NATION

PASSWORD

Russia - Gay Rights - Sochi Olympics Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be done in response to Russia's recent suppression of gay rights and right to assemble?

Move the Olympics to a different country
19%
Boycott the Olympics
12%
Create the most fabulous Olympics ever
27%
Economic and trade sanctions until the crackdown on rights ends
13%
Go to war with Russia
5%
Nothing - Russia has the right to crack down on gay rights and right to assembly if they so choose
24%

Total votes : 769

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Oh yeah. And good luck arresting them all.

Just think how powerful it will be when a winner of a gold medal says "I support the struggle of the LGBT community in Russia" then gets dragged off by Russian police in full view of cameras.

There's no way they'd do that, they know it would look even worse for them...right?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
To be fair, they probably won't arrest them at first. They'll beat the shit out of them, then they will arrest them.

Russia loves Tourism. You have to be deluded to think that we're going to beat up thousands of Tourists.

*cough Putin's lapdog*

But the question is do they hate ze gayz more?

Don't worry I'll wait as you forward this question to the Politburo! Undoubtedly Russia is innocent in all of this and should get a Nobel Peace Prize, just cuz.

Brocwika
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Why do I feel like one of the biggest acts of civil disobedience is gonna happen because of this.

Don't get your hopes up. Russia and "civil disobedience" do not compute without bloodshed. And they're shameless enough to quell any protests if they have to, even with the entire world judging them.
Vintery, Mintery, Cuttery, Corn
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
One flew east, one flew west...
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

My Website (it's not finished but check it out)

Reddogkeno101
Senator

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Reddogkeno101 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Reddogkeno101 wrote:Classic Russia; when the West is progressing forward socially, they go backwards... I think there should be a petition for at least some Western nations to boycott the Olympics. I've had it with these socially backward Russians.

I've heard that it's apparently too late to change the location and boycotting wouldn't be fair to the athletes.

Frankly, in my opinion, the struggles of the gay and lesbian communities is far bigger than any athletes will ever be. We need to force Russia to stop oppressing their homosexual community. How better to do it than have some of the world's top nations boycott it. We'll do a 1980 America.
Russia,Imperialism, fascism, Religion, Speedo-clad politicians and North Korea
Team Reek, Centralised EU, Australia, NATO, Ukraine(Kiev Rus), Poland, China, Obama and Democrat led Murica
'Straya

This user deplores oxygen pirates, so oxygen pirates beware.

Brocwika
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Just think how powerful it will be when a winner of a gold medal says "I support the struggle of the LGBT community in Russia" then gets dragged off by Russian police in full view of cameras.

There's no way they'd do that, they know it would look even worse for them...right?

OF COURSE they wouldn't do it in daylight. The KGB FSB would knock on their door at midnight. Old habits die hard.
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Russia loves Tourism. You have to be deluded to think that we're going to beat up thousands of Tourists.

*cough Putin's lapdog*

Don't worry I'll wait as you forward this question to the Politburo! Undoubtedly Russia is innocent in all of this and should get a Nobel Peace Prize, just cuz.

I've opposed Putin on Libya, and I'm opposing Putin on this. But if you're looking for a job in the Politburo, why don't you ask Mutko. You two would get along splendidly.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Reddogkeno101 wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I've heard that it's apparently too late to change the location and boycotting wouldn't be fair to the athletes.

Frankly, in my opinion, the struggles of the gay and lesbian communities is far bigger than any athletes will ever be. We need to force Russia to stop oppressing their homosexual community. How better to do it than have some of the world's top nations boycott it. We'll do a 1980 America.

I don't think nations will boycott.
I just don't see it happening, what I do see happening is athletes and visitors attending and there will be protesters.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Just think how powerful it will be when a winner of a gold medal says "I support the struggle of the LGBT community in Russia" then gets dragged off by Russian police in full view of cameras.

Even without cameras looking at then, the arrest will be the trigger. If it happens in front of cameras, bonus points. And I guarantee you once an athlete states their support, people will have cameras on him/her at all times to film the arrest.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Brocwika wrote:
Genivaria wrote:There's no way they'd do that, they know it would look even worse for them...right?

OF COURSE they wouldn't do it in daylight. The KGB FSB would knock on their door at midnight. Old habits die hard.

No, not really. Night vision cameras are known to work quite well.

Anyways, who are the Gay Olympic Athletes that are open about who they are, and have a chance at winning the Gold Medal? Anyone know?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Genivaria wrote:There's no way they'd do that, they know it would look even worse for them...right?

Even without cameras looking at then, the arrest will be the trigger. If it happens in front of cameras, bonus points. And I guarantee you once an athlete states their support, people will have cameras on him/her at all times to film the arrest.

Trigger for what exactly? I doubt there'd be riots in the stands over it. Booing perhaps but let's not get over-dramatic.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm

The Carlisle wrote:

Yet another reason why this is stupid. There's no efficient way to enforce it. Not that it wouldn't be stupid if there was an efficient way...

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Acadzia wrote:Why is it a shitty thing for Russians to not want foreigners to influence their children.

... Because, the morality of a law discriminating against LGBTs aside, it's an excuse for Russia to detain and suppress political figures and movements that challenge the regime as it currently stands?

Surely that's something we can all get behind condemning.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reddogkeno101
Senator

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Reddogkeno101 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Reddogkeno101 wrote:Frankly, in my opinion, the struggles of the gay and lesbian communities is far bigger than any athletes will ever be. We need to force Russia to stop oppressing their homosexual community. How better to do it than have some of the world's top nations boycott it. We'll do a 1980 America.

I don't think nations will boycott.
I just don't see it happening, what I do see happening is athletes and visitors attending and there will be protesters.

I'm not saying it Will happen, but it should. Realistically, I think protests will occur and (I know someone's already said this) hopefully some government tell their athletes or they choose to say that they support the LGBT community.
Russia,Imperialism, fascism, Religion, Speedo-clad politicians and North Korea
Team Reek, Centralised EU, Australia, NATO, Ukraine(Kiev Rus), Poland, China, Obama and Democrat led Murica
'Straya

This user deplores oxygen pirates, so oxygen pirates beware.

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Reddogkeno101 wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I've heard that it's apparently too late to change the location and boycotting wouldn't be fair to the athletes.

That boycott did nothing.

Aslo the LGBT community in Russia even opposes that idea, common sense tells you that it would do nothing good.
Last edited by Soviet Russia Republic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Shofercia wrote:
*cough Putin's lapdog*

I've opposed Putin on Libya, and I'm opposing Putin on this. But if you're looking for a job in the Politburo, why don't you ask Mutko. You two would get along splendidly.

I don't know what Mutko is, but as I suspect that is a Russian official and as I think the Russians are "godless reds," I don't think we'd get along at all. Maybe enjoy some vodka, a couple of hookers. A cigar or two.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Even without cameras looking at then, the arrest will be the trigger. If it happens in front of cameras, bonus points. And I guarantee you once an athlete states their support, people will have cameras on him/her at all times to film the arrest.

Trigger for what exactly? I doubt there'd be riots in the stands over it. Booing perhaps but let's not get over-dramatic.

A peaceful protest. If thousands protest, what's the government going to do? During the Bolotnaya Protests, contrary to mass hysteria, mostly rabid racists and alleged enemies of the state, (i.e. those with ties to Saakashvili Regime,) were arrested. The extreme majority won the right to protest in massive numbers, and didn't take any punishment. I highly doubt the LGBT community is going to want to start an ethnic conflict in the Caucasus.

Brocwika
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Reddogkeno101 wrote:

>Socially backward russians.

Believe it or not, some people don't agree with what you think, and that doesn't make them wrong.

This is an important life lesson right here.

Just being the devil's advocate.
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
Current Time To Doomsday

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Shofercia wrote:

I don't know what Mutko is, but as I suspect that is a Russian official and as I think the Russians are "godless reds," I don't think we'd get along at all. Maybe enjoy some vodka, a couple of hookers. A cigar or two.

I take it that you also failed to read the thread's OP.

Don't worry, Gen the OP was also stumped by the OP's post :P
Last edited by Shofercia on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Know the story (read it yesterday), don't recall every single name mentioned in it.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Honestly, on a serious note, I think that RD's Idea of Protest is the best.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Even without cameras looking at then, the arrest will be the trigger. If it happens in front of cameras, bonus points. And I guarantee you once an athlete states their support, people will have cameras on him/her at all times to film the arrest.

I hope that there will be no riots. What I mean by trigger is the point when the mass civil disobedience begins.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Avenio wrote:
Acadzia wrote:Why is it a shitty thing for Russians to not want foreigners to influence their children.

... Because, the morality of a law discriminating against LGBTs aside, it's an excuse for Russia to detain and suppress political figures and movements that challenge the regime as it currently stands?

Surely that's something we can all get behind.

Nah. The gays (or rather, the white, WASPy, straight liberals who are forcing their lifestyle down our throats) have the West. Let them have it, and let the rest of the world do what it wants. It's like, if you and I are two food carts on a street and you go pure vegan: why should I have to follow, just because you wanted to? Let all the meat eaters come to me, let all the vegans and vegan-recipe aficionados go to you. I don't get why we need Russia to capitulate to us. How would we feel if they forced, say, Russian Orthodoxy on us. Why do we feel the need to force Western post-Christian nihilism on them?

I gotta say, of I didn't have prior oaths and arrangements to my Queen and Country, I'd return to the land of my forefathers: Russia.
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Shofercia wrote:

*cough Putin's lapdog*

They'd deserve one as much as Obama.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Know the story (read it yesterday), don't recall every single name mentioned in it.

Not even if it was the person around whom the actual article was written?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Don't worry, Gen the OP was also stumped by the OP's post :P

It's yur fakking Vudka! :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General