NATION

PASSWORD

A World Without Prices or Profit

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Caninope wrote:Because you're making participation in the pricing system optional. This would increase the demand for bread (as people are more willing to take something free than something that costs money as per the law of demand) while decreasing the supply of bread (as people are less willing to make bread when they are not guaranteed adequate payment for their services, particularly as humans tend to be risk-averse).

Maybe if you went to a supermarket and bread was the only free item. But everything at the supermarket would be free...so filling up your cart/car/cupboard with only bread would simply limit the amount of space available for all the other items that you also value.

Caninope wrote:But why do you make the assumption that there will be an abundance of bread and not a shortage?

The supply of bread will be determined by the demand for bread. And demand is how much people are willing to pay for bread. This means that the supply of bread will be optimal...bakers will only be able to produce as much bread as consumers demand.

Of course, in no system is the supply ever truly "optimal". There's no such thing as perfect equilibrium. But markets get far closer to optimal than command economies. This is because "optimal" is determined by you trying to get the most bang for your buck...not a small handful of government planners.

Caninope wrote:And what if someone chooses to use both services but pay for neither?

Then they'll pay for the third service...or the nth service. If they have money...then why not use it to influence how society's limited resources are used? What else are they going to do with it?

Caninope wrote:Exactly. However, getting rid of the pricing model moves people along to different points on those preference functions. While this is most certainly not a problem in a system in which everyone participates in a pricing model, in your alternative model, people are allowed to use services without payment for their use. Hence, there are shortages. Your system does not deal with the issue of scarcity. Your system would only work in a system of overabundance, where there would be a certain minimum standard that could be met for everyone at a minimum cost. This is, however, a fantasy world.

The fact that you bring up the issue of "scarcity" means that we're at least in the same ballpark. Unfortunately, you don't see that you'll have unlimited wants but limited funds. This means that you'll spend your money on whatever shortage concerns you the most. I'll do the same thing. As a result, resources will be efficiently allocated.

Right now the shortage that concerns us the most is a lack of economic discussion. So here we are, sacrificing the alternative uses of our limited time, in order to try and address this shortage. And this is how resources are efficiently allocated. Prices are not needed for individuals to have the freedom to choose which use of their limited resources they value the most. It's all about opportunity cost.

So it's great that you know about scarcity...the next step is for you to learn about opportunity cost.

Caninope wrote:The problem with that line of logic is that people have a tendency to favor immediate and tangible gains (particularly with vague and long term costs) than the inverse, and this is only amplified when it does not apply to one particular person.

There are people who give up momentary pleasure for future benefit...and there are people who do not. In the world I described...which type of people would have more influence?

Caninope wrote:Let's take unemployment insurance as an example. It has beneficial effects, but allowing people to choose whether their tax money will be spent going to UI or not would result in quite a number of them choosing to defund the program. You're equating importance to society with popularity in society while I'm equating it with the consequences upon society.

If you can truly know the consequences...then what's your paypal address? I'll send you all my money.

Money that goes to unemployment insurance has to come from somewhere. Where should it come from? If you take it from the bakery then you'll have unemployment insurance at the cost of jobs. Is that a good trade-off? "We have unemployment insurance for days...which is great because for some reason there aren't any jobs!"

Again, just like I said with bread, if you want unemployment insurance to be a more important priority for consumers...then it's up to you to convince them that this one particular use of their limited money will provide them with more value than all the other possible uses. If you're not willing to sacrifice the alternative uses of your time to do so...then you can't really say that UI is that important to you.

I can say that pragmatarianism is important to me only because here I am sacrificing the alternative uses of my time in order to try and persuade you that it's worth it to sacrifice the alternative uses of your time in order to learn about pragmatarianism. This is scarcity, opportunity cost, decentralized knowledge and individual valuation...all of which result in the efficient allocation of resources...without any need for profit or prices.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Would be a world with a lot of expendable ensigns. :p
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

No.

Unless we live in a Star Trek-like society where replicators exist.
This nation is now being retired.
Good-night, sweet prince.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:Would be a world with a lot of expendable ensigns. :p

I see what you did there.
This nation is now being retired.
Good-night, sweet prince.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

Ameriutopia
Secretary

Founded: Aug 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ameriutopia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah see this is how it was when cave men walked the earth. I don't think it was such a good system or they would have kept it.

Oswor
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oswor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm

So it would be a communist state. Or monopoly. See these things sound good in theory but when they are brought to the test it doesnt work. Mostly because you can't trust the other party.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Xerographica wrote:Are prices or profit really necessary? For fun let's try and imagine a world without either.

If you wanted bread, you could go to your local bakery and select the quantity of bread that matched your preferences. You wouldn't have to pay for it...but the employees of the bakery would have the final say on your selection. They would approve or decline your selection when they were scanning your items for inventory purposes.

So...why couldn't you have the bread that you want, isn't the customer always right? :eyebrow:
If you were happy with the experience and wanted to give the bakery positive feedback (money)...then you could go to their website and make a monetary contribution of any amount. Their website would display exactly how much positive feedback (revenue) they received.

Aren't you ignoring the fact that people generally won't part with their money if they don't have to?
When bakeries ordered flour from the same supplier...the supplier would use each bakery's revenue to help determine how to divvy up the flour. More revenue means more flour. Same thing with the wheat farmer. He would look at how much positive feedback (money) the suppliers had received in order to determine how best to allocate his wheat.

So why should some bakeries get inadequate amounts of flour? Wouldn't this seriously hurt bakeries in poorer parts of towns where, though the bread may be excellent, people simply wouldn't be able to make an adequate donation if they wanted to.
Would you have an incentive to work hard? Let's say that you worked in a bakery. If you failed to work hard...if you did not improve on your recipes...if you wasted your flour...if you took really long lunch breaks...if you were rude to the customers...then your bakery would lose revenue and competing bakeries would gain revenue. If your bakery lost revenue then your boss wouldn't be able to give you as much positive feedback (money).

If you're doing all of those things in a world without prices or profit, wouldn't you just get fired? Moot point there IMO.
If you received less positive feedback (money)...then you would have less influence over how society's limited resources were used. You wouldn't be able to give your favorite bands...favorite authors...favorite restaurants...as much positive feedback (money) as you felt they deserved. Plus, your living accommodations and transportation wouldn't be as nice.

Again, wouldn't you hoard all of your"positive feedback" if you didn't have to pay for things?
So would it work? No prices...or profit...but you'd still have the freedom to give positive feedback (money) to those who were using society's limited resources for your benefit. And the amount of influence you had would depend on how much positive feedback (money) other people gave you.

[updated to emphasize that money would still exist]

Would it work? No. Not unless the world you're living in is some type of bizarre fantasy.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Ensign Ricky, what are you going here?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

Ensign Ricky, what are you going here?
Hiding from the gaseous life forms.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:00 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Ensign Ricky, what are you going here?
Hiding from the gaseous life forms.

Shit, Ensign Gil is dead. But we have the technology to bring him back.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:45 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:So...why couldn't you have the bread that you want, isn't the customer always right? :eyebrow:

I mean, it really depends on the quality of your product. Take the Soup Nazi for example.

The North Polish Union wrote:Aren't you ignoring the fact that people generally won't part with their money if they don't have to?

What's the point of amassing influence if you never use it? If there are shortages of the things you truly value...then I think you'll be motivated to part with your money. If it never rains though...then you'll simply pass your money on to your next of kin.

The North Polish Union wrote:So why should some bakeries get inadequate amounts of flour? Wouldn't this seriously hurt bakeries in poorer parts of towns where, though the bread may be excellent, people simply wouldn't be able to make an adequate donation if they wanted to.

So the poor people go to get crappy bread from the rich part of town and the rich people go to get excellent bread from the poorer part of town? Eh?

How far would you travel for excellent bread? When I lived in Spain I LOVED the bread. But you don't see me flying to Spain to get excellent bread.

Oh no, now I'm tempted to ask a totally "inappropriate" question. Well...I guess if you can guess the question then I don't have to ask it. If you can't guess the question then I shouldn't ask it. Problem solved.

The North Polish Union wrote:If you're doing all of those things in a world without prices or profit, wouldn't you just get fired? Moot point there IMO.

The point is that there would still be an incentive to work hard.

The North Polish Union wrote:Again, wouldn't you hoard all of your"positive feedback" if you didn't have to pay for things?

You don't have to pay for things...but what's the point of having influence if you're not going to use it to shape the allocation of resources to your benefit?

I want there to be a Greek fast food restaurant that offers the best Greek Salads ever. If somebody starts one...then why not give them my positive feedback? If somebody starts a band that I really love...then why not give them my positive feedback? It's one thing to set aside enough money for a rainy day...but any more than that comes with an opportunity cost that is too great. If there's a shortage of artichokes...then you better believe that I'm going to give some money to artichoke farmers. And given that I'm smart enough to understand that a stitch in time saves nine...I'm going to place sticky notes everywhere to remind me to give my money to artichoke farmers before there's a shortage.

What are your sticky notes going to remind you to fund?

The North Polish Union wrote:Would it work? No. Not unless the world you're living in is some type of bizarre fantasy.

You haven't persuaded me that it wouldn't work. Then again I'm pretty sure that I haven't persuaded you that it would work. But you should keep on trying.
Last edited by Xerographica on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:59 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out how this would work...
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Xerographica wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:So...why couldn't you have the bread that you want, isn't the customer always right? :eyebrow:

I mean, it really depends on the quality of your product. Take the Soup Nazi for example.

The what?
The North Polish Union wrote:Aren't you ignoring the fact that people generally won't part with their money if they don't have to?

What's the point of amassing influence if you never use it? If there are shortages of the things you truly value...then I think you'll be motivated to part with your money. If it never rains though...then you'll simply pass your money on to your next of kin.

But if there's no prices or profit, then why should you spend your money at all? Even if there's a shortage of things you value, you can still get them for free.
The North Polish Union wrote:So why should some bakeries get inadequate amounts of flour? Wouldn't this seriously hurt bakeries in poorer parts of towns where, though the bread may be excellent, people simply wouldn't be able to make an adequate donation if they wanted to.

So the poor people go to get crappy bread from the rich part of town and the rich people go to get excellent bread from the poorer part of town? Eh?

I'm not sure what you're asking here...
How far would you travel for excellent bread? When I lived in Spain I LOVED the bread. But you don't see me flying to Spain to get excellent bread.

I would probably travel across town (it's about 15-20 minutes, I don't live in a big city).
Oh no, now I'm tempted to ask a totally "inappropriate" question. Well...I guess if you can guess the question then I don't have to ask it. If you can't guess the question then I shouldn't ask it. Problem solved.

I can't guess it, but whatever. :p
The North Polish Union wrote:If you're doing all of those things in a world without prices or profit, wouldn't you just get fired? Moot point there IMO.

The point is that there would still be an incentive to work hard.

Yes, but the incentive has nothing to do with whether or not the society has either prices or profit. It's just one of the basic laws of business.
The North Polish Union wrote:Again, wouldn't you hoard all of your"positive feedback" if you didn't have to pay for things?

You don't have to pay for things...but what's the point of having influence if you're not going to use it to shape the allocation of resources to your benefit?

I want there to be a Greek fast food restaurant that offers the best Greek Salads ever. If somebody starts one...then why not give them my positive feedback? If somebody starts a band that I really love...then why not give them my positive feedback?

But if you're not actually required to pay for the salads or tickets to band concerts, then what motive is there to give them money anyway? Who wants to part with their own money if they don't have to?
It's one thing to set aside enough money for a rainy day...but any more than that comes with an opportunity cost that is too great. If there's a shortage of artichokes...then you better believe that I'm going to give some money to artichoke farmers. And given that I'm smart enough to understand that a stitch in time saves nine...I'm going to place sticky notes everywhere to remind me to give my money to artichoke farmers before there's a shortage.

I don't like artichokes. :p

I get your point though.
What are your sticky notes going to remind you to fund?

Wouldn't this be better worded as "What would your sticky notes remind you to fund?" :p

Anyway, I can see your point about people wanting to fund some things freely, for me it would probably be local orchestras and choirs etc., but to take that idea and say that we should do away with having to pay for anything because people would fund it (whatever "it" may be) freely is, IMO, going a little bit too far with the concept.
The North Polish Union wrote:Would it work? No. Not unless the world you're living in is some type of bizarre fantasy.

You haven't persuaded me that it wouldn't work. Then again I'm pretty sure that I haven't persuaded you that it would work. But you should keep on trying.

Same for you. ;) :D
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:I don't like artichokes. :p

I get your point though.

How could you not like artichokes? How were they prepared when you ate them?

The North Polish Union wrote:The what?

I guess you must be younger than me if you don't catch a Seinfeld reference.

The North Polish Union wrote:But if there's no prices or profit, then why should you spend your money at all? Even if there's a shortage of things you value, you can still get them for free.

The only point of having money is to spend it. If you don't see any need to spend money...then why bother to earn money? If you didn't earn money then it's doubtful that you would be given a luxury car or a nice house. Instead you'd have to use public transportation and live in a hovel.

The North Polish Union wrote:I'm not sure what you're asking here...

You brought up an example of an excellent bakery that didn't receive much positive feedback because it was in a poor part of town. My counter argument was that people would travel a reasonable distance if the bread was truly that excellent.

The North Polish Union wrote:I would probably travel across town (it's about 15-20 minutes, I don't live in a big city).

I wouldn't travel that far for excellent bread. Everybody has unique preference functions.

The North Polish Union wrote:Yes, but the incentive has nothing to do with whether or not the society has either prices or profit. It's just one of the basic laws of business.

Here you are spending your limited time engaging me in discussion. There's no profit or prices...but there is incentive.

The North Polish Union wrote:But if you're not actually required to pay for the salads or tickets to band concerts, then what motive is there to give them money anyway? Who wants to part with their own money if they don't have to?

One time my gf was ecstatic because a Kyochon Chicken opened near us. Shortly afterwards it went out of business though. Why? Because evidently there aren't enough Koreans in Glendale. But I told my gf that Kyochon Chicken wouldn't have gone out of business if she had given them more positive feedback (money). I think she learned her lesson.

The North Polish Union wrote:Wouldn't this be better worded as "What would your sticky notes remind you to fund?" :p

Pragmatarianism (tax choice) is a matter of "when"...not "if".

The North Polish Union wrote:Anyway, I can see your point about people wanting to fund some things freely, for me it would probably be local orchestras and choirs etc., but to take that idea and say that we should do away with having to pay for anything because people would fund it (whatever "it" may be) freely is, IMO, going a little bit too far with the concept.

The world I described is pragma-socialism (pragmatarianism with a 100% tax rate). But if we implemented pragmatarianism today...then the tax rate would be the current tax rate. Would the tax rate eventually change?

The North Polish Union wrote:Same for you. ;) :D

And I try and persuade you to give your money to artichoke farmers and you try and persuade me to give my money to orchestras. At what point are either of us so full of moral certitude that we resort to coercion?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General