NATION

PASSWORD

NM Supreme Court Forces Christian to Take Gay Wedding Photos

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was it right for the NM Supreme Court to force Ms. Huguenin to photograph a gay wedding ceremony?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 565

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:11 am

Oglach wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
Wrong. Somebody else's services are not a human right.

Freedom from discrimination.

Why does "freedom from discrimination" trump property rights, freedom to contract and freedom of religion?
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am

Auralia wrote:
Oglach wrote:

Why does "freedom from discrimination" trump property rights, freedom to contract and freedom of religion?

Cuz ur a homophobe.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am

Bottle wrote:
Cetacea wrote:I'm Bi and fine with Gay marriage, but I really don't think a business should be forced to provide services it doesn't want to provide.

Surely the Photographer gave a straight* "sorry we're not available" answer rather than a "I'm not taking pictures of dykes and fags so go burn in hell!"

and really why would you want the reluctant photographer and risk getting really shitty photos

*no pun intended btw:)

"I'm black but I really don't think a restaurant should be forced to provide services to black people if they don't want."

Nope, still not convincing.

Why should the restaurant be forced to?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Dragonic Outland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonic Outland » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am

If Ms. Huguenin doesn't want to earn that sum of money from the couple, then so be it. No point forcing her anyway, the New Mexico Supreme Court shouldn't even need to intervene in such matters.

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either.
-Albert Einstein

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am

Really? This is what we're arguing about? A woman doesn't want to take photos of gay people? Really?
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 am

Oglach wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
Wrong. Somebody else's services are not a human right.

"WEEEEH YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO NOT LIKE ME".
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 am

Alyekra wrote:
And yes, I know they (and others in this thread) insist this is about their Freedoms(tm). I used to scream "IT'S A FREE COUNTRY!!!" when my parents declined to let me stay up past 9pm, too, so I guess we're all Freedom Fighters together!

Last time I checked, the photographer was an adult, and the gay couple was not their parents.

...Whoooooooshhh...

Ok, at least now I understand why there's confusion about what a "human right" actually is. Apparently I'm talking to people who don't even understand how analogies work. Small wonder that the legal system is giving you issues.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Oglach
Secretary

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oglach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 am

Ruridova wrote:Really? This is what we're arguing about? A woman doesn't want to take photos of gay people? Really?

What would you prefer?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 am

Alyekra wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Because clearly she'll be sent to prison or shot if she doesn't snap the wedding photo.

Do you think the NM court was just asking politely?

Do you think prison and death are the only legal punishments available in this country?

Alyekra wrote:
Avenio wrote:You know, a few years ago, I might hve argued that these sorts of laws, while having good intentions, infringed on too many rights and caused too many people to become embittered against progress to be worthwhile.

But now? I'm absolutely for them.

I've seen how certain subsets are digging in their heels and are having to be dragged kicking and screaming into providing LGTB people even with the simple right to exist, let alone marry or have children or have normal lives. They're never going to support LGTB rights legislation without legal teeth, and will work actively against them if no penalty is levied. They're already embittered, and trying to tiptoe around their freedoms to be bigots will only embolden them.

These laws will stop being necessary the day LGTB rights are fully integrated into the fabric of society. Until that far off day, laws like this are necessary evils.

Yeah! Forget about free speech! Human rights aren't as important as this special interest group!

What speech?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

By the way, for anyone who's interested in these kinds of cases, I recommend this book.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

I have no problem with this.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Scholencia wrote:Marx said and Lenin quoted him that homosexuality is a burgeouise decadency.

Annnnnnnd who gives a flying crap?

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Zottistan wrote:
Oglach wrote:

You can dislike whoever you want. You cannot discriminate against whoever you want.

If this concept is giving you trouble, I would encourage you to phone your kindergarten teacher so he/she can explain the concept of "manners."
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Oglach
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Oglach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Zottistan wrote:
Oglach wrote:

She has plenty of that right. No-one has infringed upon it.

Keep trying.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:What speech?

Taking a photograph of someone is artistic expression.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Zottistan wrote:
Bottle wrote:"I'm black but I really don't think a restaurant should be forced to provide services to black people if they don't want."

Nope, still not convincing.

Why should the restaurant be forced to?

In addition to your kindergarten teacher, call up your 5th grade teacher and ask them to review "1960s America" with you.

Scholencia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Scholencia wrote:Marx said and Lenin quoted him that homosexuality is a burgeouise decadency.

Annnnnnnd who gives a flying crap?

Well, there are many so-called "communists" and "left-wingers" on this forum who act otherwise. Communism oppose homosexuality and every true communists should follow the words of Marx.
Last edited by Scholencia on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Enadail wrote:
And as a web developer, if a cult that I felt was immoral asked me to build their website, I shouldn't be able to tell them no? After all, I'd be discriminating based on their religion...

Unless they were doing something illegal, no.

So anyone who asks me to do their work, whether I agree with it, whether its viable, whether I know the client is going to be horrible and I'm going to suffer for months just to do the work, as long as they can pay me, I should have to do it?

Hell, I'm Indian, and I refuse to take on Indian clients. I've worked with them a lot, and from hearing project pitches, I know when I'm going to be able to make a profit off a job and when I'm about to make a loss. I should be forced into those situations even when I know from prior experience its not going to go well?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Auralia wrote:
Oglach wrote:

Why does "freedom from discrimination" trump property rights, freedom to contract

Why do unliving things trump people?

and freedom of religion?

Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Bottle wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Why should the restaurant be forced to?

In addition to your kindergarten teacher, call up your 5th grade teacher and ask them to review "1960s America" with you.

Wasn't that a time when the STATE mandated segregation? Which is vastly different then a private business doing it.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Bottle wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Why should the restaurant be forced to?

The period when the government (specifically the Democrats) were enforcing segregation, which is not what's happening here.

65 dkp

Oglach
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Oglach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Enadail wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Unless they were doing something illegal, no.

So anyone who asks me to do their work, whether I agree with it, whether its viable, whether I know the client is going to be horrible and I'm going to suffer for months just to do the work, as long as they can pay me, I should have to do it?

Hell, I'm Indian, and I refuse to take on Indian clients. I've worked with them a lot, and from hearing project pitches, I know when I'm going to be able to make a profit off a job and when I'm about to make a loss. I should be forced into those situations even when I know from prior experience its not going to go well?

You see this isn't at all what was said or what happened.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
Why does "freedom from discrimination" trump property rights, freedom to contract

Why do unliving things trump people?

and freedom of religion?

Where does religion say "Thou shalt not take photos of gay people"?

It's not a religious issue. It's slavery.

65 dkp

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Scholencia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Annnnnnnd who gives a flying crap?

Well, there are many so-called "communists" and "left-wingers" on this forum who act otherwise. Communism oppose homosexuality and every true communists should follow the words of Marx.

Like hell.

Next time you try to make a point about the left, please don't make blatant generalizations.
Forever a Communist

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am

Auralia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:What speech?

Taking a photograph of someone is artistic expression.

Not inherently.

Xenohumanity wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General