NATION

PASSWORD

The Official Syria (and all things about it) Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Warda wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Christians are worth more than others?

I think he's talking about the targeted killings part, which I also hear is a no no in UN land.

I have yet to see a source, and I doubt I'll see a source that it's all rebel groups doing this.

Of course, it does nothing to the fact that Assad gassed civilians, a decidedly douchey thing to do.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Dangelia wrote:
I think the rebels used the chemical weapons and then they pointed the finger to Assad.

Got any evidence?

Do you?
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Dangelia wrote:
I think the rebels used the chemical weapons and then they pointed the finger to Assad.

Doubt it.

It's extremely likely that Assad used chemical weapons against his own people.

Why would Assad use chemical weapons on his own people.
First of all he knows that America would take charge if he used chemical weapons.
And second, if you're going to use them, use them on the rebels.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Dangelia wrote:
I don't support the rebels either. Another reason I don't want to intervene.

But chemical weapons against ordinary people? That is a problem, but it is one we shouldn't solve with military force and more weapons.

Probably. Can't see any motive the legitimate government could have. The rebels have a strong motive, and have used such weapons before, according to UN investigators anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAT9z278kTc
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Dangelia wrote:
If Assad is evil, than the rebelion us demonic. They kill, exil, and kidnap Christians.

I don't support the rebels either. Another reason I don't want to intervene.

But chemical weapons against ordinary people? That is a problem, but it is one we shouldn't solve with military force and more weapons.

Although I wouldn't say the rebels are demonic. They don't kill Christians.

If the UN does not want to keep Governments from using Chemical weapons that are agasint Laws that they made, then I can understand why our government wants to at lest pay lip service to those laws and enforce them.
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Orcoa wrote:For some who are anti-war, yes it is I guess

I'm as anti-war as the next guy, but I also happen to be anti use of chemical weapons on civilians as well.

Then present evidence as to who used them, evidence that's beyond a reasonable doubt. Apparently when America bombs it's not "innocent before guitly," it's "guilty cause we say so!" The problem with that precedent, is that the top dogs can change. And you really want to hand that precedent to China, Joe?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Dangelia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Warda wrote:I think he's talking about the targeted killings part, which I also hear is a no no in UN land.

I have yet to see a source, and I doubt I'll see a source that it's all rebel groups doing this.

Of course, it does nothing to the fact that Assad gassed civilians, a decidedly douchey thing to do.

Assad granted Christians freedom to worship.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Doubt it.

It's extremely likely that Assad used chemical weapons against his own people.

First of all he knows that America would take charge if he used chemical weapons.

Why? Maybe because of the mass protests and the civil war in Syria where the rebels are trying to take over.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Warda wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
Got any evidence?

Do you?

He made the claim first.

He provides the evidence first.

That how debate works.
Forever a Communist

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Video proof that John Kerry is actually a reptoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvzWh5r6PU
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I have yet to see a source, and I doubt I'll see a source that it's all rebel groups doing this.

Assad granted Christians freedom to worship.

So?
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Christians are worth more than others?

They were killing Christians, just because they're Christians. That's pretty evil.

I'm going to need a source that it happened and a source that it's every single rebel group and not a particularly bad outlier. As it would turn out, largely unorganized rebel groups are not monolithic.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Orcoa wrote:Not a bad thing, to each person's own.

Me? I guess I'm more anti-useless wars but not agasint War itself.

I see where you're coming from.

My family has a long history with the military so I understand a thing or two about War and how it can be used for both legitimate problems or be used to further the greed of groups of people that have a say in the military.
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Dangelia wrote:

Why? Maybe because of the mass protests and the civil war in Syria where the rebels are trying to take over.

"lul, i'm winning a civil war through conventional means and the west can do shit all to stop me, better use chemical weapons to give them a reason to stop me!!"

- yeah, great motive. Rebels have used chemical weapons before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAT9z278kTc (BBC)
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I'm as anti-war as the next guy, but I also happen to be anti use of chemical weapons on civilians as well.

Then present evidence as to who used them, evidence that's beyond a reasonable doubt. Apparently when America bombs it's not "innocent before guitly," it's "guilty cause we say so!" The problem with that precedent, is that the top dogs can change. And you really want to hand that precedent to China, Joe?

Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

Dangelia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Dangelia wrote:They were killing Christians, just because they're Christians. That's pretty evil.

I'm going to need a source that it happened and a source that it's every single rebel group and not a particularly bad outlier. As it would turn out, largely unorganized rebel groups are not monolithic.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/securit ... tails.html

Two bishops were kidnapped by the rebels.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Orcoa wrote:
I see where you're coming from.

My family has a long history with the military so I understand a thing or two about War and how it can be used for both legitimate problems or be used to further the greed of groups of people that have a say in the military.

Exactly. Some wars can be justified, some can not be justified.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Blasveck wrote:
What happened?

I haven't been able to catch up.

Some bad shit happened.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 82120.html

Senate has backed a resolution to use force against Syria, we took a huge step to military action today.

Good, good, good.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

So does the boss want to strike or not?

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I'm going to need a source that it happened and a source that it's every single rebel group and not a particularly bad outlier. As it would turn out, largely unorganized rebel groups are not monolithic.

Thousands of civilians were killed by chemical weapons.

Your point?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:

"lul, i'm winning a civil war through conventional means and the west can do shit all to stop me, better use chemical weapons to give them a reason to stop me!!"

- yeah, great motive. Rebels have used chemical weapons before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAT9z278kTc (BBC)

That's an old report. Current intelligence and the common sense that rebels don't have the equipment for it suggests that that's wrong.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

So does the boss want to strike or not?

I sure hope he will. Can't have motherfuckers gassing people.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Some bad shit happened.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 82120.html

Senate has backed a resolution to use force against Syria, we took a huge step to military action today.

Good, good, good.

No, not good.

Although I do support some consequences for the Syrian Government, and war should be last resort.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Dangelia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I'm going to need a source that it happened and a source that it's every single rebel group and not a particularly bad outlier. As it would turn out, largely unorganized rebel groups are not monolithic.

So now ALL the rebels hate Christians?

Fucking hell.
Forever a Communist

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Dangelia wrote:

My post had two sentences. Can you remind me what the second one was?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General