NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity and Homosexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Roten wrote:Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world,

Yeah, it's called physics.

and morality is not relative.

And you should be able to prove this claim. Sam Harris actually argues quite convincingly for moral realism, but you wouldn't like his morality. It is a form of consequentialism grounded in scientific reasoning.

but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

Only men have the right to marry women. Only women have the right to marry men. There's some gender inequality there.

Physics. Dang, UT, I forgot physics.

And yeah, a little gender inequality, y'think?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:And yeah, a little gender inequality, y'think?

Honestly, I'm convinced that homophobia is really nothing more than a form of sexism.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:It may surprise you, but there is not Absolute Truth in this world

Ahem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

You are wrong on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world, and morality is not relative. I haven't yet told someone that they will perish in the fires of torment because of their sins, but I do tell them they're wrong, using rational, secular evidence if they don't listen to religious evidence (which most, I'm sure, don't). I haven't voted yet (Too young, I will next election! Out with Harry Reid!), but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

If there really is an absolute truth, as you claim, you should have no problem proving it. Care to?
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Nova Magna Germania wrote:You are wrong on this one.

How am I? You are aware that quantum mechanics has rules, right?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Honestly, I'm convinced that homophobia is really nothing more than a form of sexism.

How so?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world, and morality is not relative. I haven't yet told someone that they will perish in the fires of torment because of their sins, but I do tell them they're wrong, using rational, secular evidence if they don't listen to religious evidence (which most, I'm sure, don't). I haven't voted yet (Too young, I will next election! Out with Harry Reid!), but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

If there really is an absolute truth, as you claim, you should have no problem proving it. Care to?

He has to answer me first. Then you.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Rolling squid wrote:If there really is an absolute truth, as you claim, you should have no problem proving it. Care to?

I can prove several. It's just that none of them have fuck-all to do with morality.

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Nova Magna Germania wrote:You are wrong on this one.

How am I? You are aware that quantum mechanics has rules, right?

Yes but the results of quantum pyhs is about possibilities, not exact numbers.

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Rolling squid wrote:If there really is an absolute truth, as you claim, you should have no problem proving it. Care to?

I can prove several. It's just that none of them have fuck-all to do with morality.

absolute truths, in their very nature, have a moral value inherent in them. What you have are called laws.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 pm

there is certainly a big element of sexism in it.
whatever

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Farnhamia wrote:How so?

Gay men are hated because they aren't following their "roles." This could be their roles in the bedroom or their roles in society. (A lot of homophobes think that all gays are effeminate.)

It's really the same with you Les Bos. (South Park reference ftw)

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Nova Magna Germania wrote:Yes but the results of quantum pyhs is about possibilities, not exact numbers.

There are several exact numbers, such as the fine structure constant, that are computed with quantum theory

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Rolling squid wrote:absolute truths, in their very nature, have a moral value inherent in them. What you have are called laws.

I guess you and I have a different meaning for the word truth. I define truth as the set of all statements about reality and/or pure reason that are correct.

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Nova Magna Germania wrote:Yes but the results of quantum pyhs is about possibilities, not exact numbers.

There are several exact numbers, such as the fine structure constant, that are computed with quantum theory

Hmm, maybe physical constants, yes, but not entire physics.

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Last edited by Nova Magna Germania on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 pm

JuNii wrote:
Dempublicents1 wrote:
JuNii wrote:you only are counting them if they are VOCAL about it and seek to ban it. yet you seem to have ignored my post that said Divorce is already in the law books, and hence why they are not fighting it as vocally as to warrant YOUR approval because they already LOST that battle. hence they do what they can. by not acknowledging it in the eyes of the Church.

Laws can change. Are you saying that, once same-sex marriage is legalized, all those opposed will shut up and just privately not approve? Because I don't really think that's the way it works.

I think the difference here is that Catholics, in general, are quite happy with being different from other religions and from the law in this matter and thus don't try to force it on others. For some reason, however, many are not content with personally disapproving of same-sex marriage. Instead, they have to try to encode that disapproval into law.
as some some say, some churches don't allow divorce.

Some churches don't recognize divorce. But the law does, and churches in general seem quite happy to let that stand.

Dempublicents1 wrote:
Prostitution (a major source of 'infidelity') is illegal and 'those' Christians are fighting to keep it that way.

Do you honestly believe that the majority of affairs are with prostitutes? If not, I don't really see how prostitution is relevant.
going by the supposed viewpoints of UT's "Type of Christians". ;)

......so you think that Christians who vocally oppose equal rights for homosexuals also believe that the vast majority of affairs are prostitution?

Ashmoria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:as societal problems, they are not equal.

Correct, divorce is a far worse social problem than any potential problems that could be caused by gay marriage.

in your opinion.

but

divorce is a lost battle, gay marriage is one that can still be won.

Ok, so divorce is already in the law, so churches that are opposed have all just decided to shut up about it. If that's the case, why haven't they stopped trying to make abortion illegal? If, once something becomes law, those opposed just throw up their hands and go "Oh well, battle lost," why do we fight some of the same legal battles more than once?

I don't buy this rationalization.

Roten wrote:We do not leave the others alone (or ourselves)! The only one we don't bother fighting is the working on sunday thing, because we can't fight it anymore, and it hasn't really ever been a sin.

Working on the Sabbath was never a sin? What Bible are you reading?

Divorced and remarried people are adulterers. You don't think I try to fight their sins either. And I have yet to hate a sinner (except possibly Bin Laden), I only hate the sin, and let sinners know (appropriately, not angrily, no bible-thumping) that what they're doing is wrong (it would be my sin to let them on in ignorance!). Obviously, I'm not a perfect person either, but I try my best. If telling someone they're wrong is 'hating', then don't tell me I'm wrong.

......this has nothing to do with whether or not you are doing anything to make their actions illegal or to grant them less protection under the law.

Farnhamia wrote:Which, you know, is almost always the case, right? Divorce can send kids through years of therapy, if they're lucky, or twist them painfully if they aren't.

Or make their home-life much better. Divorce is hardly a universal evil.

Roten wrote:Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world, and morality is not relative. I haven't yet told someone that they will perish in the fires of torment because of their sins, but I do tell them they're wrong, using rational, secular evidence if they don't listen to religious evidence (which most, I'm sure, don't). I haven't voted yet (Too young, I will next election! Out with Harry Reid!), but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

First of all, some homosexuals cannot marry a woman - since they are female.

Second of all, they don't have the exact same rights as you, even as it pertains to marriage. Your argument was tried in the civil rights era and has already been found lacking. Men who want to marry another man don't have the same rights as men who want to marry a woman any more than black men who wanted to marry white women had the same rights as white men who wanted to do so back in the anti-miscegenation days.

Finally, there are other rights homosexuals don't have. For instance, they can be fired simply for being gay in most of the country. Do you think you'll get fired just for being straight?

JuNii wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Call it what you like. Divorce still takes a toll on kids, as does, yes, married and fighting parents. Couples splitting up is a societal problem, is all.

:blink: :palm:

THAT'S IT!!!

it's not that we're against Homosexuality... the reason why we don't want SSM is the fact that should they get Divorced... who will the courts Favor?!?! usually it's the female, but if both are male or female, the divorce Courts would have to actually weigh the facts! that's why so many are against SSM! they would have to look at the FACTS for Divorce cases and that might Taint Hetero Divorces!

I GET IT NOW!!! yes, I am joking here!

:p

This post was in jest but it actually hides a good point. I do believe that a lot of the opposition to SSM comes from entrenched gender roles. All sorts of things about traditional roles have to be questioned in a same-sex relationship. Who (if either) should do the bulk of the housework and who should make more money? If they have kids, who should be the primary caretaker? What should they do with their surnames when they get married? And so on.....

Misogyny and patriarchy are both seriously challenged by the very idea of SSM.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

I believe you answered your own question...

And now, I am off!

Such heroic nonsense!

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Rolling squid wrote:absolute truths, in their very nature, have a moral value inherent in them. What you have are called laws.

I guess you and I have a different meaning for the word truth. I define truth as the set of all statements about reality and/or pure reason that are correct.

The laws of physics are certainly truths, but not Absolute Truths (TM), which were all revealed either thousands of years ago to people living in deserts, or to that weird dude on the sidewalk, and tell you if you're going to hell or not.

Roten
Envoy

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Roten » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Roten wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world, and morality is not relative. I haven't yet told someone that they will perish in the fires of torment because of their sins, but I do tell them they're wrong, using rational, secular evidence if they don't listen to religious evidence (which most, I'm sure, don't). I haven't voted yet (Too young, I will next election! Out with Harry Reid!), but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

It may surprise you, but there is not Absolute Truth in this world and Morality is extremely relative. When you're older you'll find this out.

Of course, you would have no way of knowing, but I, as a female homosexual, do not have thr right to marry a woman, just like you. So, please explain to me, using rational, secular evidence, why I am wrong in loving and being sexually attracted to another woman. I'll wait right here.

Well,since you're female, you have the same right, only in the reverse. Sorry that I assume almost everyone on a forum is male until proved otherwise (I've also assumed that you are caucasian, over 30, and on pacific time in the USA, correct me if I'm wrong).

You are absolutely not wrong in being attracted, you are only wrong in acting on it. Just like I may be attracted to a woman whom I am not married to, which is not wrong, but if I start doing 'it' with her, then I am in sin.

Anyhow, first off, Man (or woman) is not made for him(her)self. It is obvious from our basic physiology that we cannot be only for ourselves.

What is the purpose of sex? It is to make a child, right? That's the whole point, and if that cannot be a possible outcome (as with contracetives), then it is not good or useful or productive in any logical manner.

There is no genetic tendency towards homosexuality (http://www.narth.com/docs/nothardwired.html). If there was, then it would be out pretty quick according to natural selection. Homosexuals don't tend to have many natural children, right?

That being said, the tendency is an urge that is not hardwired, and like heterosexual lust must be controlled and conquered, which is a difficult task, but everything worthwhile is difficult.

there could be more evidence brought to bear, just my time is limited.
"Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!"
Don't open your mind so much that your brain falls out.
Noone has a right to demand other people's time and services.
THE PROTECTED STATES OF ROTEN
My Art (please visit!)

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:Ok, so divorce is already in the law, so churches that are opposed have all just decided to shut up about it. If that's the case, why haven't they stopped trying to make abortion illegal? If, once something becomes law, those opposed just throw up their hands and go "Oh well, battle lost," why do we fight some of the same legal battles more than once?

I don't buy this rationalization.

because they dont see the abortion battle as lost.

im pretty sure that, for example, the catholic church is still fighting legal divorce in ireland where that fight is only somewhat lost.

the insistance that there is something extra-special wrong with christians because they dont conform to some outsiders theory of how they should behave is ridiculous. people are people no matter what religious beliefs they hold. we are not particularly consistent or logical in our behavior no matter what we believe.
whatever

Bramborska
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Rolling squid wrote:

The laws of physics are certainly truths, but not Absolute Truths (TM), which were all revealed either thousands of years ago to people living in deserts, or to that weird dude on the sidewalk, and tell you if you're going to hell or not.

Ironically, to believe everything you perceive, even 'physics,' is the absolute truth requires more faith than anyone who believes in God would ever require.
Last edited by Bramborska on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Roten wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Roten wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Believe it or not, there is an absolute Truth in this world, and morality is not relative. I haven't yet told someone that they will perish in the fires of torment because of their sins, but I do tell them they're wrong, using rational, secular evidence if they don't listen to religious evidence (which most, I'm sure, don't). I haven't voted yet (Too young, I will next election! Out with Harry Reid!), but homosexuals have the exact same rights as me right now: they can get married to a woman or not at all, and I can do the same.

It may surprise you, but there is not Absolute Truth in this world and Morality is extremely relative. When you're older you'll find this out.

Of course, you would have no way of knowing, but I, as a female homosexual, do not have thr right to marry a woman, just like you. So, please explain to me, using rational, secular evidence, why I am wrong in loving and being sexually attracted to another woman. I'll wait right here.

Well,since you're female, you have the same right, only in the reverse. Sorry that I assume almost everyone on a forum is male until proved otherwise (I've also assumed that you are caucasian, over 30, and on pacific time in the USA, correct me if I'm wrong).

You are absolutely not wrong in being attracted, you are only wrong in acting on it. Just like I may be attracted to a woman whom I am not married to, which is not wrong, but if I start doing 'it' with her, then I am in sin.

Anyhow, first off, Man (or woman) is not made for him(her)self. It is obvious from our basic physiology that we cannot be only for ourselves.

What is the purpose of sex? It is to make a child, right? That's the whole point, and if that cannot be a possible outcome (as with contracetives), then it is not good or useful or productive in any logical manner.

There is no genetic tendency towards homosexuality (http://www.narth.com/docs/nothardwired.html). If there was, then it would be out pretty quick according to natural selection. Homosexuals don't tend to have many natural children, right?

That being said, the tendency is an urge that is not hardwired, and like heterosexual lust must be controlled and conquered, which is a difficult task, but everything worthwhile is difficult.

So you're over 30? 14 year old kids prolly have a better idea about "reliable sources" than you. I mean NARTH? Seriously? It's like quoting Stormfront on racial matters.

Oh and Gays and Lesbians do have natural kids. I mean, seriously. Are you really over 30?
Last edited by Nova Magna Germania on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Britta Almighty
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Christian Philosophy

Postby Britta Almighty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Bear in mind that they find all sins are actually not equal, and some actions which are considered sins in the old testament are revised in the new testament.
I.E. In the old testament it was considered a sin for a woman to sit for even a moment during the entire course of her menstruation... There's no nutjob in the tampon isle holding up a sign about eternal damnation.
Tell your nation- If they've got beef, we are vegetarians.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Roten wrote:Well,since you're female, you have the same right, only in the reverse. Sorry that I assume almost everyone on a forum is male until proved otherwise (I've also assumed that you are caucasian, over 30, and on pacific time in the USA, correct me if I'm wrong).

That source look pretty biased. And it's rather contradicted by this one.
Last edited by New Kereptica on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General