NATION

PASSWORD

Russia - Gay Rights - Sochi Olympics Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be done in response to Russia's recent suppression of gay rights and right to assemble?

Move the Olympics to a different country
19%
Boycott the Olympics
12%
Create the most fabulous Olympics ever
27%
Economic and trade sanctions until the crackdown on rights ends
13%
Go to war with Russia
5%
Nothing - Russia has the right to crack down on gay rights and right to assembly if they so choose
24%

Total votes : 769

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Scholencia wrote:There is no much to debate here, the people from Holland violated Russian law and therefore they have become what they wanted; just like the police in the US would arrest somebody who is smoking in places where is not allowed. I bet nobody would open a thread about violating of human right of smokers and also nobody would say that US is a tyranical state and that Obama is a dictator. If somebody dont like countries where gay marriages are allowed than nobody is forcing them to go there; gay marriages are not human rights anyway.

Yes they are - read the UDHR.

This^. Marriage is a human right, regardless of gender and whom you choose to marry.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Scholencia wrote:There is no much to debate here, the people from Holland violated Russian law and therefore they have become what they wanted; just like the police in the US would arrest somebody who is smoking in places where is not allowed. I bet nobody would open a thread about violating of human right of smokers

LGBT people are not like smokers. You're like Rick Perry, who compared alcoholism to homosexuality. http://swampland.time.com/2011/08/24/perry-compared-homosexuality-to-alcoholism-in-2008-book/ Please don't pull a Perry on us.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Risottia wrote:
Rousseauvian wrote:
Not necessarily.

Yes, it is.

You might contend that you have the ethical duty to commit wrong acts sometimes - basically following a higher law, such as the Constitution or the ECHR, when a lower law contends with the former - , but breaking a law is wrong per se, else the social contract (I guess you should know what it is) is forfeit.

They probably chose to go to Russia as a form of protest. The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage, so if this becomes an international incident, I'll be happy.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Risottia wrote:
Rousseauvian wrote:
Not necessarily.

Yes, it is.

You might contend that you have the ethical duty to commit wrong acts sometimes - basically following a higher law, such as the Constitution or the ECHR, when a lower law contends with the former - , but breaking a law is wrong per se, else the social contract (I guess you should know what it is) is forfeit.

So breaking laws is wrong in ALL situations, no matter how bad the law?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:Can someone please tell me why the government and the Orthodox Church in Russia are best buddies again?

They both support Social Rights, so they bonded over that issue. Supporting Social Rights is awesome in Russia :D

Social rights? :rofl:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Australasia wrote:Russia, oh Russia, won't you ever be free?

Tsars to Communist regime to Putinist regime. When does democracy come along?

Not surprising that a tyrannical regime would be homophobic.

Globally speaking, democratic nations everywhere support LGBT rights while dictatorships are homophobic and backward (no surprise of course!)

When will Russia see an end to dictatorship? *Sigh*

Democracy is an alien concept in Russia. It always has been. That's the best explanation historians have been able to give. Submission to authoritarianism as part of the culture.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aravea
Senator

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Only in Russia...
Proud Deputy Speaker of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
★★★Proud Intelligence Minister of the United Monarchist Alliance★★★
Note: Currently in the process of overhauling the Aravean factbooks/canon.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:Can someone please tell me why the government and the Orthodox Church in Russia are best buddies again?

They both support Social Rights, so they bonded over that issue. Supporting Social Rights is awesome in Russia :D

They clearly also both support homophobia and oppressing LGBT people.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:
Like what? The right to discriminate people based on sexuality?

No, when Shof talks about social rights he means stuff like guaranteed income, free health care, welfare etc. Which is apparently more important than civil rights.

I'd rather be poor and free than wealthy and oppressed.

Russian healthcare is terrible. https://docs.google.com/viewer?docex=1&url=http://www.du.edu/korbel/hrhw/researchdigest/russia/health.pdf The life expectancy is only 69.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Australasia wrote:Russia, oh Russia, won't you ever be free?

Tsars to Communist regime to Putinist regime. When does democracy come along?

Not surprising that a tyrannical regime would be homophobic.

Globally speaking, democratic nations everywhere support LGBT rights while dictatorships are homophobic and backward (no surprise of course!)

When will Russia see an end to dictatorship? *Sigh*

Democracy is an alien concept in Russia. It always has been. That's the best explanation historians have been able to give. Submission to authoritarianism as part of the culture.

I've always wondered why they haven't actually had democracy.

Probably because they were one of the last nations (Except for a few today) to rid themselves of the Monarchy.
Forever a Communist

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Scholencia wrote:There is no much to debate here, the people from Holland violated Russian law and therefore they have become what they wanted; just like the police in the US would arrest somebody who is smoking in places where is not allowed. I bet nobody would open a thread about violating of human right of smokers and also nobody would say that US is a tyranical state and that Obama is a dictator. If somebody dont like countries where gay marriages are allowed than nobody is forcing them to go there; gay marriages are not human rights anyway.

"The people from Holland"

A Dutch person would have a field day.

:rofl:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Knask wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote: Nations have the right to pass discriminatory laws, but not those that call for genocide.

Russia voluntarily gave up that right when they joined the CoE and became bound by the ECHR.

This.^ Russia doesn't have complete freedom to make their laws. Putin can't complain now.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Here's what I'm wondering, in terms of the legality of what they did: what right did they have to be in Russia?

Countries aren't required to have open borders for every single person who wants to make a documentary about this or that. It'd certainly be nice, but it ain't the law. Russians cannot enter Holland, to make a documentary on a whim. Russians have to abide by the law. Conversely, so do the Dutch, when entering Russia. So I'm wondering, what Visa did they use to enter? Were their activities covered by their Visa? Did they lie to the authorities about the reason for their visit? Lying to immigration authorities about your reason to enter the country is a crime in itself. When they held the event, did they card everyone, or was saying "I'm 18 or older" sufficient? I'm not talking about ethics or morality, but purely legal stuff, since there are posters here pretending that what they did was somehow legal. Even if the law is stupid, if you break it, you aren't abiding by the law. Ergo, you aren't law abiding.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by Grand Britannia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:

Bro-douchin' like a boss, I see.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:

The man's cold and unmovable like a steel wall.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Or calcified feces.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:

Or calcified feces.

I thought that was Gorbachev... oh wait, it was!

I'm going with steel wall for Putin :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:"The people from Holland"

A Dutch person would have a field day.

:rofl:

True, that.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Or calcified feces.

... Really? You're gonna bag on Gorbachev? Why don't you bag on the fat kid from school while you're at it?

At least Gorbachev isn't The Russian Situation.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

... Really? You're gonna bag on Gorbachev? Why don't you bag on the fat kid from school while you're at it?

Because the fat kid from school didn't have policies that led to ethnic cleansing, thousands of innocent people starving, a massive and violent break up of a huge country, and other nasty shit. Simple as that.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Shofercia wrote:Here's what I'm wondering, in terms of the legality of what they did: what right did they have to be in Russia?

Countries aren't required to have open borders for every single person who wants to make a documentary about this or that. It'd certainly be nice, but it ain't the law. Russians cannot enter Holland, to make a documentary on a whim. Russians have to abide by the law. Conversely, so do the Dutch, when entering Russia. So I'm wondering, what Visa did they use to enter? Were their activities covered by their Visa? Did they lie to the authorities about the reason for their visit? Lying to immigration authorities about your reason to enter the country is a crime in itself. When they held the event, did they card everyone, or was saying "I'm 18 or older" sufficient? I'm not talking about ethics or morality, but purely legal stuff, since there are posters here pretending that what they did was somehow legal. Even if the law is stupid, if you break it, you aren't abiding by the law. Ergo, you aren't law abiding.

So now you're accusing them of crossing the border illegally?

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:No, when Shof talks about social rights he means stuff like guaranteed income, free health care, welfare etc. Which is apparently more important than civil rights.

I'd rather be poor and free than wealthy and oppressed.

Russian healthcare is terrible. https://docs.google.com/viewer?docex=1&url=http://www.du.edu/korbel/hrhw/researchdigest/russia/health.pdf The life expectancy is only 69.

qq for russiaz
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Here's what I'm wondering, in terms of the legality of what they did: what right did they have to be in Russia?

So now you're accusing them of crossing the border illegally?

No, I'm just wondering if they lied to the authorities about their purpose to visit Russia. If they did, they're not law abiding. It's as simple as that.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:So now you're accusing them of crossing the border illegally?

No, I'm just wondering if they lied to the authorities about their purpose to visit Russia. If they did, they're not law abiding. It's as simple as that.

There's nothing to suggest that. Does the law say LGBT people are barred from visiting Russia? I don't think it goes that far. As a member of the Council of Europe, much of Europe should be after Russia by now if that was the case.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General