to not use force allows people like Assad or Omar al-Bashir to get away with murder and crimes agasint Humanity.

I would hate to see the world if we decided to not fight in WW2 agasint Hitler because the Anti-War groups got their way.

War is a horrible terrible thing that should never been used...but the world is never perfect so when duty calls, we have to choose either to fight or to allow monsters to get away with their crimes...I would pick fighting everytime.

Erm, you do realize that anti-war groups initially got their way, and Hitler still lost, right? Did you miss all of your history lessons, or just part of them?

How many more people were slaughtered by Hitler after FDR finally intervened and before Berlin fell?

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

[url]

Georgia started the last one, just saying.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

[url]

First Chechen War - Chechnya rebels against Russia. Apparently putting down a revolt is imperialist, right? So tell me, Orcoa, was Abraham Lincoln an Imperialist Pig?

Second Chechen War - Chechnya, after de facto independence, attacks Dagestan, an integral part of Russia, and informs Russia that they'll be annexing quite a bit of Russia, to expand themselves.

Ossetian War - started by Georgia.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Orcoa wrote:So where is your sources for our strikes that will be launched at civilians?

[url]

Right. Because defending your own citizens against radical Islamist separatists is imperialism now. Better go change the dictionary.

Thank you.

Shofercia wrote:
Orcoa wrote:So where is your sources for our strikes that will be launched at civilians?

[url]

First Chechen War - Chechnya rebels against Russia. Apparently putting down a revolt is imperialist, right? So tell me, Orcoa, was Abraham Lincoln an Imperialist Pig?

Second Chechen War - Chechnya, after de facto independence, attacks Dagestan, an integral part of Russia, and informs Russia that they'll be annexing quite a bit of Russia, to expand themselves.

Ossetian War - started by Georgia.

Very true.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:49 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Neville had a coalition ready to go, against a clear aggressor. It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Hitler was guilty, and Czechs and Slovaks were innocent. All I'm asking for, is the same standard of proof. But you're not giving that to me. All you're saying is "I said so, trust me!" That's not going to win my support.

He had a piece of paper proving Hitler wasn't going to act further.

Not enough. And again, the situation now is different from what Chamberlain had: Obama's allies are scant, and we don't know who used chemical weapons, we don't even know if they were deliberately used!

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:He had a piece of paper proving Hitler wasn't going to act further.

Not enough. And again, the situation now is different from what Chamberlain had: Obama's allies are scant, and we don't know who used chemical weapons, we don't even know if they were deliberately used!

"Oooooops, I accidentally hit the GREEN button instead of the RED button!"

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

How many more people were slaughtered by Hitler after FDR finally intervened and before Berlin fell?

Quite a bit. Mostly civilians. Many more than were slaughtered before FDR's Intervention.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

"Oooooops, I accidentally hit the GREEN button instead of the RED button!"

Shofercia wrote:
Ghouta, Syria...

“My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of a rebel fighting to unseat Assad, who lives in Ghouta. Abdel-Moneim said his son and 12 other rebels were killed inside of a tunnel used to store weapons provided by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha, who was leading a fighting battalion. The father described the weapons as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.” Ghouta townspeople said the rebels were using mosques and private houses to sleep while storing their weapons in tunnels. Abdel-Moneim said his son and the others died during the chemical weapons attack. That same day, the militant group Jabhat al-Nusra, which is linked to al-Qaida, announced that it would similarly attack civilians in the Assad regime’s heartland of Latakia on Syria’s western coast, in purported retaliation.“They didn’t tell us what these arms were or how to use them,” complained a female fighter named ‘K.’

“We didn’t know they were chemical weapons. We never imagined they were chemical weapons. When Saudi Prince Bandar gives such weapons to people, he must give them to those who know how to handle and use them,” she warned. She, like other Syrians, do not want to use their full names for fear of retribution. A well-known rebel leader in Ghouta named ‘J’ agreed. “Jabhat al-Nusra militants do not cooperate with other rebels, except with fighting on the ground. They do not share secret information. They merely used some ordinary rebels to carry and operate this material,” he said. “We were very curious about these arms. And unfortunately, some of the fighters handled the weapons improperly and set off the explosions,” ‘J’ said.
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General