NATION

PASSWORD

Fairness vs. Results

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Verbal Pararhea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Fairness vs. Results

Postby Verbal Pararhea » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13666066

Article is old, but still relevant for the purposes of this post. A proposal exists (or existed) to abolish sending women (and only women) to prison. It was explicitly and obviously a gender-based double-standard. But here's the thing. The proponents of the policy swear that it works. Supposing, for the sake of argument, that they are right, that making prison something only men can be sentenced to actually works in reducing crime effectively, should it be done? It's not "fair," but if it worked, should we forego fairness in favor of results?

Personally, I'm not bothered, in principle, by favoring results over fairness. However, in this particular case, I'm not sure the long term results of overturning the rule of law would be a good thing. You have to look at all the consequences of a policy, not just the immediate ones, and I'm not convinced this would be all sunshine and roses.

Verbal Pararhea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Verbal Pararhea » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm surprised no one commented. I at least expected the "More proof that feminism is about destroying men! Misandry!" crowd to post.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Verbal Pararhea wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13666066

Article is old, but still relevant for the purposes of this post. A proposal exists (or existed) to abolish sending women (and only women) to prison. It was explicitly and obviously a gender-based double-standard. But here's the thing. The proponents of the policy swear that it works. Supposing, for the sake of argument, that they are right, that making prison something only men can be sentenced to actually works in reducing crime effectively, should it be done? It's not "fair," but if it worked, should we forego fairness in favor of results?

Personally, I'm not bothered, in principle, by favoring results over fairness. However, in this particular case, I'm not sure the long term results of overturning the rule of law would be a good thing. You have to look at all the consequences of a policy, not just the immediate ones, and I'm not convinced this would be all sunshine and roses.

It's not "overturning the rule of law," it's changing the law to achieve a desired result. And sometimes threads don't get noticed. Be patient.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Bar coding all citizens and eliminating any right to privacy would very much reduce crime. Sometimes, the ends don't justify the means.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Reforming the prison system to focus more on rehabilitation as opposed to punishment would be a much better alternative. They're right that the prison system isn't doing its job, but we can solve that by fixing prisons, there is no need to abolish them.

Abolishing prisons is an incredibly foolish idea.
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:40 pm

I understand the issues they're talking about, but I really don't fucking get the logic of being sexist about it. That's absolutely ludicrous.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Reforming the prison system to focus more on rehabilitation as opposed to punishment would be a much better alternative. They're right that the womens prison system isn't doing its job, but we can solve that by fixing women's prisons, there is no need to abolish them.

>implying the men's prison system is doing a better job
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:42 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Reforming the prison system to focus more on rehabilitation as opposed to punishment would be a much better alternative. They're right that the womens prison system isn't doing its job, but we can solve that by fixing women's prisons, there is no need to abolish them.

>implying the men's prison system is doing a better job

I never said it was. But this is about the women's prisons, so I'm discussing the women's prisons.

BOTH men's and women's prisons need to reform to focus more on rehabilitation (it works - look at Norway), but that's not what's meant to be discussed here.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Abolishing prisons for women is an incredibly foolish idea.

I don't disagree but perhaps the problem is that rehabilitation is hard to do in a prison environment. That may be the intent of the findings, even if they've been expressed incorrectly.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:>implying the men's prison system is doing a better job

I never said it was. But this is about the women's prisons, so I'm discussing the women's prisons.

BOTH men's and women's prisons need to reform to focus more on rehabilitation (it works - look at Norway), but that's not what's meant to be discussed here.

Just focusing on women's prisons is as fucked up as just focusing on white inmates.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:I never said it was. But this is about the women's prisons, so I'm discussing the women's prisons.

Just focusing on women's prisons is as fucked up as just focusing on white inmates.

Well, clearly black men are just a lost cause and should be forgotten about. *nods*

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Abolishing prisons for women is an incredibly foolish idea.

I don't disagree but perhaps the problem is that rehabilitation is hard to do in a prison environment. That may be the intent of the findings, even if they've been expressed incorrectly.

Rehabilitation is extremely hard to do in a prison environment. You're throwing someone in with people much worse than they are, forcing them to socialize with said people for a long term, subjecting them to an us-vs.-them mentality in regards to the law, and then releasing them and expecting them to find a whole set of brand new, non-criminal buddies and a job to match.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time.

That being said, I question the logic of sentencing criminals to an environment that is far more brutal, violent and downright socipathic than *anything* they've encountered outside. Prisons as they currently exist in the United States are simply holding pens for animals and anyone sentenced to them will become animals themselves in order to survive and upon release will much more often than not act upon the instincts they acquired in prison only to return again, producing a never-ending cycle of savagery and violence.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Olthar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Just focusing on women's prisons is as fucked up as just focusing on white inmates.

Well, clearly black men are just a lost cause and should be forgotten about. *nods*

Unfortunately that's an actual thing in this country.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Olthar wrote:Well, clearly black men are just a lost cause and should be forgotten about. *nods*

Unfortunately that's an actual thing in this country.

Indeed. In addition to the ludicrous prison-industrial complex, the American "justice" system, if you can really call it that, is notoriously racist. Even TV stars like LeVar Burton are legitimately afraid of encountering police in this nation. It's terrible.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Olthar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Unfortunately that's an actual thing in this country.

Indeed. In addition to the ludicrous prison-industrial complex, the American "justice" system, if you can really call it that, is notoriously racist. Even TV stars like LeVar Burton are legitimately afraid of encountering police in this nation. It's terrible.

Considering that we have people going to jail for victimless crimes, and the horrid penal system, it's no wonder.
Forever a Communist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Olthar wrote:Indeed. In addition to the ludicrous prison-industrial complex, the American "justice" system, if you can really call it that, is notoriously racist. Even TV stars like LeVar Burton are legitimately afraid of encountering police in this nation. It's terrible.

Considering that we have people going to jail for victimless crimes, and the horrid penal system, it's no wonder.

Well then, what do we do?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Imprison ALL the black people. *nods*
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well then, what do we do?

Imprison ALL the black people. *nods*

Besides that. That's already under way.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Cut the private sector out of the whole thing. Switch over to rehabilitation instead of punishment. End the Drug War. Stop hiring racist, power hungry douchebags to the police.
Last edited by Olthar on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Reforming the prison system to focus more on rehabilitation as opposed to punishment would be a much better alternative. They're right that the prison system isn't doing its job, but we can solve that by fixing prisons, there is no need to abolish them.

Abolishing prisons is an incredibly foolish idea.

^this. While I have no problems in principle with valuing results over fairness, I think that this proposal goes a little to far. If that's even the reason it was proposed, which I have serious doubts about.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

1. End the Drug War. Biggest waste of money ever.
2. Reform our prison system for rehabilitation. Sticking a thief in a box for 10 years doesn't teach the thief anything.
Forever a Communist

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Olthar wrote:Cut the private sector out of the whole thing. Switch over to rehabilitation instead of punishment. End the Drug War. Stop hiring racist, power hungry douchebags to the police.

Actually, the very thought that there is any for-profit corporation involved in managing prisons is obscene.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

That is preposterous, the whole point of prisons is to segregate dangerous/criminal people from the rest of society. What, so because the person has a vagina- they should be able to get off scott free for rape, murder, etc?
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Decriminalizing drug possession would be a good start. As as far as sales, just legalizing that probably wouldn't help considerably, as it would just put the sale of drugs in the hands of big business, and then the people who used to sell them would move to something like robbery. The real problem here is poverty. As for the penal system, that's a little more tricky, because unless you want to isolate criminals from social interaction, they're going to get chummy with each other, and probably end up being controlled by a gang.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General