NATION

PASSWORD

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK!

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 pm

For those of you who have experience with this, either as parents, uncles, older brothers or sisters, friends, babysitters, or whatever else--what kind of music do you sing to young children as you rock them to sleep? Do you stop a song when you've noticed the child's asleep, or do you continue singing until the end? Are you able to tell when the child prefers a certain song?

Is rocking children to sleep still even a thing people do?

I'm genuinely curious.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm

My parents used the middle of the road pop songs of ABBA to get me to sleep.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I generally don't sing when singing them to sleep. I will hum, mostly from Jewel's Lullaby album. Yes I rock them - if it's the only way to get them to sleep and they're under 2. Most of the children over a year old and many under are fine going to sleep without it, but we rock the under ones anyway, if they like it. Very few of the over ones need rocking, and we try to get them to sleep without it. Exceptions are the ones who are having a fit and need to be held to feel comfortable.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Vodka (Korpiklaani,) Friday (by Rebecca Black but nightcored,) and The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 pm

"FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK!"
I REFUSE TO SALUTE YOU!

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I used to just sing "Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep" over and over in a very melodic fashion, but it always started to become angrier and angrier until it was just, "Shut up, shut up, shut up" when my brothers were small.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:45 pm

My mom would do this old Korean thing that was all "Jajang, jajang, jajang, jajang, uri aegi, jaldu janda"

I did the same thing for my baby sister when she was little because it's what I'm used to, haha.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I used to rock my nephew to sleep (and still sometimes do sing to him) using songs my grandad and dad used to sing while we were out camping/hunting/etc.

The upside is I always remember them and the tunes seem to work pretty good for putting a kid to sleep or entertaining him.
The downside is there were/are some rather blue ones. Of course, that just makes them more fun for him. Kids gotta have a crazy uncle that teaches them stuff like that, right?

This is a rendition of one of the only of these songs I can find on the internet, although it lacks a number of the curse words and verses I remember.

In fact, the distinct lack of many of these songs on the INTERNET of all things kind of amazes me. I need to dig around, I know my grandad wrote a bunch of them down at one point before he died, hopefully they're still around in a folder or safe somewhere.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:I used to rock my nephew to sleep (and still sometimes do sing to him) using songs my grandad and dad used to sing while we were out camping/hunting/etc.

The upside is I always remember them and the tunes seem to work pretty good for putting a kid to sleep or entertaining him.
The downside is there were/are some rather blue ones. Of course, that just makes them more fun for him. Kids gotta have a crazy uncle that teaches them stuff like that, right?

I hope so.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'm going to fit into the picture in about eight months.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 pm

My father has videos on record of him rocking me to sleep within a few minutes with some Celtic fiddle tune I don't know the name of. And I can consciously remember him doing the same thing, albeit less effectively, on my younger brother.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Phocidaea wrote:My father has videos on record of him rocking me to sleep within a few minutes with some Celtic fiddle tune I don't know the name of. And I can consciously remember him doing the same thing, albeit less effectively, on my younger brother.

That's actually pretty cool.

Actually playing it or just humming it?

Cadaver breadsticks
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cadaver breadsticks » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 pm

i play super high gain black metal at increasingly closer distances to their eardrums

works evertim trust me
do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
subtract 24,817 from my post count
another lgbt autistic teenager
pro: melodic hardcore, japanese things
anti: everything

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:My father has videos on record of him rocking me to sleep within a few minutes with some Celtic fiddle tune I don't know the name of. And I can consciously remember him doing the same thing, albeit less effectively, on my younger brother.

That's actually pretty cool.

Actually playing it or just humming it?

Playing it, although he often hummed along.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 pm

When my daughter was little, I used to sing John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy" to her (changing it to "Beautiful Girl", of course).
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Blekksprutia wrote:nightcored

Do you want your children to suffer pain or sleep
password scrambled

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:For those of you who have experience with this, either as parents, uncles, older brothers or sisters, friends, babysitters, or whatever else--what kind of music do you sing to young children as you rock them to sleep? Do you stop a song when you've noticed the child's asleep, or do you continue singing until the end? Are you able to tell when the child prefers a certain song?

Is rocking children to sleep still even a thing people do?

I'm genuinely curious.

My little ones liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq0j1xg0RGU
I identify as
a problem

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Ripple by the Grateful Dead, a nap time favorite.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 pm

I take proper songs and change the words for them.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

New Randia
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Randia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm

i keep a cd of soft classical in the changer to put the kids down with. pacabel's canon and fur elise by beethoven etc.
μολὼν λαβέ (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
Economic Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian: 3.74

"Lord, the money we do spend on Government and its not one bit better than the government we got for one-third the money twenty years ago." -Will Rogers

Enormous Gentiles
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 16, 2008
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Enormous Gentiles » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:07 pm

When it's the middle of the night, and you're sleep deprived, you'll end up humming/singing whatever comes to mind. Be that television theme songs from your childhood, pop songs, death metal, gangster rap, or bona fide lullabies...it really doesn't matter. But if you want to stock up on lullabies, I would suggest starting a Pandora station of Lullabies for inspiration.

And while you can't hum it...I do recommend this:
http://youtu.be/ENjKi7NkTNE?t=49s
Hammurab: Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. If you look God in the eye, you see nothing but a trillion angels assfucking.

New Imperial Clans: Shit, we all used to be bacteria, that doesn't mean I want to live up Lady Gaga's twat with the rest of the races.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 pm

No Music. Give the kid an audiobook. Specifically this one.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I got sung Puerto Rican lullabies as a child. They were alright, I guess.

I guess it's more on who sings the song, than what the song actually is.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:00 pm

The Corparation wrote:No Music. Give the kid an audiobook. Specifically this one.

Where was this book 9 years ago! :rofl: :rofl:
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:04 pm

If I stopped when they seemed to nod off, my kids would complain and make me finish the song.

I usually had to do a whole show's worth, at least ten numbers, and even then the results were iffy.

Hot cocoa helped.

With a shot of vanilla.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General