NATION

PASSWORD

NM Supreme Court Forces Christian to Take Gay Wedding Photos

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was it right for the NM Supreme Court to force Ms. Huguenin to photograph a gay wedding ceremony?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 565

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 am

Scholencia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Annnnnnnd who gives a flying crap?

Well, there are many so-called "communists" and "left-wingers" on this forum who act otherwise. Communism oppose homosexuality and every true communists should follow the words of Marx.

You mean every true Marxist.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
Why does "freedom from discrimination" trump property rights, freedom to contract

Why do unliving things trump people?

Ms. Huguenin is a person.

Wikkiwallana wrote:
and freedom of religion?

Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

The Catholic Church teaches that gay marriage is wrong. Participation in a moral wrong is also a moral wrong.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 am

Scholencia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Annnnnnnd who gives a flying crap?

Well, there are many so-called "communists" and "left-wingers" on this forum who act otherwise. Communism oppose homosexuality and every true communists should follow the words of Marx.

I don't know whether to laugh or scream.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am

Auralia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Why do unliving things trump people?

Wikkiwallana wrote:Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

The Catholic Church teaches that gay marriage is wrong. Participation in a moral wrong is also a moral wrong.

No, the Catholic Church teaches that being gay is wrong.
Not gay marriage. It's different. :P
P2TM Mentor
TG me!

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
Taking a photograph of someone is artistic expression.

Not inherently.

When is it not a form of artistic expression?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am

Auralia wrote:

Which doesn't give them the right to discriminate.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Wrong again.

The Church teachers that gay sex is wrong.

Not being simply gay.
Forever a Communist

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 am

Auralia wrote:

No, the Church teaches that homosexuality is objectively disordered but not sinful in and of itself. Homosexual acts are sinful.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 am

Enadail wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Unless they were doing something illegal, no.

So anyone who asks me to do their work, whether I agree with it, whether its viable, whether I know the client is going to be horrible and I'm going to suffer for months just to do the work, as long as they can pay me, I should have to do it?

I'm sorry, please stick to the original parameters. You said nothing about any of this in the question you asked me.

Hell, I'm Indian, and I refuse to take on Indian clients. I've worked with them a lot, and from hearing project pitches, I know when I'm going to be able to make a profit off a job and when I'm about to make a loss. I should be forced into those situations even when I know from prior experience its not going to go well?

Again, no one said anything about turning down something because it would cost you more than you would earn.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 am

Alyekra wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Why do unliving things trump people?

Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

It's not a religious issue. It's slavery.

Bullshit.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 am

Blasveck wrote:
The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:No, the Catholic Church teaches that being gay is wrong.

Wrong again.

Not being simply gay.

That's the pope more recently.
Though I haven't read the Bible (better things to see, and people to do.)
P2TM Mentor
TG me!

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 am

Enadail wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Unless they were doing something illegal, no.

So anyone who asks me to do their work, whether I agree with it, whether its viable, whether I know the client is going to be horrible and I'm going to suffer for months just to do the work, as long as they can pay me, I should have to do it?

I was unaware "horrible clients" were a protected class.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
It's not a religious issue. It's slavery.

Bullshit.

This person is being forced to work against their will. What else is it?
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Alyekra wrote:
Imota wrote:I never figured I'd use the phrase "he knew the risks when he took the job" to describe a photographer, but... she knew the risks when she took the job. She made his decision, argued her case before a judge, and has been judged in accordance with the law. What more can anyone ask for?

A law that isn't tyrannical, for one.

Not discriminating against people is tyrannical now? That's new.

Also I'm surprised an evangelical Christian turned down the opportunity to shoot homosexuals.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Which doesn't give them the right to discriminate.

Everyone, by default, has the right to discriminate. The question is whether the government can infringe on property rights, freedom of contact and freedom of religion by prohibiting what it views as unjust discrimination.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Alyekra wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Bullshit.

Oooh, next let's talk about how taxes are theft!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Alyekra wrote:

Not slavery.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

Blasveck wrote:
Wrong again.

Not being simply gay.

That's the pope more recently.
Though I haven't read the Bible (better things to see, and people to do.)

No, that's what the Church has always taught. Read the Catechism.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 am

Oglach wrote:
Enadail wrote:

Hell, I'm Indian, and I refuse to take on Indian clients. I've worked with them a lot, and from hearing project pitches, I know when I'm going to be able to make a profit off a job and when I'm about to make a loss. I should be forced into those situations even when I know from prior experience its not going to go well?

You see this isn't at all what was said or what happened.

And if you look back up the conversation here, the question was if I should be allowed to turn down business if I object to the person requesting it, and i was told unless its illegal, no. Just like I object to taking business from Indians, because I have experience in hearing business proposals and know how they go.

In this situation, a private photography company refused to take on clients, and I'm not seeing an issue. Yes, as per the law, they did wrong, but I also think the law is wrong in this case. They government should not discriminate, and should work to ending discrimination, but not force it. Education is what ends discrimination, not forcing people to take on work they don't want.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 am

Alyekra wrote:

It's something called "having a job".
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 am

Auralia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

The same Catholic Church with a track record of quietly shuffling around priests who had a habit of blowing their loads inside the buttocks of young boys. Uh huh.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 am

Bottle wrote:
Alyekra wrote:

Oooh, next let's talk about how taxes are theft!

Taxes are justified because they are in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest. I don't think increasing the number of gay wedding photographers is a compelling governmental interest.

Oglach
Secretary

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oglach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 am

Enadail wrote:
Oglach wrote:
You see this isn't at all what was said or what happened.

And if you look back up the conversation here, the question was if I should be allowed to turn down business if I object to the person requesting it, and i was told unless its illegal, no. Just like I object to taking business from Indians, because I have experience in hearing business proposals and know how they go.

In this situation, a private photography company refused to take on clients, and I'm not seeing an issue. Yes, as per the law, they did wrong, but I also think the law is wrong in this case. They government should not discriminate, and should work to ending discrimination, but not force it. Education is what ends discrimination, not forcing people to take on work they don't want.

Yet their refusal isn't the issue. The reason for their refusal is.

Magna Libero
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 am

This use of force disgusts me.
Nothing should stop one from not giving a service to someone else.
hi

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 am

Bottle wrote:
Zottistan wrote:"WEEEEH YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO NOT LIKE ME".

You can dislike whoever you want. You cannot discriminate against whoever you want.

If this concept is giving you trouble, I would encourage you to phone your kindergarten teacher so he/she can explain the concept of "manners."

Manners aren't mandatory. They're obligatory, and you won't get far without them, but it's still an individual's choice to be polite.
Bottle wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Why should the restaurant be forced to?

In addition to your kindergarten teacher, call up your 5th grade teacher and ask them to review "1960s America" with you.

The difference being now that the people who won't serve x minority group are themselves a minority group, at least in a lot of areas.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General